INTEREST CHECK Roleplay on a planet I designed - Ġa'imun

T

TheRelicOfOwls

Original poster
I'm just wondering if there is any interest out there for RPing on such specific terms. The planet I created is more or less full fledged in it's design, in that I have a good idea of how it should look, feel, and so on. The planet also has the humanoid inhabitants which I would like to see if people would want make a character as.

The Ṡi'atalmi
are said humanoid race, they have specific traits that would come with how they look or dress, but there would be plenty room for modification for your own character.
Some of the traits that would be required for the character to be considered a Ṡi'atalm are:

- a hair color which varies between blacks, browns, oranges and reds. (they can be in different tints and hues)

- varying degrees of tan olive skin

- eye color usually whites, pinks, reds, oranges (the pink and white colors are considered the rarer colors) and Ṡi'atalm have no pupils, but a white or grey "disk" within the center of their eye which does not dilate.

- Ṡi'atalm usually have fairly lengthy ears with bits of hair on the tips (average ear length around 6=7 inches, but this is one of the less strict points)

- clothing is another way less strict point as it isn't entirely defining as to who they are, it's just more cultural. typically clothing is bright white, and includes golden jewelry of some sort, and red decorative cloth or dyed symbols. (again you can add other things to this, such as colored jewels and leather belts etc, but they are more or less desert themed). They usually have long clothing on to protect from the sun, and the cloth itself is then to keep it from being too hot.

- Ṡi'atalm are herbivores, they don't have canines or any method of tearing through flesh, but have powerful jaws to chew the tough shelled plants and seeds on the planet.

- Also, because of their form of sight (having a sonar-like organ in their brain along with their eyes) they can't just shut their eye lids and sleep. They have to go through a meditative state to quite literally shut off some brain functions. (this often also includes a topical gel that helps de-stimulate, or anesthetize the brain temporarily)
That's all there really is to the actual appearance of them, besides they are usually slightly shorter than a human (full grown male or female will be a little over 5 feet) and they live shorter lives as well - but that probably wouldn't be too important to actual RP.

The most important defining feature of a Ṡi'atalm (I also refer to them as Shiyaitans) is that they do not see things as other do. They do not require light reflecting off surfaces in order to produce an image in their brains. They actually have a sort or sonar in their brains which is their actual visual tool, while the eyes allow for focus on a specific part of what they sense. Because of this, they will not see things as you and I, they don't see things by color, but recognize things by what they are made of. They can identify elements relatively easily, and that is actually what makes the "color" of their vision. They can see oxygen moving all around them (though oxygen levels on the planet are much lower than on earth) and they don't see water as a transparent liquid. I think this part most of all will be the entertaining part of RPing as a Shiyaitan, personally. :D

interesting tid bits on Shiyaitans:

-Shiyaitans are not only herbivores, but also have a cyclical digestive system that is very effective. They do not defaecate waste as there never ends up being any - however they easily suffer from nasea due to not having large appetites (going back to how their digestive system works). They can go for almost the full day on a single meal - so long as all the right nutrients are included for a full days work.

-Shiyaitans breathe much slower to a human, but intake oxygen far more effectively (kinda important on a planet with less of it). A fit Shiyaitan will have a respiratory rate of around 6-8 breaths per minute. They're breaths are deep, and their noses are often a bit wider (as well as pointed downward to prevent sand from entering) than a humans - but it's a variable feature.

- The egg that Shiyaitans are born from, is absorbed into the back of their neck, it's sort of like their belly button except it's less noticeable - looks more like a patch discolored skin or a birth mark, each one usually looks unique between Shiyaitans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culture is actually still somewhat a work in progress, I have a good idea on what the architecture includes and some clue as to the direction I like the civilization to go towards. The fun part is making it fit the fact that they do not see like a human does. like, they won't have to much color because they can't see it, but the shape of things would be VERY intricate.

There is also a form of magic called "rune crafting" which makes up for the "technology" of more complex cities. Rune Crafting is the development of "Equations" using runes as complex variables, units, etc. It is a magical form of math or science basically, and possibilities are basically endless. There are a few vehicles that work on rune crafting, stone carriages that float through-out the largest of cities thanks to the magic of mathematics!

However, not is all deceptively sci-fi on this planet :P
the planet itself is an enormous desert, with a total of 3 large lakes as water sources that show up on the surface. The majority of the water used however comes from underground caverns which act as water tunnels all across the planet, and is the main method of the various cactus-like plants to survive. Sand on the planet is a good part iron as well, adding to the heat emanating from it, and it is the reason the planet is a sanguine color. The fact that the planet is largely iron sand also is the reason why any mountains or other Geo-formation on the planet are largely made of sandstone pillars created by geysers that never quite burst from underground water system, but build up enough pressure to push the surface up. - for RP you could make a rune caster if you like, but be aware that Rune Casters are a collegiate type of people and the personality of your character would probably want to reflect that. to get an idea of what a rune caster/ Ṡi'atalm might look like, here's a picture:

female_shihaitan_by_therelicofowls-d55x6p9.png

Rune Casters typically "carry" their Equation of choice along with them as seen in the picture - the amount of runes the equation takes varies.

A little more on Rune Casting: Rune Casting isn't exclusive to the high class of Shiyaitans, that's just the only ones who have schools dedicated to it. Nomadic Shiyaitans are also quite adept with Rune Casting, though they learn it by word of mouth as folklore and almost as a religious practice. Nomadic Rune Casting is more often used for a more arcane purpose, while High Class Rune Casting is used for "technological" and "Scientific" purposes.

Schooling: there is no other college-like establishments besides those made for Shiyaitans wishing to become Rune Casters. The schools are less of a school system and more of a community training type of thing for the youngins.

Plants are very different in this world as well, many of the plants could be considered carnivores, or at least decomposers. The majority of plant life on this planet can't simply rely on water (as only the largest plants can create roots all the way to the underground water system) so they also wait for shredding sand storms to carry in flesh to eat, or they kill something in various ways and slowly eat that. - as far as roleplay goes, if you like you can create a type of plant if you want to, and it can be as creative as you like so long as it seems more or less carnivorous or like a decomposer of something (not necessarily fauna, it could eat other plants or something, or maybe break down elements nearby for vitamins idk lol)

Creatures aren't as set in stone as the plants are (being primariy decomposers that is). The fauna of the planet come in many different forms (I've actually only settled on two so far). any new creatures that seem fitting are welcome, just no typical mythological creature rip-offs :P (desert dragon - denied)

here's a link to some of my stuff related to the planet on my albums (some of the pictures have descriptions): https://plus.google.com/photos/1105...335039760129?hl=en-US&authkey=CNbt86m-4aWknAE

If there are any questions on information that you'd like to know over this just throw one at me! Also, if your interested in this talk with me and we may be able to work out a roleplay for this - I'd love to be able to RP with someone else in this little world.

EDIT: I forgot to include what the goal of such an RP might be, and the answer is: anything really, I think a fantasy adventure through the world might be fun, but even a slice of life type of roleplay could be interesting in such a setting that even I might not know what could happen next :P

EDIT2: More Information on the planet that might be important:

The sun is a "less hot one", or a red sun in other words, but the planet is 2nd in line to it, and being that close to such a large surface area that produces heat adds to the desert state of the planet. It also makes the sun take up a little bit more of the sky. There is also never true night time on the planet because of a gaseous planet not far from the Shihaitan planet (4th in line) that has combusted into a mini-sun of sorts, it hardly produces any extra heat towards the planet, but it provides a dimmer version of their real sun on the opposite side - what's worse is that it travels in almost perfect synchronization with the Shihaitan planet, leaving the planet between this burning planet and the sun almost at all times. (it honestly wouldn't matter if there was a night time though, seeing as how they don't require light too see the same way all the time, however it does keep the planet at a constant level of heat.)

As far as the atmosphere itself, one thing I've developed is that there is a lesser level of oxygen in comparison to earth. animals have a lower rate of breathing because of this. The only other thing is a slight increase in helium on the higher levels of the atmosphere thanks to a plant that reaches high in the sky like a balloon. (It produces helium from it's inner bulb to stay lifted)

I don't know what to say as far as places not to enter, but I suppose one thing to mention would be that the largest cities are, of course, built around the 3 surfaced lakes, BUT anywhere else when a source of water is created by digging to the underground water system, a temple is erected around it and it gains an almost holy status. Places like this wouldn't necessarily be forbidden to go into, but it would be a place to be more mature or otherwise respectful and orderly. (the only other place with this type of status are the Rune Casting Academies, only found in the largest cities by the lakes)

Other places that you might not enter could simply be decided by the character being afraid of it or something really. Like mountainous regions might not be the place to go if you don't like giant flying species hovering around you, or heights. but there aren't any big "do not enter" type of places that I can think of right now.

EDIT3 (just pasting information as I go):

relationships depend on what part of Shihaitan civilization they are: the higher classes of the lake cities have many different ways for relationships to go. It can either be business related (something like a prince or princess marrying on a political basis), it can be purely for romance, or it can be as simple as pro-creation. In the larger cities I've always like to think that their would be a population law though, just to give an aura of strictness about the whole thing, but I didn't want to make it seem like a cage either so I still debate that little bit.

As for those of villages out in the desert: relationships are often romantically based, as the people in the desert only really have love and hard work to help them survive out there - the people of the villages are known for being very kind for this reason. Meanwhile, the nomadic Shihaitans will most often only mate with each other to keep the blood-line going, but there is obviously still potential for a romantic based relationship there.

Now how do they court each other? I've never really thought about this before, but now that it is brought up they wouldn't really go through a marrying type ritual. In the lake cities I imagine (for a business related partnership) one might make some type of official contract, but otherwise it would purely be personal between the individuals.

Now there is a cultural way these different types of Shiyaitans interact between each other. I like to consider the city dwelling Shiyaitans "Nobles" for this case, Villagers as "Farmers" and the nomads simply as "Nomads". Villagers can quite easily raise to the Noble status through business or the gaining of knowledge or attendance at one of the Rune Casting universities - in this way the "Farmers" and the "Nobles" are capable of relationships as well, but usually not while they are in the separated categories. It would probably be considered promiscuous for the noble to be with the farmer (basically, might be seen as a slut of sorts, though not quite THAT derogatory).

Nomads are nomads for a reason though, and usually only interact with each other (even though they often pass through the villages and cities).

EDIT4: families are usually set up as follows: there's usually the father, the mother and for almost all factions of Shiyaitans there is usually 1-2 children. Not much more given there life span and they way they reproduce.

Shiyaitans reproduce through similar intercourse as humans, but give birth to off-spring as a fleshy egg which the child inside slowly "eats" until they consume the egg completely and are then officially born. It's a slightly shorter period than human conception to birth (takes them about 6 months earth time). Because of this (and the fact that most of them are working with something) they don't produce much more than that per family unless they're nomadic where the goal is to ensure some for of your blood line sticks along.

Children are usually raised in a school-ish setting with other Shiyaitans of similar age. They are taught the basics of whatever "faction" they are in through different age groups. Though with the higher class Shiyaitans, if they aren't practicing rune casting or some sort of politic relations than they simply have fun. Parents and their children still have very loving relationships with each other during the two times of day in which there are breaks (I'll have to pull the info about the work day timing) as well as just before the time of rest.

males and females are pretty balanced culturally. There isn't really a masculine or feminine role as both parents are often in the same line of work and are both strict and loving towards their children. It is a relatively androgynous race.

Adulthood: Shiyaitans become biologically mature around 13-15 (as they grow/age faster than humans, while living slightly shorter). However they do have different traditions within different cities (only a few of which I've created - the other could actually be unique for whoever wants to make a unique story for their character actually). Some of the ones I created is for Rune Casters specifically, they are considered full fledged intellectual adults when they have finished the preliminary studies of the art. For Kusinoṡi (one of the villages) being a proper parent is considered being an adult. While for many nomadic races, you are fit to be an adult when you start to provide for the group by gathering food or otherwise help in some significant way.

so it varies not only by the "faction" of the Shiyaitan, but also from the region they are from. (regions are usually divided into sections by their location in co-relation of the lakes - which have individual names - these act as major directional ponts. rather than saying north, south or whatever, they would say the direction by one of the lakes (which are positioned in an almost triangular shape).

Perhaps an adventuring scientist lad from Earth could happen upon this planet? Or maybe some fellow capable of moving at the speed of light, allowing him to arrive on this planet?

That's just me. :O

I've tried this planet on another site with that idea (other people visiting the planet) and I didn't care for the results. It makes it seem as if the creation of the Shihaitans might as well be null and void as you could just make some god-mode character from another world enter it, and it just isn't very fun imo. I'd rather not mix genres and roles with this one.

You even have a language? (I looked at some of the pictures.) Fantastic! I would love to be a part of this.

well, I have more of the alphabet than a language right now, I'm still debating on finalizing some of the phrases and what not :P

but yes, I have my own number system (2 actually) and the sounds for the language if I ever get to finish it lol.

@Relic: Aw. So no visitors?

It could be via an advanced spaceship. Or a character or two that's just capable of self-sustained space travel and little else.

[MENTION=1670]Energy Slinger[/MENTION]: I'd really rather not, like I said, I've allowed sci-fi to be mixed with this before and it just wasn't pretty. It didn't mix well and the clear favoritism was always on part of the sci-fi characters. Also, I just don't care for genre mixes in general :P

@Relic: Fair enough. You still have a great idea on your hands, and if you want any help, I'm up for it.

[MENTION=1670]Energy Slinger[/MENTION]: that'd be great, thanks :D

well, there is one thing I might need help on: the amount of information I might need to include. Like, what am I missing that might be important for roleplay purposes that would help keep it within the "boundaries" of the world.

@Relic: I'll read it over a couple more times and figure something out if I can.

@Relic: Is there anything major I should know about the atmosphere? Perhaps the surrounding Solar System?

On a lesser scale, any areas on the planet itself you feel people cannot, or simply should not enter?

First thing that popped into my mind before I began reading once more. I hope it doesn't sound like a stupid question.

@Energy: Not at all! it's actually a pretty good question. I actually did forget to mention something about the solar system that is relevant to the state of the planet.

The sun is a "less hot one", or a red sun in other words, but the planet is 2nd in line to it, and being that close to such a large surface area that produces heat adds to the desert state of the planet. It also makes the sun take up a little bit more of the sky. There is also never true night time on the planet because of a gaseous planet not far from the Shihaitan planet (4th in line) that has combusted into a mini-sun of sorts, it hardly produces any extra heat towards the planet, but it provides a dimmer version of their real sun on the opposite side - what's worse is that it travels in almost perfect synchronization with the Shihaitan planet, leaving the planet between this burning planet and the sun almost at all times. (it honestly wouldn't matter if there was a night time though, seeing as how they don't require light too see the same way all the time, however it does keep the planet at a constant level of heat.)

As far as the atmosphere itself, one thing I've developed is that there is a lesser level of oxygen in comparison to earth. animals have a lower rate of breathing because of this. The only other thing is a slight increase in helium on the higher levels of the atmosphere thanks to a plant that reaches high in the sky like a balloon. (It produces helium from it's inner bulb to stay lifted)

I don't know what to say as far as places not to enter, but I suppose one thing to mention would be that the largest cities are, of course, built around the 3 surfaced lakes, BUT anywhere else when a source of water is created by digging to the underground water system, a temple is erected around it and it gains an almost holy status. Places like this wouldn't necessarily be forbidden to go into, but it would be a place to be more mature or otherwise respectful and orderly. (the only other place with this type of status are the Rune Casting Academies, only found in the largest cities by the lakes)

Other places that you might not enter could simply be decided by the character being afraid of it or something really. Like mountainous regions might not be the place to go if you don't like giant flying species hovering around you, or heights. but there aren't any big "do not enter" type of places that I can think of right now.

I think the planet is very defined in terms of keeping people out of certain regions and such.

On a lesser note, that red sun is a great defense against kryptonians empowered by a yellow sun. XD

@Energy: haha, that's great, never even thought about that. xD

Yeah. I mean, sure, Superman therefore cannot save anyone (Maybe that mini-sun could give him a teensy boost?), but you won't have any trouble from the likes of General Zod.

But back to seriousness about the planet, how does transportation factor, if any?

the only quick transportation they have are the inner-city hovering carriages mentioned in the first post - they aren't exactly plentiful but they hold a good 10 people or so. Like smaller (and flying) trains. As for traveling between villages and cities, Paluṡ on the larger side are used much like camels - it isn't quick travel but it is consistent, and there is enough room on them to carry luggage as well. There is also the rare case of Ulakor riders (in the mountainous regions) for air travel (i've even thought of floating villages that lay on top of the flying plants called Oġakar ). The air travel isn't favorable though because of the typically short distance of Shiyaitan eye sight, and they feel like they're flying blind that high in the sky.

Ulakor cannot carry heavy object like luggage, only a rider, so they aren't for long distance travel either, they are used similar to the hovering carriages in the cities.

Besides those, Shiyaitans will often travel by foot in groups (if they are of the nomadic sort, not belonging to established villages in the desert or the cities by the lakes). There are several methods used in their survival outside of protected cities and villages. The hairs on their ears are used to help determine wind strength and direction (a feature found on most creatures and even some plants of this planet). They also use tell tale signs of the Mi'aġal to tell when a storm is coming in. (as sandstorms on this planet can shred you apart, given that they're a good part iron.)

How do Shiyaitans interact with each other? As in, courtship, status or class systems... Is there a culture norm for relationships?

@GeekOut: ah, excellent question. As for actual relationships it depends on what part of Shihaitan civilization they are: the higher classes of the lake cities have many different ways for relationships to go. It can either be business related (something like a prince or princess marrying on a political basis), it can be purely for romance, or it can be as simple as pro-creation. In the larger cities I've always like to think that their would be a population law though, just to give an aura of strictness about the whole thing, but I didn't want to make it seem like a cage either so I still debate that little bit.

As for those of villages out in the desert: relationships are often romantically based, as the people in the desert only really have love and hard work to help them survive out there - the people of the villages are known for being very kind for this reason. Meanwhile, the nomadic Shihaitans will most often only mate with each other to keep the blood-line going, but there is obviously still potential for a romantic based relationship there.

Now how do they court each other? I've never really thought about this before, but now that it is brought up they wouldn't really go through a marrying type ritual. In the lake cities I imagine (for a business related partnership) one might make some type of official contract, but otherwise it would purely be personal between the individuals.

Now there is a cultural way these different types of Shiyaitans interact between each other. I like to consider the city dwelling Shiyaitans "Nobles" for this case, Villagers as "Farmers" and the nomads simply as "Nomads". Villagers can quite easily raise to the Noble status through business or the gaining of knowledge or attendance at one of the Rune Casting universities - in this way the "Farmers" and the "Nobles" are capable of relationships as well, but usually not while they are in the separated categories. It would probably be considered promiscuous for the noble to be with the farmer (basically, might be seen as a slut of sorts, though not quite THAT derogatory).

Nomads are nomads for a reason though, and usually only interact with each other (even though they often pass through the villages and cities).

I hope that explains it, not sure if I was understanding the question fully or not. :)

That explains it pretty well! Are there/what are typical family units? (By typical, I mean what the standard is for them, not humans.)