Riven: MNN/Irabus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamon nodded sympathetically to August's words- knowing just how he felt. He had also managed to live underneath the government's radar as a human for a long time up until that night. Of course he had to move a lot and adopt countless different alias', but it was a lifestyle he and Belle had adjusted to when they were finally forced to leave the forests. To suddenly loose that freedom had been detrimental to the man for a while. But over the past years he realized he needed to press forward...to find a way past it.

"It's been...shit," he said with a laugh, finishing off his second beer and cherishing the light buzz humming in his head. "If I knew where they were, my life would be exponentially better right now." Sure, it was literally hell on earth but that group had been the closest thing to a family Gamon had ever had aside from Belle. They made things....bearable, and being with them had given Gamon meaning again- others to protect.

A meaning which he had failed.

"That's why I was bugging you so much. I was hoping you might know something." He sighed, dreamily looking at his hand as he imagined a gloriously greasy slice of life giving pizza settled within it. "I've been trying to track them since I got out. Everyone- except for Belle- was taken...or killed. She managed to get away. And I have no idea where she is." The hand he had been looking at clenched tightly at the thought. This was the first time he had been separated from her since...their existence. While it was not physically killing him, it was ripping him apart emotionally.

Gamon let out a deep sigh, raising his eyebrows and forcing another smile to pull at the corners of his mouth as he looked to August. "Sorry, that got pretty heavy." He paused, looking to Al who had gone to occupying himself with cleaning more glasses."So, figured out what you're going to do with all that cash yet?" As much as he wanted to continue on about the group, it was hard and he wanted to give August time- maybe then he might remember more.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August sighed, staring down at the countertop. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Damn.” was all he could say, his expression furrowing. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I mean, I can’t remember any of them at the facility… but there are a lot of things I didn’t remember, and have recalled just today. So, there could be [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]something[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] useful in there.” August made a gesture with his hand, tapping his temple. Over the years, August had figured out that he couldn’t force himself to remember things, they had to be triggered by things he did, saw, felt or smelled. Trying to remember something just gave him one hell of a headache. It was infuriating. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]August sat up straight, thinking about Gamon’s question. In truth, he really didn’t know what he wanted to do with his money, or well, where he wanted to go. Everywhere was pretty much the same as this city; only slightly less corrupted, or slightly more. There was no escaping it. He'd need to consider it seriously. He'd need to buy a pass to leave the city if he left as a human, and he needed somewhere to stay. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I’d planned on using it to leave… but I don’t even know where I’d go.” August sounded and looked defeated. He was starting to wonder if the money was really worth it. It felt almost useless to him now.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I mean, I could go see my mother, but I don’t even know if she’d want to see me again.” [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August bent down, picking up his duffel, which he’d tucked under his bar-stool. He opened it, staring down at the contents of the bag. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]“I could just waste all in one night, buy some really nice clothes, go somewhere fancy, do some hard drugs.” He dryly chuckled, closing the bag again.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“What would you do with it?” [/BCOLOR]

Gamon gave him a thankful smile, appreciative that he had tried to remember as much as he had. "It's not a big deal- maybe one of these days something will come to you." He chuckled softly before finishing,"That just means you won't be getting rid of me anytime soon." His voice was teasing, however he was completely serious about that. The fact he had remembered him and Belle even if just for one single detail- that was something. And it meant all wasn't lost on banking that he might know something else that could prove useful in finding more leads.

The man waited patiently, watching him curiously as he thought over the question. Surely he had to have some sort of plan he wanted badly enough to go so far as fighting in The Casket. The place got it's title for a reason. However his brows began to furrow gently at the mention of his mother. When they had found him, it hadn't been long after he had been in a horrible car accident, so he had told them. His mother had been driving, and died instantly on impact. Hearing him talk about her as though she was still alive was incredibly confusing and left him pondering that perhaps he was remembering things wrong, despite having a memory like a steel trap. Either his or August's memory was failing. But, either way he didn't have the heart to say anything about it- especially if she was still alive. Fullbright had already had a tough night and it was best not to add anything to that.

"I would be really fucking impressed if you managed that," Gamon mused, trying to think on just how much one would have to purchase to get through and entire duffle bag of money. Although now that he was thinking about it, it wouldn't be that hard if you went to the right places.

"Well, first of all I would probably invest in some new clothes." Gamon grinned, giving the worn blue jacket in August's lap a playful pluck. "But, joking aside, I would probably look to investing in a local pizza joint. Just think- pizza. All day. Every day." And at that, the front door to the bar opened and a familiar face stepped in, the smell of freshly cooked pizza immediately filling the space.

"Praise the heavens." His stomach growled in agreement as he stood from the bar and went to meet him. After only a couple short minutes, he returned to August and put the two boxes between them on the counter top.

"Dinner is served."

[BCOLOR=transparent]August shrugged, his expression showing indifference. Usually he would object the idea of having to spend an extended period of time around a stranger, but now, August could hardly consider Gamon a stranger. Gamon had already proven that they’d known one another. He wouldn’t admit it, but he was beginning to feel comfortable, and even safe around Gamon. For the first time in a long time, August was actually content where he was.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it isn’t even that much money. If I tried hard enough, I could spend it in a couple hours.’[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Grimacing, he scooped up the tattered jacket and hugged it in his arms. The ratty blue jacket was the only item he’d managed to get back when he left the facility. It was the only material piece of his past that he had left.[/BCOLOR] [BCOLOR=transparent]Even in sweltering heat, it felt wrong to not wear it. August was almost afraid Gamon would snatch the jacket from his hands, so he slipped it back on. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Sounds like a good investment to me, I swear I could eat it at every meal--” He was cut off by the sound of the front door opening. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]August turned to look at the man that had walked in, the smell of pizza drifting in with him. At that moment, the thought of eating that pizza was the most important thing to him, he even had to stop himself from snatching one of the boxes from Gamon’s hands.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As a box was placed in front of him, August opened the lid. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes. It smelled phenomenal, better than anything August had eaten over the past few months, which was mostly gas station food and animals that he’d caught in his other form. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August picked up a slice, impressively managing to fit the entire thing in his mouth in one go, an action he’d quickly come to regret when the melted cheese burned the roof of his mouth. He quickly chewed and swallowed, taking the brief moment his mouth wasn’t stuffed to talk. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]“This is definitely the best thing I’ve ever eaten.” He spoke with a half smile, eyes completely focused on the pizza in front of him, grabbing another slice.[/BCOLOR]

Gamon was just about to open the box for a slice with August beat him to the punch, and rather enthusiastically at that. He grabbed a slice of his own, practically choking when he watched the other man somehow stuff the entire thing into his mouth. The unicorn coughed to clear his own airway, reaching out to give his shoulder a strong pat.

"Good God, Fullbright, take it easy. I can't have you dying from choking on pizza. How underwhelming would that be?" He said with a laugh, although he really felt for the kid. August had been through so much and looked like he hadn't eaten a decent meal in a really long time- Gamon couldn't help from feeling guilty for that. He had convinced himself he was to blame for their discovery, and they all might still be together if he had been more aware of what was going on. The signs had been there, he just hadn't taken the time to look hard enough to notice.

And the way he held onto that jacket, almost as if it were lifeline. He made mental note to not pick on him for it anymore as it obviously had some sort of meaning to him.

"Tossers has the best pizza, hands down," he mused in reply as he pulled a string of cheese that had managed to fall onto his chin. Gamon smiled over at him, finishing off the last of his own slice. However, the peaceful enjoyment was soon interrupted when Al walked back over.

"Hate to interrupt your dinner," he eyed the greasy pizza ambivalently as he cleaned a glass, toothpick now nestled in between his lips. "But I got wind of another contract for ya, Gamon. Interested?" He inquired, with a look between the two of them as they ate.

"Depends. What's the job?" Alphonse gave a brief chuckle at this, shaking his head gently which caused the earrings in his ear to jingle quietly.

"Local's been having some ruffian problems, but he's not sure who they are and needs proof. " Gamon slowly took a bite from the second cheesy slice in his hand, nothing on his expression as he thought. "So, that's where you come in." Gamon's expression looked rather unamused at this.

"That's hardly anything to go by. Sounds like a dud job to me."

"He's paying two thousand bucks-"

"I'm in," Gamon practically spit out before Al could finish, looking over to August with raised brows. "What about you? Want in?"

[BCOLOR=transparent]August continued onto his second piece, this time, eating it with slightly less fervor. Now he was able to appreciate the flavour as it replaced the intense burning in his mouth. He hummed tunelessly as he chewed; something he did a lot as a child when he enjoyed something he ate. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I dunno, choking on a pizza slice would be a pretty good way to go, it means only an inanimate object could defeat me!” August said cheerfully, holding up his half-eaten slice triumphantly. He quickly lowered his arm as Alphonse came back around, his expression returning to his default look of apathy, with a slight, brief twinge of embarrassment. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August listened intently, eyes darting between Alphonse and Gamon. The two conversing had made August feel like he really shouldn’t be there, and he’d begun to shuffle uncomfortably in his seat, tugging at the collar of his jacket. August stopped as Gamon turned to him and asked him a question. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I mean, yeah of course I’m in, but are you sure it’s wise for you to bring me along?” August asked, picking up another piece of pizza. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]“It’s pretty much the equivalent of a serial killer bringing his kid along for “work”. Okay maybe not that bad, but you get what I mean.”. [/BCOLOR]

Gamon's eyebrows rose in amusement, Alphonse's doing the same at August's choice of comparison. Gamon broke the silence with a laugh, shaking his head and giving August's shoulder a slight pat before turning back to the pizza in his hand. He munched on it happily before responding.

"Is that what you think of me, Fullbright?" He grinned before carrying on, "but, it's no biggie. I mean, who knows, maybe something might jostle that memory of yours?" Gamon gave the side of August's head a gentle poke with his index. Despite being quite the lone wolf, especially while on the job, bringing him would be an exception he was willing to make if he wanted to tag along. "What's the worst that could happen?"

"So, should I make a call and let them know you're taking it?" Al asked, giving a nod of his head to the goblin who was now toddling drunkenly out the door.

"For two thousand, hell yeah. I'll pay them a visit tomorrow morning." Gamon confirmed enthusiastically, finishing off his second slice as he rested his elbows back against the bar. "Although, I will warn you. My mornings are usually pretty early." He said to August as he reached for another slice- his goal being to properly stuff himself for the time being.

"Which reminds me-" Al began, turning his attention to August as well. "I've got three rules if you're gonna stay here. One: No crazy shit. Two: No loud music. And three: ya break it, ya buy it." The faun paused as it looked like he might be trying to remember if there might be anything else he was missing. "Yeah that's it. Pretty simple, common sense stuff."

And that was when the familiar smell of smoke drifted into the air, Alphonse snapping around to peer at Gamon over the top of his glasses. "Pony boy, I swear on fucking Zeus if you do not put that shit out-" He reached for the cigarette, but Gamon just narrowly dodged his grasp.

"Ah-ah. You owe me too for those pictures. One cigarette, and we'll call it even, Blondie."

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Sure, it’s your funeral.” August said, scratching his head. He finished his third slice, having eaten it at a more reasonable pace. Briefly, he considered picking up a fourth, but the temptation of eating the rest of the pizza cold in the morning stopped him. August wasn’t full, but at least he wasn’t hungry anymore. For once in a long time, he felt good.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August hadn’t mentioned it, but Gamon was awful ‘touchy’. It was something he wasn’t used to, and didn’t like. However, maybe it was the food and alcohol, but Gamon’s pats and pokes didn’t garner any reaction from him. In fact, it was even a little reassuring. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]When Gamon mentioned an early morning, August looked far from impressed, but didn’t argue with him. He was prone to spending days awake, followed by days sleeping, when he was able to find somewhere decent to rest. Maybe an early morning would force him to develop a less ludicrous sleeping schedule. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He looked up at Alphonse, nodding along to the rules he listed out. “I’ve done enough crazy shit for several lifetimes, I’m [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]pretty[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] much done. Besides, all I want to do right now is sleep, no time for crazy shit, or breaking things…” August trailed off. His face lit up, eyebrows lifting “Oh,” August picked up his duffel; scooping out two $100 dollar notes “for the counter top.” He said gesturing to the lines he’d gouged into the polished surface. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August made a face of distaste, the scent of cigarette smoke invading his senses, filling his lungs. Before, he was able to stand out of the way of the smoke when Gamon lit up a cigarette, but inside, he didn’t have any way to avoid it. It wasn’t something he’d been around much, apart from brief moments like at The Casket, and other places of the same nature. Only time he’d tried one was in his early teens, when pressured into it by friends. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]“Does smoking affect you like it does a human?” He wasn’t about to to judge Gamon for his bad habits, he had some of his own, too. He was just curious.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I mean, it does for me. Essentially, right now, I’m completely human. No stronger than a human, no less susceptible to alcohol, drugs, or cigarettes.” [/BCOLOR]

Alphonse placed a pair of keys onto the bar in front of August just before he was handed the hefty bills. Peering over it from behind his spectacles, he quickly put two and two together when he mentioned the bar top. The faun had completely missed the deep gauges that were now visible in the precious oak and his face quickly twisted into that of dramatic despair as he ran a hand over them. If there was one thing the man treasured- probably even moreso than himself- it was that damn bar.

"I think it might be best if we head upstairs now-" Gamon said in a hushed whisper to August, already taking the pizza boxes into his hand in slow motion- as if not trying to awaken some gnarly beast. Cautiously slipping from his stool so as to avoid any unwanted creaking, Gamon expertly began to tiptoe toward the stairs, motioning to August with a jolt of his head to follow. Smoke still billowed behind him, and something akin to very faint, muffled sobs could be heard from where Al was now bent over the bar, face pressed again claw marks.

Safely upstairs, he let out the breath he had been holding in a sudden gasp, chuckling softly as he looked to August. "Don't mind him- he's a bit of a drama queen. He'll be fine in a few days." A small bathroom sat to the right of them, where Gamon dusted some ashes from the tip of his cigarette into the sink.

"And, in regards to your last question: no, it doesn't." He gave a small shrug. "I've found it...relaxes me." Somewhat surprisingly, the man suffered from a tad bit of anxiety since he had been forced to take place among humans, and the calming effect of cigarettes were one of the few remedies he found that helped. Luckily for him, his healing abilities had many uses.

"Did you grab the keys...I hope?" Gamon asked, looking hopefully toward August's hands. If they had to go back downstairs to retrieve them, things might go a tad downhill.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August stood up from the stool, placing his hand over the keys and scooping them up, dropping them in his one intact jacket pocket. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]He watched Alphonse in stunned silence, his face twisting into something deeply uncomfortable. He wanted to say something like [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]‘It’s just a countertop’[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] but decided it was best to not stir the pot. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Backing away, he kept his arms flanked by his sides, half afraid he might accidentally break something else. August kept his eyes pinned on Alphonse until the last moment at the bottom of the stairs, where he quickly turned around and dashed up the steps. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Out of breath once at the top of the flight of stairs, August bends forward, resting his hands on his knees. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“You can say that again. That got uh, weird… really quick.” He panted, straightening up. “With that reaction, you’d think I’d just murdered someone he loved.”[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Lucky” August responded, “My mom’s brother, a dyr, died of lung cancer. He hadn’t smoked for over 5 years when he was diagnosed. Stage 4.” He’d never actually met his uncle, but his mother had held him in high regard. “Though we [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]can[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] potentially live a long time, we’re still so… weak, so human…” He’d realised he was telling Gamon more than he should be comfortable with, so he stopped himself, looking away. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The faint clinking of the keys against August’s phone in his pocket confirmed that the keys had made it upstairs with him. He sighed a deep breath of relief, pulling the keys, and his phone from his pocket. Handing the keys to Gamon, he checked his phone. A few emails had come through from some job search sites, and a few notifications for online news articles. He deleted the job search emails, and took a mental note to read the articles later on, specifically the one titled [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]“The Beasts Among Us”[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]. He checked the time, it was now a few minutes past 2am.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“If I had left them down there, there would be no way I’d be going back to get them.We’d just have to break the door down, or climb through a window.” [/BCOLOR]

"I think that might be precisely how he feels. He loves that damn bar more than most do in their lifetimes, I imagine," he chuckled softly with a shake of his head. The faun had always been one for the dramatics. However, the air began slightly more solemn at August's mention of his brother. Gamon fell silent, before deciding it might be best to discard of the menthol. With a quick motion, he put it out in the sink for the time being, deciding he would clean it up later.

"I hardly consider you weak. Human body or not." Despite everything the human race had done to this planet, Gamon could never bring himself to hold a grudge against them. It simply was not possible in the hard wiring of his own mind. "There's more to someone than just their physical strength and capabilities. You're only as strong as you let yourself become." There was a faint, reassuring smile on the man's lips as he took the keys from him. Turning his attention to the doors, he pondered over which one this particular key might be to.

"After that display down there, do you think knocking a door down might be the best option?" He laughed, "I'd rather lend you my bed. I don't sleep much anyway." Sure, Gamon could easily take the other man on, however Alphonse was the reason he even had a place to sleep. He'd rather take a few punches than risk that. The keys jingled in his hand as he took a guess and pushed it into the lock of the first door, a light clicking noise filling the hallway. Twisting the knob, he opened the door just enough to see into the small, dark room. It was small and simple- nothing but a small bed and desk in the tight space.

"Well, looks like you and I are going to be neighbors." Gamon grinned back to him. "See that door over that?" he motioned to it on the left side of the room. "That's the bathroom- my room is on the other side," he scratched a stubbled cheek as he came to terms with the fact he'd no longer be the only occupant to the bathroom. "If you need anything, just give a knock. I'm always up." The reality was he never slept- ever. Unicorns had no need for such things so he usually occupied his time with other things.

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Humans are [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]weak[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]. I’m essentially human… or human sometimes, so that makes me weak too.” August’s voice had a clipped tone to it, and he looked irritated. The years in the facility had made him form a deep, unrelenting resent for humans, and for himself. He loathed them, they destroyed his entire life; they made it impossible for him to enjoy the rest of it. A [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]human[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] was the one that hit his mother’s car and killed her, a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]human[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] caught him and put him in a facility, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]humans[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] were the ones that made him feel wrong to be what he was. August’s anger didn’t seem to last long, as he quickly forgot his festering hatred when Gamon talked again. It was as if it had never happened.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“He probably sees it as a daughter.” August quipped, a hand seductively stroking the door. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]He stepped to the side as Gamon unlocked and pushed open the door, peering in from around the corner. Reaching into the room, August’s hand found the light switch, and the small room was flooded with cold fluorescent light. It wasn’t much, but it was a lot more than anything August had had in the past few months, so to him, it looked luxurious. He walked into the room, dumping his duffel on the bed. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Turning around to look back at Gamon, it was clear he was trying to hide an idiotic smile, he was clearly looking forward to sleeping in a clean bed. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Sure thing, neighborino.” He hated himself for saying that. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“So, I’ll see you in the morning.” August was now impatient to get into bed, he could basically feel himself being pulled towards it. “Night.” He gave Gamon an awkward smile before closing the door on him. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Before retreating to bed, August found himself in the bathroom, pulling his jacket off. He washed his face, cleaning it of any remaining blood. He retrieved the lavender scented cloth he’d gotten at The Casket, washing it and ringing it out under the faucet. Though he was originally going to throw it away, he couldn’t bring himself to do it.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Soon, August was out of the bathroom. He crashed onto the bed, gracelessly pushing his shoes and socks off with his feet, and shimmying underneath the covers. It felt unbelievably good to be in a bed with clean linen, and it made him realise how long it had been since he had been comfortable. August could feel his eyelids become heavier, and his body sink deep into the mattress. In minutes, he was out cold. [/BCOLOR]

Gamon smiled to August casually, just about to return the good night with his own when the door was closed. He shrugged softly before wandering to his own door a few paces down, jingling around in his pockets until his fingers found the small key ring. With a rustle and a click, the door creaked open to reveal a room that was equally as small, however very lived in. Posters and pictures covered the walls and a small, messy bed sat in the corner. Next to it was a beaten old wooden desk the sat just below the single window, a computer monitor settled atop it with various papers and other supplies scattered about. A large cork board hung on the parallel wall with pictures of various people- ones most likely taken by Gamon himself- and newspaper clippings.

"Home sweet home." He muttered to himself as he could hear August rustling about in the bathroom thanks to the thin walls. He managed to shove the remaining pizza into the small, personal refrigerator at the foot of his bed before shrugging off his heavy leather jacket and discarding it onto the bed sheets. Flopping into the rickety desk chair, Gamon prodded the heavy motherboard to life, a low hum breaking the silence and a blue light from the monitor flickered to life.

In preparation for tomorrow, he decided to do a bit of research to see if he could find any information on this local, however with so little information his efforts came up fruitless. At that, his mind began to wander to the others, his bright gaze looking beside him to the cork board. His gaze settled on one toward the middle, the same young girl with the wide smile looking right back at him.

'I'll find you.'

---------

November 12, Year 2257
7:45 AM
Smoggy with a chance of showers

The city outside of the brick walls began to come to life with the first signs of day break- car horns and the familiar shouting of a particularly rowdy neighbor were most prominent. As usual, Gamon hadn't slept and simply kept himself busy until it was time to get ready for the day ahead. After a quick glance to his clock, he decided to make a trip down to the tiny kitchen. Now, he had no idea if August was a coffee drinker, however it was always better to be safe than sorry.

The Ninja 5v2 bubbled and whirred. the smell of fresh grounds quickly filling the air. Gamon had busied himself with skimming the daily newspaper, although why they still printed actual newspapers was always a bit of a curiosity to the man.

'Violent Hazardous Magi Shot and Killed'
'The 10 Steps to Magi-Proofing Your Home'
'Magi Online- The New Way to Meet That Special Someone'
'Governor Brighton and His Plan for the Future of Novascape'

Icy eyes rolled at that last headline, happy to put the paper down when the Ninja beeped angrily to signal it was finished. Quick to divvy up two cups, and make his way back up the stairs. He soon found himself standing in front of August's door, pressing his ear against it listen for any signs of stirring. Only met with silence, he gave a light knock with his knuckles, being careful to not let any coffee slosh out.

[BCOLOR=transparent]It was a breezy summer day, the wind picking up and throwing August’s hair about. He looked up, taking in the bright blue sky, cloudless and vast. His gaze turned back to the house in front of him, a small brick cottage, the front yard filled with a plethora of greenery. Thin vines clung to the face of the little house, tiny white flowers peppered among the leaves. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]The recognition wasn’t instant, it came to him slowly. It was his mother’s house. An intense feeling of grief grasped his chest, so much that it ached.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]August strode towards the heavy wooden front door, knocking on it a few times. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]The door opened instantly, a frazzled looking woman on the other side. She was easily in her late thirties, with dark unruly hair and freckled olive skin. Sobs wracked August’s body as he looked into her tired hazel green eyes. In front of him stood his mother. Before he could say anything to her, she drew him into a tight, warm hug. He closed his eyes, holding her with all his might.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]One moment, she was in his arms. The next, August clung to thin air.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]As his eyes opened, he saw his entire front was drenched in blood, coating his skin and clothing. He could barely breathe, his body shaking uncontrollably. Blood had pooled around him, seeping through the dark floorboards. August stood still, eyes wide, turning around slowly as someone knocked at the door- [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August awoke with a start, jolting upright in bed. His heart pounded relentlessly in his chest, his hand pressed over it. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]He took a few deep breaths, calming himself. He’d slept dreamlessly, or at least he had no recollection of his dreams. Often, he’d find himself waking up in a panic like this. It was one of the reasons August seemed to avoid sleep for days on end. If he slept regularly, he’d remember the nightmares that ravaged his rest. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Groaning, August slithered out of bed, stumbling over to the door. He swung it open, gaze met with Gamon, and a cup of coffee he held. It was clear August held more interest in the coffee, the bitter yet alluring scent captivating his attention. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Slowly, August reached out, plucking one of the cups from Gamon’s hands. He’d hoped there was no difference between the two drinks Gamon had with him, because he’d already pressed his mouth against the edge of the cup. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Morning.” He said quietly, sipping at the scalding drink. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“Thanks for the coffee.” He added, feeling bad for being so rude.[/BCOLOR]

Gamon waited patiently at the door, casually peering around as he rocked gently on his heels. Pressing his ear against the door once again to listen, he was just about to give it another tap until it suddenly opened. He stumbled slightly, barely regaining himself in time before he sent coffee sloshing everywhere.

"Sorry about that," he chuckled, sheepishly scratching the back of his head when August wasted no time freeing one of his hands by taking a cup. "Mornin', neighborino." Gamon grinned widely, however the man hardly seemed in the mood for chipper good morning's given the tired look in his eyes. He took a moment to sip at his own cup, however quickly decided it was a bad idea when the searing liquid grazed the tip of his tongue.

"Careful. It's hot." Gamon paused as he pressed a finger to his tongue in an attempt to subdue to burning sensation that lingered. "Wasn't sure on your sugar preferences- but there's plenty downstairs if you need it." He gave a quick glance to the window on the opposite side of August's room, noting that it was already getting brighter outside. Must be a little after eight now.

"Sleep well?" Gamon couldn't help but feel a bit guilty for waking him up so soon- especially after the the long day he had. But, he didn't idle on the thought for very long. When there was two grand out there waiting for him, it put a new meaning of haste for the man. He hadn't managed to secure a contract worth more than a few hundred dollars over the past month, so this would be a welcome change.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August seemed completely unaware of the scalding sensation that seared his tongue and throat, and continued to drink. Usually, August would have his coffee laden with sugar or sweetener, but he’d already drank most of it, and didn’t see the point. “I don’t have sugar.” [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He visibly cringed at the word[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] neighborino[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent], regretting his choice of words last night as they came back to him. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]“I slept.” Was all that August replied with. He couldn’t complain, it was a better night’s rest than he’d had for a long time, but he still felt absolutely exhausted, maybe more emotionally than physically. August wanted nothing more than to crawl back into bed at this point, but Gamon’s offer of what could loosely be called an adventure seemed to be more alluring to him. He’d had enough sleep.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I’d ask you how you slept, but if my memories serve me right, you [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]don’t[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent].” He cocked an eyebrow, taking another lengthy sip of his bitter drink.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Glancing back behind him, August wracked his mind for what he’d need that day, stepping back into the room. He fished his half-dead phone from his jacket pocket, opting to leave the threadbare piece of clothing in the room. August grabbed a few hundred dollars from his duffel, shoving them into his back pocket. One of the first things he was going to buy was a decent wallet. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Kicking the duffel underneath the bed, August turned back to the door, walking out and closing it behind him. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“I’m ready to go if you are.” [/BCOLOR]

Gamon practically chuckled when he noticed August's visible distaste at the word, grinning behind the rim of the mug as he blew a stream of air onto the coffee's surface in an attempt to cool it. The beds that furnished the rooms were not the most comfortable, however you would never find him complaining about it. If he ever did decide to rest, which he did on occasion, they were enough to get the job done

"And you would be correct." Finally he took the first sip, pleased when it didn't burn him this time and he was able to savor the sweet, sweet caffeine. "It has it's pros and cons." On one hand he had all of the time in the world, and on the other he sometimes had too much time. Being naturally restless, that made staying out of trouble a bit difficult on particularly boring days.

He continued to watch August as he sipped at his cup, not realizing he had zoned out for a moment when the other man had retreated back into his room. At his words, Gamon gave his head a jolt. He noted his lack of the shabby blue jacket, raising a thick eyebrow curiously.

"Ah, right. Hold on really quick." He disappeared into his own room, returning a few minutes later now wearing a thick plaid shirt and heavy tan leather jacket, a small pack dangling from his shoulder. In his hand he held a large jean jacket, perhaps a few sizes too big for August, who he intended on giving it to. "You should wear this. The wind on the 'cycle is pretty brutal." Riding in the middle of November without a proper coat was murder on the skin, and this he could tell you from first hand experience. He gave a quick final glance to his watch.

"Let's head out before blondie comes down." Who knew what kind of mood the goat would be in after the dramatic display he gave the night prior. Gamon looked to the second flight of stairs that led to the third floor where Alphonse lived as he led August back down to the main floor.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August gave Gamon a strange look, eyes moving from him to the jacket in his hands. With great trepidation, August took the jean jacket from Gamon with his free hand, slipping his arms into it and pulling it over his shoulders, all the while juggling the half empty coffee cup between hands. The material was stiff and starchy, unlike the tired cotton and polyester of his trademark jacket. Very briefly August considered giving the jacket back to Gamon, but the thought of being on that bike with nothing but a threadbare shirt convinced him to keep it.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He shuffled uncomfortably in the new item of clothing, eventually electing to zip it up the entire way, the collar hugging his neck, no doubt looking ridiculous. “Thanks, I’ll need it.” This didn’t mean August had abandoned his old piece of clothing, in fact he’d already started to miss it. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Following Gamon down the stairs, through the main area, and back through the tiny kitchen, August left his now empty mug on one of the kitchen counters. The cool morning air greeted him as he walked outside. August hadn’t even realised how quickly it had become cold, winter was creeping up so quickly. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“So,” August turned to look at Gamon “where are we off to?” The way he’d said it was considerably more cheerful, clearly the caffeine had started to take effect. [/BCOLOR]

A triumphant smile spread on his lips as August slipped the jacket on, giving the man a nod of approval. Sure, it was a bit big, but it would get the job done, despite looking a bit silly zipped up all the way. Though, Gamon would be lying if he didn't admit it was actually a bit endearing on the other man.

"Well, I managed to get in contact with our local damsel in distress." Gamon started in response to his question, noting that the man had not been particularly happy when he was awoken by several missed calls and text messages earlier that morning. "And it sounds like it's just your typical gang harassment you hear about all of the time." He gave a gentle shrug of his shoulders, now starting to feel the buzz of the coffee hit him once they stepped out into the chilly air from the kitchen.

"Should be a fairly easy job. The biggest will be figuring out who the culprits are. But, in order to do that I have a few more questions." His voice had drifted, almost as if he was mostly talking to himself. Rustling through his pockets, he pulled out a rumpled piece of paper that contained the address he managed to get from the man. He began to relay the location into his watch after tucking his helmet beneath his arm, quickly tapping his fingers against the watch's flat surface, simultaneously unlocking the gate to get to his motorcycle.

The watch gave a loud, single beep in acknowledgement once Gamon finished inputting the address. After removing the tarp, he wheeled the motorcycle from the fence before settling atop the worn leather that permanently contorted to the man's seat.

"So, you sure you want to come? Last chance to back out." He grinned, the question laced with his usual chipper tone as he pulled the helmet over his head. Giving August a final raise of eyebrows, he swiped the visor down to cover his face and Adonis revved to life with a loud rumble.

[BCOLOR=transparent]“What other choice do I have? Stay here and have Alphonse go mental on me [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]again[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]? No fucking thank you.” August snapped, his expression one of distaste. Really, he could have just left while Gamon was out, but he had no better place to be. He was comfortable with staying put for at least a few more days. August had no interest in the prize money Gamon would be getting, and more was more inclined to come with him because of the possibility of action; he was drawn to it. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]A little over-zealously, August hopped onto the back of the bicycle, this time wrapping his arms tight around Gamon’s waist without hesitation. Hunching over, he prepared for the bike to jolt forward.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]“If we’re gonna keep going around on this bike, you owe me a helmet. I think dying in a bike crash would be even more embarrassing than choking on a piece of pizza.” [/BCOLOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.