Riven: MNN/Irabus

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Maybe you could buy a new jacket with all that money," Gamon pointed as he passed through the fence once August was through, his tone teasing. He straightened up and pocketed his hands once again as the fence fell back into place. Fullbright looked like he could probably do with some new clothes as they looked like they might fall off of him at any moment- and that was coming from someone who also wore his clothes to tatters.

"Keep an eye out for a brown tarp." He spoke as he began to lead them in long strides through the maze of towering rust buckets, taping his chin as he glanced about each row, trying desperately to remember where he had left his ride. The air felt eerie in the dark silence that engulfed them, only interrupted by the occasional muffled words of the announcer coming from the speakers in The Casket below.

"Now, I know I left it somewhere over here..." Gamon hummed in thought to himself, cursing inwardly at his own forgetfulness. "How is it that I can remember everything else, except where I park-"

And just as the words left his mouth he spotted the familiar brown tarp resting among a tall stack of various boxes and barrels once they rounded a bright blue cargo car. The worry in his face disappeared as a sigh of relief escaped him. Hands emerging from the warmth of his pockets, Gamon wasted no time in removing the makeshift cover up to reveal an old motorcycle propped on its kickstand. The man was beaming at it as a father might his first born child.

"Meet Adonis~" He grinned, giving the handle bar an affectionate pat. The bike had seen better days, however it was obvious that Gamon took adamant care of it as the worn leather looked freshly cleaned and the spare chrome bits sparkled in the dim moonlight.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August hugged his jacket closer to him, holding the opening together with his hand, the zipper long broken. "There are better things for my money to go to, it would just end up in the same condition as this one anyway." He grumbled. Following close behind Gamon, he kept a keen eye out for this brown tarp. The empty shells of the train carriages around them gave August a feeling of unease, and he couldn't help but shudder. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He hated thinking about the state the city had fallen into. Ten years ago, when he first came here, it was nothing like this. The cold of the night had really started to set in, and August almost missed the tepid warmth of The Casket. August rubbed his hands together, tracing his fingers along the outlines of bruises that decorated his knuckles. They had faded to a dull yellow, now almost completely gone. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August spotted the tarp just as Gamon did, and he stood back, watching as Gamon pulled the tarp away in one smooth motion, revealing a motorcycle. It had clearly already seen its best days, but it was still in good condition, clearly well cared for. The reveal had taken August by surprise, he wasn't expecting a motorcycle, he was thinking something more along the lines of somewhere safe to sleep. Expression changing from surprised to irked, August crossed his arms over his chest. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He didn't look as enthralled as Gamon did, a deep frown sinking into his features.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"A motorcycle? Unless it transforms into an affordable hotel, I don't see how "Adonis" is gonna help me." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He approached the vehicle, taking in every small detail with deep green eyes. "I don't get why people name their vehicles." Despite the bitterness in his voice, August really couldn't help but admire the motorcycle. It was impressive that it hadn't yet been vandalised, or stolen. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Sarcasm aside, I'm assuming it's not the motorcycle itself, but [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]where [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]it can take us." August looked apprehensive; not too enthused with the idea of getting on the bike. [/BCOLOR]

Now, anyone else might have taken the time to second guess their decision to bring August along and to leave him be, considering all of the social queues he was throwing. However, Gamon had never been so great at reading them. He was always a bit oblivious and most times he never noticed that the fact he may come off as a bit pushy might overshadow his good intentions. His whole life he had lived with an uncontrollable urge to help others, especially those he knew, no matter how long ago it may have been. Not to mention, Fullbright was the first from their small group that he had managed to find. Even if he didn't remember anything, that was significant.

That went without saying that Gamon was still moderately in disbelief that he couldn't remember anything- or anyone.

"Because they are infinitely more than just vehicles," Gamon stressed at August's lack of enthusiasm, looking to the bike that had gotten him through so much shit despite all of the beatings he had put it through. If there was anyone he could always count on, it was Adonis. "They all have a unique story, all you have to do is look for it," his voice trailed slightly, as if he was talking to himself. He was a firm believer that you could tell a lot about a person by their mode of transportation.

His attention went back to August, giving him a brief nod as he began to ready the motorcycle by pushing the kickstand back into place with a light kick of his shoe, reaching into the satchel at it's side to pull out a black helmet.

"Bingo," he flashed him a smile before swinging his leg over to straddle the seat, pulling the helmet over his head securely. "It won't take long to get there- 30 minutes tops," his voice was slightly muffled as he sat comfortably on the worn leather, balancing the bike upright with his legs. With a jolt of the throttle and a few revs, the engine sparked to life with a deep groan and idled with a low rumbling, the single front headlight flickering to life. Gamon reached back to give the seat behind him a pat with a tattoo'd hand for Fullbright to sit.

Al was going to be positively thrilled.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August was looking down at his feet, kicking at the gravel, hands tucked in his pockets. "I had a car once, I affectionately called it "Shitbox", because it was a shitbox. Broke down a week after I bought it. After that, I just shifted and travelled that way, it was faster." A couple years back, August went through a rebellious stage, switching to his other form at night and travelling around that way. Sure, he was constantly being tracked, but they could never catch him. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He'd stopped doing it when the perpetual shifting had started to cause him physical harm. He'd been branded with the government's mark, and along with that, a microchip of sorts. It inhibited his shifting, making it so if he did it too often, it would hurt him. It was originally impossible to shift at all, but August had built up an immunity. In the beginning, a single shift would cause him to vomit blood, and have the occasional seizure. Tonight's shift at The Casket had made him tired, but he wasn't in pain from it. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Looking up, August glared daggers at Gamon. Last time he'd been on a bike, he was 12, it was a dirt bike his friend owned. He'd doubled with his friend, and fallen off of the back and broken his arm a moment later. He frowned; that memory had only resurfaced with the thought of getting onto the back of Gamon's bike, he didn't remember it all before then.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Without a word, he approached, struggling as he stepped over the seat, sitting down behind Gamon. He considered holding onto the seat behind him, but that's what got his arm broken last time. He reached around Gamon's waist, his fingers lacing together, trying his best to not actually touch the man. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Ready."[/BCOLOR]

"Shitbox is a great name- must be why it treated you so well," Gamon grinned with playful sarcasm at the other man. He had to admit August was pretty ballsy for transforming like that- with the new government rulers that had recently come into power, lives for creatures had become even harder than they already were. To them, all creatures were a threat and should be treated as such. Many thanks to his countless escape attempts during his time there, transforming had become almost unbearable for Gamon due to the intensity of his own tracking and he didn't have much heart to fight it these days.

"Sorry I don't have another helmet, it's not often I get company," he stopped just as he reached up to flip the visor over his eyes. "I would hold on just a bit tighter if I was you-"

With that the motorcycle spun into motion, kicking the gravel up in a frenzy before jolting forward as Gamon lifted his feet. Effortlessly zig-zagging around a handful of train cars, they reached a clearing in the graveyard where he began to drive them straight for a slim opening between two brick buildings- barely large enough for a motorcycle to fit through. The corners of his mouth pulled up into a grin as adrenaline began to recklessly course through his system.

"Don't look up!" He instructed, barely loud enough over the roar of the engine. Breath held- 1, 2.....3! The wind rushed by as they zoomed through the skinny opening, a triumphant whoop echoed off of the looming buildings as they sped through and onto the empty streets on the other side.

And it was exactly because of shit like that that Belle always refused to ride with him.

Of course, he couldn't really help it. This was the closest thing he had to truly feeling free once again- to feel the wind whip around him. Not being able to transform into his true form left an undeniable emptiness within him and he longed to be able to feel that again. Perhaps one day he could find the strength once again that the years of oppression had taken from him. But for now, he would settle for his impetuous driving atop Adonis.

"How you doing back there, Fullbright?!" He called over his shoulder to him, hoping that he hadn't scared him too badly. He was really spectacular at making grand first impressions that was for sure.

[BCOLOR=transparent]"As long as you don't crash--"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Within a second, as the motorcycle roared forward, August's limp hold turned into a death grip, face buried into Gamon's back, any qualms he had about physical contact long forgotten. He squeezed Gamon as tight as he could, eyes pinched shut. The sudden speed had it feeling like his heart had hit the back of his rib cage, and he struggled to catch his breath.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The feeling had jolted another memory. One of going to an amusement park at a young age. He did exactly the same thing when going on the roller coasters; he held on for dear life, and closed his eyes as tightly as he could. He was always terrified, but he loved the exhilaration. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]The breeze rushing past them caused August's wild hair to dance around his head, and the wind flooded his ears. He could barely hear Gamon speak, the collective sound of the engine and the gale drowning his voice. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]It felt… amazing. Everything else around him was gone in that moment, and nothing mattered.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]A few moments after Gamon told him to not look up, August slowly opened his eyes, blinking as they watered. He turned around, glancing at the narrow gap they'd passed through, his heart skipping a beat. He took a few deep breaths, and slightly loosened his grip around Gamon. He couldn't help but smile like an idiot, with the assurance that Gamon wouldn't be able to see his expression. This was a feeling he hadn't felt for years, pure [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]excitement[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] in that moment. This was far was better than any roller coaster.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"I'm good." August finally responded breathlessly. He sat more upright, craning his neck to look up at the street lights that flashed past overhead. Beyond that was the sky, starless and dull, light and air pollution removing any sign that there were ever any stars to begin with. August thought about a book he had read when he was young. In it, a man owned all the stars in the sky, and selfishly kept them to himself, locked away. If only it was that simple. [/BCOLOR]

The minutes passed, and the rotting buildings slowly began to fade into what was obviously the ritzier part of town. Neon lights filtered through the smoggy air as they tried to coax new customers to their lairs. It became harder to navigate the streets as they filled with vehicles of various sizes as the duo ventured farther into the heart of the city. Cars and buses darted about the road and a large monorail carried its passengers throughout the city on tracks overhead, weaving among the sparkling skyscrapers. The sidewalks, normally filled with hoards of people and creatures alike, were much less crowded but still teemed with nightlife as drunken women stumbled about in their heels and lines waited in the chilly night air to get into clubs. The noises of the large city filled the air from honking horns, to the deep bass that thumped from the music in passing cars.

Sure it was polluted and filled with about 10 shit bags to every decent human being, but this was home.

----------

'Clock strikes upon the hour, and the sun begins to fade
Still enough time to figure out how to chase my blues away
I've done alright up to now; It's the light of day that shows me how
And when the night falls-'

At one of the traffic stops, Gamon had taken the opportunity to pop his ear buds back in, head bobbing to the beat. He motioned a hand to the car that settled next to them, a rather disgruntled looking couple turning their heads forward once again as they ignored his overt friendliness. He chuckled softly, glancing back to August for only a moment to check on him- and if he wasn't mistaken he thought he may have seen a hint of a smile. Before he could do much thinking on it, the traffic light above blinked to green and his eyes went to the road ahead.

'Oh, I wanna dance with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me'

The ride was an easy one and they managed to make it to their destination in less time than Gamon had originally predicted, having arrived in a lesser developed part of the city. He slowed as they approached the small, unassuming building with worn sign above the wooden door reading "The Spricket Tavern". It was accompanied by various neon lighting that flickered in threat of going out at any moment. It was Al's sad attempt to give the bar an "update" to keep up with the competition scattered about. In reality, the small facility was kept afloat thanks to regulars and the occasional tenants he rented out to.

Gamon pulled into a small alleyway just off the side, bringing the bike to a halt in front of a large dumpster bin. A malnourished cat hissed at them from atop the lid before hopping off and slinking away into the shadowy depths to continue its search for dinner.

"Home sweet home," he spoke once he removed his helmet to give his dark hair a bit of a rustle, awaiting August to get off the motorcycle before swinging his own leg over. "It doesn't look like much, but it's better than a shitty motel. And it's warm." The cold temperature had left his hands feeling numb from the constant blast of frigid air against his knuckles. It was probably time to invest in some proper riding gloves; luckily his heavy jackets did their job of blocking the harsh winds to spare the rest of him.

"Let's go give Alphonse a proper greeting, shall we?"

[BCOLOR=transparent]August watched in silent awe as the city evolved around them, coming to life with flashing lights and lavish nightclubs, the thrum of the music pulsing in his ears. He'd barely been in the upper parts of down, and when he had, he was always too focused on running away from something to really take it all in.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]It was considerably nicer than the lower class areas, but the filth and corruption was still heavily prevalent. For a moment, August wondered what his life would have been like if they hadn't figured out he wasn't human. Would he of gone to college? Would he have gotten a decent job? Would he of lived here? If he could go back and change how his life turned out, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]would he?[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He was dragged away from his thoughts as Gamon slowed the bike to a stop. He awkwardly got off of the motorcycle, dizzy on his feet. His hair was windswept, pushed away from his face. When he noticed it, he rigorously ruffled it. August looked up at the small building, saying the name under his breath. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The Spricket Tavern. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]August tried to think if he'd visited the place before, but it didn't ring familiar to him at all. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August checked his phone again, it was almost half past 12:00. They'd made good time.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Alphonse?" Gamon hadn't mentioned having to interact with any other people, and the thought put a knot in August's stomach. He swallowed hard; he was this close to having somewhere decent to sleep, he wasn't going to let his antisocial nature get in the way of that.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"This [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Alphonse[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] better not be someone else I apparently know."[/BCOLOR]

Gamon chuckled softly, giving August a gentle shake of his head. "He doesn't know a thing about you, but he's about to," he began to roll the bike toward a small area that was blocked off with a sturdy fence. Slim fingers keyed in a code on a small number pad that glowed on the brick wall. With a subtle beep, a click could be heard from the lock on the fence through which Gamon wheeled Adonis and covered it with a similar brown tarp that lay in a ruffled heap on the pavement.

Helmet tucked under his arm, Gamon closed the gate and turned to the much less appealing metal door, giving Fullbright a gesture with his head once he head keyed in another code before stepping inside. It lead to a small kitchen area, barely big enough for two people to do any kind of cooking and it was obviously in need of a bit of cleaning. Gamon wasn't much of a cook himself and favored take out over anything, but occasionally he would find himself in here to whip up a cup of noodles.

"Just through here..." he reached out to push the long cloth that dangled in the doorway to the side.

"Ah, pony boy! Back already from a night of gallivanting?"

The man's crisp voice caught the air from where he stood behind the sturdy oak bar as they walked through the the curtains, hand deep in a glass as he cleaned it with a cloth. He ignored the disapproving look Gamon gave him at the nickname, carrying on without missing a beat. "I didn't expect to see you back so early. It's hardly past midnight-"

-----​

It was a quaint, yet welcoming little hole in the wall establishment with an industrial feel to it. The walls had been left with exposed brick, dim lighting hanging about the corners and over two pool tables to the far corner. Miss matched chairs and couches decorated the rest of the space which encouraged a more casual feel- perfect for friendly chatter over beers. The most impressive piece was by far the large bar that stood at the head of the space, heavy oak complimented with the same unique bar stools along its front. Behind it was a wall full with bottles of various size and color complimented with just the right amount of uplighting. Glasses hung from a wooden shelving overhead where they glistened in the soft radiance. A flight of stairs could be seen at the back of the restaurant that led upstairs to what could be presumed where tenants might live.

Alphonse Reicher, the owner of the small business, was just as unique as his venture. A spirited faun with a big mouth and a penchant for shit talking, he was a character that you either loved or hated- no in between. He had unnatural, fluffy white hair and two large spiraled horns rested on either side of his head. His pointed ears were both decorated with assortments of random earrings and doo-dads that jingled as he moved about the bar. The most definitive of his features, however, were the dark tinted spectacles that he always wore on the bridge of his nose.

-----​

"Wasn't feeling it tonight I guess, but I do have a surprise for you," Gamon grinned as he wasted no time in taking a seat at the bar, placing his helmet on top of the surface with a light 'thump'. Al immediately looked to the other man who had come in as well, a dark eyebrow rising curiously.

"Wouldn't have anything to do with the skinny kid, would it?" he asked, his tone cautionary to Gamon as he knew exactly where this was going. "No, he can't stay here," Al quickly retorted before the unicorn could even open his mouth, leaning an elbow on the oak surface as he peered at him over his glasses. "I'm not taking in anymore of your lost pets."

"Lost pets?" Gamon chuckled as he reached into his coat to pull out his camera. "You're about to eat those words, goat."

[BCOLOR=transparent]August trailed behind Gamon, following him through a small, dirty kitchen. Pushing the cloth in the doorway to the side, he was taken by surprise by how nice the place was. Despite the haphazardness of the establishment, it was warm, and comfortable. Usually, any dignity a place had was quickly taken away if they offered alcohol, this didn't seem to be the case. He wasn't about to admit it, but he was incredibly relieved.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The heat had started to get to him, and he bunched up his jacket sleeves at his elbows. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Silently, August watched the bespectacled man known as Alphonse behind the bar, narrowing his eyes. He listened to the exchange between Alphonse and Gamon. August stayed silent a few moments later, a deep frown furrowing in his brow at the insult thrown his way. He strode forward, approaching the bar. With a great deal of force, August's hand hit the counter top. Metallic grey scales prickled across his hand, his fingers spreading across the smooth polished surface. A moment later, the scaled arm of a beast, from the elbow down was in his arm's place. Black talons bit into the timber, and as they pulled towards August's palm, trails of splinters arose in their wake.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Bite your tongue." His voice was mingled with a raspy growl. He glowered at Alphonse, trying to gauge any sort of emotion behind the man's shaded glasses. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Listen. I'm the furthest thing from a "lost pet"," He said "I'm a paying customer." His other hand had slipped into his duffel, grabbing a wad of bills. He slammed about $700 dollars on the counter, pulling both hands away, the scaled one shifting back. It took everything he had to not jump over that counter and properly express how he was feeling; August trembled slightly with rage, clenched fists flanked at his sides. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Taking a few deep, much needed breaths, August spoke again "Unless you want to find out why I'm listed as [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]hazardous[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent], I'd take the money graciously, if I were you." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]really [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]didn't like this Alphonse.[/BCOLOR]

Al's gaze immediately furrowed as August slammed his hand into his beautiful, most treasured oak bar. He was not a fan of threats, nor was he a fan of people hurting his precious merchandise- most particularly his bar. He leaned in farther, giving a snort from his own nose as he glowered right back, his gaze only shifting for a moment as he noticed the fingers that had grown into something not quite so human slammed quite a hefty sum onto the surface.

Well- things had just escalated quickly.

Quick to try and remedy the situation, Gamon got his feet, pushing Al back over the bar at his chest before he had a chance to spit out the counter that was right on the tip of his tongue. "Calm your ass down and look at these," he spoke curtly before thrusting the camera into the faun's arms. Reluctantly pulling his gaze from the man, Al adjusted his glasses atop his nose before peering at the small screen. He fell silent, which was most uncharacteristic of him and a smirk could be seen growing on Gamon's features at the reaction.

"Fuck- is that who I think it is?" Al finally managed as he looked back up, his eyes darting between Gamon and August. With a wordless nod, Gamon reached over and took the camera back from his hands, tucking it into his jacket.

"Alphonse, meet Fullbright- defeater of longtime champ, Rend," the unicorn couldn't hold the boastful tone in his voice as he let the name roll off his tongue, Al's expression immediately twisting into regret at his own brash choice of words.

"Holy shit. You should have fuckin' told me sooner, Sparkles." Al grumbled, grunting at the punch Gamon threw into his arm at the name. "Fullbright, is it? I apologize for my....poor choice of words. I can be a bit hasty- comes with the job." If you were going to own a bar, you better be prepared for the territory and customers that came along with that. "Room is on me-" He spoke as he slid the money back toward August. "Anyone who can knock that pompous dickhole on his ass like that is welcome to stay here as long as they need to," Al smoothed his hair as he took a deep breath to regain his composure. "I'm still paying off the bill for that big fucking hole he put in my wall..." and his voice trailed as colorful words and insults continued to spill from his mouth at the unpleasant memory.

"Want a beer?" Gamon inquired as he looked to August at the first chance of changing the subject, already popping the top off of a bottle in his own hand and taking a swig. After subduing tension like that, a drink was always welcome.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August seemed to relax slightly at Alphonse's change in demeanour, and he pocketed the money. August's gaze followed Gamon's hand, watching as he showed Alphonse photographs. He couldn't help but smile, the fact that he'd defeated Rend finally sinking in. Not often did he feel proud of himself.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I really wish I'd killed him... but that would of made me just as bad as him. Maybe he'll be too ashamed to fight at The Casket again." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August went silent for a moment, before speaking again "Why did you take photos of me?" He'd seen a glimpse of himself in Gamon's photos. There was even one of him in his other from; a dark tall creature facing the shifter. It made him uneasy thinking about it, he'd never actually seen himself in that form, he only had a vague idea of how he looked. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August sighed, slumping his shoulders. He took a seat at the bar, pulling his jacket off and laying it across his lap. In the warm light, the pale white scars that webbed his arms were more visible, glinting slightly. They looked neat, arranged in lots of five; four dashes side-by-side, and one diagonally across. Peeking out from the left sleeve of his shirt was the mark of the government, a dark band of ink that encircled his arm. In it was a number that identified him, and what looked like a barcode. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"You can explain to me over drinks." August received his own beer, lifting the top off. He hadn't realised how thirsty he was until the drink met his lips, and it only took a few thirsty gulps for him to finish it.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Can I have another one of those?" [/BCOLOR]

"No, I commend you for the fact that you didn't," Gamon paused as he took a swig from the amber bottle in his hand. "Everyone kills too hastily these days. I think it takes a hell of a lot more guts to spare someone, no matter how shitty they are." Especially someone like Rend- although that piece of work was doing a well enough job killing himself with the way he shifted. It was a miracle in itself the government hadn't already taken him out.

Gamon looked to him as he inquired about the pictures, reaching over the bar to fetch the other man a much needed drink, however Al beat him to the punch.
"Now stop reaching over my bar," the faun eyed Gamon's hand as it rested on a bottle. Gamon smiled sheepishly with a shrug, sitting back in the stool before addressing August's question.

"You never know when a picture might come in handy, Fullbright," he started as he ran a hand through his hair, looking over just as he had finished his first beer before he had even gotten halfway through his own.

"Well, looks like I need to do a bit of catching up," Gamon mused once August asked for another, not able to help from furrowing his brows slightly at noticing the scarring on his now exposed arms. And then to the government's mark that just barely peeked below his sleeve. He glanced to Alphonse, who was now at the opposite side tending to a small goblin who looked horribly drunk- a regular who always came by to drink his sad little sorrows away. Sneakily he reached over the bar, keeping his eyes trained on the goat as he swiftly grabbed the ice cold bottle and placed it in front of Fullbright.

"Aside from the fact that it was completely fucking awesome-" he began, deciding to not pry about the scars, at least for now. "-it's all part of the job. I help customers find things, and sometimes people. A private investigator of sorts, I guess." Gamon gave another weak shrug of his broad shoulders as he finished the last of his own beer. "I've made it a habit to take pictures of everything. I can't tell you how many time it's saved my ass. And if money is real tight I can sell some to the papers- the grainier the better." For instance, the ones he took at the Casket he could easily use as blackmail material against the owners, not to say that he would. But he could.

"Which reminds me..." Gamon stopped just as he remembered something, beginning to rattle through his many pockets in search of something. After a minute or two of fumbling, he pulled a wallet from his jacket and took a small picture from it. He stopped mid motion to place it in front of August, running his thumb thoughtfully over the photograph. It was wrinkled and worn, but you could still make out all of the different faces in the small group picture- a much younger Fullbright included in the far corner. It could be assumed this was the group Gamon had been talking about, their many personalities captured in a single moment in time. When things had been a bit simpler...

"In case that helps you...remember, I guess," his voice was softer as he gave it a pat as a gesture for August to look at it before grabbing another beer for himself.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August remained silent, carefully listening to Gamon speak. He gave a quiet nod in thanks for the drink, opening it swiftly. This time, he opted to drink it more responsibly, taking a small sip before placing it back on the counter. Absentmindedly, August's fingers ran over the five neat scratches he'd put into the beautiful timber countertop. He'd have to reimburse Alphonse for that.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"As long as I don't find you selling any photographs of me." He wasn't looking at Gamon, but the tone in his voice was almost threatening. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August couldn't risk any photographs of him being exposed, especially in his other body. In fact, any evidence of him existing was dangerous. They would be able to track him, they'd come to take him back. His hands slowly curled into tight fists, his knuckles going white. His hands relaxed as Gamon placed a small photograph in front of him, pulling his thoughts from a dark place.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He eyed it cautiously, gaze skipping over every face. They all held a place in his memory, but that space was white, blank, and it [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]itched[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]. Trying to grasp a name to match each face was nearly impossible, it felt like the names were there, but they were jumbled. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]August looked at the boy Gamon claimed was him. He was scruffy, and looked tiny compared the others, he was likely the youngest in the group. The boy had one of those smiles that said "I wanna be too cool to smile, but I am actually really happy.". August remembered that feeling, despite having no memory of the event. The boy was wearing a new jacket that was a few sizes too big for him, August's hand went down to the same jacket, in his lap.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I look like a fucking idiot." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Sliding the photograph back in Gamon's direction, August looked up at him. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"I remember being in the group, and the faces are familiar… but that's it. I-I don't remember what I did in the group, I can't remember any names, I can't remember how long I was there- how long it's been since… " [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Frustration had begun to build up in August's voice. He grabbed his beer, taking a deep swig. [/BCOLOR]

"Nah- not desperate enough to sell to the papers these days," he gave gave another small shrug of his broad shoulders before taking another sip from the bottle held casually at his fingertips. Luckily business had been steady the past few months, which was a welcome change from the drought he had struggled through not long before. Customers came in waves- overflowing one day and gone the next. There wasn't much security in this line of business and it was dirty, but it paid the bills and kept a roof over his head. That was more than most were able to manage in this day and age.

Gamon watched from the corner of his eye as August studied the picture, trying not to seem too intrusive. The man had already gotten frustrated with his pushing earlier, so best to keep it light. He just thought that maybe if he was able to see something, that it might jostle a memory.

But....nothing.

He was met with another wall as he took the picture back when August slid it back to him across the oak surface. He took one last glance, his icy gaze lingering on the young girl with snow white hair, lips pulled in her contagious wide grin. He could sense the growing agitation in August's voice, and he silently pocketed the treasured picture back into his jacket with a sigh of defeat. He rested his elbows against the bar, finishing off the rest of his drink in a couple of gulps. He couldn't help but wonder: what had they done to him? Something so drastic that it would have hindered his memories so drastically? And the scars...

Gamon had endured a few years of their prodding, but managed to be released despite multiple foolish attempts at escaping. Much to his good fortune, they hadn't been too interested in his kind at the time. Fullbright though- a dyr was a completely different matter. Something so rarely found, he was sure they would have had a hay day with him in their possession. His hands tightened around the bottle for a moment as he felt anger beginning to toil within his core, but released it with a deep breath.

"10 years," Gamon said simply, his gaze fixated on the beer bottle as he spun it around apathetically. "That's how long it's been-since we were all separated. You were only with us for about a year." He chuckled softly to himself at fond memories of their precarious exploits while together. "But, it was a fun year. Though you weren't too keen for a while, if I remember right." He gave August a gentle smile as he cracked open another bottle.

"All of that aside, what have you been up to? In these past few years?" Gamon tried to keep his voice light as he changed the direction of the conversation once again.

[BCOLOR=transparent]August took in a sharp breath, "10 years… wow. I had no idea it had been so long.". He took another swig of his beer, finishing it off. Because of the lack of food in his stomach, he could already feel the alcohol having a slight effect on his inhibitions. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Such a large portion of August's life had been swept away, all that was left were vague memories and faces. There was so much missing, and he had no idea why.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I know I spent [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]at least[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] 4 years… where I was taken to." August couldn't bring himself to say the name of the place, it twisted his stomach with an amalgamation of feelings; the strongest ones fear, and hatred.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Resting his left arm on the counter top, August's index finger traced over the small lines that decorated his skin. "I counted the days. Scratched them into my skin with a talon, got to almost 2 years before I got a blood infection, and they stopped me from being able to "self-harm" as they put it. Eve counted from there-" August stopped himself, blinking. His heart had started to hammer in his chest.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"Eve." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Like August, Eve was a dyr, though she'd never fully shifted. She and him were in the same living quarters. She was his backbone, she was what kept him from completely falling apart. He remembered how much fire she had; she never lost her will to keep fighting.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Eve… Evelyn. Evelyn Landau.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]What ever had happened to her?[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"After I got out, I did a lot of odd jobs to keep myself afloat over the years, and then… I came here. I didn't know what drew me to this place, but now I figure it was probably because of the time I spent with you guys, huh?" [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August couldn't help but smile, "That sounds like me."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He sat in silence for a few more moments before turning to look at Gamon, "You wouldn't happen to know where I could get something to eat around here? I'm starving." [/BCOLOR]

Listening quietly as August recalled past events, he studied his expressions and body language. Wincing slightly at the thought of etching the days into his own skin just to keep track of time that passed, his heart ached for the other man. Of the many things he was passionate about, hating the government was by far at the top of that list. It came in waves as new officials came into office, as politics typically patterned. However, this new guy was particularly brutal and obviously held some sort of grudge against the nonhuman populations.

"Damn. You've been through some shit," Gamon finally said with a gulp of his beer. This Eve character seemed to strike some sort of remembrance within him, and it cast a bit of hope back into the unicorn that maybe a day would come that he would remember their rag tag team as well- along with some information on their whereabouts. If maybe some of them had ended up in the same facility. Any information would be better than the empty hands he currently had.

He smiled gently to August with a small shrug in response to his question, despite the fact that it was most likely rhetorical. "Maybe, who knows? I'll count on it, though." Gamon couldn't help but notice how his face softened when he smiled- it was a bit contagious.

"Al, unfortunately isn't one for cooking- as you might have been able to tell by the kitchen," Gamon gave a haphazard gesture to where they had come in. "And I'm not either. But, I do know this place open late that has the best fucking pizza you'll ever eat. And just so happens the delivery boy owes me a favor." If there was one thing the man was good at, it was collecting favors- not intentionally of course. He pulled a beat up old flip phone from his back pocket, taking a sip from his second beer as he scrolled through the contacts. Call him old fashioned, but Gamon was horrible at keeping up with technology, as living for centuries might do to someone- this included the fancy new phones that came out each year. He'd much rather stick with his trusty Nokia that could withstand any manner of beating he put it through.

Pushing off from the bar, Gamon moved from the stool to take the call a few feet away. A few minutes of chatter and smooth talking later, he hung up and stuffed the phone back into his jeans. "Hope you like veggies and cheese," he said, rather unapologetically, as he strode back to his seat. Gamon couldn't even stand to be around excessive smells of meat- it made him nauseous.

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I'm sure you have, too." August responded solemnly. A normal, happy life was pretty much unheard of for anything of mythical descent. If the government knew they weren't human, any chance of a normal life was long gone for them. Considering the others August had seen in the facility, he'd considered himself one of the lucky ones.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"If it's edible, I don't care what's on it." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Veggies and cheese sounded perfectly reasonable to August, and his stomach ached with the thought of it.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"So… I never figured out what you were? Alphonse called you "Pony Boy", so that gives me an inkling that you're something equine." August frowned, thinking "A kelpie? No, it can't be, those things are… pretty messed up." He'd seen a kelpie in the facility, though it had never taken a human form, he wasn't even sure it could. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Pegasus...?" He'd sworn he'd never met one of those before. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"Wait! I remember, you're a…" He ended up not saying it, not sure if there could be someone listening in. Like dyrs, unicorns were incredibly hard to come by, in fact, even more so than dyrs. Most people believed they'd gone extinct. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"I remember you and Belle were…" He trailed off, how did he remember that?[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Never mind about that." [/BCOLOR]

Gamon chuckled softly as August brainstormed to himself, too entertained to readily offer the answer forward.

"A distant cousin- most unfortunately. You're on the right track though." he commented in response to the kelpie proposal. They were vial creatures, and he hardly liked mentioning they were distantly related- even if only for the equine form. Gamon rested his chin within his palm as he watched August, trying not to think of his own rumbling stomach as the idea of pizza was now branded into his mind.

The entertainment was quickly replaced with surprise as the other rman's expression began to change, almost as if he was remembering something. Gamon's eyebrows raised, not realizing he was holding his breath. So he did remember?

"Unicorns?" He finished Fullbright's sentence for him as his voice faded, seeming to be consumed in thought once again. Perhaps he was concerned of saying these things out loud, but if any place was safe, it was The Spricket. Alphonse had a distaste for humans, and wasn't particularly fond of them coming into his bar so he had conveniently placed a warding field around the place. Only those of mythical descent set foot on the premise, unless there was the rare occasion that the fields might be down.

"Nevermind it?" He asked, not able to hold back a cheeky grin as he took another swig from his beer. "I am starting to think you remember a lot more than you think you do." Gamon gestured at him with a tilt of the bottleneck. "I've been told I hardly look the part, but it is what it is." His broad shoulders shrugged gently. "And you, a dyr. Wouldn't have guessed it. You never got around to revealing that small detail back in the day."

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Yeah, unicorns." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August shrugged, staring down at his hands, which he'd started wringing nervously. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"I think I never told anyone because… I still wanted to believe I was human. I wanted to live in the past, I wanted to keep…[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] playing pretend[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]." August's mother had so thoroughly drilled into his head how important it was to make the humans think that he was one of them, how much easier it would make his life. He'd kept up that belief, even after joining a group specifically for non-humans.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"After they took me away, there was no point in pretending. If someone sees me shift, I can just outrun them." Speaking of the past had made August wonder about his mother. He'd left her behind for reasons he now couldn't remember. It had been over a decade since he'd seen her. August barely remembered how she looked. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]He didn't know why, but something deep inside him told him to[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] not[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] go looking for her again.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I didn't even ask. How has your past ten years been? Do you know what's going on with the others?" [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]August had been wondering where the others were, he figured some of them had to of left, or been captured, but where were the rest?[/BCOLOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.