Rivalry of Departments

Watching as Ashton mimicked him, Rei shook his head and told Will to ignore him, he said his goodbyes before pulling Ashton out. "You know if we are to become friends, you shouldn't be rude to my family." He said as he pushed passed the male to get into the drivers' seat of his car. It started out good at first, but what just happened, made it bad again. Running his fingers through his hair really quick, Rei got the car started and waited for Ashton to get in. When he got into the car he figured that they would get a cup of coffee or something else while they were out.

But before he could drive off, someone knocked at the window of his car. Turning to see Will at the window, he rolled it down, only for his cousin to give him a folded piece of paper. Smiling at him and thanking him, the window went back up as he placed the sheet of paper into the cup holder and then drove off. "Like I was saying earlier, is there any place you wanna go or something you need to get while we're out?"

"Nope," answered Ashton. Tapping out a beat on the armrest, he hummed nonchalantly to himself, trying to get a song out of his head. It had been stuck there for the past day or so. He couldn't even remember where he had heard the song, either, but it was still getting the better of him. Maybe on the radio, or something. Reaching into his pocket with his free hand, he absentmindedly began to open and such the top of his lighter in his pocket, adding the sound to the beat.

Eventually, he stopped, thinking that the song was finally out of his head. Pulling his hand out of his pocket, he sneezed into the crook of his elbow before telling Rei, "Maybe we could stop for some allergy medicine?"

Ignoring the constant noises that Ashton was making in the car as they started to drive back to the apartment. It was completely silent in the car aside for the noises being made by the other and sounds of the road. Rei could tell that it was going to take a lot for them to try and be friends, understanding one another was definitely the first thing they had to do before doing anything else. As they came to a stop, Rei looked over at Ashton after he sneezed and then mention that they may have to get allergy medicine. When the light turned green again, Rei drove to a store that was close to the apartment and got out of the car, after telling the other to get out so they could get him the medicine.

Ashton slammed the passenger door shut before following Rei into the convenience store, quickly looking down the aisles for allergy medicine. Finding the kind he used, he grabbed a bottle of water to wash the pills down with before going to the cash register. Digging through his wallet, he found a few dollars to pay for his things. Counting out the money, he threw in a pack of gum, deciding that he would try to figure out a way to try to make friends through it. Gum was a decent ice breaker, right? Just ask if the other person wanted any. And Rei and Ashton definitely needed to become some form of friends. Placing his receipt into the plastic bag containing his things, he nodded at the pretty cashier, smiling before wishing her a good day and waiting for Rei to get close enough so he could leave.

Watching his partner down the pills with water before going up to the cash register to pay for them and a pack of gum that he picked up. Also wishing the cashier a good day, they went back to the car to head back home. "At least we have a suit for you tomorrow night." Rei said as he drove up into the parking lot of the apartment. Putting the piece of paper into his pocket before getting out with Ashton. As they were in the elevator, Rei took the note out and began to read it, blushing a bit as he did. Putting it back in, he avoided any eye contact with the male next to him, not wanting him to see his face.

Making into their apartment, Rei went into the kitchen to look for something that they could eat. As he was looking, he then asked. "Is there anything that you haven't had in a while that I could make for lunch and dinner?"

"Yeah," Ashton had answered as they walked back towards the car. "But I doubt that popping ungodly amounts of allergy pills will look any good." Silent on their way home, rested his head against the window, wishing he had gotten coffee instead of water. Periodically taking sips of the water, he waited for the medicine to kick in, feeling his eyes itching but too stubborn to scratch them.

In the elevator, he was watching while Rei read whatever it was Will had given him, seeing his face go read. Deciding to leave it for now, and bring it up at the most inopportune time, he followed the shorter man to their apartment. Setting his medicine, gum, and now-empty bottle of water on the table, he tossed the plastic bottle at the trash can. Missing his mark by a few inches, he sighed before answering Rei's question while moving to pick up the bottle. "Um, I don't know...pasta?"

Hearing past, Rei decided he'd make his special pasta dish for the two of them, hoping that Ashton would enjoy it. Getting out all the ingredients and cookware, he placed on his apron before preparing the food for the pasta, while glancing at the other male a few times as he doing this. "I'm curious as to what suit Leon picked out for you, since he got to see your body and everything now." Rei said remembering what the male's body looked like, causing a hint of red to show up on his cheek, but kept his head down to not be noticed. It was actually funny at the time too, because he could tell that Ashton was embarrassed by the way his cousin-in-law was touching his body to get measurements from him.

Ignoring the fact that Rei was wearing an apron, Ashton couldn't help but bang his head against the table as he remembered what had happened at the tailor's. Hiding his face from the redness that appeared there, he simply rested there for a moment, sighing heavily. After a while, he straightened again, frowning. Leaning back in his chair, he laced his fingers together while he looked at the ceiling, feeling the medicine kicking in. "How's this gonna work?" he asked, not really looking for an answer, but asking it anyways.

Tossing all the vegetables, meat and sauce into a pan, Rei stirred it up a bit before going over to the table to sit down, when he heard Ashton say that. "How's what going to work?" He asked as he realized that he was still in his outfit from earlier. As soon as they were done with dinner, he'd go change into his clothes for the night and then they could figure out which room they'd sleep in that night. "If you're talking about the 'friends' thing then maybe we could start off by asking each other questions." He suggested while watching the pan to make sure that the food was cooking nicely.

"Uh...fine," Ashton answered, wondering when he had signed up for a speed dating service. Straightening, he got off of the chair, picking up his laptop and moving it to where it wouldn't get in the way. Returning to his seat, he started with, "Okay. I'll go first, then you answer and ask me one...When's your birthday?" he asked, deciding they would start simple for now. As they went, they could probably go to more difficult questions. Sighing at the ridiculousness of the whole thing, he got up to get himself a glass of orange juice, figuring that it might help with his allergies.

Watching Ashton move his laptop out of the way before returning to the table and asking his question. "June 1st, I'll be 26 this year." When he got up to grab a cup of orange juice, Rei got up to stir the sauce to make sure it wasn't boiling, but simmering. As he was stirring, he tasted it before adding a few more spices in it until it tasted right. While standing up at the stove, he thought about a question to ask Ashton about. "How many are in your family?" Rei asked the male.

"Uh," Ashton made it to seem that he was thinking about it, "Three. My mother, my little sister, and me. I never did have a brother, like I had wanted as a kid." Thinking for a moment on what he would ask Rei, he ran a hand through his hair. "Okay...What elementary school did you go to?" Smelling the food, his stomach growled in hunger. Using the orange juice to hopefully stave off hunger for a few more minutes, at least until dinner was ready, he waited for Rei to answer, a bit glad for the conversation.

Rei was surprised to hear there was only three in Ashton's family, he had always thought he had a bigger family than that, but he only assumed that. Seeing that it was going to take a sauce a little longer to cook, he stirred it a few more time as he answered the question. "I was home schooled until high school, my mother was a teacher before I was born and decided that she'd teach me herself." He said as he moved away from the stove to the sink to fill a pot up with water to cook the pasta in once the sauce was ready.

Setting the pot next to the stove, Rei then went back to the table taking a seat in front of Ashton before asking another question. "So what's your type in a significant other I mean?" He asked, it was question, it wasn't as if he wanted to know personally for himself.

"Getting right to the personal stuff?" Ashton asked, grinning slightly. After a moment of thinking, he said, suddenly serious, "I do not know, to be honest. I don't really have a type, then, I suppose..." He trailed off, wondering if his answer was adequate. Deciding to ask an equally personally question, he asked, "So, what was it that Will the family member handed to you? No cheating now, we've only just started." Struggling to keep a smirk from coming to his face, he leaned back in his chair tilting it back slightly.

When he heard the question, Rei couldn't help but smile to himself because Ashton didn't realize what he really just asked then. "I thought you saw it. It was obviously a note." Rei stuck his tongue out a little bit at Ashton, because he knew that he could get away with it because he didn't ask what did it say, but what it was instead. Pulling his tongue back, he chuckled softly as he tapped his finger lightly on the dining table trying to think of another question he could ask the male sitting in front of him. "Since you were so embarrassed at the shop, did you get aroused as Leon was touching?" It was fun for him to see Ashton embarrassed for the first time since he'd known him and it was actually kinda cute, but that was something he had to keep to himself.

"Of course not," Ashton answered after a long moment of thought. "It's just for work." He frowned lightly, wondering what Rei's game was. Trying to figure out how far he had to be specific in order to know what was written on the paper, he ran a hand through his hair. Finally, he asked, "What is written on the note?" Tilting his head to the side slightly, he gave a slight, curious smile, thinking he had him now. "So? What is it?"

Hearing the pot whistle a little to notify Rei, he quickly got up and placed the pot of water on the stove to let it boil before he put the pasta in. Stirring the sauce a little to let it sit a little longer until the pasta was done. Now that Ashton asked the question the right question, he quickly got answered without hesitation. "It was a note from both Leon and Will. Leon was wondering what you were like in bed and Will said that you had better not have touch me in anyway." Standing next to the stove, he got the pasta as well as bit of salt to put into the pot when the water started boiling.

Setting them off to the side, Rei got two bowls and a plate out for the two of them before he got out some of the bakery bread he had bought at the store. Slicing two pieces off, he slipped them into the toaster oven as he asked Ashton his next question. "What do you do for fun really?"

Ashton had to laugh to himself at Rei's answer, though a light dusting of red adorned his cheeks. However, it was gone by the time Rei asked his next question. "I can play a good game of soccer and hockey, when work isn't too bad. I used to be on a couple of teams, but we haven't really talked in a few years..." he trailed off, lost in thought as he remembered the two soccer teams he had been on in college, one for the school and the other that just organized at the local gym. He probably still had that old folder of pictures somewhere...

Coming back to reality, he asked, "What about you? What do you do when you're not working, besides thinking of things to annoy me with?"

Putting the pasta and salt in the pot as soon as it was boiling, Rei looked towards Ashton as he answered the question. "I see my friends and when I'm home, I enjoy making or singing music." He said as he watched the pasta. "Now no more questions, let's eat." When the pasta was done, he put the pasta as well as the sauce into two bowls before taking the bread out and placing on the plate. Bringing the two bowls and plate to the table, he sat down in front of Ashton as placing everything down. "I hope you enjoy it."Silently saying his prayers, Rei began to eat a little worried about what if his new partner didn't like his pasta.

At first, Ashton was wary of the food, not sure of Rei's cooking skills. However, after he took the first bite, he found it to be surprisingly good. It wasn't like his mother would make it, but it certainly didn't taste poisoned. Eating the meal happily, he was silent for the most part, simply enjoying the meal. His mother had taught him and the rest of his family proper manners, threatening him with a finishing school when he would be particularly rowdy. A couple times, she would go so far as to send in applications to some of the boarding schools in the state.

When he finished, he stood up, pushing his chair back. "Thank you," he muttered before taking his plate to the sink, washing it silently.