Rivalry of Departments

It was silent during the meal as they ate, knowing that every day would pretty much be like this until the boss said that they didn't have to do this anymore, though knowing how he was it wasn't gonna end soon. When they were both finished, Rei washed all the dishes that were dirty before he decided to take a shower to calm himself of the issue that was now on his mind.

Once in his room, he undressed himself and towel with him into the bathroom. Though Rei was a spy, he was very slender with barely any noticeable muscle showing. He worked out quite often yet had to make sure that he kept his body lean. Getting into the shower, he let the water run over his body and then washed his body thoroughly, before rinsing off. Drying his body off, he wrapped the towel around his waist as he began to look for some clothes to wear to bed.

After finishing his beer, with Rei long gone into the shower, Ashton threw away the can before returning to his bedroom, powering up his laptop. While he waited for it to power up, he took off his jacket, loosening his tie and unbuttoning his shirt. He'd take a shower in the morning, maybe, he decided.

Sighing, he sat up in his bed, leaning against the pillows as he typed the password into his laptop. Hearing Rei getting out of the shower, he grumbled to himself, waiting for his laptop to hop onto their neighbor's WiFi signal. Realizing it would take a while, he got up, deciding he would watch television or something while he waited.

Walking into the living room, he sank onto the couch, lying down. Turning on the television, he flipped through the channels, not really watching what was on, bored out of his mind.

After finding a pair of night clothes, he placed the slightly oversized clothes on before stepping out of the bedroom to see that Ashton had been laying on the couch to watch TV. Watching as he flipped through channels, Rei shook his head, knowing that the male was bored. Rei was actually very frustrated at the moment because he wouldn't be able to invite his friends over, unless he knew that Ashton would be gone for a long period of time during that day. Going into the fridge, he grabbed himself a bottle of water before looking at the time to see it was now ten o'clock at night.

He knew nothing would be on at this time aside from reruns that the agent has probably already scene before. "You might as well watch a movie. I'm heading to bed." He said to the other just before closing the door behind him when he was fully inside of his room. Taking a sip of the water and setting on his nightstand, Rei laid down on his bed, staring up the ceiling trying to think of ways to get about the own living together with Ashton. Instead, he got this eerie feeling that things were about to take a turn for the worse for them.

And he was right, little did the two know, their boss was watching everything that was happening with them at every moment. Typing up a letter that he sent to Ashton and Rei's work computers that he knew would make things more fun for himself than those two.

After about an hour of watching television, Ashton decided some sleep might do him good. Once in his bedroom, he made sure that the WiFi had remembered his IP address before shutting down his computer, setting it on the nightstand before changing and shutting off the lights. Lying in the unfamiliar bed, he spent hours trying to fall asleep but tonight it proved to be easier said than done. Most of the night was spent with Ashton trying to figure out how he was going to survive, living in the same apartment as Rei.

When he wasn't thinking of his newest predicament, a slight sense of dread filled him, like a foreshadow to something terrible. Eventually, he turned over in his bed, and closed his eyes, falling asleep.

In the morning, he awoke tiredly, the sunlight streaming in through the windows the only thing keeping him from just going back to sleep. Slouching out of his bedroom in nothing but his pajama pants, he was glad to find a coffee machine in the kitchen. Starting a pot, he was practically glued to the machine until it beeped when it was done. Taking his cup of coffee to his room, he got his laptop and sat down on the living room couch, checking his e-mail.

It didn't take for Rei to fall asleep the night before, waking up around six in the morning, he was surprised to see that Ashton was already out of bed when he walked out of the room to the kitchen. Checking his work phone, that he had left to charge outside his bedroom, he noticed that there was an email from the boss that was sent to the two of them. Opening it, he read through it as quick as he could that morning and felt as if a rain cloud had formed above him at that moment. The boss wanted them to stay with twenty feet of each other at all time, noting that he'd know if the two of them weren't in close proximity of each other.

What was their boss thinking? How were they going to sleep in their rooms if they had to be this close to each other, 24/7. Rei was hoping that Ashton hadn't gotten the email yet so that they could have some time from each other at least until they got to work. Since he didn't have to be there until eight, he made himself breakfast pretending as if he hadn't read email yet and not to alarm Ashton that something was going on with him. "If you don't mind, I'd like it if you wore a shirt from now on when you wake up in the morning. It's something I wouldn't like to see first thing in the morning." He said in a tired tone, pouring a cup of coffee for himself, making it extra sweet.

"Come now," Ashton said disarmingly, "you can't honestly say you don't fancy my chest, now can you?" he smirked to himself, surprised by even himself that he could act so normally after reading the e-mail. This would definitely be a problem...twenty feet...they would probably have to drive in the same car, sleep in the same room, and if one wanted to go out or even take a shower, the other would need to be close at hand.

"Besides," he added with a sigh, "I'm not sure if the kitchen is within twenty feet...Does he mean straight, like Point A to B, or through the hallways and junk?" Running a hand through his hair, he wished that a tape measure was one of the things he had brought with him. Unfortunately, he hadn't. Maybe, they could get a twenty-foot string, and use that to measure. Deciding he would get that soon, he suddenly wondered if this was all a game to their boss. However, he didn't have the gall to do something brash so soon into the stay, because, according to their boss, he would know the events that passed in the apartment. "Ugh," Ashton said to himself, trying to guess the area of the apartment.

"I can and I just did." Replying to Ashton as he plated his food and began to eat the meal that he had cooked for himself. 'Twenty feet.. How are we going to do this? I would rather us not be that close to each other.' He thought, while glancing in Ashton's distance a few times. Finishing as quick as possible, he washed up before going to his bedroom to change into a sweatshirt and jeans to head off to work. Grabbing his bag, he walked out to stand in front of Ashton, explaining what he'd being doing. "I have to go out on a job, so don't wait up."

Quickly leaving the apartment, he went down to his car and changed out his license plates before leaving to his next assignment of that day. He had driven to the other side of the city, where he was watching several of the dealers who worked for the boss he was watching. 'Idiots, you could dress more casually instead of standing out with your horrible apparel.' He thought as he sipped at his coffee, standing by a popular statue as if waiting to meet up with someone.

"Aw, jeez," he muttered as Rei left, thinking that their boss would bust his top if he learned that they were more than twenty feet apart. "I swear, if I get in trouble because of this, I'll kill him." Standing up, he took a quick shower, not bother with taking a long, soothing one. Afterwards, he got dressed for work in his usual uniform, a suit jacket, white button-up shirt, dress pants and shoes, and a tie. In the bathroom, he brushed his hair and teeth, looking at himself in the mirror for a few moments. Upon leaving the apartment, he locked up before heading to his office, praying he didn't fall in the ever-watching gaze of their boss.

Ducking into his office, catastrophe avoided for the moment, he shut and locked the door behind him. Sitting at his desk, he began to do the normal paperwork he always did, starting whenever someone walked past his office.

The assignment didn't go as well as he wanted it too, so he left the area and went towards his office building. Arriving about an hour later, his thoughts were back on the email from earlier, so he headed up to Ashton's office to talk about the email. Making it up there, he tried to open the door but found that it was locked, while the other male sat there doing his work.

He knocked the door hard, as he mouthed from the window that they needed to talk about the email. Sure this email was insane, but they had to do it and if they didn't, who know what the punishment would be especially if it's coming from their boss.

Hearing Rei knock on the door, Ashton got up from his desk, moving to the door and unlocking it. "Ah, Mr. Rei. You're here to talk about your superiority complex, aren't you?" he asked, as if he was a psychiatrist. Grinning at himself, he held open the door for him, almost immediately frowning again. "D'you wanna talk about it here, or d'you wanna go get coffee or something? I'm fine with either."

Glaring at Ashton as he opened the door, Rei stepped into the office and took a seat in front of the others' desk. "Here is fine." He cleared his throat a little before continuing. "I'm sure you've read the email. Twenty feet isn't a lot and we need to figure out what we're going to do about it." He tried hard to think of all the things they would be able to do within twenty feet of each other. They could sleep apart within twenty feet because the couch is within the proximity, but bathing was another issue.

"I was thinking," Ashton said, "we could get a twenty foot string, and then tie it to our wrists. Then we'd never go over the boundary..." He rested his elbows on his desk, rubbing his temples as he tried to think of a more practical idea. "He's gotta be pulling our legs or something...I mean, he must be some kind of sadist to get off on our having to be within twenty feet. He's got to know how much we hate each other." He sighed, turning from his desk to sneeze.

"If you've forgotten, I have to go out and do assignments. A string on my wrist would make me stand out." He said as he listened to Ashton talk about the boss being sadistic before turning away to sneezed. He blessed the male before thinking of another way for them to be within that distance. "I'd hate to say this, but it seems the twenty feet thing is going to be a bother so we might as well be closer than that. You'll have to my partner on missions and really we'll have to be within eye sight at all times."

"Ugh," Ashton said. "No way...I can barely stand to live in the same apartment with you, and we haven't even been there for a day." Frowning at the man that sat across from him, he said, "And what about sleeping? I don't think either of our rooms are big enough for two beds." He still couldn't believe that they would be stuck like that for as long as their boss wanted, and thought the entire idea crazy.

"What other choice do we have?" He said to him, thinking that that really was the only way for them to not get on the boss' bad side. Resting his head upon his arms that were now sitting on top of the desk, he couldn't come up with any other idea. "As long as we don't have to shower or go to the bathroom together, this really is are only choice." And yes, he too thought their boss was insane for this new condition. "So what do you say?" He questioned his partner in this and looked straight into his eyes, showing that he was serious about this.

Ashton honestly didn't know. If he lost this job, he had no idea what he'd do. "I...fine," he finally conceded. "But, who's to say that if we play along with his little game that he won't make more conditions for us to follow? Maybe, after a day of this, he'll make it so that we have to shower together every time, or sleep in the same bed." Ashton shivered at the thought, frowning. Taking a deep, calming breath, he tried to make sense of this crazy assignment.

"I doubt he'd go to that extreme. And we do have to sleep in the same bed if you didn't notice cause neither of us is going to sleep on the floor." He said as he stood up from the chair and stretched a little, before he leaned against the wall of Ashton's office. Going over to Ashton, Rei placed his hands upon the male's shoulder for a moment as he said to him. "We either become the best of friends during this time or we kill one another." It was obvious this kind of thing was an ultimatum for the both of them and they would have to make the right choice.

"Killing each other it is," Ashton answered, only half joking. "But, in all seriousness, I don't fancy having a murder charge on my record, so friends it is." He trailed off, having a bad taste in his mouth from having to say that. "We don't have to kiss, do we?" Ashton asked, referring to the decision. Frowning up at him, he jerked his shoulders away from Rei's hands. "We may be best friends," he explained, "but touching is just giving the boss more fodder against us."

When Ashton jerked his shoulders to get Rei's hands off of him, Rei held his hands up before nodding to the agreement of not touching each other in any way. It was already frustrating enough that Rei definitely couldn't have his usual fun time without having Ashton there. How were the two of them going to be able to do work in their offices if they always had to be near each other and then he came up with an idea. "From now on, we'll have to do out work from home since both of our offices are big enough to hold two people in them." He told him.

"Okay..." Ashton said, still pondering how they would ever get along in the long term. Rocking back and forth in his desk chair, he wondered how he would explain this one to his parents. Deciding that they didn't have to know until after the event happened, and Ashton was finally free of being partnered with Rei, he rubbed his eyes tiredly, wishing he had gotten some decent sleep last night.