Rivalries Among Thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The hell are you talkin' bout?" Tace stopped talking as he saw the shining light from the horse's pack. The animal neighed nervously as Tace released the reins. He chose the wrong time to look into the pack, as the light grew brighter and threatened to blind him. He shielded his face and took a step back, the light illuminating his face more than he cared for. He hated magic, and this was only forcing him to realize that again.

"I didn't do nothin' to it!" he snapped at her. "I touched it. I ain't got no magic ability, so it's doin' it on its own." He slid his gloves underneath the pack, fumbling with the strings holding the bag to the saddle. The horse, with the agitated thieves and the bright light shimmering all around, had enough of it. He reared, flinging the pack and its contents from both Roana and Tace before he bolted off. The force of the horse running away pushed Tace to the ground, but he caught himself at the last second. Still, he was stumbling and he couldn't see very well with the light. Dots blotted his vision from the rose jewel's magic light, but all he wanted to was run away from it.

((I wouldn't. xD Tace is too much fun to beat on though. He's been way more developed than he was the first time I used him, so I got somewhere in the past three years I've used him, haha.))

(( How would they know that a curse has been placed on them? Just stumble into it, or would there be a physical sign?
Also...Three years? O.O Wow. I barely stick with characters for a few months. ))

((Well, it can just fly out of the bag, break, magic stuff happens, they try to part ways, and then something physical can happen, like a mark while they're in pain... or something. xD))

(( I was thinking more along the lines of a magical tattoo? That way they know something happened, but don't know what? ))

((Works for me. :3 oh and yeah, three years. I play around with him so much, so he's definitely changed from that time. He's just a very enjoyable character to play, as I don't find myself playing cocky, self-loving bastards all the time. xD though he is the only character that persisted through my years of character development. I found my other characters to have terrible personalities, or they were so Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu that it made me want to gag. xD))

(( My current character-love would be Daniel. I play him so well. He's just...He's a bit weird, sarcastic, but optimistic and I just love the character. Not love-love, though, that would be weird. :/
My oldest would be my youngest. Penel. He's anywhere from nine to twelve years of age, but I rarely play him. :P Had him since I started rping about five years ago.
Oh, and you pick where the tattoo goes. I'd feel a bit like a power-player if I did that. ))

The impact with the ground was the last little bit of stimulation the gem needed, it seemed. The glowing blue stone suddenly formed cracks which spiderwebbed across the entire surface, fragmenting the light it was giving off into countless pieces. Not that you could tell in the daylight. Then the thing exploded in a bright white blast, leaving no trace of its existence. Not even a fragment of itself. Well, except for the blue rose tattoos it left on the two humans who had 'shared possession' of the object.
Roana gasped, struggling to get up. She'd been knocked over by the horse's sudden escape, and just when she was about to get up from that, the gem exploded and knocked her on her feet. Damn...I hurt. Everywhere. There was an extra special stinging pain on her shoulder, though. Felt like getting a tattoo. She'd had to get a few in the past. They were still on her body, and she took pains to cover them up. Especially when that sort of thing was inappropriate for the guise she had donned.

The explosion only forced him back again and his vision clouded. He felt like he'd taken too many beatings to the head. When he staggered upright, he felt a burning sensation on his forearm. He hadn't landed on it or broken the bone, so why did it hurt? He tore his sleeve up and removed his glove to find a new mark on his skin, something that wasn't a scar. It was an intricate rose, the petals blue and dark, just like the jewel had been. The thorns on the black stem shined identical to the magic inside the rose jewel before it had broken.

It was broken, but there wasn't a single shard anywhere in sight. They had nothing to sell now. Gemspire had been for nothing. All he had to show was a stupid rose on his arm. He flipped his arm all around, studying the mark. His hands were scarred beyond what was considered normal, knife lines and jagged whip lines marred his palm and fingers, but that wasn't what mattered right now.

"...What the hell just happened?" he asked, looking up at Roana, who didn't look much better than him.

((Haha, yeah, I love making characters that are easy to play. Too much fun. :3 and no worries. I had to go through a list of decent body parts to plaster it on. xD))

(( He's the first character I've ever really connected with, though. Which is weird. To me, at least. ))

"You think I know?" she asked, rubbing her shoulder. She'd managed to get into a seated position, although managing even that much had hurt like a bitch. The gem was gone, it seemed, along with all of the money they were to make. And they hadn't taken any of the other gems. Of course, then they might be in a more difficult situation than they were in, but still. It hurt that they'd make nothing out of the whole trip.
Pulling back her shirt, she looked at the bright tattoo on her shoulder. Dammit. This thing was far too bright to be anything mundane. It had to be from the gem. The color, and the soft glow it gave definitely meant something. But what?

((Right. I think it's weird that I connect more with my male characters than my females. xD))

"Ya chatted it up like ya did," he said, glowering at her. He noticed the mark on her shoulder, matching the one on his forearm. Well, that couldn't be good. Not only was their source of income gone, his horse had run off, and now they had matching marks. He sighed, running his bare hand through his hair.

"Well... damn thin' is gone now. Don't hafta hang 'round anymore." That seemed to be the only beneficial part of the situation. He was free from Roana... or so he thought. He snapped his sleeve down and tucked it back into his glove, covering the rosy tattoo again. "I ain't goin' to be seein' ya again," he muttered into his hood. It wasn't much of a farewell, but he wouldn't need one.

He had only managed about fifteen yards before a terrible pain rose into his chest and radiated into his limbs. It was like someone had cut off every bit of blood circulation while sitting on his torso at the same time. He dropped to a knee, breathing hard and gripping his shirt tightly. No one had shot or slashed at him, so what was happening? He looked back at Roana, but as far as he could see, she was fine. Leaving someone never physically or emotionally hurt him, and there was no reason for it to start now.

Struggling upright, he took a few steps toward her. The weight lifted from his chest, but he still hurt. The closer he got, the better he felt. The rose jewel breaking... this was no coincidence. He didn't like it.

(( I'm the same way, actually. I have...six guys, and two girls. One girl isn't even developed at all...
Also, going with them experiencing it differently and it's a mutual thing. ))
"Good riddance," she mumbled, struggling to her feet. Damn asshole. She hadn't even liked traveling with him anyway. Then he began walking, and she experienced the most mind-crippling pain she'd ever encountered. It was like someone was shoving searing knives into her skull, into her limbs, especially into her shoulder. She collapsed again, trying to breathe through the pain. He came closer, and she assumed that he was experiencing something similar. As he came closer, the pain lessened.
"What the fuck was that?" she asked, not even caring that she'd said a curse word. She had bigger concerns.

((Female characters are hard to make for me after I started playing mostly males. I have one female that I like to use, but outside of that, they're made up on the go. xD))

She had felt it too; there was no question about that. He panted, trying to catch breath he didn't even know he'd lost. "I don't... I dunno," he spat out, straightening back up. He had to get too close for comfort for the pain to recede completely, but he did it anyway. His hand burned like he'd soaked his fingers in mage's fire, but it stopped when he pulled his glove off again and studied the new mark. The thorns on the rose were glowing a harsh red before changing back to purple. They were the same colors cast from the rose jewel... He should have known better than to take the gem from the tower.

"...I think we're cursed." It wasn't really something he wanted to admit. Being cursed meant being afflicted with magic, and he hated that. He turned his back to her, but he didn't move his position from her side. If he walked away, it would hurt again. "...Don't s'pose ya know any mages, do ya?" he asked. Tace did his best not to associate with anyone magically talented, but it seemed like that was coming back to bite him.

(( I hardly use the ones I have. Guys are just so much easier to write to me. ))
Roana gently rubbed her forehead, thinking through her contacts. Her body was still in shock from the pain, she knew that much from how lightheaded she felt. She couldn't remember a time when she'd experienced anything so intense. "He's not a friend, but I know of someone that could help," she said after a moment, standing up yet again. "He's in Genon." The city was just a few days' ride north, but unless one of them managed to get some coin, they'd have to walk it. Damn that horse for running off. The mage she was speaking of was a fairly powerful caster, famed for his magical weaponry. She'd never met the man, but if anyone could help, it would be him.

((Makes sense. Our poor characters are going to hate each other though. xD this curse is going to be fun to play with.))

Tace nodded before he glanced down at his arm again. The irritated burning sensation had softened, but it was still there. It was a small reminder of what they'd gotten themselves into. Not to mention the fact that he hated Genon. He'd been caught there once, earning himself visible scars and a quick exit. He hadn't been back in a few years. Maybe they wouldn't recognize him.

"Well... we best get goin' then. Sooner we figure this damn thing out, sooner I can leave." He pulled his sleeve down and glove over his fingers, flexing his hand and arm. The burning wouldn't go away, but it wouldn't impede his ability to climb or ride a horse. "Next town over should have some kinda stable or somethin' where we can get a horse." He had the gold to purchase one, but the chances of getting a powerful horse that could run without a limp or something that wasn't a farm animal were slim. The only decent places to get bred horses were castles, and Tace couldn't steal a horse from the nobles. Not unless he wanted to die for it.

Not wanting to think about the consequences, he took a few steps forward. "Wastin' daylight," he muttered before walking.

(( Hah, they already hate each other. c: This is going to be entertaining. ))

Roana glared at him, following quickly to avoid the pain that would no doubt follow. Now she was stuck whit this guy. Lovely. She caught up to Tace, crossing her arms. "What, you have coin?" she asked, lifting her eyebrows. She wasn't exactly above stealing someone's purse for the coin, but she doubted that there would be many to steal in the village they past, let alone any with any that had enough for what they needed. "Why don't you try being courteous?" she asked, more out of indignation than any genuine hurt. She was just as guilty of it as he was, after all.

((Haha, yeah. Also, so sorry about not responding. Been busy around my house lately. It should be better by the end of this week. :3))

"Yeah, I do. Ya don't?" he asked, not bothering to turn his head to look at her. "Not a whole lot, but people will do lotsa stuff for just a little bit." He was silent again before she spoke up, and her voice made him clench his fists in irritation. He should have just let her have the damn jewel. "Courtesy ain't ever got me nowhere, so it ain't helpful. I'll do whatever I want, and I know ya are wantin' to do the same." He huffed and brought one hand to his face, trying to figure out what he wanted to say next.

"We hafta... work together," he managed to snap out. Tace never worked with anyone, and he had never wanted to. However, their situation would call for teamwork, and while it might have seemed obvious, he still didn't want to admit it. It wasn't that he liked her. He just wanted to banish the curse to the far reaches of hell and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.