Ritual of Reconciliation

Status
Not open for further replies.
YAAAAAY!!! ALL SPOTS ARE RESERVED!!!
SOOO HAPPY! okays, nation 10 is reserved! (ahahahaha)

Welcome Ryex.

...Is Winterhual the name of the nation?

Mystisa Kahiya
Birthday: 14 of Toban in 930 ER​

---Also added to my profile post.

---I also have a question. Spia would accompany Mystisa to Atanwan. Do I have to make a profile for her?

yes indeed it is. I'm working on a write-up now.

I think you'll love this.

Neoh - nope. NPC/Side characters who serve or only interact with the main characters don't really need profiles. if she ends up wondering around on her own, interacting lots with other characters (when Mystisa isn't around) or whatever, then she might need one, but otherwise, not really. Not every named character needs a profile.

Ryex - Alright, I'll put that name on the list. And I look forward to reading about it. For now, however, I must go to bed.

I'll have my second character up sometime tomorrow, btw, hopefully. Still looking forward to posts and new profiles! Have fun and sleep well everyone! (unless you just woke up, in which case, ...uhh... stay awake well?)

I will have my sheet by Monday. I do not have too much access, but just so you know, Tempus reconciliationis means Reconciliation Period in Latin.

And is it okay if my nation has their own calendar names and gemstones?
My nation has a name by the way--Sacre O' Xæyne (Xengren-Lune or Senex)
Whatever is good for ya.

I did mention that other nations have their own calenders (used mostly for unique events, like religious holidays and such), but your character will need to know the calendar of Atanwan, which is like the universal calendar.

Also, that name is...a bit long and complex. especially with the special symbol in it. Can you reduce it to a single name?

I am also not sure why your nation would need its own gemstones, gemstones are the same everywhere... language differences might mean they are given other names, but since everyone is speaking Trade Tongue, they should all be called the same thing.

Scholar Fehray

Basic Info
╔═══════════════════════════════════╗
Name: Van Hamid Fehray​
Sexual Orientation: Homosexual​
Height: 5'11" // 180cm​
Birthday: 14 of Shan in 920 ER​
╚═══════════════════════════════════╝

The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder.

[dash="#bf4000"]

Details
════════════════════════════════════════════════
Appearance: Van has the dark, deeply tanned copper skin of an Island native, courtesy of his father, and startling dark blue eyes courtesy of his mother, a foreigner. Years spent on islands subjected to strong magical resonances has bleached his hair a solid white. Like most islanders, he keeps his hair cropped short. He wears loose white clothing, like many residents of Atanwan, the scholars and librarians in particular, interspersed with bright colors, mostly blue and green. Reference Images: Pretend his eyes are blue || That his hair is shorter || There is no collar on his neck || And he dresses something like this ||

Family/Friends: Van's mother is a well known linguist, and one of the few foreign born scholars to remain as staff at the University after graduating. She sometimes works as a translator, but is famed more for her teaching of skilled translators. She is a full Professor. His father is also a scholar, but island bred, and significantly less famous, as he studies tidal formations and some marine biology. He holds the rank of Scholar, although he is currently working on a dissertation to become a Professor. Van has a sister, Ann Fidda (16) who is an artist training at the Heart, in hope of eventual patronage, two brothers, Johan Rashid (22) and Evan Nasir (20), who are both scholars and hopeful professors.

While Van gets along with many of his fellow scholars, as well as a good half of the staff of the Library, he has no single best friend. This is partially by choice, and Van understands that his sexual leanings are not commonly encouraged, and he worries that any close friend may become uncomfortable with him if it was discovered. While he has had lovers in the past, he has never been in a serious relationship.

Skills/Abilities/Training: Van's education includes six languages (Atanwan/Trade Tongue, Ancient Antanwan, as well as the languages of Ester, Targessa, Vulfuhre, and Barrenshore), basic cultural studies, current history, Pre-Great War history, as well as the standard higher education offered at the University. He also has experience tieing sailor knots and using sailing terms, having spent much of his younger years on board various ships, traveling with his parents. He is also an avid swimmer.

Interests: Years spent traveling from port to port, and living among sheltered islanders and world weary sailors has given Van an intense interest in the cultures, languages and histories of other nations. While he has no particular reason for acquiring more knowledge, having no interest in becoming a professor, he does live to learn new things. However, he despises math and any purely scientific area of study, like physics or geology. He prefers the indoors to the outdoors, with the exception of anywhere there is water (a lake will do if the ocean is not available), and does not much care for most animals.

Official title(s): Scholar Fehray; Second Assistant to the Lady Steward; Assistant of Foreign Affairs; Sor En Hamid (a family title).
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

In Depth
Personality: Van is neither quite nor studious, but steadily enthusiastic about both learning and life. He is most often seen smiling, and often uses laughter as a default response to most situations. The possibility of new knowledge always brings a large, toothy grin to his face. Even talk of math, or worse, physics, cannot bring him down too much, as he merely smiles and zones out. Van is quick to provide knowledge and facts when asked for them, and never presents information in a patronizing or belittling tone. He generally believes that all people love to learn, and does not see fault in those who different fonts of information.

Biography: Van was born on one of the smaller islands in the Archipelago, where his father was studying tide pools filled with strange fish and unusual coral. Unfortunately, the island was strangely contaminated with magical fallout, likely from centuries before, and anyone who spent more than a year there prior to puberty ended up with white hair.

When he was six, his parents moved to Port Topalla in Targessa. They lived there for three years, during which time both of Van’s younger brothers was born. The family then spent about four years onboard a ship following the Greater Southeastern Tide. Shortly after returning home to Atanwan (which neither Van, nor his brothers had ever set foot on), the youngest Fehray was born.

After that, Van’s studies, already intense under his mother’s stern tutelage, took over all his time and energy. While he had studied and used many languages during their travels, he mastered them in Atanwan, where travelers from all the world gathered together. He filled gaps in his knowledge of history, and took his interest in foreign culture from a mere hobby to a serious area of study. When he was sixteen, he was accepted into the University, to study under Professors other than his mother.

During the hottest times of the year, when the University let its students return home, Van traveled with is family other countries and other ports, exploring more of the world. While he has never been to Ester or Reinkuni, he has spent a full day in at least one port of every nation, including Pohoni. His travels only incited greater interest in other nations and cultures with him.

At just barely 21 years of age, Van graduated from the University and became a full Scholar, able to access the Library of Anox-Emon, and to study any area that caught his interest. While his mother pressured him to try for a Professorship, and the attached acknowledgement of his fellow academics, Van was content to spent hours in the library, and even longer walking through the city, meeting strangers and learning about their life.

While at the library one day, roughly four years ago, Van noticed the same harried looking man coming in and out, always going back to the same book. After a few hours of this unusual behavior (for most scholars and academics took their time to peruse the library, and rarely referred to the same text so soon after finishing with it), Van approached the man and asked him what was wrong. The man revealed himself to be Malik, an assistant to the Lady Steward, who needed information on the formal terms of address and proper greeting courtesies used in Ester. Van, who wanted to visit Ester more than any other nation, gave the man the simple, easy to understand answer that the book could not provide.

Two weeks later, Malik was back, with another question about protocol, culture and language. For months Van helped Malik whenever the Lady Steward had a question. Eventually, the Lady Steward sent for Van directly, when her Malik failed to relay Van’s information properly, even after three tries. Shortly after that, almost without Van realizing it was happening, the eldest Fehray became the Second Assistant to the Lady Steward, and eventually earned the title Assistant of Foreign Affairs.

With the Year of Reconciliation so very close, Van’s expertise has become even more important. When he isn’t providing information for Lady Claudia he is buried in the library reading, searching the halls of the University for new questions, or wondering the Bazaar and practicing his language skills.

Extra/other: Van is mildly allergic to animal dandruff, especially that from horses. As a consequence, he never rides. He also avoids Lady Claudia’s pet cat, although he cannot do so entirely, as the creature roams where it will.
[/dash]

Last edited by a moderator:
Senex is a is the simplest name it can be called.
The long name is the full name.

Sacre O' Xæyne (SAH-koh-ZAYNE) is the full name, but Senex is the common name of the nation. Xengren-Lune is its old name before it was simply called "Senex" due to a battle that cost some of its land.

Hmm... I see you put a lot of thought into this. don't forget to include that explanation in the post. I will put up the full name, and then put the common name in parenthesis, so people know what to call it, k? You're nation nine, right?

• Love
Reactions: IceChateau777
Yes, indeed.
Something is better than nothing.

well, still waiting on the name of nation seven, but other than that, the nations are named! we're doing so well...

Indeed!
And Senex will be like a Halloween themed nation with scary-looking attractions, but with very nice people. It will always have a light or dense fog in the nighttime. Magic is rare, right?

So as a result, would mediums or believers of the paranormal be allowed?

If not, should the citizens dress in an archaic, (baroque), or a futuristic style?

I wanted them to be dressed in bright colors, but I am trying to be as realistic as possible with how crazy I can be!

Last edited:
Ummm... Not that kind of world, I think. They wouldn't call it paranormal, since to them, magic is normal - just rare. They know it is possible, and a natural part of the world, but like perfect days, it is hard to come across. Mediums would also not be a term that is used, since they would be called Seers, Clairvoyance or something like that.

I think everyone would believe in magic, although some people might think it was a thing of the past, something the Ancients had and the world had lost... As for people with psychic gifts, including the ability to speak to the dead...uhh... I am going to say no there, sorry. I don't think that is a magical ability that would make sense within the world itself.

They should be dressed in fantasy type outfits, from old style kingdoms. Think Ancient Rome, Greece, Ptolemy Egypt, China, Japan and Korea (prior to the Western influences), maybe some Europeanish stuff (although not much further than Renaissance fashions), maybe... ehh... whatever. Nothing modern or futuristic, no steampunk fashions (although there is gearpunkish technology). Bright colors are fine, as seen from Van's profile... In fact, bright colors were worn by a variety of cultures throughout history, so whatever...

However, you have to make sure that the nation's economy and production habits work with the fashions. Does it make a lot of clothing? (Wool, cotton or silk production? Flax perhaps?) What of dyes? They are generally hard to make and hard to come by, so that certain countries throughout history found it difficult to afford dyed clothing. That is one of the reasons Purple was originally reserved for royalty, especially in rome - the snail (sea creature of some kind, might have been a snail) from which the dye was produced was hard to find, and the dye amount produced so so small that it was very expensive. Certain kinds of reds have also been very expensive and hard to produce, as no doubt have many other colors.

...sorry. geek moment. carry on.

Ooh, even better!
But I kind of wanted them to be known for their pumpkins, coffee and fruit.
But the terrain is slightly raised as one goes north. In northern Senex, it gets kind of cold. In the southern parts, it would be comparable to Ireland: lush and mild.

Would it be all right for the citizens to wear jester costumes?
I have put more of thought before I get started.

......uhh....I see no logical reason why the entire nation would want to wear anything resembling jester costumes, which are not very durable or anything...

Remember, you are co-writing a work of fiction with a large group of creative people - the suspense of disbelief is triply important. Think about how you can build a nation that you might find somewhere in the world, which would not strike you as contrived in anyway. Be subtle with references, sow them deep within the nation's culture. If someone can look at your nation and think "oh. its halloweentown" you've probably done something wrong. just saying.

Also, the climate for coffee and the climate for pumpkins is different enough that I doubt the same nation would be famous for both.

If I may make a suggestion Zathura? you've got nation 9 right? it's relatively close the equator which means it'd probably have a good climate for the Coffee. Cocoa grown in the same areas.
Chocolate and Cofee, always a good combinations, and your country could extract very good prices for both.
Just a suggestion :)

Oh, okay... Screw that idea...
But I guess I should throw in some ancient stuff...

As for the pumpkins, they would only grow in the late Autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.