Rise of the Archmages (1x1 Private)

Status
Not open for further replies.
October 19, 2016
Royal London Hospital
London, England

Natalia felt so useless as she stood at Sam's bedside. She held Raven's hand and listened to the machines keeping him alive. The beeps monitoring his heart, the rhythmic pumping of the ventilator, and...nothing else. It was like she wasn't looking at Sam, like instead it was just the machines. The machines were the beating heart, the breathing lungs. The bed was the body and Sam...he was the least alive thing there.

Someone would pay for doing this to him.

If the bullet was something Sam himself would use, that meant the person who did this was a pro. And she agreed with Raven's assessment. There could be no other explanation. And then there was what he'd found. Sorcerers. Experimented on. Likely tormented because of it. Her hands balled into fists, and Raven flinched at how tight she gripped her hand.

"...Call Matt and Karin," she said, turning to leave the room. "She'll want to know about this and maybe she can offer something we haven't thought of."

"W-Wait! Where are you going?" Jeanne asked.

"I'm going to kill Thomas Aegil," she said.

She didn't get far before a sudden explosion shook the main area on their floor, and when she recovered the whole area was on fire. She changed to her Asylum clothes instantly, her growing rage building around her as she opened a palm and drew all the flames into her hand. Someone was definitely going to pay.

Reactions: Razilin
The rapport of small arms fire echoed in the hospital hallways just as the flames began to flow into Natalia's outstretched hand. Instinctively, an invisible barrier formed up around the young woman and the bullets melted as they slammed into it. From behind the smoke filling the air emerged a burly man in a hoodie and sunglasses, moving like lightning. A fist touched the barrier...and the barrier itself vanished. Then the other fist came in, clipping the sorceress in the jaw and knocking her into the wall. That same hand then wrapped around her throat.

Mana failed to flow into her. It was as if the great flood of power within her and around her was suddenly diverted away from her. She could sense it. Her energy was going into this man, her attacker! She realized that the same technique had broken her barrier, its mana sapped completely, and the spell collapsing upon itself. It was the same technique she had discovered, only this man did it faster, more efficiently. It hinted at long practice.

Through the pain, Natalia looked at the man's face.

This close, she instantly recognized him.

Norman Bayane.

"Time to go, girl," he said, raising his hand to strike her down. Lightning whipped around the extended hand, sending a powerful shock through his system even as he was yanked off his feet to the floor. Natalia was free again. At the other end of the hall, Raven stood with a whip of lightning snaking out of her hand. Jeanne was with her, clad in armor and naked steel at her side.

"Get away from her," Raven growled.

Natalia nursed her throat and sore jaw, glowering at Bayane as he got back up. She took a deep breath and drew in more mana, healing herself and replenishing what had been drained. She glared at him and began to walk forward.

Bayane withdrew two handguns from behind him and fired. He was quick, but the second she saw movement Natalia teleported.

"So she runs away," he commented under his breath.

"Not exactly," said the sorceress behind him.

He turned, cocking his gun right in her face. She grabbed it and began draining mana from both the firearm and its owner. A dullness covered the gun and when it fired it shattered into dust, the bullet bouncing harmlessly off her nose.

Natalia then put her hand near his chest and created a small explosion. They were both thrown back by the force, but Natalia righted herself while Bayane crashed into the wall behind him. He staggered, but annoyingly didn't fall.

Bayane decided to enhance the remaining gun in his hand, firing bullets that would devastate anything not as enhanced as himself. But when he shot at Natalia the bullet never made contact, and instead he received a pain in his lower back. She had created a small wormhole that made Bayane shoot himself.

"Not so fun getting shot in the back, is it?" she asked, still scowling.

Bayane scowled back. This wasn't working. Then he remembered: her weakness was other people. He turned and fired at Raven, but Jeanne was there to deflect it with her sword. It was an enhanced round, though; it made Jeanne's blade reverberate like a church bell and shook her to her core. In fact the entire hospital floor seemed to shake and echo with the din.

While everyone recovered from that Bayane jumped up and broke one of the fluorescent lights overhead. He didn't break the long bulbs, since that was what he was taking out of them. A little enhancement magic and they were almost unbreakable.

He smacked Natalia upside the head with one hard, then used the other to swing her into the wall. Raven rushed him next, firing bolts as she charged. They were drawn into the bulbs, making them light up, and when Raven was close enough he pressed the bulbs to her and shocked her back. Then he smacked her with the toughened glass. Momentarily separate from the fight, Natalia reflected how resourceful this man was. He was like a Sam that could do magic. Deadly combination.

Jeanne ran in, sword flashing. He parried each strike with the fluorescent bulbs. Still carrying some charge, he gave her tiny shocks whenever he touched her with them. Then, holding down her sword with one bulb, he spun around and struck the other against the back of Jeanne's head, overloading it so it exploded.

Natalia growled and stepped in again. He swung the bulb at her and it shattered on her raised forearm. She then placed her hands on his chest drawing in as much mana as she could. He started to feel the effects, started getting weaker, so he grabbed onto her and started absorbing his energy back. He was a master at this, but even he couldn't manipulate energy as easily as a sorceress. She took more than he got back.

Still, Natalia saw this was getting them nowhere. She broke their contact and, using the mana she'd taken, pushed him with a sudden rush of wind and raw force. He was thrown into a hallway, so hard that he bounced off the floor (after leaving a small crater in it) and up into the ceiling, breaking a light. He caromed off the floor again to hit the window at the end of the hall, shattering it. The tempered glass cracked on impact.

Slowly, with obvious considerable effort, Bayane stood at the end of the hall. He wasn't sure, but it was possible he'd broken a few bones in this fight, and that Natalia was winning. Grunting as he did it, he kicked out the glass behind him. When that was done he turned back to Natalia.

"To be continued," he panted. Then he jumped out the window.

Natalia scowled again, debating between pursuing him or checking on her friends. In the end friendship won out.

Minutes later, Bayane had reached some element of safety, commandeering a cab and leaving its bewildered driver in the streets. Fractured ribs ached and so did his pride. He was getting old if three girls could beat him in a fight.

The fact that they were three rather powerful girls made little difference to him.

He had been surprised by how quickly Natalia had figured out how to drain mana using Enhancement principles. Had she been any other girl, he would have given serious thought into apprenticing her.

Now, however, she was definitely an enemy. She had seen and recognized his face. The instant Sam Ebayan woke up - if he woke up - his cover would be completely blown, if it wasn't already.

---

The battle at the hospital forced the staff to move their patients to a different floor. It was hours later, after the transfer, that Sam had awakened from his coma, violently pulling out his own endotracheal tube and fighting the orderlies and nursing staff as he rebelled against the drugs running in him, the ventilator, and the restraints on his wrists. He managed to win out.

The nurses had, of course, notified his friends and family of his recovery.

Jeanne, Raven, and Natalia stood around his bedside. He was much calmer after having most of the more invasive items pulled out of him. He was sore and moved gingerly, preferring to lie back in the bed, but he was alive and mostly well.

He was pale and weak, but as stubborn as ever. He immediately wanted to know what happened.

"It looks like Natalia's Enhancement professor is one of Aegil's assassins," Jeanne explained. "Not a Hound, though. We were able to see him just fine. We assume he's the one who shot you. He attacked the hospital trying to get to you and Natalia, but she managed to fight him off."

"It was strange," Raven added. "He fights like us. Like the way Karin taught us. I think he was trained by her - if he's our man, then it would explain how he was able to trace the tracking device signal."

"We need to call Karin," Sam agreed. He looked at Natalia. "I found two of your brothers and one sister. They're at a hospital in Lancaster. Aegil was mutilating them, experimenting on them. I think he's figured out how to use sorcerers' spellbooks via proxy. He uses their own hands and eyes to manipulate the books. I don't know the specifics, but one thing mages are good at is being able to figure out how things work. I can only assume that's Aegil's end goal - being able to use sorcery himself."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Quiet One
October 19, 2016
Matthew and Karin's Cabin
Montana, U.S.

Matthew turned off the stove, smiling to himself. Being immortal meant he had had enough time to learn to make almost any kind of food. Today he was going with Dutch; a fine, moist duck was in the oven, cooked to perfection. On the stove he had potatoes and seasoned vegetables.

"It's ready," he said, smiling at Karin, who was cozy by the fire.

"Mm," she replied, smiling back, a blanket around her bare legs, her top covered by one of his black shirts.

"That means you have to get up," he chuckled.

"Uh-uh," she said back. "Bring it here."

He strode over, grabbed her hand, and pulled her to her feet. She laughed as she collided with him.

"Eating at the table. So proper."

"It's Dutch," he said again. "The Dutch don't get enough respect."

"Should we carve up some clogs to wear while we eat?" she teased.

"Exactly what I'm talking about," he said back and kissed her.

She agreed and went to the table. "I hope the Dutch don't mind I'm eating without pants."

He chuckled and patted her tone rear. "I can't think of anyone who'd be offended by the view."

Karin had been aging well the last couple of years. Matthew noticed a few new wrinkles around her eyes, but they were minimal. She knew how to take care of herself, to stay fit and youthful even as she neared fifty.

He began carving up the duck when Karin's phone rang. Given where all the few people who knew how to contact them were, it struck them as weird to be receiving a call. In France it had to be ten in the evening. He put down the knife as Karin answered it.

"Hello? Raven? Honey, isn't it late where you are? What's going - what? Is he okay?...He's tough. I think he'll be fine. How are you?...Natalia? What's she doing there?...Yes, I heard about the Louvre, but I'm retired. I thought you would have it handled - No, no. I'm not criticizing you...How much bigger?... That's...monstrous. How is she taking it? Well, try to keep Natalia from doing anything dangerous until we get there. Already gone? Where?...If she's going to check on them, it's fine. Anything else you can tell me?...Repeat that name please? Bayane...Do not engage again. We'll take the earliest flight out."

She looked at Matt with obvious concern. He could almost see the new wrinkles claiming territory around her eyes.

"I'll pack some bags first thing," he said. "Do we...still have time to eat?"

---

October 19, 2016
Lancaster Hospital
England

The three patients that had mysteriously arrived at the hospital were all given a private room together. The police were called due to the nature of their injuries, but none of these three were native to the UK, so missing persons turned up nothing and with the victims comatose questioning them seemed unlikely. They were left to their room that night, kept under observation as there was little else that could be done.

Thus Natalia was completely alone when she popped into their room.

Her power of EISU told her instantly who they were, giving her the names she knew them by in her first life. The woman, traced over with scars along her stomach and chest, was Kosache, the greatest healer of Veiko Magi. The man without eyes was Morant. She was upset how little she knew about him. The last one, missing his right hand, she knew all too well, and she gulped back a cry of rage. Tuvoir.

While the memories were hardly clear, she had spent many lifetimes with him. In some they were merely friends. In others they were brother and sister, having died together the time before. Twice they were reincarnated as lovers. If Emily found him during a life, she killed him instantly. The last time they'd been together...Salem.

I thought you had ascended centuries ago, she thought to him.

He recognized her presence, but she could sense he didn't trust his senses.
Nashira? Is that you? I...I feel as though I may be going mad. To...to escape what's been done.

Natalia hesitantly smiled. I've been mad in this life. You're not mad, Tuvoir. You're safe. A friend of mine rescued you and the others. Also...I'm Natalia in this life. Natalia Elmore.

Trevor Bates, he replied.

Natalia laughed quietly.
Trevor?

His lip twitched upwards slightly. I didn't choose it...So you're Asylum now? We've all seen the videos. Those of us who knew why we were taken knew it was because we're like you. No more secrecy, then?

Well there's still some secrecy. Now how about you tell me what they did to you?

They took...pieces of us. I...I got off easy. He wanted Morant's eyes to read his book. He ordered them to take them out. He stressed not to damage them.

Kosache was the first he took. They cut her open, checked her heart, her lungs, even prodded at her spine. I think they took her adrenal glands.

Who? Natalia asked, though she was sure she knew.

I don't know, Trevor replied. I'd never heard the name before. I think I heard them say...Aegil.

Natalia scowled, holding her friend's remaining hand. I will make this right. I'm close, Trevor. Close to Ascension. Close enough to promise Aegil will regret this.

OCTOBER 20, 2016
LONDON, ENGLAND

It was a little blustery in Raven's flat. A shattered window tended to make a room cold in the fall. A slapdashed square of plaster and duct tape kept most of the wind out, but everyone was forced to wear a coat indoors until maintenance could replace the glass.

Jeanne had brewed everyone a cup of tea. Karin and Matt accepted the drinks readily. There was fatigue in their eyes from the long flight over, but this business could not wait.

Raven sat on a bar stool in the kitchen, tapping a finger impatiently on the counter. On the phone, Karin had sounded like she knew of Bayane, but refused to go into any more detail until she had arrived in the UK. Impatience was making Raven edgy.

Sam leaned into the cushions of the sofa, groaning as muscles stiffened and refused to obey his commands fully. He was nestled amidst pillows, blankets, and anything else Jeanne and Raven could find to make him more comfortable. Sam being Sam, he stubbornly refused to take any painkillers, even though he was obviously uncomfortable. He stoically watched Karin as she drank from her cup, patiently waiting for whatever she knew concerning this new opponent.

"I knew Norman Bayane years ago," Karin began. "I was...oh, fourteen, maybe thirteen. I met him in Germany. Before Matthew took me under his wing, I had another teacher - that was Norman. He showed me magic, and guns, and combat. He taught me to fight, to survive, and to win. He was getting older, even then, and needed someone to replace him once he retired." She shrugged. "I suppose a stick of a girl back then was good enough for his purposes."

"So that's why he fought like you," Raven murmured to Sam. "If he taught Karin, and Karin taught you...."

"He developed his own tracking device, didn't he?" Sam reasoned. Karin nodded. "That would explain how he was able to find Natalia's signal."

Karin went on, "He was an immensely resourceful man. Chemistry, physics, electronics, mechanics...he learned whatever it took in order to be the best at his job as an assassin."

"We saw," Jeanne added. "He used kitchen supplies and Enhancement to blow up half a hospital floor." She gave Sam a meaningful look, knowing that he would have done something similar, albeit without the use of magic. It was uncanny, really, how Bayane managed to pull that trick off with such innocuous items. It had seemed for so long that Sam Ebayan was the only one who was able to make a weapon out of a Tic-Tac.

"So what happened to Bayane?" Sam asked.

"He retired after he completed my training when I was sixteen," Karin supplied. "He was working on a project, one that would change the face of the magical community forever. Like us, his specialty was fighting renegade mages. The strategies I taught all of you were developed by him. However, he believed he had found a way to seal magic from those who could use it.

"As you've seen, Bayane is a master of Enhancement magic. He can make himself stronger, faster, tougher. But he can also use it to drain magic. After he retired, he developed a way to weaponize his 'mana draining' technique. He called it 'the Empiric Field of Reality.'"

Stunned silence hit the room, including Matthew.

"You never told me about this," Matthew whispered.

"Bayane created my Empiric Field?" Sam was stunned.

Karin was silent for a long moment before finally speaking again. "Do you remember the night we met, Sam? When those monsters attacked your family and killed your parents?"

"I can never forget."

"Tell me about your father," his old mentor asked.

Sam raised a confused eyebrow. "My father, Leo Ebayan, was an engineer. Its why I know so much about electronics and mechanics. He would have me help him in the garage all the time. Why?"

"Leo Ebayan was a cover," Karin said. "After my mentor retired, he knew that his research would make him enemies within the magical community - no mage wanted to have their powers sealed. So Norman Bayane took on a new identity and that identity was Leo Ebayan."

Sam felt his heart go cold. He remembered days spent tinkering in his father's workshop, of going on trips to visit family in the Philippines, of family dinners and other normal things.

And those memories were lain over a more recent one.

Norman Bayane shooting him in the back.

He only half-consciously registered Jeanne slipping her fingers through his own numbed ones and giving his hand a squeeze. Raven was looking at him worriedly.

Karin continued, "It was no accident that I met you that day seventeen years ago, Sam. I heard that Leo's enemies were after him. And I wasn't about to let him or his family die if I could help it." She sighed tiredly. "I failed to save him and your mother. I was glad when I was able to save you."

"Why...why keep this from me," Sam asked harshly. "I deserved to know. Seventeen years, Karin!"

"I had to. You see, Leo's research lives on in you! He could never get the Empiric Field to work under normal circumstances. It takes mana to use the Field, but by its nature, it cuts off the mana flow entirely. He managed to find a loophole, though. He grafted it onto a fledgling mage, one that hadn't yet learned to channel or harness his powers. He grafted the Field onto you when you were just an infant. You have the ability to use magic, Sam, but you'll never be able to while your natural talents feed the Field inside you."

"Then why kill me? Why would he jeopardize his work like that?" Sam bit out sourly.

"I imagine he can still take it from you, as long as he has your body," Karin reasoned. "No one except him knows the intricacies of the Field. But since he built it, he can unmake it."

Silence suffused the room at the nonstop revelations.

Finally, Sam asked the question that had been tumbling in the back of his mind. "My father is working for Aegil - what would Aegil need the Empiric Field for?"

And Karin didn't have an answer to that.

Matthew thought he did. "The sorcerers. Aegil seems determined to gain their powers, but I doubt real sorcerers like Natalia will allow that. He wants to be like them, take their place, and he'd have to neutralize his biggest threat to do that."

It was a fairly sobering assessment. Not only could Aegil possibly gain immeasurable power, but he could neutralize the powers of others. If he was right, or even if he was close to right, this could be a big change in the world of magic.

Matthew then looked around and asked, "Say, since we're speaking of sorcerers, where's Natalia? Is she still with her brothers and sister?"

"No, she came back a while ago," Jeanne said. "She said there was nothing more she could do for them for now, then commandeered our bedroom to meditate."

"We should tell her this information too," Raven said.

I already know, came Natalia's voice inside everyone's heads. Well, everyone but Sam.

"Natalia?" Karin asked the room. "You've been using your powers to listen in?"

Sort of. I'm sorry, Karin, but I've been watching and hearing everything through your eyes and ears. EISU lets me do that with my telepathy. I hope you don't mind.

"Um...I guess not. That's...kind of spooky, though," she said to...well, to what Karin felt like was thin air.

I've been called worse. Anyway, I was starting to piece it together myself. Bayane is of the same background as Sam, likely even the same country. Plus they're both talented at using their environments. How would Sam have learned that from Karin when Karin failed to learn it herself? And yet they can both still fight like that? Plus the names: Ebayan, BayanE. The E was moved to the other side of the name and that's all! They had to be related.

"Sharp as a whip, our girl," Raven said.

But I never would have thought Sam's father. That's troubling for several reasons.

"Well, fleur, are you ready to come back out?" Jeanne asked.

Not just yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to heal the other sorcerers, so I've been learning from my book. I'm also thinking about my Enhancement class and how that applies to the Empiric Field, plus I'm checking to see if Jill's okay and I'm attempting to see what may happen next."

"All at once?" Raven was incredulous. How could she focus on so much at the same time?

Yes, which, I'm sorry, means this conversation is too taxing to continue. I'll be out in a minute.

Then her voice was gone. Matt looked over and asked, "Who's Jill?"

OCTOBER 20, 2016
THE IVORY TOWER
LONDON, ENGLAND

The atmosphere was tense. Norman Bayane could feel the rage boiling off Thomas Aegil as the latter sat at his desk. Just as he could feel the eyes of the two remaining Hounds on him from where they stood at Aegil's sides. Even after working alongside the Order of Autolycus for so long, the former assassin still had trouble locking his senses onto those slippery killers.

The Archmage had not taken news of Bayane's failed attack well in the slightest.

Aegil pulled out two objects from his desk, laying them silently, carefully on the wooden surface. One was a battered leather-clad tome, a grimoire of great age and power. This close, Bayane could sense the magic radiating off it. The second item was a glove made of something thin and soft. The former assassin quickly realized it was fashioned from human flesh.

"Now the Elmore girl knows the full extent of our plan," Aegil growled darkly, slipping the glove over his hand and giving it an experimental flex. "And your son may piece together the rest of our research."

"Elmore proved more resilient than I had expected," Bayane explained numbly, knowing that excuses would not work on this man, yet felt the need to say something regardless. The gloved hand stretched out toward him.

"TRES," Aegil uttered.

Suddenly, Bayane found himself on his knees, a great power wrapping around his heart like a vice. He clutched at his chest with a gasp of pain and tried to drain the mana out of whatever spell was being used on him. He just barely managed to sever the mana flow, but the message was clear.

Aegil had done it.

He could use a sorcerer's spellbook.

And he had three of them to play with.

Aegil smiled thinly, reading the dawning realization on Bayane's face. "Indeed," he confirmed, "I have access to a sorcerer's magic, now. Its really quite simple, once you can read the runes. Their principles are less...technical...than what we are used to, but the foundations we learn as mages are surprisingly easy to adapt to controlling the fabric of reality. Its fascinating, really."

He stretched out the gloved hand again. "INNI." A bookshelf turned into a grand throne of twisted metal. "VAWM." Instantly, the Archmage had shifted and appeared sitting upon that throne.

"You can destroy Elmore with this skill," Bayane murmured.

"Possibly, but unlikely," Aegil returned. "My technical knowledge of magic allows me to wield sorcery with comparable proficiency, but she has been using it longer and is certainly more powerful than I will be. If I am to become the sole remaining sorcerer and miracle-worker of the age and all future ages, I must destroy all the other sorcerers and claim their magic for my own. And to do that, I will need an edge that not even their vaunted powers can predict."

He looked at Bayane. "VAWM." The former assassin was now gripping his throat, being pulled telekinetically toward the Archmage. Bayonne gasped helplessly. "Go to your son, old friend. Bring me his Empiric Field. And your failures will be forgiven."

"He will not confront us directly," Bayane gasped out. "By now, he's probably figured out your plan. We...we will need...a...a...a trap!"

"The Hounds will provide it," Aegil promised. "Elmore masqueraded as a student, did she not? She has a roommate." Without looking at the final two Hounds, he commanded, "Bring the girl to the Arena. Our recruits there, while hardly a match for a man of Ebayan's skill, will be enough to slow him down." The two plain men slipped away with simple nods of their heads. Aegis returned his attention to Bayane and released him. The former assassin dropped to his knees, sucking in air. Aegil finished darkly, "You will be there to meet him. Bring me the Empiric Field, old friend. You've sacrificed everything to see your research come to fruition. Do not disappoint me again."

• Love
October 20, 2016
Raven's Flat
London, England

Natalia took slow, deep breaths as she sat Indian-style on Raven's bed, trying to simultaneously withdraw from the world around her and take everything in at once. She could feel the weight of magic around her. She sensed the varying strengths of her friends in the next room. She reached out further and felt the faint weight of her fellow sorcerers in Lancaster, then she returned to the Tower and...something was wrong. She thought she felt Trevor twice, and the second one stronger. There was a great weight in the direction of the Tower, a weight of power and future events. What was going on there...?

She was interrupted by her phone going off. Her eyes snapped open in irritation, and she grabbed the vibrating phone. She recognized the number. Jill?

"Hello?"

"N-Natalia! You remember that time we felt like we were being followed?" she asked.

"That was the Hound that was after me," she told her. Jill was breathing heavily, practically hyperventilating. Natalia was suddenly on her guard. "Why? Are you feeling that?"

The sound of panting. "I think I'm being followed! I can't see anyone, though! I'm scared!"

"Calm down, Jill, okay? Where are you?"

"I-I'm in the halls! I ran from my room and I feel like I'm being chased by something! - What was that?!"

Silence. Natalia bolted upright.
"Jill?"

"Is someone there?"

"Jill?"

"MMPHHH..."

"JILL!"

There was only silence. Then a voice, one she didn't know, simple and forgettable, said, "Come to the Arena."

Then the line went dead. Natalia stared at her phone. She had to make this fast. She made a call back home as she stepped out of the bedroom. She would inform her friends there with her while making the call.

"Natalia what's going on?" Raven asked. She looked anxious. So much had happened over the last few days.

"They took Jill," she explained in passing. Finally he picked up. "Cody! Sweetheart. Look...I need you to come here to London. We need some muscle. No, no plane. I'll teleport you. No, it won't hurt."

• Love
OCTOBER 20, 2016
THE ARENA
LONDON, ENGLAND

The Arena.

For over a century, the legendary fighting ring had made the rounds through the sludge and mud of London's criminal underworld. For decades, fighters of all stripes and creeds searched for it to prove their mettle in the whispered halls of a pit said to hearken back to the gladiatorial stages of ancient Rome. But in truth, it was never meant for normal men. No, the Arena was a crucible for only one specific kind of fighter.

Mage-killers.

Here, in this secret hall, mage fought mage and tested their spells mysteries on a field where only skill meant survival. Whether Ivory Tower or some other tradition, it did not matter. The Arena was the great equalizer. Wealth meant nothing. Family meant nothing. Name and mentor meant nothing. Only the will to fight and the skill to survive earned any merit within the pit of the Arena.

It was from the ranks of the Arena's fighters that the Order of Autolycus had longed garnered their recruits. They needed men who understood magic and how to beat it and thus, become invisible to those who wielded it. Through association with the Brotherhood, Aegil had learned of the Arena's true location and came to know its nuances intimately over the years.

He stood on a balcony overlooking the great pit below as two mages contested for victory. It was a bloody thing, the Arena, but it served its purpose. Aegil never sullied his hands with filth unless it served a purpose.

The result of one such filthy act sat before him, bound with the power of VAWM. "Jill, was it?" Aegil asked the terrified and paralyzed young woman. She nodded meekly, tears staining her cheeks. He softened his tone. "Hush, child. I mean you no harm. You are simply here to bring to me my true target. I assure you, this will all seem like a horrible dream once it is over."

He rested a hand on Jill's forehead, murmuring, "TRES." The girl's eyes glazed over and she ceased her tears.

Behind the girl, Norman Bayane was at a long table laden with equipment. He had discarded his professional attire for camouflaged fatigues, combat boots, and a tactical harness. Ammunition, an assortment of knives, and a pair of handguns soon found homes on the harness' many pouches and holsters.

Aegil turned away from Jill and stepped up to the assassin. "It has been some time since I've seen you prepared for war."

Bayane grunted in acknowledgement. "Sam has been exposed to my teachings. He knows how I fight, but it goes both ways. This will probably be the hardest duel I've ever fought." Trepidation mixed with pride entered his tone.

"And you believe you can kill him?"

"Of course. Anyone can be killed."

Aegil persisted. "I meant, you believe you can kill your own son?"

Bayane paused in loading a magazine into his pistol. "I am a mage, Thomas," he said quietly, slamming the clip in with a click. "Of the old school." The gun entered a holster. "In recent decades, followers of that mindset have dwindled. It hasn't been as popular. But there are still a few mages like you and me. Ones who believe that our first loyalty is to magic itself. We protect it, nurture it, learn more about it. We further the world of magic through our research and practices. Magic is our only true master. And to further our understanding of it, we would sacrifice anything."

Bayane turned to face Aegil. "You sacrificed decades of your life researching miracles, old friend. You sacrificed three young lives to gain the power of the ancients. You're willing to sacrifice more to make sure you can keep it. Can I call myself a true mage if I don't do any less? I spent more than thirty years perfecting the Empiric Field, the pinnacle of the Bayane family's Enhancement magic. In the end, my son's life pales in comparison to perfecting generations' worth of research."

"Well said, Norman," Aegil said with a thin smile. "When our enemies come - and they will - we will have to divide their forces."

"Leave Sam to me. I will have one of the Hounds bring you the Field once I've secured it."

Aegil nodded. "Then I will take care of Ms. Natalia Elmore." The Archmage pulled a small vial from a pocket containing a pair of eyes. "I will need your help with this procedure, old friend. I will need every edge I can get."

Without a word, the assassin came toward the Archmage with a knife in hand.

October 20, 2016
Raven's Flat
London, England

Much like at the Arena, the flat had become a sort of base. Raven, Jeanne, and Sam were all prepping their weapons. Even Karin was checking her guns, despite Matt insisting that the two of them weren't going to get involved. There would be no convincing Sam to back off, although he was in no condition to fight after his attack. This was more than a little personal for him now.

Which was why Natalia and Derek were busy studying him. Derek was Cody's friend and partner, and Natalia had brought them both. While Cody was a powerhouse of matter, Derek was a being of energy. He could even see energy flow. Which was why Natalia was borrowing his services in an attempt to figure out Sam's Empiric Field.

"And?" Natalia asked him. She'd been directing a mild flow of mana in Sam's vicinity with Derek watching.

"It doesn't outright disappear," he commented. "The energy seems to disperse around him, distributing itself evenly. After that...it's like it just fades.

"Into the ether," Natalia finished. "Thanks, Derek."

"Wavelength," he corrected, not quite comfortable losing his secret identity.

"Dude, this is Natalia and her friends," Cody said from his seat at the kitchen counter. "Forget the whole identity thing for a sec."

She smiled to herself. He had accepted this part of her so easily, and was now here to help her save what was to him a total stranger. Such a sweet guy.

"You think you can take down that Field then?" he asked her.

"Maybe temporarily...I'm not sure, though. It would be nice to have Sam at full strength with us..." She turned to her injured friend. "I'd like to try, with your permission."

Sam nodded, allowing Natalia to approach. To his senses, nothing seemed to happen, but it was evident by the sweat beading on Natalia's forehead that the young woman was deep in concentration. Raven, also attuned to the flow of mana, watched her work with a quizzical raise of an eyebrow.

Ultimately, nothing seemed to happen.

"I assume you failed?" Sam asked.

"I think she's on the right track," Raven interjected. "But we're missing something. It must be how your father was able to graft the Field onto you to begin with. We need to know how he did it. We can reverse-engineer the technique from there. But what? What did he figure out that we're missing?"

"A riddle for later," Sam said, standing. "Aegil and my father have Jill as a hostage. The longer we wait, the worse this will get. We need to find them. Natalia, can you still sense your fellow sorcerers? Maybe with EISU? I have no idea where the Arena would be, but I imagine tracking down Aegil's stolen sorcery should be child's play."

"Yes. I think I sensed Aegil acquiring his stolen powers. Tracking him should be easy." She took a deep breath and focused her energy. She sensed him soon, her body automatically turning in that direction. He was using the power a lot. Typical. Trying out a new toy.

She pointed.
"That way. I think I see... EISU... I see a pit...violence...and something...fuzzy."

"Fuzzy?"

"Unfocused. Barely there at all. Maybe it's nothing - " she stopped. The desire to ignore something only meant one thing. "The Hounds. It's that way alright...I know the building. Let's go."

The group of extranormals followed Natalia's senses into the shadier side of London. Gone were the artful architechture and colorful culture, to be replaced by the grime, mildew, and oppressive atmosphere of the ghetto. Night had fallen by the time they reached a large dilapidated construction site, where tarps covered heavy loaders and other equipment, where mud and dried cement were scattered around the ground, and the whole area had the feel of being incomplete and abandoned.

Whatever high rise would have been built here had long ago been orphaned to the hooligans and predators that made up the criminal underworld.

The partially-completed main building had lights and the pounding of club music emanating from within its sludge-covered walls. A burly pair of bouncers stood at the doors.

Sam turned to his companions, hidden in the shadows by some discarded rebar. "We have to assume that Aegil knows we're coming," he reasoned. "If he has a sorcerer's powers, then he probably has EISU as well. We have to keep his eyes off the majority of us, somehow. Its the only way to sneak up on him. Some of us should try fighting in the Arena, get his attention that way. Natalia and I can then focus on taking down Aegil, the Hounds, and Bayane."

He looked at Natalia. "If you can, try to pinpoint where Aegil and Bayane are. If you go for the Archmage, I can take my father. Let's face it - it will take a sorcerer to beat a sorcerer."

He looked at Jeanne. "I'm going to need back up. Bayane wants my Empiric Field. It'll be safer if I have someone at my side when I find him."

"Why do bad guys always seem to hang out at such dumps?" Cody asked Derek.

The smaller, dark-skinned energy being shrugged. "I don't know, man. Guess it's because you can't have a magic Fight Club at the Olive Garden."

Natalia quietly chuckled to herself. Her two friends were always doing this. She was sure they told these jokes before a fight to relieve the tension. It was kind of cute for her to watch.

Derek then turned to Sam, smiling and stretching. "You want a distraction right? Leave that to us."

Then in the blink of an eye he was gone. He didn't teleport. Derek's abilities centered around energy; absorbing it, expelling it, and changing it. Among his many tricks was the ability to vibrate himself at 80% light's speed. Everything seemed to slow down for him as he zoomed up to the two bouncers, stood between them, and shocked them unconscious.

And during all that everyone else was blinking.

"Wow..." Raven said under her breath.

Cody cracked his knuckles. "Well...time to wreak some havoc."

"Wait," Natalia said. She put her hand on the back of his neck and pulled him down, kissing him deeply. "Be safe."

He took her hands, kissed them, and joined Derek inside.

"We should wait about five minutes," she told her friends. "That should get a decent distraction started."

Sam nodded before leveling a stolid look at Natalia. " 'Aren't that serious?' " he asked, quoting something she said a few weeks ago when she and Cherie first visited Paris. The young woman at least had the composure to redden sheepishly. "Uh-huh," the mercenary grunted.

After five minutes had elapsed, Sam, Natalia, Raven, and Jeanne darted toward the building. Lights, explosions, and the screams of chaos and battle met them as they pushed open the doors and looked in. The building was supposed to be three stories tall with a basement level. The floor had never been fully completed, leaving the basement level completely exposed in certain locations. The structuring turned the building into an ideal arena, with three floors for the audience to mill about and an entire basement level to fight in. Pillars, support struts, and abandoned equipment littered the ground, adding an element of confusion and terrain into any battle in the Arena.

It was there that Sam could see Cody and Derek battling it out with bouncers as well as Arena fighters. Magic and improvised weapons flew back and forth as the two superhumans tore the place apart.

"If we're going to move, we need to do it now," Sam said. He looked to Natalia, who pointed toward the third floor. That had to be where Aegil and Bayane were. He looked around. There was an elevator near them, along with a fuse box for the ground level. He walked over and pried the box open and began fiddling inside.

"What're you up to?" Jeanne inquired.

Suddenly, all the lights on the ground floor and basement went dark. "Buying us more time," Sam said. He looked up. "There's probably a second box on either the second or third floor. Raven."

The alchemist nodded. "On it." She walked into the elevator and slashed the roof open with an electrical whip before climbing up the shaft.

Sam looked at Natalia. "Go for Aegil, try to keep him as far from Bayane as possible. If I fail to stop my father, then the distance should at least buy some time before Aegil gets his hands on the Empiric Field - I don't know how Father will use it or transport it, but we have to assume he has a way of doing so."

Then he looked at Jeanne. "I'm going to need a lift."

As Sam directed Natalia's attention to the third floor, she nodded and in a blink was gone. She popped instantly into the room. There was an old man whose eyes looked hideously mangled around the edges. It took a moment for her to realize what the problem was: those weren't his eyes. Bayane was there and he trained his gun on her instantly. She didn't have time for this.

"Get out," she said to him, levitating him briefly, before throwing him out the observation window into the chaos of the Arena.

Then she turned to the old man.
"Aegil, I presume."

"Thomas Aegil," he confirmed with a curt nod. "Archmage - or rather, Arch Sorcerer. I don't have to ask who you are."

Natalia scoffed. Was he trying to be intimidating? If anything, it was almost funny.

"This can only end one way," she warned.

"I agree," he replied, then stuck out his arm. "
HRAF!"

The air leading from his hand spontaneously combusted into a plume of fire, only to be met by Natalia's blast of cold she sent to counter it.

"Want to show me something impressive now? Like some real fire?" She opened her palm and curled her fingers. Suddenly a dazzlingly bright light appeared in her hand - a miniature sun, burning orange and yellow. "Like this."

She extended her hand and a bolt of molten plasma arced towards Aegil. He ducked and started to run, her plasma slicing through the wall behind him. He must have remembered his new powers because all of a sudden he was gone. She didn't have to focus hard to locate him.

"Roof." Without a sound she teleported, in hot pursuit.

Bayane kept his deadly calm even as he was forcibly defenestrated. He reacted instantly to his fall, grabbing the edge of the window ledge and swinging himself back toward the solid surface of the floor a story below. He landed in a hard PK roll, the movement dispersing the force of his fall evenly. He went still in the center of the second floor and dust drifted down around him a cloud.

At the same time, Jeanne's lithe figure appeared, landing from a mighty jump a dozen feet in front of Bayane, with her arm around Sam's torso. The swordswoman brandished her blade as Sam drew a pistol. Bayane rose to his feet, his own handgun firmly in hand.

Sam stared across at his father. They were so similar and so perfectly dissimilar at the same time. Both moved in a circle around one another with an easy, catlike grace born from long training and experience. Sam was leaner in build, but Norman was bulkier. Both were similar coloring and identical height. The father worked his hands and shoulders, while the son flexed his fingers around the handle of his gun. Both fought with that asymmetric way of looking at the world, where even a pebble was a weapon. One wielded magic to devastating effect in close combat and the other was untouched by it.

"I'm curious to see how far you've come in your training," Norman said suddenly in Tagalog. "Can you beat me, son? The man who created the skills Karin taught you?"

"The way of the warrior is never static, Father," Sam replied easily. "Karin's - no, your - style was not the only one I learned."

"You've taken major injuries over the years," Norman said with a touch of sadness. "Had you been able to use magic, I would have taught you Enhancement. Our family's proficiency in that field is such that you'd never have to worry about permanent injuries again."

"Who's fault was it that I can't use magic?" Sam shot back bitterly.

"Our family are proud mages, Sam. We are the only Filipino mages in existence. You are the third generation and I robbed you of the wonders of magic. I did not do that callously. I did it for the magic. We are mages, of the old school! You know what that means - our loyalty is to magic first, to further our understanding of it. You have proven that the Empiric Field works! You are the culmination of decades of research!"

"Don't expect any thanks," Sam growled. "What does Aegil want the Field for?"

"You're a smart man. Surely you've guessed?"

"I want to hear it from your own mouth," the mercenary pressed. "Especially since you're going to have to kill me to get it back. I'll beat the answer out of you if I have to!"

Guns blazed as both men drew at the same time. Bayane somehow managed to dodge the bullet, moving with speed born from Enhancement, while Sam held his ground. Jeanne stepped in with her own superhuman agility and deflected the assassin's attack with a swipe of her sword.

The three darted in and out, the two men weaving behind pillars and the furniture scattered throughout the ground, while the swordswoman acted as Sam's defensive shield. With Enhancement, Bayane was even faster than Jeanne and likely even stronger. The two lovers moving in tandem were untouchable as they worked offense and defense perfectly in sync. Soon, two pistols had expended their magazines.

Even as Sam moved to reload, his father changed tactics and charged in. Jeanne moved to intercept, but the powerfully-built assassin exchanged strikes and parries with her without a hint of hesitation. To Sam's astonishment, Norman Bayane managed to catch one of Jeanne's thrusts between an elbow and knee, then twisted in such a way as to disarm her and move right into a spinning sidekick that sent her over the edge of the broken floor toward the Arena below. Jeanne managed to catch some exposed rebar, dangling in the air. Bereft of her sword, she was suddenly limited to only her normal human physical abilities and she struggled to gain a firm hold.

Desperate to end the battle, Sam moved in with speed born of efficiency and without a single wasted movement. But his father was faster. Mana pumped into his limbs, giving him speed born from raw power. He vanished with a puft of raised dirt and gravel, his fist - also charged with mana to the point that it was as hard as steel - crashing into Sam's pistol as the mercenary brought it to parry. The gun exploded into shards of twisted steel. A hook was parried into an uppercut that was dodged flowing into a jab-jab-cross that was slipped twice before being deflected by an open palm.

Then came Sam's counterattack. He darted in, scooped up Jeanne's blade, and became a whirling barrage of steel likewise being dodged and parried, only this time by bare hands and feet laced with mana. They moved with the same vicious fury and economy of motion, but there were subtle differences.

When they parted, neither had landed even a glancing blow. Norman smiled in pride. "You've taken my style in a new direction. Added sword techniques. Changed the footwork. Made it yours."

"It was the answer I needed for this," Sam replied, raising his mauled left hand. "And it was a good move in hindsight; you're mastery of unarmed combat is beyond mine. But you don't fight against blades as often as I do. I can tell."

"Then we are at an impasse. It will be skill alone that determines who wins this match."

They came together again. The sounds of their furious battle echoed in the large chamber as they danced violently across it, back and forth, steel against flesh.

I need to use the Field against him, Sam thought as he parried another vicious combination. He's just too fast and too strong as long as he can use Enhancement! He saw Jeanne out of the corner of his eye. She was still struggling. I need to end this fast.

Meanwhile, Norman thought, I just need an opportunity, just one opening to take the Field from him!

And so they continued to dance their deadly dance. Sam began moving backward, baiting his father to come after him, allowing him to press the advantage. Suddenly, the lights above them flickered and died as the power was suddenly cut. Raven, Sam realized. She found the fuse box.

That briefest fraction of an instant - where the eyes still needed time to adjust to the darkness - was the opening Sam needed. He shoulder-checked his father in the chest, the contact just enough to shut down the mana flowing through his limbs. Suddenly reduced to human speed and strength, Norman Bayane was significantly easier to deal with. Sam was all over him with a flurry of whirling steel, pushing his father back against the wall.

But Norman was not finished. He caught Sam's downward cut by the wrist and pulled hard, forcing Sam to plant face-first into the stone wall. Then he twisted the arm behind the back, forcing Sam to drop the sword. The mercenary countered by throwing his head back and catching Norman in the nose hard enough to shatter it and followed up with a powerful back-kick that sent him flying.

Norman stood and wiped the blood from his face as Sam retrieved his fallen blade. "Five seconds, eh?"

"Three now," Sam admitted.

"Again, we're at an impasse. My magic's restored and its too dark for either of us to fully see our surroundings. For me, that'll be less of an issue as I enhance my eyesight. On the other hand, your bladework is good enough that I can't break your defenses easily."

"And I'm not fast or strong enough to easily kill you."

They stood there silently for a long moment, simply sizing one another up. "I'm proud of you, Sam," Norman said finally. "Win or lose, I'm glad to see the man you grew up to be." He took up an aggressive stance. "But I will take the Empiric Field."

Sam replied with a stance of his own. "Like hell."

For the last time, they came together, flowing from one combination into the next. Sam's brows furrowed in tight concentration. He had to win. Natalia, Jill, all of them needed him to win, or Aegil would have everything he needed to suceed. He had to surpass his father, or die trying! Victory had to lie somewhere beyond just the fight. He grasped onto that thought and pressed the attack.

As they maneuvered back and forth, they crossed the scattered construction equipment and furniture. Sam slashed a chain holding a net of shattered bricks overhead, causing the whole of it to crash dangerously close to Bayane's head. The assassin, in turn, pumped mana into the stony pile and caused it to detonate. The mercenary was briefly blinded by the display and countered by digging the tip of Jeanne's sword into the floor and hurling chunks of tile at his father. Bayane caught some of the debris and threw it back, glowing with over-charged mana. Sam cut the improvised bomb in half just before it exploded.

The barrage continued. Cut above, thrust below, a flash of steel across Bayane's field of vision. That last move, a deliberate miss, blocked the assassin's vision for a brief instant. That was the opening Sam needed. The blade sank into Bayane's abdomen.

The assassin let out a pained cry and fell to his knees in defeat.

Sam released the hilt, letting the steel remain in his father's gut. "Its over, Father."

"Indeed," the assassin gasped. "You've...surpassed me. Gone...farther than I could have. Congratulations, son." Suddenly, a dark smile crossed his features. "But...I always have a backup plan."

From the rafters above, a slender shape fell from the darkness. Sam Ebayan let out a cry as a taser tore into his back, sending a powerful shock throughout his body. The First Hound kept the electrical weapon pressed against the mercenary's flesh. Bayane used the last bit of strength in his body to draw a knife and buried it into his son's ribcage.

"I made the Empiric Field of Reality," the assassin said darkly. "I can unmake it."

Sam let out a scream as he felt something tear away from his insides. Fire burned throughout every vein, every artery, every muscle. It seemed like every cell in his body was being ripped apart and stitched haphazardly back together.

Bayane slowly pulled the knife out of his son's side. Tendrils of dark energy swirled around its steel edge. Once fully free, the assassin pumped mana in a very specific way, creating channels within the steel. He didn't Enhance the knife like he normally did. He created whole circuits through which mana could flow. The Empiric Field latched onto that man-made latticework like an anchor onto rock. Mana seeped out of those channels, drained away by the nature of the Empiric Field. The knife blade shattered.

In its place, attached to the remaining handle, was a three-foot-long blade of twisted black material. Not steel, not any kind of metal or element known to man. It wasn't even much of a blade. It was all twisted angles, bent this way and that, with edges sharpened randomly across its surface. This sword, alien as it was, was never meant to cut flesh.

This sword was meant to cut magic.

Sam Ebayan's body fell to the ground with a thud. His hair and beard were pure white, now. His face, already prematurely lined, had burned and cracked and now looked like weather-beaten leather. He seemed to have aged a decade or two in an instant.

"No!" screamed Jeanne, who had just pulled herself up from her precarious position. She was still, horrified at what she had just witnessed.

Bayane sighed tiredly, handing the newly-forged sword to the Hound. "Go. Take this to the Archmage."

"What of you?" the Hound asked.

The assassin shook his head. "I'm dead already. My job's done. Go." The Hound seemed to melt into the air, so forgettable was he.

Jeanne rushed to her lover's side, cradling his head in her lap. He breathed quietly. He did not wake.

Bayane sank to his rump, clutching the sword still buried in his abdomen. "Take care of him," he begged quietly.

The swordswoman gave him a dark glare. "You killed him!"

"Maybe. Maybe not. There's no way to tell, now. But the Field is no longer his. And you needn't worry about revenge." He coughed painfully. "Sam's already killed me. You may think me a monster for sacrificing my own flesh and blood. But just how much did he sacrifice for his ideals? We are men of ideals, girl. We would give up the world to see them fulfilled. I have...I have...no regrets."

With that, Norman Bayane died.

• Love
As soon as Natalia appeared on the roof Aegil attacked. As before it was feeble; the plasma bolt he created had nowhere near the strength of hers. But then, he had produced a static instability in the air in his hand, whereas she had created a small fusion reaction.

It didn't feel like a magic fight to her. No matter what he threw, whether he used heat or cold, she deflected his attacks. The challenging part was striking him down, because despite his power being slightly weaker, he was just as accomplished as she was, maybe even more so. So it wasn't truly a fight, not for either of them, more like the world's most frustrating dance.

---

The number of opponents had winded down for Cody and Derek. With the chaos around them they hadn't noticed Sam and Bayane's fight. They also hadn't noticed the young woman who walked up behind Cody.

Until she touched his shoulder.

He turned and raised his fist, iron present around his knuckles and in lines across his arm. He paused when he saw who it was.

"Um, hello," he said. She said nothing, but strangely he could feel her grip tighten. "Are you Natalia's friend? Jill?"

Still she didn't answer. She just stared blankly forward, her grip actually starting to hurt his arm a little. That was weird.

"Um, girl?"

She raised a hand, curling it into a fist. Cody shook his head. "Uh, I wouldn't do that if I were you. You could hurt yourself."

She punched him in the face and he staggered back. He held his nose. That actually hurt. Before he could react further she punched his stomach, then kidney, then dealt him a swift uppercut. He stumbled again, but this time caught her wrist when she attempted to deck him again. Damn. She fought like he did.

Exactly like he did.

"You some kind of power leech, girl?" he asked. His answer was her taking his arm and throwing him over her head, smacking him into the building's concrete foundation so hard it cracked. Then she threw him again, but this time he recovered himself.

In a blur Derek was there, trying to shock Jill into unconsciousness.

"Dude stop! She absorbs powers!" Cody warned.

Derek took another look at the girl and saw her eyes glowing bright orange. "Ah, crap."

Twin bolts of hot energy escaped her eyes and knocked him back. Cody got up to receive the same burn. Then in the blink of an eye she was in front of him. Jill combined Derek's speed with Cody's strength to land crosses and body shots too fast for him to keep up. The onslaught of blows made Cody drop to his knees, for the first time bleeding during a fight.

She kicked him into one of the pits. Derek rushed her, but they were both equally fast, so she caught him by his neck and slammed him into the ground.

By the time they both got up, she was heading for the roof.

---

Back on the roof, Natalia could sense something very wrong on the floors below her. She sensed a presence too, a person she hadn't felt there before. She couldn't help but pause, turning EISU on the building. She found Jeanne and Raven kneeling over someone, crying. She could sense Raven trying to heal him, but it wasn't working.

"Sam," she whispered to herself. "No."

"You feel it too," Aegil observed. "A shame to lose him. Bayane's son had as much potential as the mage himself. Now he has but minutes to live."

Tears welled up in Natalia's eyes. No. Not Sam. He could come back from anything. She glared at Aegil and screamed.

"RRAAAHH!!!" She levitated a nearby water tower and threw the whole thing at him, keeping her power trained on it so he couldn't deflect.

"
UHYN!" Aegil shouted.

The wood around the water tower rotted away in midair, the metal rusting into dust. Unfortunately accelerating time did nothing to a metric ton of water, which ended up dropping on top of him. He was sprawled out on the roof, slowly getting back up. Natalia made a casual, angry approach towards him, determined to fry him into dust.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned. In seconds her anger evaporated, replaced by confusion.

"Jill?" She took her friend's hands. "You're okay?"

"Natalia!" Cody was there, along with Derek. They both looked like they'd just taken a beating. Their eyes were locked on Jill.

She looked back at her. She was gripping her hands tight and Natalia thought it looked like Jill was glowing. She looked in pain. She was holding onto a sorceress's power without any way to control it. It could rip her apart.

Jill parted hands and pushed, her magic sending Natalia flying. She stopped herself in midair. Jill raised her hand. Her palm burned as she built up heat, her fingers turning black as a tiny fireball manifested itself in her grasp. She threw it at Natalia, who easily scattered the fuel and put out the fire. Jill shook, and the glowing stopped. Natalia then dropped down.

The girl tried to attack again, but Cody and Derek intervened, jumping back in for a rematch.

"What are you all doing?" she asked. Not only was Jill's behavior a surprise, but to have her other friends attack a normally helpless girl was an equal shock.

"She's been brainwashed or something!" Cody blurted out as Jill struck him with a hard left cross. He grabbed her as she made to hit again and put her in a bear hug to keep her contained.

Natalia rounded on Aegil, who was just starting to get up.
"You..."

She made another little sun in her hand and fired a bolt of plasma at Aegil. With a shout of "UHYN!" he slowed her down to a crawl. He had meant to freeze her in time, but he wasn't yet that capable, and instead had reduced her to slow motion. The bolt crawled out of her hand, still making its way towards him.

She was unaware as everything unfolded.

She didn't perceive Aegil stepping out of the way.

She didn't see the Hound suddenly appear and offer Aegil the magic blade, bowing as he did.

Not until the slow motion spell was broken and it was too late.

Last edited:
Aegil grinned as he held the twisted sword aloft. When Natalia's gaze landed on it, she could instantly identify its alien nature. No other phenomenon in the world outright ignored her mystical senses the way that sword did. Horror, dread, and anger warred on her face at the revelation of what Aegil and Bayane had done.

"Yes," Aegil intoned proudly, slashing the air with the blade and creating a hollow whoosh due to its strange profile, "We have taken the Skullman's unique power and weaponized it. This, young lady, is the true nature of the Empiric Field. The ultimate weapon to kill magic users. The greatest of magical heresies."

He leveled its point at her. "Not even you can stop it."

Natalia challenged that statement with actions. Fireballs hotter than the sun, boulders of concrete ripped from the walls and floors, scattered construction equipment transmuted into vicious mechanized animals...all came at Aegil in a flood of magic.

He countered with calmness. A slash here, a thrust there. He was no swordsman. His strokes carried none of the efficient brilliance or long practice of either Sam or Jeanne. But his seemingly feeble strikes sundered each work of magic. To Natalia's senses, she could feel each and every thread of mana suddenly snap at the barest touch of that twisted scrap of blackness in the Archmage's hand.

He turned the floor into roiling flames. She countered. He cut her return strike with the sword and turned the air around her into chlorine gas. She unmade his changes and struck back. A swipe of the sword undid her work. He tried to make her heart explode, but she overpowered his magic word with her own and lashed out with the same. The word's effects caused his chest to clamp tight in agony, but he then turned the blade upon himself and lightly slashed his own breast...just enough to severe TRES' near-fatal effects without ending his own abilities.

"I have been planning this for a long time, Natalia Elmore," the Archmage said grimly. "I did not enter this battle without taking in every variable and possibility. I will kill you and become the sole sorcerer on this planet. Through me, a new age of miracles will be born. No longer will we mages live in shadow and secrecy. Once all my enemies are defeated, the Age of Magic will begin!"

"...Not every variable."

Lightning crackled around Aegil's hand and the hilt of the sword. And only the hilt. Shocking pain caused him to drop the weapon, where it clattered on the ground.

Raven stood at the edge of the battlefield, lightning whips deployed. At her feet was the body of a Hound, his throat marked by electrical burns. Her whips lashed out, taking advantage of Aegil's momentary break in defense, striking twice. One blow sent him back a step while the other burned across his eyes.

He roared in pain and clutched at his ruined eyes. He screamed out TRES as his eyes began to mend....

Status
Not open for further replies.