Rise from Destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wincing back from his snarl, Kyrie held her ground finding herself extremely surprised not to feel the bite of fangs or claws when she refused to heed to his whim.

Though it was clear he became bored with her, moving to his goal of the city. "Kade no!" the woman squirmed in her own boots watching him move around her at a sluggish pace. Her lips pursed into a thin line as tears streamed het face. "Kade no!" anger entered her on voice, extremely unusual but she could do it in dire moments. And this was the dire moment of a lifetime, maybe two. Lives depended on her being able to convince the peculiar from his deed.

A hand reached forward to grab softly yet firmly to an arm, her eyes filling with worry, with pleading for him to stop. But she kept her hand on him, pulling against him in hopes, "Kade, please!"

The touch brought an immediate, bloodcurdling snarl that verged on a roar and drowned out at her words to his throat and the hybrid's claws instantly rose to swat her away. The damage that would cause could easily be life-threatening, but his claws never found their mark. Time seemed to still. His heartbeat rushed into his ears, each thump feeling like it was trying to drive a nail into his mind. The heat in his blood suddenly grew cold. The snarl in his throat died down to a growl and his hand...it shook, claws just brushing the fragile skin of the neck he'd been fully prepared to slash. Dilated, slitted silver eyes stared into a pair of mix-matched brown and blue, not moving, not thinking, simply frozen.

And then one word, something that made sense in the whirling chaos, whispered itself through the blood lust and rage.

Kyrie.

Time started again and the hybrid leaped back away from her as if she'd burned him, growling horribly as his hands came up to his head and his knees hit the sand. He didn't understand! No, no there was nothing to understand. There was only the hunger and the anger, the drive to kill, there was only- But he didn't understand! He wanted to understand! No! Kill! No understanding! Hunt, chase, kill!

But...Kyrie...

No! Kill!

Kyrie.

Kill!

The hybrid gave a roar, his head shaking, feralism fighting intelligence, two words battling in his mind, one of them making complete sense and the other completely confusing but somehow full of hope he'd long since given up on.

Last edited:
Then she knew true fear. Snapping her eyes closed as he snapped and began to strike out at her, the human girl cringed readying herself for the agony that would rip her asunder. She knew he wasn't horrible, knew it to the core of her heart and mind and she refused to think he was as nasty as people seem him.as. But she couldn't pretend either that Kade was prone to being a terror of blood and gore, but the girl wanted him to stop. To not harm people who didn't deserve it, who were trying to survive like them.

She waited.

But, what came wasn't what she was expecting, the brush to het neck jerked her gaze open turning to look at him when he gripped his head letting out a roar of sheer pain and confusion. "Kade," sorrow coated her voice, hurting for him wanting nothing more to take it away so he could find a peace of mind. Anything for someone who had been so kind to her.

The woman moved on instinct of her own, a selfish drive as her hands came out to palm either side of his face, soft and soothing with there stroking thumb. "It'll be alright," tears glistened in a soft patter down, "Kade, it wasn't your fault but you can stop it. Your stronger than you think. I've seen it. You aren't a monster, your not one of them. Please Kade, you can do this."

Words.

Words made sense now, slightly garbled at first, but then snapping together within his mind and showing themselves to be important once more. He didn't want them to be. He wanted them to go away and leave him to the easy road, the one that didn't involve fighting and clawing his way back to sanity, the one that didn't involve pain and exhaustion and guilt and self-loathing. He wanted to shake away the touch on his face and make the expectations and faith suddenly being put in him leave him alone.

But he couldn't.

If he did, if he lost control again...Kyrie was dead. And somehow, that meant something. He didn't know why, but it did.

So he fought. He wasn't as strong as she thought. He knew he wasn't and he was a monster, but he could try. He could at least try to hang on until night, he could get her somewhere safe again. He could do that. He had to do that. He had to let it go, though. He had to. It wouldn't be denied and he wasn't strong enough. He had to kill, to fight, to run, to taste the blood that would soak the ground when he was done. To hear the screams and-

No!

No. He was Kade. Kade! He was human. He wanted to be human!

He wanted blood.

Kyrie.

A snarl left his mouth, fangs bared and his silver eyes hazed over, not looking at the woman but somewhere beyond her. His feral mind seemed to lose momentum at the very name of the female in front of him and the human side of Kade struggled to its feet, using that.

Kyrie. Kyrie. Kyrie.

Another growl, anger and sullen left his mouth before his eyes started to focus and his body to shake with reaction. His slit pupils started to widen, not fully but somewhat and Kade gasped and breathed as if he'd been dunked in frigid waters, looking at Kyrie with a mixture of disbelief - WHY was she still HERE?! - fear of what he'd nearly done and a gratefulness he couldn't even put into words.

She could see the struggle in his emotions, in how he moved and clenched even if she couldn't understand it. Not that she personally wanted too.

Patience and fright sat ready to be used at a moment's command, watching him with a careful grace and diligent wariness that kept glancing back towards the city knowing that sooner or later they would be more arms coming to the call. And she wasn't so sure how willing Kade would be a second time to heed anything she did, even vaguely.

It gave her all the more reason to hope that he would regain a mild footing that he could flee back out of the way of the humans. And that mere thought alone had the woman slipping her hands away to delicately touch his shoulder with a very light shake. "Kade you need to get out of here," speaking softly showing that she was more afraid for him than herself - she was still afraid there just her focus was him- "There will probably be more coming and I don't want you to risk yourself anymore than you have! Please?" sure they'd probably happily kill her but in truth, she rather that than him. She couldn't just let him die if she knew she could have done something for it.

He looked at her, uncomprehending at first the danger she was saying he was in, and then he looked away from her and back at the city, blinking, watching the people gathering on the walls. Understanding sank in then and Kade jerked to his feet, taking Kyrie with him, a hand pulling her up without any thought at all. His silver eyes looked down to the small woman then, searching her face and then looking around at the carnage he'd caused. The urge to vomit rose high in his throat before he swallowed it back down. It came more from the instant hunger that hit BEFORE the remorse did.

"Don't scream." They were the only words he could force past his throat as his arms wrapped around Kyrie, pulling her close as his wings expanded to their full length, each one about as long as he was tall and they gave a few great flaps, lifting him into the air with some strain from a standstill, but he hardly let it stop him. The hot air rising from the earth helped with updrafts soon enough and Kade climbed higher in the air, keeping a tight hold on the human in his arms as he put distance between them and the city.

There was absolutely no chance he was leaving her with the very people who'd tried to take a shot at her, who would kill her as soon as he left.

No, she'd brought him back not just from the brink but from the pit itself. She'd just repaid every single debt between them with that action alone and he'd be damned if anyone was going to hurt her and rid the world of a gift like that. He didn't know WHAT he was going to do about this whole situation, but he did know that the solution did not reside in that city.

Don't... scream?

That was usually something that wouldn't sit right with anyone let alone her. And her mind hummed like crazy to try and understand what he was trying to get at. Though it would seem she wouldn't need to dwell on it long as the flight was taken and she felt gravity give way from her feet and the ground with it.

Instantly she clung for the fear of being dropped. Not that she was so certain Kade would do such a thing, but one was never too sure at this precise moment.

-----

When her feet touched the ground, her knees buckled as she slumped forward to feel the ground beneath her palms with a heavy exhale that wanted nothing more than to be released. She didn't mind flying, but it certainly let her mind catch up with the rest of her.

The humans didn't want her - no surprise there- but now all the work Kade had done was totally undone. And guilt racked through her like a tidal wave.

"I'm sorry Kade, I should have told you about how other's don't-" Kyrie bit her lip turning to look towards him with fresh tears in her eyes. "I ruined everything!"

Her scent was overwhelming again and Kade moved away a few steps, NEEDING to as he took gulps through his mouth barely aware of their surroundings - he'd actually taken them to an abandoned town, a place half-buried in sand now and broken down, but some buildings still standing surprisingly enough. He was struggling, trying so very hard to keep his mind under his control, his body doing what he wanted. It was hard, so incredibly difficult and when Kyrie spoke, he shook his head, a savage sounding chuckle in his throat. He really couldn't sound anything less than animalistic right now, though. Not after that, not when he barely had any control right now as it was.

"You ruined nothing. Those a**holes who tried to shoot you ruined it and they won't do that again." All right, so he was having some trouble with the whole feeling guilt thing. If he'd torn up the city, sure. Guilt abound, self-loathing away, but Kyrie had stopped that and the two he had gutted, well they'd deserved it. Huh...he'd finally gotten something right in his feral state. Would wonders never cease.

"I ruined it. If they hadn't seen me-"

He cut off with a hiss, bringing his bloodied hands to his head with a whimpering growl, fangs bared.

Dammit, no! No. It wasn't night yet. He could hold off until the moon rose. He could...

Last edited:
There were far too many reasons for everything happening and just was much blame and guilt that could choke them both out and then some. But was it worth it? No honestly it wasn't and while she might have realized it fully within the core of her entity, Kyrie couldn't help but find her focus linger upon that of Kade. Watching as the struggle of himself continued in a painful array of emotions and drives that flickered across his face.

No... humans were cruel. They didn't know Kade and they didn't know anyone else other than those they clustered around, even then there was still squabbles over stupid things. All because no one wanted to see past what was in front of their faces. Okay granted watching Kade rent and tear and gorged himself into the blood of the humans was terrifying and it only made him seem like the very thing everyone was so terrified of, but they didn't know either the agony of him trying to fight himself.

And she was getting a front row seat to it all. Even if she -just like many others- didn't understand. It was hard to watch and harder to feel compressing tight into her chest.

Drawing her bottom lip through her teeth shuffling forward on her hands and knees -unsure what her motive was and how it could backlash to her- the human girl came close to the peculiar striving and fighting against the two warring natures under his own flesh.

"Kade," a twitch of a hand wiggling her fingers in a trembling notion, Kyrie reached out to sensitively put her hand to an arm. "Everything will be alright." did she know that? No she didn't but she still held it firm in her tone even if she was putting the blame onto her own shoulders. He didn't need to see that, right now he needed to know that there was a light at the end of this tunnel and he could find it. "I don't want to play the blame game, it was many factors that lead to this and you need to know that in my own eyes, you didn't do anything wrong. So please.... don't think you did."

Her touch sent a shock through his body, something the didn't recognize and couldn't put a name to, but he also couldn't say whether it was abnormal or not. It wasn't like he had people touching him when he was in this kind of state and the fact that she was only served to elevate her status of strange and yet awing at the same time to him. Or maybe that was the less than lucidness talking. He didn't know, but what he did have a handle on was the fact that he didn't much care who was to blame right now - and he knew it was him - but was rather focused on not losing completely control.

So Kade nodded to Kyrie, accepting whatever she wanted to say just so he could speak of something else, warn her. "You need to..to..." He looked up, half-slit eyes looking around at where they were and he shook his head, pain pounding there with the restraint he was placing on the feral nature. "Pick a building." His silver eyes looked to her and the rage lurked there, in the depth of his gaze, the wild, untamed lust for the hunt, for blood not far from his tone, given form in the way his tail lashed and coiled, his wings restless and his claws flexing. He was a hair-trigger from falling right back into the void she'd somehow pulled him out from.

The day was nearing sunset. He'd flown long and hard to get them to safety but even that exhaustion would leave when the night came and the moon rose.

"You need to find some place to stay. I...the moon....I won't....I can't..." He growled, claws digging into his palms again, fresh blood joining his and the human's dried blood from earlier. "Kyrie, you have to stay away from me tonight. You have to be quiet and hidden. Do you understand?"

He didn't know what she'd done to get him to come back, but he wouldn't count on it happening twice.

She had to stay away from him? A bit of hurt entered her gaze trying to desperately understand why help her yet again when she was just being sent away, yes he told her about the moon but he didn't care to explain the whole thing to her either.

And where was she suppose to hide honestly that he couldn't find her, she still smelt like a human and in a place that was vacant of all humans, it wouldn't be hard for him to hone her out. She wasn't that daft.

She didn't want too, and then again she wanted to run and hide in the very same breath. But what was she suppose to do!

Pursing her lips tight pulling her grasp back looking over her own hand as eyes squeezed shut trying to riddle through the right choice and the wrong one, conflicted in ways beyond what could be seen and it bridled tight within every ounce of her being. Coiling like a snake unsure of when she wanted to strike out at the options.

"I don't want to hide, Kade." she shook her head letting the soft whine of a whimper hit her tone as it took back to its drastic quiet, "Friends don't abandon each other!" that came out louder as she looked him square in the silver slitted eyes. "I don't care what you say, be it right or not. Kade, I... I can't leave you like this! I won't!" her pig headed stubbornness came out past her lips without a single merit to say she was kidding. "Please don't ask me to run away from someone who has been the only considerate piece of humanity that I've been able to be around. I don't want to hide."

Kade stared at her.

He just stared.

She was insane. Completely and utterly demented. She was crazy. She had a death wish! Didn't she realize he was trying to keep her safe?! Didn't she have any kind of self-preservation! What was wrong with her! Bonkers she was!

She'd called him 'friend' and essentially 'human'. She was incredible. Rare. She was not human, but surely had to be something heavenly. She was kind and wonderful. She had a bizarre faith in him he did not understand but desperately wanted to live up to, was scared of failing. He'd only known her a week or so and already she had caused an affect on him that was astounding.

She was still insane, though.

Kade's hands moved, uncaring of the blood on his palms as he grabbed her head in a careful grip, moving her hair back and looked deeply into her mismatched eyes, trying to understand her, failing to do so. "And I don't want to kill you. Can't you understand that? I don't have control, none on the full moon. I won't be able to stop again. I can't offer you anything else but this place, this chance. Hide, please."

His voice nearly broke on the last word. He didn't want to hurt her! He hadn't had anything to care about in any way, little or great, since the Blackout. She was something he'd never had since this all started - even if he didn't know what that something was - and he didn't want to lose it.

She could do without the staring as if she suddenly sprouted an extra head and a tail to match his own. But it was better than him whimpering under his breath and grasping for logic in a mind that screamed for gore. But she still didn't like it.

A forward woman would have said so, Kyrie merely shied from it.

Though a deep surprise echoed through her feeling the careful grasp reach and twine around her cranium forcing her to turn a deep hot crimson filling her face aware, so aware she was looking at him in full view and forced to hold his gaze.

Swallowing hard, Kyrie tilted her head to look up at him a little further seeing the panic there but amazed that he believed so little in himself. "Kade, I am only one human. You'd easily be able to find me here, my scent is new. Fresh in this place where old scents have long faded and now are nothing more than the air itself." she didn't like hearing his voice begging her to leave. "It'd make no difference in the end, if I am hiding or refusing to let you struggle with something that is trying to overwhelm you. I am not heartless, why would I want to turn my back on you in hopes to keep myself alive? Yes I might be stupid, but I... I don't want to run away and cower. I do that enough already. Do you really think I'll be any safer out there where you will probably find me or even the fact that there could be other peculiars hiding in the city. Kade..." she would plead with him if she had too, she was willing to beg.... she didn't want to just give up and hide. No... she couldn't.

She made perfect sense and yet no sense at all....and he wasn't much better. Each of their ideas and desires had a point to them, but each had a horrible flaw, too. Did she want to hide and wait and hope he didn't find her and kill her or did she want to stay here, watch him lose his mind and see death coming? He could see nothing but death at the end of all this and it caused a twisting sensation in his gut that wouldn't leave, but in the end...he supposed Kyrie had the right to choose how she died. He could at least give that to her...same as he'd bring that death upon her as well.

Kade shut his eyes, sighing heavily, feeling sick, but he nodded and released Kyrie, wincing when he looked at her again and saw the blood he'd left on her face and hair. He looked down at his hands then, at the crescent marks in his skin, a great deal of them and most scarred over, and then closed his fists again. The smell of blood made his senses swim and the hybrid growled deep in his throat again, looking up to the darkening sky.

A faint, tingling hum had started along his skin, something he knew to be extremely unnatural, but had grown used to. It would only get worse, seeping into his blood, his mind as the moon rose and climbed higher in the sky. He'd speculated that it was an energy of some kind or maybe a reaction to the unique moonlight...all kinds of crazy ideas and none of them he could prove. His body trembled with tension as he brought his eyes back down to Kyrie's.

"I'm sorry. Whatever...whatever happens, whatever I do....I'm sorry."

A patter of warmth expanded through the cavity of her chest, fingers reaching up to feel the liquid copper to her face brushing it against her shoulder doing well to the moment not to be horribly disgusted by it. No her focus needed to be here. To prove a personal point that he seemed to need drilled into his apparent thick skull that he wasn't as weak as he wanted and claimed to be. She seen him already, watched him get back a composure that was human and yet he still wanted to believe that he was some sort of unearthly creature.

Just because something drastic and inhuman happened to him didn't make him one. She didn't believe it, wouldn't.

Call her crazy and stupid and moronic but this girl didn't want to see the negative in life. There was already so much of it corrupting the lands into a void of paranoia.

Then came the most genuine of grins ever to grace her face and it was aimed directly to him. Lips curled into a sympathetic grateful twist of a smile that never once held a piece of blame or righteous hatred. There was nothing more than a devoted compassion that the small human girl welled easily to her charms.

"It's okay Kade." the three words were flawlessly heartfelt. The girl liked him, it was clear and she was braving the very fury of his secondary side just to prove it. Kyrie had an affliction for the peculiar and it wasn't about to be tainted by his own fear or the death that he would easily create for her.

In that moment, in her eyes of two colours, Kyrie merely accepted him as a human and one she felt she had a sort of friend bond with. Even if it was only her, he had been the only one -other than her father- who had been kind enough to allow her close enough to do so.

There'd never be malice against him.

It's okay.

Those words whispered around his skull, trying to find a hold on his mind, but Kade didn't make it easy. He'd been through too much, had done too much to simply be reassured by those two words, no matter how heartfelt, gentle or sincere they were. She had not seen him. She'd not witnessed the savagery he was truly capable of. She wasn't in his mind, reveling in the blood and the screams and the gore, in the horror he himself created. She wasn't waking up after the carnage was over with and the animals nature slept, sated, to find that some part of himself, of his HUMAN self, had liked giving in. She didn't wake to find that more of herself had been chipped away in the frenzy, that she was less human than she'd been before.

She wasn't slowly losing her mind, her sanity to something she couldn't escape.

And he was glad she wasn't. Kade was glad she had that innocence. He didn't doubt her life had been difficult. He didn't doubt that she had her own crappy horror stories to tell, that she was stronger, more resilient than she seemed. He didn't doubt it for a second. He wouldn't be surprised if she told him that she'd killed someone or had done something truly despicable by the rules they used to live in when the world made more sense. He wouldn't doubt it, wouldn't condemn her for it.

But he was glad she'd never experienced this. That she DIDN'T understand. No one should have to understand this.

So he nodded to her. He pretended to accept her words, act like they comforted him when all he could feel was a desperate panic rising inside him, a frantic need to find something, anything that would let him hang on to his intelligence, to his mind. It was like clawing at completely smooth walls down at the bottom of a well, knowing any moment the sky was going to start raining blood and you were going to slowly drown in it because you couldn't swim.

Silver eyes opened again, his pupils more slit then before and Kade searched the woman's face for a moment, his teeth grit before he forced himself to take a shuddering breath and speak. He could hold it off a bit longer. He knew he could.

"Wh-what is your f-full name? What was y-your father's?" He knew nothing about her beside the fact that she was crazy enough to stay with him. If he was going to kill her, he might as well have a true and good reason to remember the evil he'd committed by doing so. He had damn well better know her full name at the very least.

Last edited:
She wished she could do something for him, something to ease the agony of the quarrel within himself. Anything but she couldn't think of a single thing that would be useful.

Eyes of multi color watched him instead, debating his and her actions only to widen her gaze when a sort of strained question came out of him. A blink to him and the human girl of a shorter stature grinned refusing to let her fear take root in her body. She could be strong, she would be.

"Ducard. Kyrie Anna Ducard." a smooth of her hand to her own cheek, she chuckled at the question. In the face of death, that was not one of the questions she ever thought would be asked. "My dad's name was Mason." she'd humor him, answer what she could with her gentle ease.

She had a nice name.

It was the first thought that came to mind and the hybrid nodded to her words, reaching up to hold his head for a moment, the pressure there, within his chest, feeling like it was building in his blood growing worse as the sky grew dark. He would know, feel when the very edges of the moon become visible on the horizon. It was close, but not here yet. He forced himself to release his skull after a moment with a deep breath and then another, letting the air out shakily.

"I'm Kade An...Al...Av...no, that's not right..." He frowned, silver eyes flickering, searching for the name he'd held his whole life and suddenly it seemed to elude him. Had it been missing for a while? When was the last time he'd said his full name? He couldn't remember it. Oh hells, what was his last name? Wilson? Watson? Wallace? Willard? Will...no, no, Will, that was right...Will...iams...Williams. He was Williams. Kade A-something Williams. So was it Andy? Alexander? Avery? Andrew? Crap.

Oh, screw it. He'd just stick with the last name.

"I'm Kade Williams."

All that thinking had made his head pound and Kade growled, his fist clenching again, the pain centering him once more. It wouldn't last long, though and he sought more distraction. His slit eyes came back to the mismatched ones that some part of him could admit were completely fascinating. "Where were you when....when all this happened? The Blackout?"

Last edited:
Why did it actually hurt to see him struggling so terribly? Was it because she wanted nothing more than to take it from him, release it to the sky and say good riddance? Was it due to his kindness that Kyrie felt a bit of responsibility to help him, want nothing more to prove to himself that she thought of him as only a wonderful being. Was it everything or was it more.

She was tempted to card her fingers through his hair, hushing the ache and resistance away and try to present a soothing comfort that she knew many times she wished for in her own life. But she couldn't. As much as she wanted too, she couldn't. It wasn't enough to do so.

Kyrie smiled still gently as if she was complimenting him with her simple acceptance that while she knew he would probably kill her, not hating him for it- that she was happy to know he was willing to tell her his surname too.
But it was only brief watching him contort back to into that riled fight of himself. She watched him so softly, so gently she might have been a patient saint at one point in her life. Then came another question.
Where was she?

A thought puckered to her brow before she grinned with nostalgia echoing upon her brow. "I was out in the garden my mother started, picking fresh radishes from the ground. The soft sound of the sprinkler out in the yard watering the shrubs that lined our paved driveway..." she looked up but her gaze was far away, "The peach orchard was coming in nice that year, I could hear the old man who my father paid to tend to the trees talking joyfully as he was expecting his first grandchild... I remember... being happy. Content and knowing that no matter how much everyone around me, how they treated me like I was tainted from the devil himself... it was serene and peaceful. A place where I was welcomed." Kyrie laughed softly keeping her gaze away, "I loved our home... my place where I could just hide."

(ooc: ARG! they keep changing the text box)

(( Sorry!! ))

He found himself trying to picture what she described, to imagine it and the fact that it wasn't his own memory...seemed to help. He could almost see what she'd told him, his eyes having closed and his body relaxed just a little, breathing growing less ragged as the scene came to him. It was strange that mere words could have such an effect, but this was the woman who'd brought him back from his animalistic nature just with a touch.

Which had him wondering once more....how had she done that? He didn't understand what she'd done, what power she'd held. Could she do it again? Was there something about her that Changers didn't find appealing as food? Yes, he'd thought about eating her - well, the animal side had - but when given the opportunity, he hadn't even been able to harm her. And the Peculiars who had killed her caravan...had not gone for her, not at first. Had that been because she'd hidden first thing or was there another reason entirely? Did she stop him because something in his animal nature had not wanted to hurt her? Had it been something to do with him and not her at all?

He wished he knew.

Wait.

"What do you mean tainted?" That came out with a growl, but at this point it was hard to tell if that was because he was angry about the thought of someone thinking Kyrie evil or because all his words were more or less growled right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.