Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
sci fi, modern magical, horror
There was an idea:

To bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to. To fight the battles we never could."

This is a continuation of Rise of the Marvels...
CLOSED SIGNUPS - Rise Of The Marvels (IC Thread)

Our story thus far....

It has been a few scant weeks since Hydra attacked several landmarks around the world. Our heroes were involved in a secondary attack some time later on a fashion show in New York city, then that same night a massive gang attack on a policeman at the port of New York. They have faced off against the most dangerous Mutant terrorist known, Magneto. On the eve of a scheduled move to a new base, there was a new attack, something more devious. A scent released into the ventilation system caused one member to attack her team mates, and another to have been revealed as a shape changer.

Our team has moved now, into a new base. Old abandoned camp Lehigh in New Jersey.

latest

There have been changes since our team first started. Personnel have come and gone. There has been a week and a half since the move into the new base.

Our heroes

Captain America
Fandral of Asgard
Jessica Jones
Wanda Maximoff

Maya Lopez
Lincoln Campbell Medical officer
Jubilation Lee
Sarah Rushman aka Marrow
Frank Castle aka Punisher
Hank McCoy aka Beast
Phil Coulson

Posting Order

GM
Captain America / Lincoln Campbell
Punisher
Jessica Jones / Jubilee
Fandral / Wanda

Marrow
Maya Lopez
Beast
Phil Coulson

to be announced

Last edited:
Reactions: MST3K 4ever
"So, you always had a death wish or was that something you picked up recently as a hobby?"

The voice was jarringly loud in the long quiet between fire exchanges in the submarine hull.

As I had expected, the forces here weren't gathered for an assault. The flash and bang commotion seems to have been trying to cover for secretives to make it out into the mainstream, subverting our efforts. Typical Hydra operation. Two heads are better than one.

Keeping my attention on the kill zone, "I was calculating responses, and this one seemed right for their level of activity. Besides, I was never worried about my back. You were here."

We quickly dispatch the rest of the operatives and search them for potential information.

After the party, I turn around and give a long look, "Besides, a wiser person than me once said; "So, what are we waiting for? If you find a snake nest you don't just let it sit around..."

Couldn't agree more.

Time to head back out and see what's going on topside.

Reactions: Cork and Gands
jessica-jones-banner-png.157751

"Good to know someone counts on me. Leave one alive. Someone who looks like he might have the keys to the liquor cabinet." I comment, and as we're heading out of the sub after our excursion, I make another snarky comment. "You know, I'm not the one who's bulletproof. That'd be my ex-boyfriend."

As we head out of the sub, I'm dragging the guy who had keycards attached to his belt - after I pocket them of course. He's out cold, and may require a little medical attention before he can be interrogated, but at least he's alive.

jubilee-banner-jpg.157752

As soon as Jubilee saw the missiles, she was formulating a way to get up onto the sub so she could toss fireworks high to act as chaff... And then the adults took care of business. She cursed, and kicked a random goon who was already out. Then she saw Wanda falling. Fat lot of good she could do for that. Her eyes widened until she saw the woman fly towards her.

She was so frustrated right now at not seeming useful at all - she could hear the ribbing already, she'd gotten enough of it as she was training, about having a useless power and being a cinnamon roll, she let out an audible growl. But still SHIELD training, she went over to Susan's side and started a triage on her. Assess the problem and try to remedy with first aid, she had a basic kit on her belt.

@Gands @davewski @Sonevar @Drixe @LuckycoolHawk9 @BrokenWings @Cork

Fandral of Asgard

The Asgardian is still searching within the sub for a self destruct when he hears the explosion way above. He finds himself following Punisher and Jessica out of the Sub. He finds himself thinking this day a grand failure and is a bit dejected as he emerges. His head turns up and he points at Wanda's falling body.

@BrokenWings

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Cork and Michale CS
The explosion forced Sarah to shield her eyes. As the bright flash died down, she noticed Wanda's body plummeting below the missile's debris. Even at the distance Sarah was from Wanda, she could tell this wasn't a fall-for-fun-and-recover-at-the-last-second kinda fall. Ditching her scythe, she ran down the beach, trying to guesstimate Wanda's trajectory. She saw one of the mermaids start to rise from the water and into the air, clearly trying to intercept Wanda's free-fall. Once she arrived at what she thought was Wanda's hopefully-not-final destination, she got to work. She stuck her hands out and thin, almost noodle-like bone started ejecting from her palms. Unlike the bone she had been firing off before, this bone was covered in a thin, milky white material

"Spongy..." A structure started to rise from the ground, looking like a cross between scaffolding and a bee-hive, "...like a honey comb..," Sarah was trying to emulate cancellous bone, bone that helps the body absorb shock. Taller than it was wide, the speed at which she created it gave it a very haphazard look. She hoped bird-fish-lady would reach Wanda in time, but if she didn't, she (again) hoped that her impromptu cushion would catch Wanda, without any significant damage.

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: Cork and Michale CS
Hank moved rather than thought, using animal instinct more than physics to get to Wanda. He jumped to the back of the sub, then sprinted up its length, somersaulted onto the conning tower, and bounded skyward with all of his might. Namor’s teen assistant may not fly fast enough to help directly, but she made a fine springboard. “Pardon, miss”, the Beast said as his claws gripped her shoulders. He just had time to see her frightened face. He thrust himself higher, pushing her partway to the ground.

At last he reached the flailing, limp form of Wanda. Hank grabbed her legs; she was going 80+ MPH. His arms took most of the shock. He pulled her in and looked down. “Now the tricky part of air travel: Landing”, he thought. He saw the cushion structure Marrow put up. Stretching his belt, Hank strapped Wanda to him and extended his arms like wings. He’d done his share of skydiving in past adventures, but much preferred vehicles.

As he fell, the flying mer-girl helped one last time: “Pardon again”, Beast apologized as he grabbed her shoulders for a few seconds to slow their fall some. “AAAH!” she yelled as the ground loomed quickly. She struggled to get loose. Hank let go while she still had room to stop herself. He swung towards the cushion.

Beast flicked open the belt and cradled Wanda tightly in his arms. He bent his knees and landed feet first. Slowing mid-flight helped, the cushion helped, landing in sand helped… even so, his sinews popped as he let out a roar of pain. “At least I heal fast”, he thought as he rolled onto his back, Wanda on his chest. He took a deep breath and looked at the sky.

Some help here!” he called out.

Last edited:
Agent coulson leans in and taps the duct teaped hydra agent with his his cyberhand useing it's built in taser to knock him deeply unconcious. he then gestures for some other agents to move him away to a cell. Heading toward the sub now he joins in with some other agents getting things back in order.

As Dr. McCoy makes his fantastic leap, catching Wanda and bringing her to safety, Cap is talking quietly to Agent Melinda May to put up the Shield Stealth effect, to start covering the presence of the beached submarine. Another group of agents, the tech team starts entering the submarine after the stealth shield is up. Namor of Atlantis spends some time talking to Cap, then to Susan Storm before leaving.

" My people will be there if you need us Steven Rogers "

Medical officer Lincoln is tending to badly injured shield agents while Fandral calls Jones and Echo over after he untangles Wanda from McCoy.

" Perhaps you two can gently take her and I"ll get Dr McCoy into the medical wing. "

With that, Fandral carefully picks up the big blue X-man and heads back to the base.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @BrokenWings @Cork @davewski @Michale CS @Drixe @Sonevar

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Michale CS and Cork
I nodded. This was sort of a clusterfuck, because of the missiles and everyone throwing themselves on the proverbial grenades. "Holy fuck, it's like you all are taking the meaning of SHIELD literally. You don't have to body block all the hits you know..." Still, I took Wanda carefully and started to take her back to her room when I was interrupted...

"Take her to my room. I have medical training and, I don't have time to explain it, but Wanda likes it when I'm nearby. Says cause she can't read me unless she's specifically looking for me it keeps the jumble of thoughts out of her head or something. Wanda's got enough of her own problems right now, she doesn't need to hear all of yours, just sayin'."

@BrokenWings @Cork @davewski @Drixe @Gands @LuckycoolHawk9 @Sonevar

Reactions: Gands and Cork
"Thanks, Fandral", said Hank McCoy as he took Frandral's hand, "just sprained muscles, need help uuuuup..." Fandral pulled Hank aloft and walked off with him, "Faster to carry you than help you limp, McCoy." Hank, chagrined, settled in for the ride. "Thanks Fandral".

Once ensconced in a cot in the medical center, Hank asked to speak to Agent Melinda May, whom he met briefly at the team meeting. When she stopped by, after pleasantries, he asked where he'll be staying, and for a desk in one of their labs. "I should be back on my feet in a few hours, but I left my gear in the conference room when we were called away. It has a field lab & personal items. Could someone take it to my room? It's a heavy, very large backpack. Also, I'll need some place to land my craft, it's a bit shorter than a school bus." He then told her about Mendellia. "If you have a small isolated hangar or garage, that would be great. She's trained but not used to strangers much yet. I'll introduce you. She'll graze in the ocean nearby, so she won't be here all of the time. Training her is an ongoing part-time responsibilty. I'll summon her when you've a place ready."

"Have you heard how Wanda is doing?"

@BrokenWings @davewski @Drixe @Gands @LuckycoolHawk9 @Sonevar @Michale CS

Last edited:
Reactions: Gands
With one hand, Sarah retrieves a pill bottle from one of her pockets, opens it, then shakes a few into the air. Before they can land in her mouth, she recaps and pockets the pill bottle. She then moves to help any wounded SHIELD agents to the medical bay.

So, the "Red, White, and Blue Squad" does their thing. Everyone is happy. Agents celebrate. Colors fly...and people slap hands. Everything, of course, needs to end 'Happily ever After' for the masses.

Meanwhile, what is next? I look at the fallen enemies at the secret exit. No colors here, no celebrations. Hydra certainly isn't ignorant of the results. Is this truly a defeat, or something more?" They'll come through the sewers, through the underground. Two heads are better than one.

I search among the remains. In a way, I feel sad for the fallen. In their own way, they died for what they believed. "Honor amongst thieves". I wouldn't have it any other way.

NOW is the time to strike, to take the offensive, to drive them screaming before us. To have them tell their allies that S.H.I.E.L.D. is to be reckoned with. The government is weak, political correctness run rampant.

Maybe it's time to act on our own...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Ah Seen It
Reactions: Michale CS and Cork
Echo, moving silently and slightly even upon the sand tries to be of aid. As always feeling superfluous, she takes up Wanda gently to bear her to whatever location Jubilee directs, and additionally departs so as to lessen the mental noise that was supposed.

Captain America and Lincoln Campbell

As Cap talked with May, he couldn't help but have this nagging feeling that something wasn't adding up here. HYDRA coming back was no surprise to him, but the fact that they had a base not too far off the base and a sub with powerful HYDRA agents that could match his own, he had to wonder how much Ward had given them before being caught. He didn't dare to voice any of these concerns a loud, instead opting to help however he could with his team.

Lincoln helped to tend to the shield agents. "If I get a chance, I'll join you to check on Wanda," he said ,looking over at the team, hoping they heard him.

@Gands @Michale CS @davewski @BrokenWings @Sonevar @Drixe

Reactions: Gands
Agents scramble on the beach to set up stealth shielding to prevent curious eyes, and cameras from gaining intel on the situation. Other agents are swarming the interior of the sub to glean more of their own intel. Nearby, a gentle goodbye between Susan Storm and Namor of Atlantis. Only the young blonde waits until he is ready to leave. After that, Susan goes into the Sub with the tech people.

Others are helping wounded agents into the base. Hydra agents, those that survived, are moved to a medical section within a prison wing with a number of shield people and a couple of junior med techs. You should assume the Hydra people are thoroughly inspected prior to incarceration. The one surviving meta human is restrained with ceramic technical bracelets and ankle restraints that seem to glow. He is taken away, carried by a half a dozen extra agents.

Fandral walking with Dr. McCoy, near Jubilee, Jones and Echo asks politely...

" Ladies, perhaps you could briefly take Wanda into the medical wing so that Dr. McCoy can give her the once over before you take her for some much needed rest. If that's okay with you three ? Dr. McCoy if you could translate into sign language for Echo ? "

Luckily for Hank's aching body, Lincoln, manages to pop in to check on Wanda. Her condition seems to be a combination of severe exhaustion, first degree burns on exposed skin and a couple of pieces of rocket shrapnel that penetrated her outfit. Turns out the shrapnel are removed easily and within an hour she can be moved to Jubilee's room.

Fandral doesn't stay long, but before he goes he suggests to Jubilee that she take turns watching Wanda with Echo and Jones as it may be a couple of days. Wanda's armor is removed and she is placed into a lightweight gown before being taken to Jubilee's apartment.

Fandral of course returns to his kitchen to prepare the next big meal.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @Drixe @Sonevar @BrokenWings @davewski @Cork

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Michale CS

Jubilee was fine with hanging with her fellow sparkler while he examined Wanda before she got carted off to Jubes' room. She'd actually become... pretty concerned for Wanda in a sisterly sort of way. There was a lot of un-learning for Jubilee to do between her delinquent youth, her SHIELD training and now this special team. But anything that would ingratiate her to the others is what she wanted. She wanted to belong more than anything else.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Gands

jessica-jones-banner-png.157751

"So, if you told me last year that I'd be walking with a borderline sociopathic marine into a HYDRA submarine, I'd tell you there's no way I'd ever get that drunk. But that's what I did today. What the fuck am I doing here? Last year I was taking pictures of cheating husbands, now I'm punching goons like I'm in one of those goddamned propaganda comic books they used to put out." I sat on the counter not far from where Fandral was working, wearing a long t-shirt, sweat shorts, sandals, and that's it.

"My dear one, a quote from Casablanca... How would you feel about the German army invading New York" Fandral replied. "You can sit back now if you like. They are coming these Nazi's, whether you wish to interfere with them or not. "

"It's always something... some asshole or group of assholes who can't leave well enough alone. Is that too much? To just leave our shit alone? Fuck..." I hopped off of the counter and went to the fridge, opening it to find a bottle of water. "You know I'd fucking kill for some vodka right now but I'm trying to clean my system out. Why, I don't know. I have been doing just fine - well not, fine fine, but well enough. Then some suit hires me for some dumbass job and the next thing I know I'm practically a fucking SHIELD agent."

Perhaps you should say " He moves close behind me, a strong hand under the t-shirt grabbing my ass. " You are practically fucking a SHIELD Agent My you are a horrible influence on my nice clean English ! "

I laughed. "Dork." I turned around and grabbed his butt in return with one hand, then took a deep drink of the water from the bottle. "So, I cuss. Doesn't mean you have to. I don't think I ever cussed when I was playing hero initially, as Jewel. Man I was so damned naive."

" If we made love, you would not be so grumpy. By the way, you have a nice firm round little behind. As for naive.. you have traveled too far the opposite direction. That being said, what bothers me, is how HYDRA has a base so close to New York without anyone knowing it. Especially SHIELD!"

I shook my head, then tapped Fandral on his forehead. "What part of I want to take this slower like a normal person do you not understand? It's not like I dont want to fuck you right now, it's that I want this to be different than everything else that happened since Kilgrave screwed my mind up." I looked intensely into his eyes. "I want this to work not be based just on the sex. Every encounter with a guy I've had since Kilgrave has gone the same way. I see him, we talk a little, we fuck, then I'm in the bathroom throwing up because of how twisted inside I get remembering all the garbage. It's like that psychological bullshit Trish was trying to sell me on. I'm retraining myself. I'm trying to condition myself to realize that not every man is like Kilgrave on some level."

I stepped back a step and finished the water, tossing the bottle into a nearby trash can. "Besides, it's not like you're getting any older." I sighed. "I don't have a timeline for this, I'm just trying to take it a little at a time so I can reprogram myself... maybe... maybe I need some outside help." My voice may have been barely above a whisper at the last part.

" As you wish my dear one, I am in this your obedient if reluctant servant. I know from the beginning courting you would not be a hike in the park. I will continue to lovingly touch you without intercourse until you tell me you are ready. Perhaps, that is why I allow myself to be patient. To allow you some healing. Perhaps there are others here who you can talk to. " He approaches and pulls me into a hug, smelling my hair as I'm tucked into the side of his neck.

I let myself be pulled in and closed my eyes, and goddamnit, I instantly relaxed. "Wanda, once she gets her shit back together and heals up. Sue, maybe, but she and I haven't said ten words to each other since I arrived and I don't think she likes me very much if at all. Not that I blame her, I don't exactly exude a welcoming attitude."

" Susan was the first Midgard Meta Human I met. She seems the type my love to enjoy the company of machines or men. Like yourself, it may take some work for you to get past the gate guard there. They say, young Wanda is trained to heal ? That may be the easier path. There are others here worthy of friendship when you feel more yourself. Starting with Frank Castiglione would not be my first choice. "

I snorted. "Frank's the only motherfucker here more messed up in the head than I am." "In any event Wanda has to heal before I bug her about helping me...." I paused. "So... I'm fucking bored. I can help you make dinner. Maybe I'll even learn how to cook one of these days."

He stopped as I talked, still in his arms, both hands on my ass, gently picking me up to give me a long, loving and relaxing kiss. This was not a sexual kiss but one based in care and love. " Some day, you may yet learn even more... That cooking can be very relaxing once learned. . . Have I told you yet today my grumpy flower that you are beautiful ? "

"Yeah, when I woke up and looked like crap. You're full of it, Fandral, but I'll take it." I settled into a companionable silence, not my usual broody silence, which strangely, Fandral was starting to figure out the difference between, while we prepared the meal, me taking clues from him on what to do.

@BrokenWings @Sonevar @Drixe @davewski @Cork

Last edited:
Agent Coulson lets the shield agents on the beach finish up, and heads inside to get his office in order. Walking through the halls of the base he hums an old folk song. Waving his hand at the security doors they open before him, while a bit in thought at the moment he is sble to whats going on around him. Eventually he gets to his office and starts to unpack his belongings and set them up. Looking at the odd rack of charging cyberhands on the wall he detaches the one on him to recharge. Taking a more basic model to replace it and attaching it to the stump on his arm. Going back to the bix of his thing's he unpacks a few bottles of bourbon and fills his "hidden bar globe" with the bourbon, glasses, ect.

Lincoln Campbell

After Lincoln checked on a small amount of SHIELD agents, he would pop in to check on Wanda and see how she was doing. Wanda had been stupidly dangerous with using her powers and looking at the wounds she had taken rocket shrapnel as well as getting burned. He carefully removed the shrapnel before he would move her to Jubilee's room with her.

Lincoln would be the one to carry her and it took a while, but he would finally settle her down into the bed in Jubilee's room. " First thing is first, that was very reckless of you, Wanda. I think you are going to need a few days of bed rest before you can get up and moving and I'll check on you and get you some food that Fandral made. You are going to be spending a little while in this room. Jubilee, please make sure that she doesn't try to get up as it's going to take a few days to heal and I don't want the stitching to spot. I'll go and tell Cap that you are going to be out of commission for a bit."

@Michale CS @Gands

Captain America

Cap had locked himself up in his room, going over notes and running through all of the different situations in his head. Could there be another mole after Ward he had missed? Someone else who had been mind controlled? Was that possible? He also start to detail all of the different things. Had HYDRA expected Namor to bring the sub here so that he they knew the base was here? The more he wrote, the more it was noticeable how frustrated he was getting.

He didn't come down to get dinner, locking himself in his room, puzzling the situation from all angles. He also didn't get up to shave. God, he should do that soon before someone commented on the stress he was experiencing.

@Gands

Now that the commotion has died down people have retired from their actions. It seems that there is somewhat of a lack of determination what to do next. The others seem to be waiting around, looking for someone else to help them decide what to do.

I know what to do and what the price may be. The cost that is required, and the hardness to go on. I have my own intentions, but I understand that not everyone shares the same level of commitment.

The others need a leader. The Captain America I have seen here seems changed. Little signs from when we worked together in the past. Maybe I'm getting soft. Shouldn't the others find their own way?

I pen a small note and walk over to the doors of Cap's apartment. After making sure no one, or no camera or sensor is aware, I stuff it concealed into a crack of the doorframe, waiting to be seen when the door is opened.

"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

You are that warrior. No one else can find the way. No roads are without cost, but the truth of your convictions will leave no guilt. Find the way and we will be with you.

I don't sign it. I walk away and go find some agents to further bruise in their training.

Last edited by a moderator: