2. Beginner
  3. Elementary
  4. Intermediate
  5. Adept
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy, magic, adventure, comedy, anime, slice of life, high school, fandom, romance, but I am always open to many others.
It was the early afternoon and Vera was already busy at work. She worked at a bakery/coffee shop that sold coffee and all kinds of baked goods. It was a small, quiet little bakery and didn't always get many customers but it got enough to keep afloat and usually regular customers as well. Though, even if there weren't many customers Vera still was busy with something. She would help make more goods, or clean something up considering they didn't have very many employees.

It was actually her friends bakery, and some specific circumstances left the woman with the need for a job that wasn't too needy on time. She needed something that could work around her schedule, and since her friend owned it, that friend knew what Vera's life was like and all the time she needed off. She wasn't well off though, and sometimes it was hard to pay the bills, but she tried her best to get enough money to live.

It was a nice day. The sun was shining and the spring warmth was just starting to come about. It was says like these that Vera enjoyed the most, though she wasn't very fond that she had to be working during them. No, she would rather be playing with a certain little boy she loved very much. But, she needed to make a living. While the bakery wasn't crowded at the time, there were a few customers sitting, enjoying a coffee or baked good while Vera went about cleaning some of the tables.

Robert Sanderson, heir to S.P.E.C., the international independent security conglomerate, walked down the street tiredly. He had been up late looking over some reports from Asia Minor. The Kurds and Turks were fighting again. S.P.E.C. men were trying to keep company assets safe with marginal success. They would need to send in more armored support, maybe some air support too... He rubbed his face, mumbling about explosives and annoying religious beliefs. Why couldn't they keep their fights kept to the mountains....

That was when delicious smell of raspberry bread hit him and his stomach rumbled and groaned. Robert stopped in tracks, nearly dropping his suitcase. He had walked by here many times, the smells never stopping him before... but now, now he was craving that raspberry bread. Licking his lips he took a right turn into the shop. He probably looked as ragged as he felt. A five'o'clock shadow of dark blond, the same color as his bedraggled hair. His suit rumpled and his red tie skewed. The dark bags under his He had left his ID in his pocket, something he did when he went on his morning walk to work. That way people didn't gawk at him all that often.

Still muttering to himself about financial gains he made his way to the woman at the cashier. "Ammo belt crate cost... Oh..uh. Good morning." Looking up at the menu he glanced by down. "A plate of raspberry bread, grape jelly and some black coffee. If you would... uhh.. " He glanced at her nametag, "Vera." He gives a small, tired, smile. Pretty woman, looked about as tired as he did, but with a better air about it.

"Of course," Vera replied with a smile in return. She pulled a plate of the raspberry bread from behind the counter, grabbed some grape jelly for him to be able to spread as much as he wanted onto either of the pieces, then began to fill up a cup of black coffee. Once she was finished she returned to the front counter and placed it in front of him.

"Raspberry bread with grape jelly and a cup of black coffee," she muttered as she also told him the price. Her long brown hair was pulled up into a ponytail, but a few shorter locks had fallen out and were curled, framing her face. She took the money from him, and placed the money into the cash register, giving him any change in return if needed.

"Feel free to take a seat anywhere," she added with another friendly smile. "I hope you enjoy the bread. It's my first batch I've ever made by myself." Her apron had a few marks of flour still clinging on to prove her work. "And don't be afraid to ask for anything more."

Vera couldn't help but notice that the man seemed a bit tired. She hoped that the coffee would help him feel a bit better. She knew tired very well, and it wasn't a fun feeling to have, especially when the say wasn't even over yet. He also seemed to have a lot on his mind considering the way he first approached her, discussing things to himself that she didn't even understand at all.

"Thank you, Vera." Robert said with another smile. He took a seat near-ish to the counter to minimize his tired walk to her. He ate the food, pleased by its quality. He hadn't had much in the way of handmade pastries and breads, but this place was promising to expand his experience. Letting out a pleased sigh he took a long gulp of the coffee, not caring about the scalding heat. It was waking him up for sure. Nibbling on the the fruit-infused bread he lets himself space out, watching the counter, and Ms. Vera, as his mind went to work. Moving squads from their base in Saudi Arabia to Isreal, equipping them with heavier munitions... border tensions were getting worse and war... well war was good for business.

Half an hour later he woke from mental planning, cup empty, plate cleaned and a want for more. Stretching and feeling much more awake he walked over to counter. "Now that I'm more awake, Ms. Vera," His smile is less tired now, showing more straight and white teeth. "I've never had such... delicious food before. What would you suggest for a second course?" He pauses then holds out his hand. "Robert Sanderson, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He had the instinct to hand over his business card, his hand even going to where his card holder was. As the heir, he had very little need to be at the company. His job was mostly show, to keep him in his father and mothers sights to be groomed.

Vera went back to wiping down the counter as the man went to sit down nearby. She glanced over at him, curious if he was enjoying the bread she had made though caught the sight of him staring at her. She wasn't completely unknown to staring. She wasn't bad looking and had a nice body, so sometimes some men did stare, but it was still strange. Especially with how long he seemed to be staring at her.

Some time went on with his eyes still on her, a light blush came over her cheeks. Although, she was trying to remind herself that he was most likely thinking about something else, perhaps what he was mentioning to himself when he was trying to order. He finished what he had and suddenly got up to see her again.

"A second course?" Vera repeated, blushing again when he praised her food. "If you're interested in fruit, I would suggest the banana muffin. It helps with low energy too." She gave him another smile. She looked at him hand and took it, giving it a slight shake as he introduced himself. Perhaps they had just gotten another regular customer. "It's nice to meet you too Robert. I'm Vera...oh, well, I suppose you already know that but...Vera Clover."

She released his hand and turned around to grab a banana muffin. She placed it on another plate and handed it to Robert. "If you'd like," she said. "I really appreciate your comments. I'm so glad when a customer enjoys the baked goods I made. I'm always worried I'm not going to notice something and accidentally miss an ingredient."

Robert could only laugh, still smiling. "Well you can't be all that bad. My stomach demands more, and that's only happened twice before." Now that he was actually awake he took her body briefly. She had a good figure, nice hair and eyes, skin not unblemished but he never liked women with tons of makeup on. A slight matrony air to her as well, but some women just had that, children or not and he didn't see a ring on her hand... Shaking his head to snap out his thoughts he said, "Thank you Ms. Clover. At this rate I may never leave." He looked up at the menu again. "Another cup of black coffee as well, if you would, Ms. Clover."

Once he had gotten his drink and another piece of bread along with the muffin he sits at his table. Picking up his suitcase he opens it, taking out his small, sleek, laptop. Humming an old Hungarian war tune he turned it on, went to the unclassified files. He needed to finish up reading this report from last night. Something about a mock battle in Russia... hmmm the tanks needed retrofitting and their heavy gun emplacements repaired from a severe winter storm... did they learn nothing from Hitler and Napoleon... His laptop had the company logo, that of a Spartan shield, a Khopesh, a halberd, and guandao behind it with the initials of S.P.E.C. on the shield itself, well it would if the logo itself wasn't damaged from being used in a rather... involved training exercise. The S.P.E.C. was missing and half the guandao was scraped off along with all of the khopesh.

"You are welcome to stay as long as you like," Vera replied when he mentioned that he might not ever leave which made the woman smile. "Coming right up." She poured him another black coffee and handed it to him. She watched as he took a seat back down at the table and pulled out his laptop.

"We have free WiFi too," she added, addressing him specifically. She put the cleaning rag back into her hand and continued to clean the counter of any flour or crumbs that may have fallen off of the baked goods. She noticed the logo on his laptop but she was one to not understand any of those things, unaware what company he was working for. She just figured it was a company but even though, she just figured he was just some employee there.

Some time passed as Vera continued to clean, serve some customers and make some more baked goods to sell. Other customers came and went while Vera did her job. She was friendly to everyone, evidence that she worked well with people and working the counter.

Robert could only give a small nod and another smile as he didn't connect to the free WiFi. While there was nothing classified on this laptop he didn't want to take chances. He plugged in his headphones, opened his Spotify and began to listen to his music. He did watch the woman out the corner of his eye. The professional part of his mind went to her attitude. From his brief talking with her and her general way of talking she'd make one hell of a PR person or a secretary. A winning smile, a friendly sparkle to her eyes and soft voice that engendered trust... the less professional part of him focused on her hair and face. He couldn't help himself, his last foray into the pleasures of the flesh had ended... messily. Seeing the daughters of heads of state was always... tricky.

Soon enough he finished his food and his work and got up. Heading over to counter he grinned at Ms. Clover again. "I must be off. I'll be back tomorrow or the next day." He reached into his wallet and pulled out $50. "Keep the change. Think of it as a tip." Flashing a final grin and a nod he left. Awake, refreshed and some new eye candy for his future breakfasts he headed out and went to work. He wondered if this bakery did catering. He suspected a lot of people would love handmade bakery goods at the next employee outing....

"Come back anytime," Vera said just before he reached to take some money out of his wallet. She took a look at the bill given to her. "Wait! This is..." but he was already out of the shop. He had given her a $50. She thought he was mistaken and given her the wrong bill. Perhaps he meant to take out a $20 or a $10. This amount of money just seemed way too much to give someone who had just gave you a few baked goods and cups of coffee.

However, he was gone and there was nothing she could do about it. She figured she would just ask him about it the next day he arrived and give him back some money. For now she placed what was needed in the cash register and really did take the left as a tip for now. She could repay it back.

The say went on with Vera eventually finishing her shift of work. It was normal. Customers came and went. When her shift was over, she grabbed her things from the back and headed out of the shop. She started to walk in the direction of where her house was located.

Roberts day was relatively peaceful. His work, doing money calculating, filling out military orders and seeing what the latest intel was on various militant groups around the world. While working his thoughts occasional went to Ms. Clover. Not that it was distracting, but meeting such a pretty young woman so close to the department where he had stationed himself at. Hmm maybe he really would go back to tomorrow... hmmm what did she think of his little... tip.

At the end of the day, he left the department, getting the company Humvee to drive. He had gotten an earful by his bodyguards. He had left them at the apartment for his walk to work. He had promised to take one of them to it. The man would likely do his own... subtle interrogation of the woman. Well that is if he's nearly seven foot tall, three feet wide Eurasian body didn't scare her off.... He;d deal with that if it came up. For now he needed to sleep and look forward to eating some great bread.

Vera's day went like her usual day did after she arrived home. It was a busy, though fun filled day. As the day went on she began to feel more tired. Once the night came, and she got a certain little boy to sleep, Vera decided to take a short bath. While she was lying in the bubbles, Robert started to pop into her head. Mostly, it was because of the money he had given her. She had met many people while on that job, so there were other handsome men, but he was standing out a bit more. She wondered if he would come to the bakery in the morning.

She finished off her bath and got ready for bed. She got into bed and closed her eyes, after setting alarm to get up early in the morning to get her day started. She drifted off to sleep very easily, as she was very tired, and stayed asleep the whole night.

Morning came with her alarm sounding off. She got up, got herself and her little boy ready for the day, then waited for the babysitter to arrived. After the babysitter was there, Vera grabbed her purse and left the house. She walked to the bakery and put on her apron. She started to work on the baked goods and then after some were make, opened up for business.

The next morning Robert woke up feeling surprisingly refreshed. He had finished his reports and read the various dossiers. After his shower he left his penthouse apartment. One of his bodyguards coming with him in his 'undercover' car. An older model car with the engine of the latest police interceptor in it. No one would look twice at it... unless he needed to book it fast from somewhere.

With a sigh he moved down the roads, eventually pulling over next to the bakery. "Now Manchester, don't scare away the girl. She's no threat. If anything..." He grinned wolfishly at the bodyguard. "She's a my next prize. Not a chance of an international incident. No need for shallow graves in a swamp. At most she'll get a sizable sum to forget about me. When the time comes." The large Eurasian man merely grunted, following Robert as he got out and having to duck under the door to avoid smacking his forehead when he entered after his charge.

Robert himself walked up to the counter where Ms. Clover stood, smiling wide. He wore a much nicer suit that wasn't rumpled and his hair was combed straight back. "Good morning Ms. Clover. I'll take what I had yesterday. My friend here would like a chocolate chip muffin and a large glass of orange juice." Manchester grunted, looking down at the woman with disapproving dark brown eyes.

"Good morning Robert. It's so great to see you again," Vera said when he arrived in the bakery and headed for the counter she was at. She nodded as she listened to what he wanted and what his friend would want. She then grabbed what he had yesterday from the back of the counter, then filled up a cup of black coffee for Robert. She then grapped a chocolate chip muffin and poured a glass of orange juice for the friend.

"Here you go," she commented with her usual smile and placed the items onto the counter so they could take it at their own pace to the table wherever they wanted to sit. "Enjoy!" Vera didn't seem to notice the watching eyes on her from Roberts friend and definitely not anything involving disapproving her. She wouldn't even understand that in the first place.

With Robert and his friend served, Vera went back to doing a few other things she needed to do. She walked away from the counter to the table area and started to clean some of them off. There was also an elderly man who was sitting at one of them, where Vera filled up his drink without having for him to get up. He looked like he had trouble walking considering the walker he had to the side of him. Vera gave him a smile as they chatted about some things.

Robert raised his eyebrow at his bodyguard. "She isn't an extremist, you know." His guest was as impassive as a glacier. And just as warm. He happily dug into the food, smiling as he watched the young woman. The large man let out a sigh and began to eat his own food. "Sir, domestic.... interests are just as risky as international ones. Looking into them is easier but harder to sever ties with." Robert feined hurt. "Manchester what are you implying?" The large man merely stared. "Fine... I'll try and make this one not so messy. Look into her all you like, but I get the feeling she's a good person... and no threat to anyone. Especially me, my family or the business."

He watches Vera talk. "Hmmm pretty face, local... unmarried? Good for PR." The guard grunts. "Fine, I'll ask for her... interest after your investigations." The large man finished his meal. "I wanr something for road... and to ask about their catering option." A raised eyebrow. "The staff would love this stuff and you know it. I've never seen you clear a plate so fast." The guard said nothing. Laughing Robert gets up, heading to hte counter. Time to see what this woman was really like...

Vera finished her short chat with the older gentleman and headed back towards the counter. While Robert was chatting with his friend, Vera went to the kitchen wear she stayed for a few minutes until she came back out with a new tray of baked goods. She started to place the goods into display cases by the counter.

Her eyes did linger over towards Robert a few times while she was busy. She liked seeing customers enjoy their food and it seemed that he and his friend it brought enjoyed what they were eating. She couldn't hear anything they were talking about though, despite not being very far away from them.

She was just about finished placing the items in the cases when Robert returned to the counter. She stopped what she was doing to place her attention on him instead. "I hope you two are enjoying your food," she commented to him with another smile. "Is there anything else you want?"