Revealing Gender Online

I have things I want to say about the argument concerning the Libertine section, but I'm going to stop myself and ask everyone else to do the same. It was off-topic when it was brought up, and the only reason the original comments were addressed by an Administrator was because they were inflammatory toward our member base. This thread is not about the Libertine section.
There are scammers, con artists, and creeps in real life as well and always have been. I would not say without statistics to back it up that there are more on the internet. The difference with scammers and creeps on the internet is that they get away with some things that they would have more difficulty doing offline. Is this a problem online? Absolutely. Is it inextricably linked to gender? No. Would it happen even if everyone kept their gender to themselves? Yes. Would it happen offline regardless? Yes. I can't even tell you how many times I've had someone try to phone scam me or get me to give them money in person on false pretenses. That's not even counting the creeps and assholes I've run into, irrelevant to my gender. The way to address this online- as offline- is to be SMART and learn to identify these kinds of scams and pitfalls. One way is to hide your gender and personal information, yes, but those steps may not be necessary and it is a personal choice.
And that's what is getting me here about your argument. You seem to be advocating that everyone choose to do the same thing you do, with no regard for their personal feelings and beliefs. You are saying that eliminating gender online will keep people from being judgmental... while making sweeping generalizations yourself about people who do. You are saying that gender shouldn't be important, while simultaneously arguing that it IS important, and then telling everyone who finds it important that they can't talk about it or that their motives are purely sexual/greedy.
I openly admit to being a guy on Iwaku. I also openly share other personal info here. I don't do this because it gets me special treatment or as a lie to keep myself from being harassed. I definitely don't do it because I'm looking for booty. I do it because I'm comfortable here. I know from firsthand experience on Staff and as a member that we take care of people here. Anyone doing any of the things you've mentioned- scamming, harassing girls, being sexually inappropriate and creepy- gets banned. Usually quite promptly. I like it here, and I feel secure being myself rather than a persona. I know many other people feel the same way. We've had trans members- to whom gender and social perception thereof is an INCREDIBLY important part of their lives- come out to the community here before coming out to their family. And that's awesome.
It's also true that sexuality and sex is important to some people. And what exactly is wrong with that? No, it's not important to everyone, but this is why honest discourse of "I would like to talk about sex and sexuality" or "I don't want to talk about sex or sexuality" is a good thing. This is why having areas where that content is allowed is a good thing, because it gives clear lines for people to follow about what is and isn't appropriate elsewhere. You can always, always ask someone not to bring up a certain subject to you- and if they harass you about it, they're in the wrong. But you can't seek out and discuss it with them and then blame them for the subject without being in the wrong too.
I don't think anyone here will disagree that if someone stops talking to you on account of refusing to disclose your gender, they're being an asshole. Although to be fair, I know some people are worried that it means you have something to hide. Generally though, that's not cool and is absolutely shady behavior.
You are misunderstanding.
Yes, there are generalizations, but they're extremely blanketed. If you have any doubt whatsoever, you should always default to keeping your information to yourself. This is what the original poster was struggling with; whether to, or to not, share this kind of information. That was my advice to them. If you can't decide, the answer is always no; I elaborated on why.
While it's a good thing to be yourself and share yourself with others you should do it without fear of consequence and one of the most water-tight ways to do this is keep a solid divide between internet life, and work/family. You don't need people to know your life story. Your identity isn't relevent to most people, it's just another name.
You have nothing to gain by sharing personal information on the internet with strangers, and of course, it is different with people you personally trust and have interactions with; If you feel comfortable in a community or with a specific person, that's great, but you still don't know who you're talking to, or if someone will come along and use that information you left laying around.

I never once implied for sex or discussion of it to be a bad thing. After all, it's how we're all here, having this discussion. Why would I demonize what is arguably the most human part of being human? I only said that I hate it when people co-opt conversations to make everything regard sex, or garner attention for themselves.

@Dioxyne

That is much clearer now. Thank you!

I actually would argue the point of having nothing to gain. I have gained a lot by sharing personal information with others online, including some of my best friends. I live with roommates who I met online. If you are careful about who you interact with and how you interact with them, it is no different from sharing personal information with people you meet offline.

I don't think that everyone cares about my life story. I know they don't. I also don't share my whole life story with people until I get to know them very well. But I am interested in getting to know some of them, and some of them are interested in getting to know me. If we share no personal information, we have no way of knowing whether we would want to know each other better. No, gender isn't vital to that, but as I said before: I don't care whether people know my gender, so I don't feel a need to conceal it. I don't consider my identity as male to be exclusive information.

Yes, people might come along and use information against me. Again, I feel like that is no different from offline. I say this as someone who has been stalked, even. I also think there's no way to know people offline won't end up hurting you, either. I've been betrayed and lied to by people in real life more than I have on the internet.

In the end, it boils down to your own personal comfort levels and how you choose to handle things.

I feel like people are too untrustworthy of the intenet, yes there are predictors, creeps and sometimes stalkers but how often do you run into them? It's all up to where you hang out for example teen chatboxes that aren't on forums are full of creeps but forums like these are some of the safest places. Now this is all based on what i've encountered and seen happen to others but in all my years of being on forums and surrounding myself with online friendships i've only come across two creeps and it was so easy to get rid of them.

People say that personal information is dangerous to pass around but theirs something so much more dangerous that not many people are aware of. Our Ip adresses give away our location and thats something that anybody with a bit of knowledge about how it works can get their hands on and yet so many of us worry about our gender, age and so on getting out into the wrong hands.

Lets not forget that people lie in real life lie as well and i'll be honest the longer you know someone the less you have to fear as nobody can keep up their lies forever and even if someone could it's not exactly that difficult to catch someone when their acting shady if you know what to look out for.

Reactions: ElBell and Astaroth
I post this in Dioxyne's blog post, but I will post it here too. o__o

@Dioxyne and @Shenorai
It looks like Iwaku is not a good community for you and your friend. I think you would enjoy going to RPNation. They will fit your preferences and personality a lot better and are a family friendly forum.

The things you both seem to have a problem with are not things that will be "fixed", and I'm sure you'll be a lot happier on a site that fits your needs, rather than trying to change a site that doesn't.

This thread, in summary.

3jRQ2fa.jpg

@Diana
Let me just point out that, nowhere here have I ever asked for change, I have simply stated that I disapprove of the name that has been given to the mature forums (an old sentiment here) and politely provided advice to the origional poster who requested it.
You have made a community that is public-access; you are going to see some feedback as people invariably develop an opinion of your forum. If your response to a simple opinion is a veiled "Don't like it, leave," I really don't know what to say, I'm honestly quite stunned.

Let me just point out that, nowhere here have I ever asked for change, I have simply stated that I disapprove of the name that has been given to the mature forums (an old sentiment here) and politely provided advice to the origional poster who requested it.
You have made a community that is public-access; you are going to see some feedback as people invariably develop an opinion of your forum. If your response to a simple opinion is a veiled "Don't like it, leave," I really don't know what to say, I'm honestly quite stunned.

Oh, we are HAPPY to take comments, criticisms and suggestions about how to improve the site. We do so every day and you can see how that works in the Help Desk.

Unfortunately, the problems you guys seem to have are things that reflect our core community here at Iwaku. :( You don't seem to like the people and the atmosphere here, and it reflects in the way you interact with people. I think RpNation will be much better for you! The people there are nice, and all of the things you don't seem to like about here are not a problem over there.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I believe Diana was replying to this blog entry, where you gave your opinion on how you thought several things across the forums should be. You mentioned this blog entry a few posts ago. If you are not asking for it to be changed, what is the point of feedback and criticism? If you don't want or expect it to be changed, it's just pointless noise.

We have an entire forum section devoted to feedback and we often make changes based on feedback; just check the Help Desk for proof of this. Diana was saying that the specific things you seem to object to are matters of personal taste, and that if this community does not suit your tastes that there are alternative sites which likely will!

There is no reason for you to constantly point out the fact that you are equipped with/prefer to interact with breasts, a vagina, a penis, or any combination of the three. The people who feel the need to constantly rub their equipment in your face are usually one of three things: Sexually deprived, whoring themselves out for attention, or they want to manipulate you by sexual means in order to get something they want. (ie; Gamergate) You're better than this and you know it. Stop it.
I do it for shits and giggles :D

• Love
Reactions: Drifter
I don't know if you could gather from first glance, but allow me to elaborate in greater detail. Apparently I need to share background.

I came to this community as part of a lesser migration from a forum that was bought out, then co-opted twice by corrupt staff. Where doesn't matter. I, myself, and ten other people vacated that premises to come to a new place. Not all of us made it here. A lot of what was said in there, was, in jest, directed to them. You know who some of them are, because in some cases, we're all the only people on each other's friends lists. You can see the ring if you play detective hard enough.

We had a serious problem with people being WAY too fucking sexual in the last place, I already expressed my annoyance here for those kind of people, and those kind of people don't seem to be on this website or else I would not be here. She would not have been here. I am old enough to determine whether or not a community might better serve my interests. I do not need encouragement to seek entertainment elsewhere if I am unhappy; it really looks like you're trying to punish dissident opinion when you say these things.

Since that post - allow me to remind you, this was months ago - I have changed my mind and given the other people another chance because I saw a large number of people that were promising that I had previously overlooked. This did not justify a blog post because I don't make it a major habit of mine to catalog all of my feelings without a greater purpose. I don't keep a diary, I certainly don't keep an e-diary on all the websites I visit.

That aside; if you feel that I was unjustified in tacking a bit of a rant on there because I got annoyed when I was helping direct the flow of multiple threads (so I could come in and play an antagonist to a couple of plots, which I proritized over other threads here on Iwaku I'd rather be doing) and they came to a screeching halt at many points in time because of a few key players that wouldn't keep up with what they commuted to, please, let me know how.

Sometimes you have to try multiple communities to find one that has a group of people that you can get along with and fit in with. :]

Reactions: Alexa Ray
After coming across many sites this would be my most favorite. ^__^ <3. (Sidenote: I should visit more often, constantly learning about this community) ♡♡ random...-cough-

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth
Scrolled through a few posts, thought I'd leave two cents.

The internet is an odd place to say the least. An odd enough place at that where one questions whether or not revealing, or better yet, knowing others genders is either safe or necessary. Though these are thoughts of mine with some odd subjective experience to go with it.

In the past, eight years give or take a month or so, I was involved in an online RP for one of the first times. I'd done some other characters elsewhere who were male and I decided I'd take a walk in a female characters shoes and see if I can mimic the train of thought of a woman whilst taking on this role. It was a revealing experience, in more ways than I care to admit. The RP forum was very small, maybe twelve or so active users at any given time. On weekends almost all twenty five members of the forum were online and we'd all be doing one single RP connected by numerous threads. So we had to read everyone post and keep our stories straight in the world. Well, I'd never disclosed my gender then or before then on sites (with the exception of a MySpace I'd barely even touched).

Well, after about a year with some of these people, I'd learned at one point they all were under the impression I was a female. I wasn't particularly shocked, as the primary character I controlled was a female and the only character I'd really put a massive effort into. It was then I became very aware of context clues in the way I was spoken with in OOC discussion, though I'd not picked up on it before. Things such as language in-particular, I was never responded to with vulgar language or obscene content otherwise, as I hardly posted anything of the such either. But when the others who I knew were male from their profile responded to each other in a different manner. The other thing that had come to my attention was attention. Though I'd always assumed that I received said attention because I was a moderator there and active daily.

Well, I noted I was male but didn't feel it was necessary to put in my profile. The attitude toward me changed drastically. My character in IC was even treated differently upon the realization it was a male playing a female character and I found this odd. Maybe it was my sheltered childhood or social ignorance at the time, but I really didn't understand. As experience goes, I have a better grasp as to why.

As noted in previous comments, "There are no girls on the internet." Though I know this not to be true, I can see what it symbolizes from a personal standpoint. Since then I've noted my gender on forums but have also played other female characters and in turn, there were times where I'd have some minor sexual advances on me from other males. Now I'm not sure if this was just horny teenagers I was playing with who either had sexual identity issues, truly homosexual or it was their "internet persona" of how they acted. What I do know, is that it was assumed that a male playing a female was apparently considered bisexual; but once again, this is all subjective experience and I can't speak for others.

But that's my (more than two cents) take on revealing your gender on the internet.