Retro Games

Dude, I love PE, It kinda sucks that so many people my age never heard of it. 2 was meh and "The 3rd Birthday"?... Let's pretend that never existed...

But all in all Sonic 3 & Knuckles has a cherished spot in my heart.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Dude, I love PE, It kinda sucks that so many people my age never heard of it. 2 was meh and "The 3rd Birthday"?... Let's pretend that never existed...
I fell ya on that.

I mean, they had such good gameplay in PE 1.

Why tank controls? Why tank controls? No one liked tank controls.

• Love
Reactions: LunaValentine
I wish I had a chance play boogerman today tbh. It looks like such a unique game yet for some reason it reminds me of mario. Boogers being the fireballs and the pipes being the toilets.

Gotta admit his ultimate move being a giant fart is quite hilarious

Mega Man was Mega annoying, mega.

He sounded like a Mega pokemon, mega.

Kid Icarus was also Mega annoying, icus.

And they didn't even use the Megaicus-ing correct name for him, icus.

That being said, I wanted to go to Videoland.

This, sirs and madams, is not how you Retro Game.

Gosh...so much memories...late night gaming with my bros at its finest

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
th

th

STARCRAFT

How did this thread get this long with ME posting in it without ONCE talking about Starcraft 1?

Probably because I've been watching too much competitive Starcraft 2.

At any rate, Starcraft 1 and its expansion, Brood War, are among Blizzard Entertainment's most beloved franchises. The sci-fi answer to Warcraft and Blizzard's answer to Command and Conquer, Starcraft puts the player in control of three races - the versatile Terrans, the fast, numerous, and fragile Zerg, and the slower, heavy hitting, and tough Protoss - as each race tries to carve out a piece of the galaxy for itself. The storyline of the main campaign follows the adventures of Hero characters through each race, utlimately allying Terrans and Protoss against the seemingly unstoppable insectoid aliens known as the Zerg, who are out to consume and assimilate all life in the galaxy in an attempt to create the perfect race.

Each race has a distinct play style, with different build requirements and resource management demands that become extremely evident in competitive play. The extra units from Brood War and constant patch changes for competitions ensured balance during high level tournament play, while keeping the metagame (that is, the ability of one player to anticipate the moves of another player by timing, build order, lack of certain structures/units, appearance of certain structures/units, and resource use) constantly in flux and in evolution.

Indeed, in watching competitive Starcraft 1 matches, it isn't the battles that is the most exciting moment.

Its watching how constant scouting changes players' entire strategies without a single bullet being fired.

The lack of a gas-extracting building could suggest that the enemy is preparing to quickly rush you because he is focusing his resources on building cheap units instead of going for the more gas-intensive builds.

The presence of a long-range unit or "spellcasting" type unit may suggest that the enemy is going into a tech-heavy build, meaning there is a potential opening for a quick attack if you are fast enough.

The presence of an extra base suggests the enemy is preparing for a longer game, meaning you may want to invest in tech-heavier builds to counter whatever advanced units he may have.

There is an elegance to Starcraft metagaming that, to me, began right here in Starcraft 1 and only evolved from there.

Reactions: Brovo
th

BATMAN

Based on the Tim Burton Batman movie, this was Sunsoft's answer to Ninja Gaiden in a licensed game format. You play the titular Dark Knight Detective as he chases down the Joker through various levels of Gotham City. Its a basic side scroller where you employ a variety of Bat-gadgetry and Batman's punching skill to defeta various mooks. You have the ability to jump from all to wall (similar to Ninja Gaiden), but can't cling to them. Like any side scroller with a vertical axis of movement, this adds an extra dimension to travel, dodging, and level design.

There really isn't much to say about the game as whole, as it is a fairly basic and short side scroller. The only big thing about it is the fact that it was one of the earliest Batman games, decades before the Arkham series.

It also had a very catchy First Level theme.

"Streets of Desolation."

@Razilin:

That is all.

Reactions: foodforpigs
th

SIMON THE SORCERER

A classic from the early 1990s DOS games, Simon the Sorcerer is the story of a teenager transported to a magical world as a wizard in a pointy hat who must use his logic and magic to get through what is basically a bunch of puzzles.

The game is of the point-and-click interface genre, much like Zork or Myst. Using your environment and inventory, you and Simon figure out the solution to various puzzles to advance in the game.

I remember Simon mainly for its voice acting and just how much of a rude douchebag the eponymous sorcerer was to everyone around him. He was sarcastic, clever, and a know it all with a caustic tongue. That stuck with me.

191738-masteroforion2.jpg

Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

Released in the DOS/WIN95 era and published by Microrprose, it is one of the foundation classics of the 4X strategy subgenre. You pick one of several races, or make your own custom version of any of them, and slowly advance up the tech tree, racing to gain as much territory as possible against other competitors. It features hotseat multiplayer and local network multiplayer as well, so if you only have one computer but have four friends, you can still all play the same game at the same time. During this rat race for technology and territory however there are the title's main antagonists: The Antarens, who are traveling through dimensional gateways to go blow up random colonies of yours. Meanwhile, somewhere in every randomly generated galaxy there is a world called Orion which has secret top tier technology for anyone who can defeat the Guardian to go pillage it.

It's a neat game with a pretty good AI and a reasonable difficulty curve from each of its five settings. It features all sorts of neat stuff, from planet crackers (think the death star beam), mass planetary brainwashing via telepathy, cloaking devices, and more.

It's also one of the only games I know where if you really hate a specific race (for me it's the Darloks because all they do is spam spies everywhere), by making a custom race out of them you can play to whatever style suits you and remove that race from play. Which is great because in the Windows 95 version there is this amusing bug where if you make more than 255 spies, the game crashes.

Reactions: foodforpigs
The first game I played was the infamous TMNT for the NES.

I really got into it with the 64, and my main game was:
StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg

But major credit goes to GoldenEye, I was a James Bond fanatic as a kid, and that games opened a wide world of multiplayer gaming I would later dive into fully.

th

DIABLO

Back when Blizzard was still young rather than the competitive gaming powerhouse it is today.

This game was tough on its players. Relentless, even. It was challenging and brutal and that made it all the more fun.

You are a solitary adventurer trying to save the village of Tristram from the labyrinth from hell and its armies of vicious demons and undead. You become a one-man monster slaying powerhouse as you slash your way into the depths of the dungeon until the ultimate confrontation with Diablo himself.

Personally, I played the Rogue. I like balanced jack of all trades types.

What really sold this game was the randomizing dungeons. No playthrough was ever the same.

Obviously, future iterations of this title would evolve the game from its humble roots.

But this a Retro Game thread, so Diablo 1 it is.

Reactions: Kairia
Final_Fantasy_Mystic_US_boxart.jpg

FINAL FANTASY: MYSTIC QUEST

So this was the JRPG for retards.

You have the cinematic feel and epic scope of FF6, the then-next-gen graphics and camera work of FF7, the innovative job system of FF5, the Machiavellian metagaming of FFT....

...and then you had this piece of crap.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest puts you in the role of Ben, a young knight who sees his village destroyed and is forced on a quest to slay the Dark King and his elementally-themed lieutenants who are trying to take over the world by stealing a bunch of elementally-themed crystals. FF1? This most certainly is not.

There are no random battles, there is no store-bought gear, there is no inventory management, there is no class specific abilities. Hell, you don't even have a party.

The game is a giant railroad that you follow from beginning to end in a straight line. The monsters are visible, stationary, and avoidable in the dungeons. On the world map, there are dedicated fields where all you do is walk on the hex and confirm that you wish to fight. Your "party members" join you one at a time (for a whopping party of 2 members) to help with plot-specific areas before leaving you for other trials. Your gear is identical to items you see other party members use, with your only unique trait being that you can use all of their weapons while they only use one. Magic? Its highly simplified into a very specific set of spells that you can count on one hand with fingers left over.

There is ONE Chocobo. And its a statue on a building.

How the hell is this a Final Fantasy game?

Favourite retro game...let me think...

Nope, got way too many to just single one out, but the most recent one I've been playing again would be Power Stone 2 on Dreamcast.

PowerStone2Logo.png

I've spent so much time playing this throughout the years, but haven't been able to keep going until a few weeks ago when I managed to fix my Dreamcast. It's just so much fun.

Having played both this and some of the Smash Bros. games, I would honestly pick this one any day of the week. The characters' special abilities (Power Drives) in their transformed modes are awesome and the item system is fun to use, especially if you're like me and often spam Adventure Mode to get that extra gold to finish crafting the one item you've been working towards in the Shop.

Incidentally, if anyone else has played it or at least knows a few things about the game, my favourite character is Accel and my currently equipped costume items are the Crown, Devil Tail and Shoes of Achilles. I'd include an image but it doesn't look like you can upload pictures into posts on here. Or I just can't find the option to do so. Whichever.