Retro Games

Oh, and before the Gundam Vs. series became awesome, there was Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram:
virtual-on-oratorio-tangram-cover.jpg

The game was speed in video game form. It was pure energy from the moment you hit start to the moment you finished off Tangram and won the game. And that's before you and your friends went head-to-head and beat the crap out of each other. Of course, there's also the Xbox 360 version, which adds the 3 Virtuaroids from the final arcade version and really well done netplay. I never played a game as religiously as the XBLA version of this, and I loved every minute of it.

Fury 3. It was you in a lone ship, against entire planets. Level everything to the ground. My first joystick game. <3
Probably not challenging for a flier ace, but still entertaining. The soundtrack, like in all good retro games, really mattered.

Hey, this thing is still going?

Then again, the retro timeframe was full of games.

"Commander Keen" put iD Software on the map (and I remember that platform game fondly). "Wolfenstein 3D" took that map, filled it full of bloody bullet holes, and worked to define a genre for years to come.

Amongst JRPG gamers, it is safe to assume that there exist two warring camps concerning the greatest JRPG of all time.

Those who debated between FF7 and FF6.

And those who debated between FF7 and Chrono Trigger.

And really, its quickly apparent why.

Chrono Trigger was a tightly-plotted, fast-paced game compared to its FF brethren, while somehow retaining the scope of its more traditional colleagues.

The game can be beaten even in a first playthrough in about 10-15 hours, with another 15-20 in side quests - and that isn't even going into the New Game+ feature, which, at the time, was absolutely revolutionary.

And a 10-15 hour playthrough was virtually unheard of in a Squaresoft game.

Tight plot, innovative combo moves, and the unheard-of features of New Game+ and multiple endings make Chrono Trigger a game that will stand the test of time.

142074-mvc2hd.jpg

I will be honest, I did not learn to appreciate games that you could just pick up and put away without too much time commitment until I was older.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is such a game.

I am sure there is some excuse plot to pit the Marvelverse against the Capcomverse, but honestly I just played the game.

Tag team, team up combo attacks, three people to a team, and one massive as fuck cast. I definitely got my moneys worth.

Raise of hands, who made teams based on a theme?

My favorites:

The Russian Mafia: Colossus, Zangief, and Omega Red

The Mini Squad: Rockman, Roll, and Serv Bot

The Eldritch Horrors: Blackheart, Shuma Gorath, and Thanos

Berseker Barrage: Wolverine, Bone Claw Wolverine, and Sabretooth

Commandos: Charlie, Cammy, Jill Valentine

Shellheads: Iron Man, War Machine, and Sentinel

Badass Adorables: Sakura Kusagano, BB Hood, and Roll

Ninjas: Psylocke, Spider Man, Strider Hiryu

Big Bad Evil Guys: Doctor Doom, M Bison, Thanos

The Big Guys: Hulk, Sentinel, Juggernaut

Reactions: Kairia
I'm playing Super Aleste on a SNES simulator. Fucking awesome.

I had Fighter Destiny 2, but this above vid sums up the great gameplay features of both; it rewarded strategy with a points based system beyond KO. :>

Baldur%27s_Gate_II_-_Shadows_of_Amn_Coverart.png

The Baldur's Gate Saga (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal)

Ah, Bioware. Known for its formulaic, yet effective, plots, dialogue trees, and romantic side quests.

Back in the early days of Bioware, they developed the Baldur's Gate series with publisher Black Isle Studios.

Its a story gamers will see for years to come: A protagonist coming from a normal background with an abnormal gift, thrown bodily into adventure, aided by a Cheerful Companion, a Dumb but Hilarious Ensemble Darkhorse companion, and a plethora of other (exceedingly) uniquely characterized personalities - to save the city/kingdom/world/multiverse.

Before we had Mass Effect's dialogue wheel, Baldur's Gate had a dialogue tree that made Type-Moon games looks like nickel comic books. Baldur's Gate was HUGE in lore, backstory, immersive plot, and dialogue options, with plenty of shout outs to the rest of the D&D and Forgotten Realms canon.

Even in its earliest stages, the BG series had enough side quests of varying types to never seem like you had to always go on a Fetch Quest or kill a hundred bears to get Twenty Bear Asses.

The escalating scale of its plot through each sequel makes it a truly awesome (as in, awe-inspiring) saga of mythical proportions as you slaughter your way to high-level gameplay and progressively become the most powerful mortal on the planet, a feat that makes even the strongest personalities of the Forgotten Realms think twice about challenging you.

But for all its epic and sprawling plot, its the characters - as always - that make BG and future Bioware games a treat. While BG 1 has the criticism that some of the NPCs were strictly there to give you meat shields (as BG1 had a notoriously high death rate compared to future games), BG2 onward definitely made you love to see the NPCs interact with you and - more hilariously - with each other. Taking the cake are the meme-tastic Minsc, Jan Jansen, and Boo.

For many gamers in the 1990s, the addition of romantic side quests was the western gaming community's first exposure to the phenomenon of intimately caring for a fictional woman or man. Of course, those of us who know about Visual Novels can readily say, "I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going...."

Finally, the BG series was HARD.

First-time playthroughs will invariably lead to wanton carnage, death, and destruction...and about half the time its your party getting trashed. In BG1, right in the opening hour or so, you can easily can turned into a paste by a mere bear. In BG2, there are plenty of secret bosses, dragons, and major bosses that can lead to a Total Party Kill if you don't know what you're doing. After a couple of playthroughs or just some judicious reading of various spell effects, you can easily learn to exploit the game's many glitches and computer AI flaws, but yeah - if you go into this game thinking you can just spam fireball all day, you will likely get obliterated.

I absolutely loved that.

Paradoxically, by the time you get to the last game, Throne of Bhaal, you're so damn powerful that most fights are a cake walk. But after four games and nearly 30+ levels of killing things, it felt liberating to walk up to a bunch of giant dragons and gods and trash them effortlessly.

Anyone remember these games? Give a shout out!

Grandia II!

I remember a time, back when I used to buy several games based on interesting cover art, I picked up a certain game. When I got home I remember being kind of disappointed that the game didn't have much to do with what the cover had on it.

Then I started playing that game because, well, I plunked down 30 bucks for it. The game swiftly proved to be far from disappointing. In fact it turned out to be pretty damned epic, in my opinion.

That game was Suikoden for the PS1. One of the few bought on a whim games I fell in love with.

I dunno about ya'll but I liked Oregon Trail (original!)

Not going to lie I sort of enjoyed to see the various ways I could get the group killed in Oregon Trail >> or I just had bad luck. Yeah we'll go with bad luck...

Also remember Pong. I didn't play the 'original' Pong....but I've played on computer as well as when it came out for the PS.

I started playing Parasite Eve when I was a kid (a random rental I picked up at the movie store....god I remember movie rental stores too D: ) and I loved it! But never go to finish it sadly :(

Duke Nukem was amusing too...

Reactions: Kairia and Razilin
Due to begin restrained to mostly weak PCs most of the games I played range from Fallout (the first one) to the newest being Sins of a Solar Empire and the first CoD: Modern Warfare. But most are titles from the start of millenium for PC and GBA (trough emulators). But I played all the Fallout RPG titles except for New Vegas and somehow liked Fallout 2 the best of all of the titles. I should probably take some time to return into the past and play some titles from older times but there is just not enought time next to playing (a bit less old) games, reading manga, watching anime and other stuff that I do.

I dunno about ya'll but I liked Oregon Trail (original!)

Not going to lie I sort of enjoyed to see the various ways I could get the group killed in Oregon Trail >> or I just had bad luck. Yeah we'll go with bad luck...

Also remember Pong. I didn't play the 'original' Pong....but I've played on computer as well as when it came out for the PS.

I started playing Parasite Eve when I was a kid (a random rental I picked up at the movie store....god I remember movie rental stores too D: ) and I loved it! But never go to finish it sadly :(

Duke Nukem was amusing too...
Concerning Oregon Trail

...My family got eaten, infected with dysentery, and drowned.

FAIL.

haha nice Raz.

I never quite got the hang of crossing the rivers without killing at least 1-2 or all the family haha

You use their bodies to float the fjord. Thats how I justified it!

th

Mega Man X

So as a kid I played Mega Man and Mega Man II. Skip a few years and my next blue bomber game is Mega Man X. And I loved the shit out of it.

Egoraptor has a good video explaining a lot of what I liked about this game.

One, the mechanics and gameplay are nearly identifical to previous Mega Man games, even down to the same size hitbox and rate of fire. However, with just the addition of wall jumping and dashing, everything concerning how to approach enemies and areas of the level changes immensely. I LOVED that kind of minimalist change leading to massive gameplay expansion.

The music was very catchy, the bosses were all sorts of difficulty, and slaughtering your way through Sigma's fortress was ridiculously hard for my younger self. I loved that.

Mega Man X is a solid game and definitely one of my favorites in the blue bomber franchise.

Anyone remember this gem?

Chrono trigger, Final fantasy 6.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3, after imposing on yourself the standard balance rules, is a gem of a game to play to this day. :)