Retro Games

You were an awesome 6 year old. Also, watching Starcraft multiplayer tournaments is hilariously funny. It's like espn only not boring to me.

Reactions: Kairia
I saw my uncle playing it and thought the units sounded really tough. Starcraft also taught me to type by punching in cheat codes as fast as possible.

Noo, it was supposed to teach you how micromanage 2 marines + medic to wipe out buildings!

Ace Combat Zero

A PS2 flight simulator where you play a mercenary ace fighter pilot. Easy to use controls, challenging AI that adapts against your flying style, and an AI controlled wingman who is actually useful, AC Zero lets you live up the glamour of being a fighter pulpit without some of the annoying stuff you in other flight sims. Like taking off.

Also, the soundtrack is ridiculously awesome.

<link>
</link>

Reactions: Kairia
By karate guys fighting each other do you mean street fight 1?
Oh, dang, that kinda looks like it, though my memory is generally too fuzzy for me to really be sure.

On a rather unrelated note, this:

@RiverNotch would that game involving solving a variety of puzzles on an island be Island of Dr. Brain, by any chance? It certainly fits the description.

The entire Ace Combat series has good arcade flight sim gameplay and excellent music, not just Zero.

I don't know what my favorite retro game is (or where we're drawing the line), so I'll just put down the entire old scrolling shoot-em-up genre. All of it. Love those games, even if I'm terrible at them. I'm particularly partial to R-Type...as one might be able to guess. Final's the only installment I've really played thoroughly, but the games are all fun. Nobody makes any games like them any more, except for Japanese indy developers, it seems.

Also, going to mention Metal Slug 3 as a great game. Not exactly the same genre, but definitely the highlight of the Metal Slug series. I could keep listing games that I keep coming back to or particularly love, but that's not quite the point of this discussion.

Also, just to comment a bit on the first post, Parasite Eve is a great game, and the first is definitely the best. Nomura did some really great monster designs for it, and I kind of wish he had more opportunities to do that sort of stuff.

@R-9 Pilot So this isn't retro per se, but ace combat 6, the giant furball mission that Garuda has to survive, just 2 vs 60+ and then every single ally you've made in the game shows up to help out.

Chills. Man tears.

I really need to get around to that one. Actually, I've got a lot of 360 games I never really got to.

If you like Ace Combat, you might find Air Force Delta Strike interesting. It's the same style of arcade flight sim, at least. It's got some interesting things going for it, including a ton of references to past Konami games available as unlockable (and ridiculously overpowered) playable aircraft. You'll only really see them after clearing the game entirely, though.

Oh yeah. Along with Baldurs Gate, does Devil May Cry count as a retro game?

Yes. All the ones before DmC. All the real DMC.

(3 is still my favorite)

Oh, Parasite Eve is good
Other than that I really like Chrono Trigger and Clock Tower.
All very good games.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Ah, yes. Fatal frame. That one was really good. Surprised I forgot about it.

Another game (Currently playing) Lord Of The Rings: The Third Age. Freakin love this RPG >.>

I grew up with the N64, so for me it was the early 3D Legend of Zelda games. Specifically, it was Majora's Mask, which is still my favorite Zelda game by far, second only to Ocarina of Time. Still waiting on that remake...

• Love
it makes me feel old that you were active in the era of N64 and not, say Nintendo, Famicoms, or Segas

Lets revive this thread for us retro gamers. tonight we will review Metal Gear Solid 1.

the game that defined all future sneaking games.

predator mode from arkham asylum? owes is existence to this game.

back when the metal gear saga wasnt ultra convoluted and you couldnt use first person targeting mode or CQC.

oh and i like to call it "the one with the NORMAL bosses." because lets face it, every boss after this game was just plain weirder and weirder.

i loved the hell out of this game and i loved the sneaking aspect of it the most.

i loved how snake was essentially alone the entire game, but you still got to flesh out his supporting crew into an entertaining group....even though virtually none of them were at shadow moses island.

it made playing metal gear solid 4s nostalgia bomb level at the modernized shadow moses island all the more heartbreaking.

"a surveillance camera!?"

that line? just as powerful as "luke i am your father"

Ooh a PE fan! I love PE too as well as PE2 though the latest entry in the series (3rd Birthday) is a complete disappointment.

As for my favorite retro game, it's a tie between Suikoden 2 and Legend of Mana.

Back before killstreaks, perks, paying $10 for weapon skins (WHY THE FUCK YOU WOULD DO THIS), and wussy cover systems were in everything, there was THIS:
Doom-1-.gif

You didn't have any of the above, you had a Big Fucking Gun, a map full of demons, and enough ammo to blow up ALL OF HELL. And that's before you got the Berserk and unleashed your inner RIP AND TEAR. And people STILL play this fucker and its sequels to this day. TO THIS DAY. Call of Duty will be gone and forgotten before this game ever dies.

Reactions: foodforpigs