Resident Evil - Where Do You Stand?

Which series do you prefer?

• Original PS1 Trilogy

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Newer Games

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Just one or two games in particular)

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Link, plox?
Start here!

But I seriously recommend reading 4 first, because the author basically gives all the characters personalities and back stories that are not at all what they are in the game and it ends up having a continuity that just gets better and better if you understand the references.

I feel that Resident Evil: Outbreak deserves some credit for creating a real "survival horror" atmosphere, despite it's poopy controls and infection-meter.

I am going to say I'm more of a fan of the original trilogy. I beat all three of them and Code Veronica, I think that was its title. I played some of 4 but I just couldn't get into the new play style, the series kind of lost its magic for me with that one.

I am, however, thinking about trying the newer one that's coming. I forget the name but it's supposed to be released in episodes before being released on a disc.

tl;dr

All of the Top 10 Game Scares of All Time lists will include the RE1 dog jump scare in the hall.

All of them.

I think that speaks volumes on where we as an audience had expectation on fear in storytelling. It also speaks volumes of what we expect now.

The rest of that Top 10 list will be full of who-knows-what, but all of them will include that dog jump scare.

It was just...

So good.

Reactions: Windsong
The dogs jumping out of the window randomly in #2 scared me more than the whole of #1.
They deliberately made you do a puzzle to calm you down... That was evil.

Start here!

But I seriously recommend reading 4 first, because the author basically gives all the characters personalities and back stories that are not at all what they are in the game and it ends up having a continuity that just gets better and better if you understand the references.

I'm reading this, and it's bloody hilarious so far. I loved the bit with the Nemesis.

I'm reading this, and it's bloody hilarious so far. I loved the bit with the Nemesis.
Glad I could have been of service! I'm seriously rereading them again, and loving every damn minute of it.

Also, there's one for Animal Crossing that is some of the darkest, most fucked up shit ever that's just as good.

Late to the conversation. But....

The old trilogy set the stage. I appreciate what they did for gaming and the Resident Evil series. But as far as game play, the new ones are smoother and more fun. By a long shot. For me at least. The new games I like because they are bringing the games outside of Racoon City and put it on a global scale. They have expanded the universe exponentially. I love that.

True horror games are hard to come by these days. I find that most people have been desensitized to horror. Look how far Dead Space had to go to get us scared. They did some pretty jacked up stuff!!! Games have to get really tripy and clever to get me to be afraid.

My first was 5, and I loved it. Still do. Then I played six, revelations then 4. (Out of order a bit I know) But I loved all of them.

The movies are....a tad cheezy, but I enjoy the action. :)

Boom, my opinion. So.....wuteva

Reactions: The Ghost Note
Fair point. They do resemble Necromorphs, but I would prefer these more inventive 'Dead Space-y' designs to the old, in my opinion generic monster types of the older games. Im also a fan of the Dead Space series, so there may be a bit of bias there. Not quite sure.
Ahem....

All_5_forms_of_G_(William_Birkin).jpg

I find this, as a boss more original than....
resident_evil_5_conceptart_tq080.jpg

Generic Giant Guy.

I never found the original games to be at all scary, I like the setting and the monster designs(No, not including the Zombies) more so than the later games. Resident Evil 4 is probably my favourite overall. I find Resident Evil 5 to be an unplayable piece of trash because of how dumb the Partner AI was, she was seriously beyond fuckin brain dead(FUCKIN USED UP ALL HER BULLETS!!). Resident Evil 6 was...I enjoyed that game more(it's still bad, but in a good bad sense), plus the option of giving your partner infinite ammo was the greatest thing they improved on from 5.

I still think Resident Evil had the best boss; Nemesis. The one boss in the original trilogy I encountered that made me experience true horror. And Capcom hasn't replicated him at all, which is sad really.

As for the Resident Evil Movies.....Even as Action Movies they were really bad. The last movie was beyond garbo, LETS JUST RANDOMLY BRING BACK DEAD CHARACTERS BECAUSE THE OTHER MOVIES WERE GR8 RIGHT? RIGHT?!

To be quite honest, Silent > Resident Evil when it comes to horror and gr8 monster designs(Without them looking super dumb.)

Ahem....

All_5_forms_of_G_(William_Birkin).jpg

I find this, as a boss more original than....
resident_evil_5_conceptart_tq080.jpg

Generic Giant Guy.

I never found the original games to be at all scary, I like the setting and the monster designs(No, not including the Zombies) more so than the later games. Resident Evil 4 is probably my favourite overall. I find Resident Evil 5 to be an unplayable piece of trash because of how dumb the Partner AI was, she was seriously beyond fuckin brain dead(FUCKIN USED UP ALL HER BULLETS!!). Resident Evil 6 was...I enjoyed that game more(it's still bad, but in a good bad sense), plus the option of giving your partner infinite ammo was the greatest thing they improved on from 5.

I still think Resident Evil had the best boss; Nemesis. The one boss in the original trilogy I encountered that made me experience true horror. And Capcom hasn't replicated him at all, which is sad really.

As for the Resident Evil Movies.....Even as Action Movies they were really bad. The last movie was beyond garbo, LETS JUST RANDOMLY BRING BACK DEAD CHARACTERS BECAUSE THE OTHER MOVIES WERE GR8 RIGHT? RIGHT?!

To be quite honest, Silent > Resident Evil when it comes to horror and gr8 monster designs(Without them looking super dumb.)
Well, I can safely say im still the only person I know who likes the new and the movies to the old. That's depressing.

As for Silent Hill, Ive actually never finished one. The only one I played was the first on the PS1 and I never got the chance to finish it. Are they any good?

Late to the conversation. But....

The old trilogy set the stage. I appreciate what they did for gaming and the Resident Evil series. But as far as game play, the new ones are smoother and more fun. By a long shot. For me at least. The new games I like because they are bringing the games outside of Racoon City and put it on a global scale. They have expanded the universe exponentially. I love that.

True horror games are hard to come by these days. I find that most people have been desensitized to horror. Look how far Dead Space had to go to get us scared. They did some pretty jacked up stuff!!! Games have to get really tripy and clever to get me to be afraid.

My first was 5, and I loved it. Still do. Then I played six, revelations then 4. (Out of order a bit I know) But I loved all of them.

The movies are....a tad cheezy, but I enjoy the action. :)

Boom, my opinion. So.....wuteva
You and I think the same, friend. Resident Evil going global and expanding the universe can only be a good thing and yeah Dead Space did have to really try to scare modern people. Part of the reason I love that series~

Well, I can safely say im still the only person I know who likes the new and the movies to the old. That's depressing.

As for Silent Hill, Ive actually never finished one. The only one I played was the first on the PS1 and I never got the chance to finish it. Are they any good?
Embrace it :bsmile: We all like that one thing everyone hates(I like Spider-Man 3, to be honest with you).

Silent Hill works when it's more cerebral and makes you want you to discover the truth. As such Silent Hill 2 is probably the best so far(Silent Hills looks like it's going back to SH2, in my opinion). The first game was good in setting up the universe of Silent Hill. 3 was basically a direct sequel to the first game, not bad, pretty good. the rest of them though....Eeeeeeeeh? They aren't shit tier...they are....meh.

Plus Silent Hill is one of the most rich(Lore wise) survival Horror Universes.

The only bad SHs I know are Homecoming and Downpour.

Downpour was bad in a humorous, glitchy, and just plain odd way, and Homecoming... just sucked.

Oh, and looking foward to Kojima's SH project.

The only bad SHs I know are Homecoming and Downpour.

Downpour was bad in a humorous, glitchy, and just plain odd way, and Homecoming... just sucked.
A lot of people mistakenly don't remember Homecoming and as such label Downpour as the worst of the seires....

I "fondly" remember Homecoming all too well, and oooooooh boooooy, let me tell ya.

And by fondly, I mean I'd rather have my skull caved in by a naked caveman than remember that..."game"

A lot of people mistakenly don't remember Homecoming and as such label Downpour as the worst of the seires....

I "fondly" remember Homecoming all too well, and oooooooh boooooy, let me tell ya.

And by fondly, I mean I'd rather have my skull caved in by a naked caveman than remember that..."game"
Nothing like straddling and choking out a torso on top of a torso. I preferred Downpour, stuck with me a little better than Homecoming, as bad as it was.

Embrace it :bsmile: We all like that one thing everyone hates(I like Spider-Man 3, to be honest with you).

Silent Hill works when it's more cerebral and makes you want you to discover the truth. As such Silent Hill 2 is probably the best so far(Silent Hills looks like it's going back to SH2, in my opinion). The first game was good in setting up the universe of Silent Hill. 3 was basically a direct sequel to the first game, not bad, pretty good. the rest of them though....Eeeeeeeeh? They aren't shit tier...they are....meh.

Plus Silent Hill is one of the most rich(Lore wise) survival Horror Universes.
Hm..Silent Hill never seemed to interest me in a way that made me want to find out more. After doing a bit of research, I havent really seen much that interests me still. Though, the 'P.T.' game was certainly interesting and plenty bone chilling. Am I missing something?

Hm..Silent Hill never seemed to interest me in a way that made me want to find out more. After doing a bit of research, I havent really seen much that interests me still. Though, the 'P.T.' game was certainly interesting and plenty bone chilling. Am I missing something?
I haven't played a Silent Hill game (mainly because they seem to only come out on systems I don't have, and I feel like the series is too old for me to hop on the train to appreciate it), but from what I understand the draw is they tend to have really good narratives and some pretty dark, spooky themes that relate directly to the character. Each game is different for what you encounter because, if I remember right, the monsters you see are reflections of the character's own personal demons and mental trauma. The games aren't as reliant on combat and is all about creating a really unsettling atmosphere and testing your expectations.

One of the games, if I remember correctly, had you answer a brief survey of stuff that included things like your fears, what moral failings you have, and other things like that to complete a bit of a psyche profile, and the game changed to reflect what answers you picked, so the encounters, monsters, and even the tone of the game would be decidedly different for each play through, provided you answered differently. I don't know if this system was ever fleshed out or if the game turned out alright, but that's some damn innovative stuff.

I haven't played a Silent Hill game (mainly because they seem to only come out on systems I don't have, and I feel like the series is too old for me to hop on the train to appreciate it), but from what I understand the draw is they tend to have really good narratives and some pretty dark, spooky themes that relate directly to the character. Each game is different for what you encounter because, if I remember right, the monsters you see are reflections of the character's own personal demons and mental trauma. The games aren't as reliant on combat and is all about creating a really unsettling atmosphere and testing your expectations.

One of the games, if I remember correctly, had you answer a brief survey of stuff that included things like your fears, what moral failings you have, and other things like that to complete a bit of a psyche profile, and the game changed to reflect what answers you picked, so the encounters, monsters, and even the tone of the game would be decidedly different for each play through, provided you answered differently. I don't know if this system was ever fleshed out or if the game turned out alright, but that's some damn innovative stuff.
Gotta admit, that does sound really freaking cool. do you remember what game had that survey?

Gotta admit, that does sound really freaking cool. do you remember what game had that survey?
Oh man, I wish I did. It was either the second or third last one to come out. Sorry I'm not more help!