Rescuing the Young(Katherun&Halie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin looked st X. Removing the collar had actually had nothing to do with true. In fact he tdustdd the demon very little. He studied the smaller man thoughtfully. He seemed to remember very little to nothing when he snapped. Which was pbogh good and bad. Still this was his chance to possible get X's help. Something he was desperate for. "Ii took the collar off. I trust you to do the right ghkng."

X listened to the man with rapt curiosity, trying to figure out why he'd done what he did. "Trust me to do the right thing." He repeated to himself, looking at the ground. "So... so that means I'm free? I don't have to listen to you? Or anyone?" He asked. "But. You want me to come with you..." He was thinking out loud now, trying to weigh his options. With a heavy sigh, the demon made up his mind. "I don't have anywhere to go." He admitted. "And... If... if I'm, I'm really free, I can leave whenever I want, right?" X eyed the man in suspicion.

"Yes X your free to come and go as you please." Griffin told him as he continued down the path. "You don't have to listen to anyone but yourself and the law. No getting around the law I'm afraid. I would like it if you came with me but I wont force you to. I don't have time to fight with you. I've already lost too much time." He told the demon. He walked down the road without looking at the demon. He didn't want the demon to feel threatened. He wanted X to know that he meant what he said. The demon could come or go as he wanted.

X followed behind Griffin, a few paces behind- because his legs were short and he had a harder time keeping up. "The law is broken." X said coldly. It was arbitrary, and only protected those who created it. He refused to follow what'd betrayed and condemned him. It was the cold indifference of the law that Griffin was even making his journey to begin with. His boy had done nothing wrong; he should've been protected. "But I don't have anywhere else to go. I'm going with you."

Griffin laughed. "You will not get any agreements from me on that X. I don't like the law but I have to follow it." He nodded when the demon told him he was going to cone with him. That was a start. Not perfect but a good start. The longer they walked the slower Griffin's walked became. Before long he was walking with a slight limp. The limp became more pronounced as they continued on.

The demon didn't find what he said to be funny. He meant every hatred filled word. "Why do you follow something that betrays you? Something that doesn't protect you?" He didn't expect an answer, but he asked anyway. The longer they walked, X began to notice the other's limp. He saw how it slowed him down, how he had difficulty walking. He didn't say anything about it, however. Past experience dictated it wasn't his place to point it out.

Griffin walked until he couldn't. He dropped exhausted under a near by tree. He rubbed at his bsd leg. He woild have preferred to fly but he knew they would be prepared for that. It was logical for a being with wings to fly.they would have traps ready. Plus X could travel that way. He tired took out some cured meat and held out a large portion to the demon. "You should eat."

When Griffin eventually tired out, X started to worry. They'd gone a good ways, but even he could've still gone further, and that said something for as out of shape and exhausted as he was. The demon sat down beside him, a little more than an arm's length away. Curiosity was eating at him, and he couldn't help but ask, "What happened to your leg?" When the food was handed to him, he took it without argumentand scarfed it down as fast as humanly possible without choking himself.

"It was broken long ago when I was a boy. It didnt heal right. The healers tell me to much time had psst. The muscles have died. It will only slow us down a little." Griffin told him as he closed his eyes. He lay the silently listening to the world around them. He was tired but knee he should eat. He opened the pack and took out an Apple. He eat it slowly. He didn't bother opening his eye . X was free yo do what he wanted.

X listened quietly as he ate. He didn't have anything to say to him. He had no kind words, or anything of reassurance. Not that it would've mattered even if he did. While Griffin slowly enjoyed his apple, X finished up the meat he was given. He sat protectively hunched over his meal, like a dog who was scared of his food being taken. In a lot of ways, he was that beaten dog. When he finished, he pulled his legs close to his chest and rested his head against his knees. "Are we going any further?" He asked.

"Tonight?" Griffin looked at the sky. They still had a few hours until dark. As much as he didn't want to they needed to continue. "Yes we'll continue until dark." he grimaced as he struggled to his feet. Once he was standing he slowly started down the road once again.

The demon nodded and rose to his feet. He was well accustomed to pushing himself well past exhaustion. He'd never had much of a choice. Now, presented with it, it just seemed odd to him to stop when he could clearly do more. "Alright." For a time, he walked with him in silence. After a while, he started to get bored. And curiosity about the other's child started to eat at him. "...What exactly happened to... to your kid?"

"I was betrayed." Griffin told him "We were stating with a flock of my kind. I was away hunting when the poachers came. The village gave them my son to ensure the safety of the other young. When I returned from the hunt I was told my son had been chosen because we were no true member of the flock." He didn't include that his psst had played a role. He wasn't seen as a full citizen. He was more than an outsider to the flock he was stain on their pure breeding lineage.

While he didn't want to sympathize with Griffin, X couldn't help but feel a slight twinge of pity for him. "Oh." Was all he had to say. He was quiet for a while after that, mulling over the man's words. "Why did you stay? If they hated you so bad.. why did you stay?" He had no concept of loyalty to his own. His kind weren't social. Had he not been raised in the slave trade, around humans and others in general, he would've grown to be wild and feral; little more than an animal.

Griffin shook his head. "I was a single parent. I needed someone to watch my son while I hunt. I had no where else to go." He explained. "I'm not exactly welcome anywhere. My past makes it hard to find places that will allow me to stay. It hard to find somewhere where my son would be safe. I knew I wouldnt be welcome but I hoped my son would be."

"Obviously not." X stated. He was curious now about Griffin's past that made assimilation so difficult, but he wouldn't ask anything about it. It wasn't so much out of respect that he kept quiet, but fear. Personal questions were typically not asked without repercussion. And X feared it more than anything else. "Kid's lucky though." He said, looking up at the other. He wished he would've had a father like Griffin; someone who'd risk their life to save him when he was first sold. But when it was his own father who'd abandoned him in the first place... the demon shook his head. "Why'd you decide you needed my help?"

"The pouchers are expecting me to come after my son." Griffin explained. "I don't have anyone I trust. So I went to the market looking for someone that they won't expect. That's one of the reason's I choose you. They don't be expecting you. Maybe with something unexpected I can succeed. I would love to get through this without endingvup in a cell."

X eyed him in apprehension. "But you don't trust me." He stated slowly. "What do you expect me to do? Attack them while you go after your kid?" He frowned. "I'll get killed in a heartbeat!" He was starting to get worked up- fear was taking hold of him.

Griffin shook his head. "No that wouldn't be fair. Your too small. They would simply trap you. No I want you to save my son while I keep them busy." He explained. He had a couple ideas his he would keep them busy. He didn't know which would use. Which ever worked best. He didn't care as long as his son was safe. He didn't care about himself.

Though it put him somewhat at ease, knowing he wasn't being sent to his death, the whole plan still didn't sit right with him. "And if you get hurt? What do I do? Your kid?" X wasn't capable of taking care of a kid. He didn't have the slightest idea what to do then . "What then?"

Status
Not open for further replies.