Replacement Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pinion was on my differential and when I turned my car on to leave my grandmas it just shredded that thing to bits and it was missable picking up the little bits of metal.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT. Tell me everything cause this sounds like I can help you. I work in a shop.

I was backing out of my grandmothers driveway.
My car locked up, and my pinion nut demolished a crush sleeve and other parts of my differential as it just shredded itself.
It even bent part of the pinion nut a horrible way and we (dad) did some magic with a welding tool and a blow torch to get it back in perfect porportions and I have to order 45 dollars of shit from O'Rieleys to get the fakkin thing working.

What you will do is jack the car up, and support the rear end on jack stands (Would hate to hear of an accident in the news.) Then you will take the read wheels off, the drums/rotors depending on trim level, next you move back under the car, and drop the drive shaft. It can be held on a number of ways, I think GM uses four bolts to hold it in place. Only drop the side to the rear end. Next get something to catch the old smelly, slimy, metal filled gear oil in, and remove the backing plate. It should be like ten to twelve 1/2 or 13mm bolts.

Now this is this is huge. Lay a clean rag down, and place any removed parts on it. Take note on how they come out, because the spider gears can be a nightmare. Slowly turn the rear end from where the drive shaft was till you see a small bolt head that goes into a rod. It should be something small like an 8mm. Remove said bolt, and rod to reveal two clips. These are clips for your axles, and should simply pull off. Next remove both axles, and you should not have to replace the grease seals. You can if you want since you are right there.

I believe the spider gear will at this point simply turn out as you turn the rear end. keep a close eye on how they come out so you can put them back in the same way. Replace them if they are damaged. Next you should be able to remove the main bearing, and begin reassembly. I would replace the front main seal just to be safe. Assemble in reverse, and you are done. Clean up the inspection plate, and remove any old gasket. Fill it up with the correct gear oil, and hit the road for a test drive to make sure everything is seated right.

Now that is how you do one in the ideal case. You will more then likely need a repair manual to know how to get the gears back in place. Even if you didn't need it now you can fix most anything on your car. If you have a manual transmission then the repair guide will be able to walk you through a complete tear down of your car, and rebuild.

I hope this is helpful to you. I just hope I didn't leave anything out as it has been a minute since I last worked on a rear end >.<

Oh no, I've already disassembled and removed the broken shit. Me and dad will head over Saturday to put the broken stuff back on. I like to drive cars but I don't know the lingo...it's foreign to me, I just remember some of what dad says.

OH. If it can be fixed then just keep the car. Like I said I work in a shop, so I can fix most anything. Like on my Lexus ES 300. The door was messed up from being hit before I bought it. Had to kick it shut, and it stopped closing after a bit. So I took the door latch out of my 92 Camry, and rebuilt it out of plastic, and metal. Works fine now just have to shut it harder then normal because it was done by eye alone. Was not going to pay $242 for a new latch.

Reactions: Maddeline
It's just that it's an older Trans Am and for it to start giving me problems...meh

I got out of fast cars when I got rid of my 85 MR2. I got pulled over doing 150 in a 40. Suppose it was for the best though >.> v.v TT.TT

That's just a little fast there!

What about a 2000 camaro?
I am on a budget of around 5k

I think you would like a Nissan Maxima. V6. Large perfomance platform, and dependible. The Camaros are nice, but I think thay body style bogs down. May have been the body style before.

Also take into consideration weight of the vehicle you can find all this out on Wikipedia. Amarican cars tend to be on the heavy side. So they need more power. A lighter vehicle with the same power should in most cases be faster, and handle better. Imports tend to be better for this, A 1800 pound car with 112 hp can beat a 93-97 mustang by a car length in a quarter mile. Just something to think about.

What I would do with it is stroke the block. it will increase the torqe, and cause it to be alot faster. Smack a turbo on it, and then I would go as far as to say the backwoods boys will never come close to touching you.

That 3000GT was in rough condition- dash was shambled, cracked window and the first cylinder didn't want to run well- car pulled hard right. Unpainted front bumper and the AC didn't work. They wanted 3k for it and I was like "lol fuk dat", I would give them 1500 but no more.

Say you have 1000 cash. Tell them it will cost more then that to fix. If they say no start going up just a bit, and as you leave say 1500. If they take it then go for it. sounds like it might have been hit.

It hit a deer, while going around 65 on the parkway. The front end is out of alignment because of it, subsequently

Status
Not open for further replies.