3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I like nearly all genres as long as they are anime-themed, anything can be made interesting.
Today I came across a post that used hide-thanks tag as a purpose of gathering likes(not going to say more to this since I don't want to incite a witch hunt) and, upon further investigation, found a whole lot more of these hider things. I'm not sure how long they're a part of Iwaku now and have really strong, negative, emotions about them but, instead, I'll hopefully keep it short and subjective. Because it makes zero sense.

I'm also aware I can easily see such posts via quoting the initial post and/or giving a like and then removing it, but those are workarounds for a feature that shouldn't exist in the first place.

So, while it could be argued that the hidereply options make sense to avoid lurkers inside RPs (which is an entire discussion in itself as to why to RP on a platform that has 'open viewing access' instead of taking it somewhere else), the other tag, hidethanks, makes no sense whatsoever on a role-play forum.

Actually the hide until reply option seems pretty cool, role-playing wise, to hide schemes and traps until after someone posted. But that doesn't excuse hidethanks.

The idea of liking a post is because I like the CONTENT of the post. How can I like the content if I can't see the entire content in the first place, unless I give it a like?

Or am I missing something here?

For those not aware what I am talking about, basically this, taken from the bb-codes section:

unknown.png

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
Maybe they're being humble and don't want thanks? XD

I honestly don't know. I haven't seen anything like it. Then again, I haven't been wandering too far in the forums.

I can think of one reason (that isn't dishonest like-farming) where someone would use hide-thanks tag, and that might be to keep track of who is reading your content. I might in the future use that if, say, I wanted to talk about an RP with someone other than my partner to geek out and squeal over things happening in the RP.

However, that would only work if people didn't remove their rating before I saw the notification, in which case I would never get such a notification. It's one click on PC to remove a rating, after all.

We knew about that feature and the possibility of using it in that way when we implemented it.
We ultimately decided to leave it as we could think of some fun/useful reasons to have it and the only downside that we could really find was "like-farming" and... really, it's just imaginary points on an online account. If someone really wants the validation enough to intentionally exploit the feature to garner more likes then there are worse ways to get easy feelgood points.