Remove Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Salsacookies

Original poster
You can't sleep. It started like that for all of us, back when we were garden variety insomniacs. Maybe you had nightmares (God knows we all do now), or maybe you just had problems that wouldn't let you sleep. Hell, maybe you were just over-caffienated. But then something clicked.

That was when you took a long walk down the streets of the Mad City, stopped being a Sleeper, and started being Awake. But that click you heard wasn't from the secret world snapping into place. It was the sound of the Nightmares flicking off the safety and pointing a gun at your head.

They can smell you. You're chum in the water, my friend, and it's time you got ready for it… before the clock chimes thirteen again. Now that you're one of us, there's just one simple rule left that must dominate your life.

Stay Awake. Don't Rest Your Head.

Once per roll, you may increase your exhaustion by one.

Any time you roll, you may add one to six dice of temporary madness to your roll.

To determine the degree of success, count the dice that show 1, 2, or 3.

To determine the strength of a pool, find the die of that colour showing the highest number.

If you meet or beat the GM's degree, you succeed. Otherwise, you fail.

To determine what dominates, pick the pool with the highest strength.

If discipline dominates, things stay under control. You have the option to remove a response check-mark or decrease your exhaustion by one.

If exhaustion dominates, your resources are taxed. Increase exhaustion by one.

If madness dominates, things get more chaotic. Check off a response and behave accordingly.

If pain dominates, you pay a greater price. Pay a coin into the GM's despair coffer.

If exhaustion is increased above 6, you crash.

If you must check off a response, but can't, you snap.

If you crash, you fall asleep, or face some other serious defeat (like death).

If you snap, you go mad for a time, clear out your responses, lose one discipline, and gain one permanent madness.

If you lose all discipline, you become a Nightmare. You're an enemy now.

To make minor use of an exhaustion talent, your exhaustion must be at least one. On the affected roll, your minimum number of successes is equal to your current level of exhaustion.

To make major use of an exhaustion talent, you must increase your exhaustion by one, and you may add your current level of exhaustion to the roll, as successes.

To make use of a madness talent, you must add one to six temporary madness dice to the roll, as determined by the GM for the potency of the effect.

The GM may spend one coin of despair to add or remove a 6 from any pool in play; the coin pays into hope. If this causes pain to dominate, no coin is paid into the despair coffer.

Any player may spend one coin of hope to remove one exhaustion, or to remove a check mark from fight or flight, or to add a 1 to the protagonist's discipline pool.

Any player may spend five minus discipline in coins of hope to recover one point of discipline and remove one point of permanent madness.

My name is...

And I am...

Who are you? What's your job? A describing word often associated with you?

What's been keeping me awake?

Has someone close to you been hurt? Do you feel as if you're being hunted? Is that one level just bugging you too much?

What's just happened to me?

What situation just happened? This is the situation you'll be starting your tale with, so make it interesting.

What's on the surface?

How do you present yourself to others? What's your public face? How do you act in public, and how do you want people to see you?

What lies beneath?

What are you really like, in the privacy of your thoughts? What dark traits do you never let see the light of day?

What's my path?

Where are you going? What goals do you want to achieve?

Discipline : X X X

Permanent Madness : O O O

Exhaustion : O O O O O O

^None of these three can be changed in character creation, so ignore it.

Fight Responses

Flight Responses

O O O

^You get three responses total, so split them up among Fight and Flight. You can have three of one, or two of one and one of the other.

Exhaustion Talent:

Your exhaustion talent is something mundane you're really good at, like shooting, driving, or parkour.

Madness Talent:

Your madness talent is something you've never been able to do before now, something supernatural, weird, and more frequently than not, horrifying. Let the twisted side of your imagination run rampart, but don't come up with something overpowered.

This is Quality over Speed, not First Come First Serve.
Cast:

Wait list:
The Rest

From what I've seen if this, it can get very tense and is quite strange and creepy. I'm planning to have this be like Silent Hill. This game is mostly character driven, with die rolls only for conflicts or power use. This is what I know of it, and this is my first time running the thing, so enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in, DRYH is my favorite system

:) I do not have the book, am I missing anything? Planning on buying the book if I like it.

The one thing you missed is the way you tell what Dominates in ties. Discipline > Pain > Madness > Exhaustion, if memory serves.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Disc-Exhaust-Mad-Pain. Okay, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.