Religious affiliations

What is your (non-)religious belief?

• Christian (Protestant)

• Christian (Catholic)

• Christian (Eastern Orthodox)

• Christian (Other Denomination/Non-Practicing)

• Islamic (Suuni)

• Islamic (Shia)

• Islamic (Other)

• Hindu (All)

• Buddhist (All)

• Sikh (All)

• Jewish (All)

• Atheistic (All Non-Religious)

• New-World (Wicca/Et Cetera)

• Mix of the above. (2+ Options Above.)

• None of the above. (Other.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
--What is your (non-)religious affiliation?

Atheist.

--Why did you choose this belief over others? Is there any particular reason, or were you born into it?

I don't real feel it as ever a conscious choice, I sort of just slowly drifted towards towards it as I grew older. There was no great revelation.

--How strongly do you believe in your (non-)religious belief?

Pretty strongly, I'd say a solid 8/10. I have no reason to not (not) believe, but I do not know everything so I'm well within the capacity to be wrong. The moment I stand 100% confident in my atheism Jesus would come down just slap me in the face and laugh at how wrong I am.

--Do you actively attempt to convert others to your beliefs? Why or why not?

No. Not only is that dickish and a violation of other's privacy, it's also a lot of effort on my end that I'm not willing to commit.

--Do your parents/family share the same (non-)religious beliefs? Do they approve of your choice, disapprove, or feel nothing about it?

My parent's are genero-christians. They sort of just have a vague belief in god, my father significantly more so than my mother. The topic of my lack of religiosity rarely comes up, but when it does my mom is usually uncaring and just uses it as fodder for jokes, my dad on the other hand just sorta stares disapprovingly. There's nothing he can say to change my mind and he knows it.

--Did you always believe in your present (non-)religious belief, or did you convert later on in life? If so, what did you used to belief? Why did your beliefs change?

I think I answered this pretty well in the first question, but I guess I'll elaborate. I was born as a genero-christian, just don't be an asshole and you'll get into heaven type of thing. Religion never really came up as a big deal. The few times I was dragged to church was by more religious family members. I guess this whole lack of religious monitoring led to my eventual, creeping atheism. I was never given any reason to not be and atheist so it just sort of happened.

Pretty crappy 'elaboration', but I really can't think of anything else to say.

--Do your (non-)religious beliefs impact your ability to hold stable relationships (friendships, romances, et cetera) with others who do not share the same beliefs?

Nope. My distant aloofness and poor social skills are the catalysts of my relationship woes.

--Do you believe you could change your views now, or are they set in stone, never to be changed again?

Oh sure, life's a funny thing and you can never real predict where it may go. I'm only 21, plenty of time to find Buddha or something.

--Would you ever commit an act of violence in the name of your (non-)religious beliefs? If so, under what circumstances or conditions?

As humorous as it would be to fight for 'still-open-to-suggestion-should-a-reasonable-argument-be-made atheism' I'm going to mark this as a no.

--Do your (non-)religious views influence your political views? If so, how significantly?

My political beliefs essentially boil down to 'everything is shit and there's nothing that can be reasonably done to fix it'. So not really.

--Would you consider yourself agnostic or gnostic?

I think I've made it pretty clear that I'm Agnostic.

Reactions: Brovo
I chose 'other'. There is no technical name for what I am, so let's call it 'Questioning'

--Why did you choose this belief over others? Is there any particular reason, or were you born into it?
I haven't. I don't think any one religion or non-religion has it right.

I don't. I'm still figuring out my beliefs. They change from time to time.

No. I come from a very religious baptist background, and while I believe faith is important, I don't believe condemning others who think differently. It makes for a horrible time for everybody involved.

--Do your parents/family share the same (non-)religious beliefs? Do they approve of your choice, disapprove, or feel nothing about it?
No they do not. While my mother understands my hesitation about blindly following an organized religion she is disappointed I don't share her personal beliefs and blames herself for my incessant questioning.

--Did you always believe in your present (non-)religious belief, or did you convert later on in life? If so, what did you used to belief? Why did your beliefs change?
It was a gradual evolution.

--Do your (non-)religious beliefs impact your ability to hold stable relationships (friendships, romances, et cetera) with others who do not share the same beliefs?
No

--Do you believe you could change your views now, or are they set in stone, never to be changed again?
My beliefs are constantly changing and evolving.

--Would you ever commit an act of violence in the name of your (non-)religious beliefs? If so, under what circumstances or conditions?
That's a whole lot of nope.

--Do your (non-)religious views influence your political views? If so, how significantly?
Yes. Any politician trying to push their person religious ideologies on the rest of the populace isn't in correct field, and will not get my vote.

A combination of the two. While certain things I believe whole heartedly others I am still questing after answers. I don't believe any one religion has got it right. I think that they all got pieces right. I believe I am more than my body, my consciousness will not just disappear from existence, therefore I believe in the afterlife. But I do not believe 'paradise' is an achievable goal either. The one thing I know for sure, is that I don't have all the answers.

Questions I don't bother answering can be summarized as "Nah", or are answered sufficiently elsewhere. I like to be succinct.

(Also, because this isn't really a discussion thread, I decided not to read the totality of responses, only those from individuals of interest to me.)

No religious affiliations, though I am atheistic in belief.

A large part of my family falls into some form or other of atheism, though my mother is a fairly non-religious theist. Further back, my family is religious, but most only casually. The only one who ever makes a point of it is my maternal grandmother—her opinion of my lack of belief was effectively summarized by "You'll burn in hell, but you're a good kid and I still love you."

I did originally believe in God and Jesus as a small child—I accepted them as a fact of the world, much like I did Santa Claus. In a sense, the fragility of that belief was also similar to Santa Claus. As I grew older, I only continued to believe because I hadn't been explicitly told otherwise—and I realized that my beliefs had no foundations. I just didn't care, because it was easier to go along with it. Whenever it was that I switched to atheism, it wouldn't have been some great epiphany or even a gradually dawning realization. Just a casual acceptance that I didn't need to believe any more, and so I didn't.

I consider myself a gnostic atheist. I've mentioned it to @Brovo before, but I don't think he believed me at the time—after all, he did a couple times in the future say
I've yet to meet a gnostic atheist.
I'll explain my reasoning, then.

When confronting a theist about their beliefs, they are called beliefs—even though to them, it is as good as knowledge. The same is true for me. From a logical perspective, I am fully aware that is impossible to disprove the existence of deities. And yet, logic has no place in the power of my belief in atheism. Logically, it is impossible to prove that the sky is blue, but I know it is. If, by some new discovery in science, we discover the sky isn't actually blue, that will not change my belief that up until that moment, the sky was blue. That belief is unshakable, unbreakable. It is a part of what I consider the foundation of my reality.

This is largely due to my philosophical stance on the nature of reality—I take the world as I perceive it. Internally, my perception is fact. Therefore, the beliefs I have that are a direct result of those perceptions are considered equally factual.

Roman Catholic. Though right now I'm going through some issues with my own personal beliefs and what I grew up with.

My family is Catholic. And on paper, at least, more than 70% of my country's population is Catholic. So... Yeah. I was born into it, grew up in it, and am expected to continue in it.

Honestly? Right now I'm only very loosely close to my family's Catholic beliefs. I know there's a higher being (let's just call them God) out there, but I doubt God is really as the Christian texts tell he is.

No. What others believe isn't really any of my business, and I don't really care.

They're Catholic, and they agree with most Catholic beliefs. We're not as 'pious' as my grandmother on mother's side, since my father is an engineer and a Freemason. He's more likely to choose science and logic over the intangible. My mother is still faithful to her religion, but she's also not as devout as my grandmother. No one in my family is as devout as my grandmother. So... I don't really know.

Well, when I was a child I guess I believed. Once I entered high school, it took a long time to open my eyes to the 'real' world (and I'm still learning even now), but once I did it was hard to see my family's beliefs the same way I once did.

Not really. I don't flaunt my religion, nor do I openly state my current doubts. Only my best friend knows of my feelings, and not even in its entirety. She's also quite openminded and liberal and doesn't really care, as long as I'm well and not hurting myself in any way. Because I don't force my beliefs on others, and I'm fine with other religions I've had friends with all sorts of beliefs. Atheist, agnostic, Muslim, etc.

My beliefs are actually constantly being challenged and changing.

Hell no.

Not really.

Agnostic Theist?

--Thank you for answering these questions! Here, have a ferret. Remember, if anyone harasses you in this thread about your beliefs, just let a moderator know and they'll take care of it!
Thank you too.

Christian-Protestants

I was born into it, but left free to choose if I wanted to believe/join or not. As a child my faith was pretty unwavering, but due to circumstances and puberty I started to question it. Now through a lot of (over)thinking and talking I've chosen it again. One of the reasons is because it really makes me feel at peace within myself. It is hard to describe that feeling that springs from my heart, but it is one of the reasons why I chose to join the church.

As previously answered, as a child it was unwavering and passionate. Nowadays it is rather meek. I believe in the basic idea of the church, but still clash with a lot of their views, but I don't want to put it to non-practising. Did it before and it didn't do me well.

No. I talk about it, but if the other party isn't open to the conversation I won't press on it. If there are questions I happily answer them if I can. I respect others for having a different faith or none at all and would like it if they respect me for my belief as well.

My family are all Christian-Protestants as well. Some more strict than others, but everyone is religious.

There has been a period of time in which I was really defiant against religion, or at least denied it. Funnily enough it were Muslim friends who sparked my interest in religion again, to which I did my research again. Afterwards my parents send me to a summer camp where I chose the faith again.

No, everyone knows about my religion and I know about their stand in faith. We respect each other for the different religion, or lack of it. If there is anyone who doesn't I will send them to the door in my life. I don't need that negativity in my circle.

To be honest, I'm still trying to find my place in my faith. Though I don't think I will change religion.

No, violence is the last answer and message one should ever resort to. I look heavily down upon it and would never want to choose violence as an option even as the last choice.

I'm quite liberal for my religion. Other than that I also keep politics and religion apart from each other. Religion is something personal for me, not to be forced down upon others because we voted 'religiously'.

//Looks up the words

Agnostic.

--Thank you for answering these questions! Here, have a ferret. Remember, if anyone harasses you in this thread about your beliefs, just let a moderator know and they'll take care of it!
Thank you as well!

--What is your (non-)religious affiliation? Theism I suppose but my views on this subject are vastly different than other individuals so I'll say this for now.

To keep this brief, I'll say that I believe in a portion of all religions to some extent, so that wouldn't make me very religious according to another religion if my faith partially resides in another.

Around 75% or higher.

No and because it's not my place to do so. In this world, I believe that only you can find what's worth believing in.

Never told them but I give them hints from time to time. Plus, I was raised by parents who are of two different religions so I doubt it would matter much if they knew.

No. My belief changed greatly upon gaining new information on said religion. That religion was Christianity but I've been contemplating between the Muslim religion and it since I was younger so there was already a high chance of me converting over to another religion before I even acquired additional info.

Both yes and no.

I'm open minded when it comes to this sort of thing so it's a good possibility.

No.

I don't do politics so I couldn't say.

Answer here! (Agnostic - Without absolute certainty of one's beliefs. Gnostic - Absolute certainty of one's beliefs. Ex: "Agnostic Atheist", "Gnostic Atheist", "Agnostic Theist", "Gnostic Theist.")

I guess Agnostic Theist

--Thank you for answering these questions! Here, have aferret. Remember, if anyone harasses you in this thread about your beliefs, just let a moderator know and they'll take care of it!
I'm extremely sleepy for staying up all night so don't judge me.

I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
(Pastafarianism)

Most of the other (non-)religions take their believes way to serious, and they don't include a heaven with stripper factories and beer volcanoes.

How do you measure such a thing?

It's against my religion.

My dad doesn't care about it, he's a facto-atheist, and couldn't give a rat's ass.

I always believed in science and still do, but after a certain time I stopped caring about religion and chose for Pastafarianism.

No, but when it comes to romantic relationships I could not deal with a spouse that is a hardcore believer in any form or is ignorant towards science.

The name might change, but the fucks I give will remain 0.

Never, I'd only commit an act of violence because the other person is a little shit.

No, I look at what they aim to full fill even if it's under the banner of a higher power, sadly they often mix in religion with their views.

Agnostic Atheist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an agnostic atheist

I had questioned for years when I was a good fundamental baptist in my teens, and over the course of years of being out of the church and out of my parent's house, I have been able to acquire more resources on research that allowed me to further question what they preached. It also didn't help that the IFB's fueled my step-father's controlling tendencies.

Fairly strongly.

No, but I do enjoy getting others to think, because thinking leads to questioning and allows one to look at their beliefs from a different light.

Some of my family do. My maternal grandparents disapprove and are praying for me, but my step-father's family do not care and actually understand why I deconverted, and no matter my sexuality or beliefs, they will love me for me. I found it easier to come out to them about my bisexuality than my family that I have known for my entire life.

I converted later in life. I was an IFB, ones that I consider to be the worst. My beliefs changed when I started questioning and felt demonized for being me within the congregation, and also the abuse from my step-father.

I feel that it is actually starting to impact my marriage and parts of my family towards me because I have been taking a more vocal approach to my beliefs and standing up for them to them.

I would like to see some actual evidence for a deity. As an agnostic, I am still questioning.

For my beliefs? No. For my moral standing? Yes. I would harm another if it meant protecting others.

In a sense, it does because I do not like all the religious (I.e. fundamental Christian views) being pushed in congress. Also, I live in a place where Christianity reigns supreme and law makers are always trying to find ways to push laws that they say are inspired by Gawd.

Agnostic Atheist. As stated int he first question.

No. I don't want a ferret.

Atheistic.

I chose this because I don’t believe in gods in general.

Hmmm… I do because I think science is more believable than religion as it states on facts.

No, because everyone has the right to believe in whatever they want.

My father’s side is atheistic and my mother’s side is Christian (I think). They don’t think anything about it really, it’s your choice to belief in what you want.

I always believed in the current one.

No, it does not affect them in any way as I’m a pretty open-minded person.

I won’t be able to change them as it’s just the way I am.

No, never. It doesn’t matter which circumstances.

I’m not really into politics so I don’t have an opinion on this.

Agnostic.

Sheldon-peace-out.gif

Christianity. I don't identify with any particular denomination, but I've spent most of my life in baptist churches.

I was born into a baptist home.

Very strongly.

Sort of. I'm cynical of evangelists, believing they make Christianity look uncool and undesireable. The trick to spreading Chrsitianity is simple: Inform people of Christian beliefs, make being Christian look fulfilling, and generally be a good person in the name of Christ.
There are people who consider Christianity evil, but still love Christ because they cannot deny his goodness. We must use this effect to our advantage.

They mostly accept my views. My siblings aren't fond of my views on Evolution, however (I'm a theistic evolutionist).

Oh, I've been tweaking and refining my religious ideals for the past 8 years or so.

I get along fine with Atheists (Antitheists, however, not so much), and I've had at least one Hindu friend.

I wouldn't want them to.

I'm of the opinion that all who fight for human rights fight for God.

For more a "religious-speific" answer: I would support violence against any group which commits genuine acts of religious persecution, such as North Korea, ISIS, and nearly all Islamic Terrorism.

They do. My politics are based on my ethics, which are based on religion. For example, I consider totalitarianism to be a form of idolatry.
Likewise, I believe that human rights are given to all humanity by God. Therefore, all states which infringe on human rights are heretical.

Having said that, my political views are also based on a metaphysical trichotomy, similar to Bhuddism (I think. It was some Asian religion). I believe that maintaining a balance of "mind, body, soul" translates to seperation of "Church, State, and Business", though I believe all must service God in some manner (Therefore, I'm a Conservative).

A business services God by keeping people busy and out of poverty.

A state upholds God's law.

A church spreads God's word.

Gnostic, but I don't consider myself to be very fundementalist.

Yay! A Ferret!

Atheist.

As for not prescribing to any specific religion and their tenets: personally, I see most religious institutions as nigh on fraudulent, or at the very least fraught with contradictions and hypocrisy. By a religious institution, I mean things like the Catholic Church or Church of England, or equivalent, and by extension those institutions' interpretation of their religion.
As for why I lack faith in any way, shape, or form (or in other words the "well obviously the Bible is full of crap but you can still believe in God" approach), I believe quite strongly in the "burden of proof". I've never seen any convincing evidence or explanation for the existence of a higher power, and so I don't accept it as truth or believe in it.

Depends how one takes it. I'm actually a fairly spiritual person - I do have some idea of the concept of the soul, and in a sort of hippie-ish way have a sense of spiritual connection with the rest of the world and the people around me. Some would say that's not exactly a hardline atheist's view, so you could say I'm only an atheist by technicality.
The word by definition means a lack of faith in any God or gods, though, and in that case I'm strongly atheistic.

Not really. I think people should believe whatever they want to, and whatever they need to to be happy and be a good person. Religion and faith are extremely positive influences in some people's lives, and in that case I support them - I only oppose forcing one's beliefs onto others. I take a pretty harsh stance on this - I legitimately believe that it's okay for someone to be, for example, homophobic if it's in line with what they believe, and only take issue when they then try to force the consequences of that view on others (e.g. being against gay marriage, or shouting abuse at gay people, or whatever.)
The only time I would attempt to get involved in someone else's beliefs would be if I thought their faith was deeply damaging to them. In that case, I wouldn't try to "convert them to atheism", but would probably talk to them and try to help them get to a healthier perspective, even if they're still part of the same religion or something.

My father does. My mother is sort of vaguely "Christian" - she believes in a God in a way that's closer to the Judaic religions than any other, but completely rejects any church/religious institution who tries to tell her what she should/shouldn't believe or has tenets that she disagrees with.
Both of them couldn't care less what I believe, as long as it isn't hurting me. They completely respect my right to believe as I choose.

I've been an atheist for most of my life. I flirted with Christianity for a short time, mainly, I think, because I was very, very depressed and miserable and lonely at the time and out of desperation I clasped to something that told me I was loved. I needed that belief at that time, and it helped, and I have no qualms about that fact. My return to atheism was, I think, driven by a new stability in my life and a recognition that I'd never really believed in God, but had really wanted to.

Not even a tiny bit. As I said above, I have no issues with anybody's beliefs as long as they don't force those beliefs on others. Of course that's somewhat theoretical, as someone who fucking hates women or black people or gays is unlikely to just keep it to themselves. But I have had close friends who were religious, who disapproved of homosexuality and saw it as a sin, but who respected other people's right to make their choices.

They might change. If God turned up on my doorstep tomorrow, my views would obviously change. And I don't presume to know what the rest of my life will be like at the age of 18. I keep an open mind - I'm pretty much just atheist by default because I haven't been convinced to believe in anything else.

Very unlikely. @Limeypanda made an excellent point I hadn't thought of, though.
I believe everyone should have the right to pursue whatever faith/moral system they want to as long as it does not impede on another's right to do so. As such, if someone were to attempt to stifle my belief system as immoral, or wrong, or unnatural, I would naturally rebel against that. My belief system is an expression of my right to free speech, and under extreme enough circumstances I could see myself committing an act of violence to protect my beliefs.
I can see myself physically defending myself or doing something violent, were there some mass attempt to extinguish my right to my religious views, but I don't know if that counts as "in the name of" my religion - I would do the same if an attempt were made to quash any faith or religion. It's about the right, rather than "for my belief".

Not at all. I'm British, our political sphere is actually removed from religion, like it's supposed to be over the pond but isn't.

Agnostic. I do not believe that the existence, or lack thereof, of some higher power can ever be proved or disproved. It's a metaphysical question, beyond the ability of scientists or philosophers to answer.

catholic

"you're a Catholic the moment Dad caaaaaaaaaaaame!"

"I'm a Roman Catholic. And have been since before I was born."

"And the one thing they say about Catholics is, they'll take you as soon as you're warm!"

"You don't have to be a six footer! You don't have to have a great brain! You don't have to have any clothes on. You're a Catholic the moment Dad came!"

"There are Jews in the world, there are Bugghists. There are Hindus and Mormons and then there those that follow Mohammed, but! I've never been one of them."

"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great, if a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate!"

"Hindu, Taoist, Mormon, spill theirs just anywhere, but God loves those who treat their semen with more care."

"Let the heathens spill theirs on the dusty ground, God shall make them pay for each sperm that can't be found!"

"....the moment Dad came!"

".....the moment Dad came!"

Brought to you by Monty Python!

Atheist-Agnostic

I was raised in a household that never had religious leanings, and my family is largely the same way (although my aunt and cousins on my dad's side are pretty into the new age spirituality). My parents told me that they believed that my sister and I should grow up with the opportunity to chose what we believe for ourselves, and for that I'm very thankful for them. I went from pretty staunchly atheist before feeling that was kind of a combative stance to have, especially since there was no real way of knowing one way or another if God (Gods?) existed. I pretty much operate under the philosophy that I'm open to religion, I would just like to see some tangible evidence of a god's existence one way or another for myself. My sister became Christian and raises her sons that way, and I am genuinely happy she's found faith on her own.

A resounding "meh."

It's hard to have staunch views about something that you're pretty open to discussion about and are just waiting for some kind of divine sign to validate any particular faith.

Not at all! About the closest I come to that is sharing my perspective, as I'm doing now, and putting forth that maybe all faiths are valid to some degree and may not be mutually exclusive. It's nicer to think that than outright saying somebody's right or wrong, especially since I don't have proof of any of it.

I'm pretty sure my parents are atheists, or at least non-practicing Christians. When I had to ask when what their denomination was when I was in the military, they both basically said "Just say United." They're very accepting of whatever my sister and I do and don't believe.

I was always an atheist, also when I was younger I had a tangible idea what God was and I "prayed" once or twice for trivial shit, like getting a toy for Christmas or whatever. As I matured, I kind of shifted to agnostic like I mentioned earlier. Open to the idea of God, or any god for that matter, I just have to see some kind of miracle that's not easily quantifiable via science. Then I'll reevaluate my relationship with religion.

Nope! I have friends from all sorts of religions and creeds. I'm actually quite interested in hearing them talk about it, and I respect their faiths and how it's a part of them. It only is an issue if you let it be, you know what I mean?

I'm always up for being proven wrong or being shown something new. If that something new happens to be a religion that speaks to me on a spiritual level, then so be it.

A part of me loves the whole idea of Neo-Germanic Heathenism, but outside of a passing interest, I don't really have any strong feelings for it.

While I don't doubt I have the potential to commit violence against another human being for a few reasons, religion or differing beliefs isn't one of them. An exception to that would be violent religious extremists who, I feel, aren't representative of their faith but are rather the product of a number of awful ingredients. They want to kill people like me for not believing in their god, and that puts me in a position where if it ever came down to it, I'd definitely fight back.

I believe strongly in the separation of church and state. Laws and government decisions should not factor in religious values, but rather rational ideas that embody the best interests of the people at large. I'm a staunch defender of people's right to religion, but on the same token I don't want religion dictating the direction of my country.

Agnostic Atheist.

cuttlefish1.jpg

Has a cuttlefish.

Many hopes that none of this is offensive in any way...

I voted Atheist, but I call myself Apatheist. (Should have voted 'other' but oh well.)

At some point in life I stopped caring about religion, I guess. As well, I'm one of those assholes who will deny something's existence until I have proof. I'll continue to be indifferent until I'm given a reason not to be.

I feel this way towards religion, gods, afterlife, etc. as a whole. So much that I wave off the people who want to start debates with me, 'cause I don't see the point of it. And, I believe that morals exist within us, and only us. There's no higher power influencing that, nor should there be. That's how I've always felt, anyway. :]

Pretty strongly.

Tch, no. I don't like people doing that to me, so why would I do that to them? o__o

I don't know any member of my family who shares in my beliefs. A great many of them are Christian in some way. Some of them disagree with my views and are disappointed in me, others don't care enough to bring it up. It's mostly the grandparents that shake their heads at me.

I was Lutheran up until around middle school. It's the belief system my mom followed, so I did as well. If I remember right, I just got tired of my questions not getting answered. I recall times in my childhood where I'd be expecting a factual response, but would get some sort of cryptic sounding answer that really didn't click with me. The more this occurred, the more my beliefs thinned until they were nothing. I also couldn't agree with a lot of what people call 'sins' and that committing them dooms you to hell or some equivalent of it.

Separately from this, my faith just...died. I dealt with 17 years of abuse from varied people and continually felt lonely because of it. Praying seemed to do no good. It didn't matter how good I was trying to be and how hard I was trying to work, I just kept getting hurt. I was hopelessly trapped until I seized an opportunity to leave it all behind me for good. I did that on my own without any deity's help.

Nope. Believe in whatever you wanna believe in. Also, I won't care if they consider my beliefs a good reason to not interact with me anymore. I'm sure they'll meet someone else they can get along with a lot better.

They could change someday, although I doubt it. I think the most I'd do is take an interest in a religion that my son thinks highly of, to be supportive and help him learn. I won't convert for him but he can trust that I'll go with him to gatherings, ceremonies, church services, all that stuff. Only after I teach him that what he does should be to make HIM happy, not anyone else, not even gods.

Hah, no. Many things will get violent reactions out of me, but religion is not one of them. Unless it's a case where someone's using the "Because God told me to" excuse, then I might get verbally aggressive.

I'm as apathetic towards politics as I am religion, so meh.

Going to say neither, because of the 'don't care' attitude I uphold. Neither term would suit me, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, I'm allergic to the dander. ;__; /trades the ferret for a pet iguana instead

1--What is your (non-)religious affiliation?
Christian - Baptist (mostly)

2--Why did you choose this belief over others? Is there any particular reason, or were you born into it?
Technically I was born in to it, HOWEVER, I went through a period of searching and researching various other faiths, and questioning if what I believed was my faith, and came to the conclusion that I do in fact believe in Christ

3--How strongly do you believe in your (non-)religious belief?
Very

4--Do you actively attempt to convert others to your beliefs? Why or why not?
Not really, but If the topic comes up I will discus what I believe freely, however I prefer to let the other person start that conversation. There's no point in talking about it if the other person isn't even interested.

5--Do your parents/family share the same (non-)religious beliefs? Do they approve of your choice, disapprove, or feel nothing about it?
My family is a mix of people as far as i can tell. Among those that are Christian there's some theological and doctrinal differences I think.

6--Did you always believe in your present (non-)religious belief, or did you convert later on in life? If so, what did you used to belief? Why did your beliefs change?
See question 2.

7--Do your (non-)religious beliefs impact your ability to hold stable relationships (friendships, romances, et cetera) with others who do not share the same beliefs?
I have lost friends over their disliking my Christian status, and yes it hurts. (and yes that was the stated reason by the other person)
But at the same time I have friends with vastly different beliefs than my own and My faith has allowed me to move past the hard times and cling to those friendships when I might have otherwise been inclined to walk away.
Christ said to love your neighbor as yourself and Love leaves no room for using faith as an excuse not to try.

Relationship wise - yes I am picky because of my faith, but that's largely because my faith is a large part of my life and I don't see how a relationship could work well if that wasn't something we shared.

8--Do you believe you could change your views now, or are they set in stone, never to be changed again?
The older I get and the more I learn, the stronger that faith becomes. But I would say it's a good thing because the stronger my faith and the more I learn, the more open and loving I've learned to be as well. My faith in Christ has stretched me and grown me in a way I don't think anything else ever could, and I don't see myself giving it up.

9--Would you ever commit an act of violence in the name of your (non-)religious beliefs? If so, under what circumstances or conditions?
No.

10--Do your (non-)religious views influence your political views? If so, how significantly?
My moral code has roots in my faith and that is what influences my political views. Politics, however, tends to have a lot of gray area and every time I think I've found a good solution to the current question a new story appears to change things, so I prefer to stay out of politics If I can.

11--Would you consider yourself agnostic or gnostic?
Gnostic

It's a mix of many religions that make sense to me.

It just made sense to me when I put together different religions and I like it ever since.

Strongly enough that I am willing to tell you.

No, because it's pointless to convert someone that believes or doesn't believe in a God or Gods.

Most of my family don't know of my belief, but I think that they will be alright with it. As long as I believe in a God, then I am fine (by the way, my family is Christian)

Most of the time I do, but when I find out new things I change my belief. It's the same ideal as it was when I first came up with it.

No? I don't use my beliefs to control my relationships.

Yes, I hope that it does change my views.

No, that's just dumb as fuck.

Not really.

Gnostic all the way!

I think that people should be able to judge and comment on the person's beliefs, so they can improve at the end. If I wanted to judge someone's beliefs (like an atheist), then I should be able to.

And I am kinda sad/shock that we have too many atheists and agnostic on here and not enough religious people.

So he can't even claim he was being truthful with his incendiary comment?

Wow...

There are too many minorities in Rare's waterpark....

So he can't even claim he was being truthful with his incendiary comment?

Wow...

There are too many minorities in Rare's waterpark....
Maybe he only means the Christian ones? because apparently Pastafarian don't count. ; _ ;

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.