Rekindling Interest

X

Xindaris

Original poster
Okay, so those of you who actually keep track of me at all around here might have noticed a general decline in my RPing energy, activeness, maybe even skill over the past, like, year or so. I pretty much know what the problem is, and I happen to know it's probably a problem that is mutually increased by my lack of activity in writing.

Let me put this simply: I haven't read a single book, not a single sentence, in about a year now that wasn't a textbook. And I'm really not sure why. One of my siblings lent me a pile of books when I went off to start my first semester of college, and I've barely touched any of them. I know that I enjoy reading. I know that I will probably like at least some of these books. But I can't seem to get myself away from other stuff, even when I've got lots of free time, and just make myself READ.

I refrained from putting this in the counseling section because it just doesn't seem like the kind of serious business that goes on in there, but I guess I do need help of some sort. It was also becuase, I'm not even confident that other people can help one with a weird problem like this. Just, if you have any suggestions or off-the-wall comments on the matter, please post them?

OH MAN. I HAVE THAT EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

I've noticed the more I read books, the more I want to WRITE.

But I went through this long period where I never read any books for awhile. And I'm still not having enough time/attention span to sit down and read like I used to. I've got tons of cool books on the shelf that I haven't touched yet.

And it's not even because I don't have the time to read. I'm just not MAKING the time to sit down and read. Once I get started, I can't stop reading the book. But just that one motion of settling down is such a pain in the ass.

...I have no idea how to fix the problem, though! Just gotta sit and read and ignore everything else, I guess. .__.;

I know your pain...I've been the same the last four years of my life. :(

I've just recently started to somewhat pick up recreational books to read (mostly stuff i've already read though lol)

At first I had to sort of will myself to do it, but then I was bored one day and had free time. Instead of turning on the TV or getting on my computer I grabbed an old book I'd read and knew I'd enjoyed before. I grabbed my headphones to so that I could sit down and read without thinking really much about TV and such because if I listen to music then I tend to focus more at the tasks I'm doing. It was nice to actually start reading again. I was a slow reader because my brain was trying to process everything (instead of my usual quick skimming of pages for text books) but I got back into the flow of it.

So perhaps just take some of that free time and just find a nice quiet place where you can be alone to focus on the book. Don't have a lot of distractions around either ^^

I've been having this problem as well. It's really just a matter of mustering up the willpower to make the first move, turn the first page.

Location plays a big role though. I'm more apt to get distracted if I'm reading in my room than if I'm reading in a car or something like that.

So maybe try reading in a vehicle, bathroom, somewhere boring where you can get away with it... like a class or something? Obviously someplace to your best judgment.

Perhaps if you always have a book on you, you'll find yourself in a situation where you want something to focus on, and there you'll have it. :P

This is funny, I've just had the opposite experience. I just started reading this big book called 'Shantaram', cool and funny story about......anyways, it keeps me hooked. And I've never really read books. So it's a new experience to me.

At first I thought it would be best to move this thread to counselling since you are asking for advice, but if you want to keep it here, then thats okay.

Opposite problem here, too. Recently, I got off a three year-long reading/writing/rping deprevation. Now to balance out the stress I get from trying to find a new job/school/etc. I'm rping and plotting to a point where it's probably obnoxious.

What's happenin' with you is pretty normal. Sounds like you're in college and have a lot of reading to do. It's not unusual for students to feel a 'burn out,' on reading; in fact, it's a good way to use that pent up energy you get from sitting and studying to go out and explore! Your love for reading and writing will never go away, and when you get to a place where you want it to occupy more of your time, it won't take you long to get back in the swing of things.

Just think of this as your life balancing itself out, and discovering new and interesting things. :D

And not to say that during this period you still won't read and write for pleasure, just maybe not as much.

Wow, I thought it would be a lot more rare than that..but I guess this is a site where a lot of the kind of people who would actually be worried about themselves not reading would show up..?
But anyway, thanks for the encouragement. :) It's good to know that it isn't a unique case of stubbornly disagreeable brain syndrome or something.

The reason I didn't put this in counseling (and I'm perfectly happy to leave it to moderator judgment whether it's a good one or not) is because I'm not having the kind of major, life- or health- (or mental health-) threatening problems that seem to generally be put there, and I'd feel kind of like some character in a tragic war play complaining about losing a quarter were this topic among those topics.