Regios Quick Reaction Force (Two-character pilot mech RP - Interstellar Pacific Rim-style)

How should we pair characters?

• One player plays both pilots of a Regios

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Mythy Pairs (Rank Regios classes 1-4 per pilot)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Mythy the Dragon-Wolf

Hopeless Romantic
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Hello! A quick note about this RP
You MUST play two characters.

With that said, here is the idea!
----------------

Regios is the name given to the giant bipedal machines created by the Humans and the Rani. They are created to battle Reus, kaiju-like creatures who chased both Humans and Rani away from their home systems. The Rani are an alien race (the only alien race known) who have a tail that can interface with their specially-made technology.

Regios are piloted by a pair of pilots - one Human, and one Rani. The human controls the body and weapons of the Regios, where the Rani plugs directly into the core. Assisted by an onboard AI, the Rani monitors sensor data, Regios status, communications, and all other data. What is important for the human to know, they relay. What would be a distraction they handle themselves. These pilots are matched through intensive tests and data, being partnered from the first day of academy to the last day of their lives.

The Regios are created from four pieces: The fusion core, the skeleton, the nanotech shell, and the outerwear. The fusion core is the engine which also powers a wellspring of smart nanotech. The nanotech, during a pilot pair's time at academy, will coat the skeleton (and weapon skeletons) in a shape and form that best suits their style. This shell is then carved out to include wiring, ammo, sensors, and everything else. Then is added on a set of custom-painted armor plates, which molds to the shape of the durable nanotech.

There are four playable classes of Regios, classified into five subclasses each. They are:
Brawler - focus on melee and mobility
Defender - focus on armor and heavy weapons
Sparrow - focus on aerial superiority
Sniper - focus on long-range and vertical movement

------------------

Each player will play a Human pilot and a Rani pilot.
The PCs in this RP will be members of a QRF - Quick Reaction Force - that travels to different colonies of the Human-Rani coalition. They will do their best to protect these colonies and, if unable to drive off the Reus, defend the evacuation.

If you are interested, please vote on how best to split up characters and drop a post below stating your vote, interest, and any questions or comments you have!

Thank you for your time!​

Hi, Mythy! I'm here for it.

To anyone else, hi. Mythy and I have been working on the lore together for quite a bit, so I'm kind of co-author on lore. That being said, Mythy is still the go-to on story and plot. I can answer questions as much as Mythy, but he should remain the primary source to go to for questions.

I'm interested! I know for sure I'd like playing a sniper~! That's my thing for some reason! Count me in! I was wondering if the world is a modern world that's falling apart (Like Fallout 4 where are the places are kind of makeshift) or what's the world actually like?

I'm interested! I know for sure I'd like playing a sniper~! That's my thing for some reason! Count me in! I was wondering if the world is a modern world that's falling apart (Like Fallout 4 where are the places are kind of makeshift) or what's the world actually like?
It's interstellar, the coalition has built out quite a bit in terms of Colonization. So the QRF utilizes FTL to preempt, defend, and drive off Reus attacks

Which I suppose means we have a number of differently sized settlements, but generally the same tech.

Does that make sense?

It's interstellar, the coalition has built out quite a bit in terms of Colonization. So the QRF utilizes FTL to preempt, defend, and drive off Reus attacks

Which I suppose means we have a number of differently sized settlements, but generally the same tech.

Does that make sense?
Oh! That makes a lot of sense, I'm assuming they have a base of some kind then~! Yeah I'm down it reminds me a lot of the anime Gurren Lagann~

Does that make sense?
Oh! That makes a lot of sense, I'm assuming they have a base of some kind then~! Yeah I'm down it reminds me a lot of the anime Gurren Lagann~
I'm thinking they have a custom FTL-capable ship which is their mobile home base

Does that make sense?
I'm thinking they have a custom FTL-capable ship which is their mobile home base
Okay~! Thank you, could I go ahead and plan my character?

@Kyatto

I wouldn't mind if you make a bit of a concept for your two characters. But I would try not to go too in-depth yet because if we end up doing pairs with other people's characters, then there may need to be a compromise

@Kyatto

I wouldn't mind if you make a bit of a concept for your two characters. But I would try not to go too in-depth yet because if we end up doing pairs with other people's characters, then there may need to be a compromise
Reasonable, I'll go work on them then~!

@Kyatto

Okay! Any ideas, thoughts, questions we can talk about?

@Kyatto

Mmm... Not sure but I have a basic idea for my character? A sniper who has a really bad desperation to live he lets his missions/jobs consume him and he comes off as a very quiet, aloof dude.

Also, what would the plot be?

@Kyatto

Mmm... Not sure but I have a basic idea for my character? A sniper who has a really bad desperation to live he lets his missions/jobs consume him and he comes off as a very quiet, aloof dude.

Also, what would the plot be?
Well, at least at the start the plot would be as said. QRF going around and protecting colonies.

Also, do keep in mind that in the Regios Academy, pilot pairs are trained together, live together, and are generally taught that if it comes to you, or a boat of civilians taking an attack - you take it.

The setup sounds a lot like that of Five Star Stories, with a human pilot and an android systems operator who interfaces with the mech (which is also semi-sentient). Did this draw any inspiration from it or is it a case of parallel evolution? Either way, I'm game. My suggestion would be that each player plays one human and one Rani but they're each paired with a character from a different player.

this definitely seems interesting, and also makes me think of Darling in the Franxx. I'd be up for it too.

First primary question is that since you mentioned that 2 different 'alien species' (Human and Rani) got driven out of their respective home systems, does this mean that they're both coexisting in a different star system that's now also become a target of the Reus? In extension: are there settlements that aren't on the primary planet, such as on moons or man-made satellite civilizations?

Second question: you mentioned how the Regios shell slowly covers the skeleton over the course of the pilots' time in academy to fit their style, but how exactly are the specifics of this measured if they don't already have something to pilot during school? (assumption pulled from the statement that the tech is added to a Regios after its shell has been formed and subsequently carved out.) Or are there training Regios designed for school use to gather this information?

As for opinions on play-style; personally I can see the merit of both choices, and am having a hard time deciding if I want to RP both characters of one mech or a character for two separate mechs. Like, I don't want to spend a bunch of RP-time just RPing with myself, but I also don't want the teams to be out of sync due to lack of communication between RPers. That said, we could easily just open a Discord or something to remedy that, but idk. It would also be easier in a way if a single RPer handled all stuff in a single mech post-wise. That said, I kinda want to be a Sniper and I kinda want to be a Sparrow too, so I guess I lean a bit more towards each RPer doing a character for 2 different pairs.

Did this draw any inspiration from it or is it a case of parallel evolution?
Not sure what five-star stories is, so probably the latter. I think I first made this when Pacific Rim (the first movie) came out.

My suggestion would be that each player plays one human and one Rani but they're each paired with a character from a different player.
That is the idea. :) Every person plays one human and one Rani. The poll here is asking how to split the two characters up - do I make a list that people sign up to be on, or do I pair up compatible pilots together? Or something else?

First primary question is that since you mentioned that 2 different 'alien species' (Human and Rani) got driven out of their respective home systems, does this mean that they're both coexisting in a different star system that's now also become a target of the Reus? In extension: are there settlements that aren't on the primary planet, such as on moons or man-made satellite civilizations?
Okay so. Without trying to get too deep into lore that characters wouldn't know - both species' home systems were attacked a time after they started colonising outside said home system. Both Human and Rani fled these attacks (not all, just a respectably-sized group) and ended up meeting. They form a new civilization in a new system, and then also have been steadily expanding outward from this home system a good amount of time before the events of this RP.

Second question: you mentioned how the Regios shell slowly covers the skeleton over the course of the pilots' time in academy to fit their style, but how exactly are the specifics of this measured if they don't already have something to pilot during school? (assumption pulled from the statement that the tech is added to a Regios after its shell has been formed and subsequently carved out.) Or are there training Regios designed for school use to gather this information?
Simulator computers. The two pilots train in a simulation of battle - first it begins with a simulated "starter" Regios of each subclass, and this data is fed to the wellspring which allows it to form the shell. As that occurs, data is also harvested from the Regios and fed into the simulation computer, meaning that the simulator eventually is running the generally same Regios. Once everything is hollowed out, wired up, and armed, then they can begin live testing - which is either actually using the Regios in battles vs Simulated Reus, or immobilizing the Regios and making that a simulation computer. If that makes sense?

As for opinions on play-style; personally I can see the merit of both choices, and am having a hard time deciding if I want to RP both characters of one mech or a character for two separate mechs. Like, I don't want to spend a bunch of RP-time just RPing with myself, but I also don't want the teams to be out of sync due to lack of communication between RPers. That said, we could easily just open a Discord or something to remedy that, but idk. It would also be easier in a way if a single RPer handled all stuff in a single mech post-wise. That said, I kinda want to be a Sniper and I kinda want to be a Sparrow too, so I guess I lean a bit more towards each RPer doing a character for 2 different pairs.
Yes, this discussion is exactly why I made the poll instead of just making a decision myself. There are virtues and pitfalls to both options.

It's also the reasoning for every player having a human and a Rani. The Rani has an important role in combat, but they're much more of the advisor role - the human is the one moving the actual bot (with their own body I should explain. The Rani has a seat, the human has a standing harness) so if someone only played a Rani, then they'd be a bit bored during combat perhaps. Also, two Characters each ensures we have enough characters for any number of Regios.

The inter-player communication though is also an important aspect should we go for a player playing in two pairs. Just like the pilots need to communicate and trust, so do the players.

Does that all make sense?

makes sense to me!

Just because I stan it so hard, Five Star Stories is a classic mecha manga/anime made by Mamoru Nagano, the lead mecha designer for Zeta Gundam, who also did Brain Powerd and Gothicmade. He draws beautiful mecha and characters, and the story is beyond epic.

Morning.

Had to sleep, but see Mythy's answered all questions fine. I would add that there are in fact several systems under human/rani control. Not a lot, but more than just one shared system. Maybe a couple dozen? We don't have names for worlds yet, but if Mythy likes the idea your backgrounds can be from different places, with systems further from the core being more prone to attack. You all still received training on Altora, though, as that's home of the Regios academy.

@Ariel I've never heard of Five Star Stories, but I loved Gundam as a kid. As Mythy pointed out this is very heavily inspired by Pacific Rim, but there is probably some Gundam influence here too. I've suggested to Mythy multiple times that the culture of the rani/human alliance should be very militaristic - perhaps bordering on fascist like Starship Troopers - because of the constant threat of the Reus. We've already created propaganda in universe, with a cartoon depicting the fictional adventures of a QRF team very much like the one we'd be playing as.