Red, Right Hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was natural in a big city like New York, that some crimes of a magical nature would take place. Trolls under bridges snatching cars by night, vengeful ghosts slaughtering victims, vampires and fae who snuck and snatched people off the streets. It was crimes like these, for the unknown that the Special Division was born.

A collective of cops, given these hopeless cases and sent out without expectation they'd actually accomplish anything. None of them were Moonlit Folk, but all had experience with the supernatural and even hired a few consultants to assist. Such as Sargent Maur here, a former lycanthrope victim. At any rate, it went a long way towards the value of an open mind as he listened very carefully before nodding.

"I see. Perhaps it was his way of telling who his killer was?"

Glancing at the book, he frowned slightly.

"Though if our killer is Red Death, I think we might need a bit more then our current department resources. Did your teacher have any enemies you could think of?"

To your memory, no. He was an amiable man in life, seemingly incapable of offending anyone....Which made his death so strange. Who would gain to kill someone like him? Except...

The magic protection on his office and the Black Hound guardian he had appointed.

That didn't feel like someone without enemies.

@Hospes

Swallowing hard as Siege replied, Aralyn could only offer a small nod, tapping her fingers against the sides of her mug. "It would be plausible, sir," she answered, softly. "I don't know what Red Death means, but I know that whoever- or whatever -did this used dark magic... A strong sort, too. Illegal and sickening," came her addition to her prior words, with the Baku hoping she at least sounded as though gaining confidence. "It isn't.. much, but that's a small start, right?" Tch. A 'small start' was nothing. They needed more, and Aralyn was terrified that she wouldn't be able to provide.

Trying to shake off those negative thoughts, the blonde took a sip of her hot chocolate, the warm liquid flowing down her throat providing at least slight relaxation. She needed to focus - she'd be even more useless if she didn't do so. So when the man asked whether she thought her teacher had enemies, the answer came easier than she thought it would've. Her brain went on autopilot, and she hardly even thought of the words as they poured from her mouth. "Not that I know of. But when another student and I went to check out his office to see if he was there, there was an enchantment protecting it, and a Black Hound guarding the area atop that," she practically recited. "He's either got some important research or something wanting him out of the picture."

@Saint Guillotine

Siege listened carefully, before nodding.

"Red Death in the story, was a relentless figure who pursued a man who thought himself free from Death itself, but to no avail. Perhaps it was just a touch of drama, or a warning from the good professor himself. As to the latter- You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I will be blunt, our presence in regards to your world is slim. We operate at the fringes, using mundane techniques and working with those who either do not look down on us, or have the same goals in mind. Mundane or magical, a murder is a murder. I can give you some authority to help us, to act as our go-between in worlds. If of course, you choose to accept? I will not hold it against you if you say no."

@Hospes

Siege listened carefully, before nodding.

"Red Death in the story, was a relentless figure who pursued a man who thought himself free from Death itself, but to no avail. Perhaps it was just a touch of drama, or a warning from the good professor himself. As to the latter- You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I will be blunt, our presence in regards to your world is slim. We operate at the fringes, using mundane techniques and working with those who either do not look down on us, or have the same goals in mind. Mundane or magical, a murder is a murder. I can give you some authority to help us, to act as our go-between in worlds. If of course, you choose to accept? I will not hold it against you if you say no."

@Hospes
If a bit overdramatic, the story made sense. And if there was anything Aralyn knew, it was that there were in fact creatures who would likely do the exact same in the moonlit world. After all, she ran into killers, malevolent spirits, and tricksters all of the time. It was a living, more or less, guarding people from the things. Her purpose, for those in the world that believed in such a thing.

So, as Siege went on and requested she offered her assistance, well... Aralyn knew what she was going to say, despite the fact that she was absolutely horrified by the idea.

"I'll... I'll do whatever I can to help, sir," she stated, managing to keep the shakiness in her voice to a minimum. Even though she had good intentions, the blonde almost felt.. Ashamed. What would he say when he found out she was useless at fighting? That all she could really do was put up barriers against evil? She needed training in fighting, and she knew it. Yet, she didn't say anything, too timid to admit this. But, suddenly, something else came to mind. Something that piqued her curiosity and made her tilt her head slightly at the man in front of her. "..Are you the priest the officers were talking about, sir?"

@Saint Guillotine

He nodded in satisfaction, writing something on a notepad before handing it over. Inscribed would be a signed note, a temporary placeholder till he could get a temporary license for her in her new role. At her question, he shook his head.

"No, its just what we call our regular consultant. He works more with Officer Celadon."

Around that point, a text message alert came to Aralyn's phone.

Hey, this is Ella. Come back to the school, I got something to show you!

@Hospes

He nodded in satisfaction, writing something on a notepad before handing it over. Inscribed would be a signed note, a temporary placeholder till he could get a temporary license for her in her new role. At her question, he shook his head.

"No, its just what we call our regular consultant. He works more with Officer Celadon."

Around that point, a text message alert came to Aralyn's phone.

Hey, this is Ella. Come back to the school, I got something to show you!

@Hospes

Hesitantly accepting the note with an awkward and uncertain smile, Arra let her eyes glance the paper over, pursing her lips as she did so. Her heart pounded at the idea of being an assistant to the force, even if only for one case. It was intimidating and terrifying, and she couldn't help but wonder how often she'd have to work. Surely not often enough that she'd miss classes... Right?

Giving a slight bow of her head to voice her understanding, Arra let the info sink in, considering this info for a bit. So, this 'priest' was a consultant? In any case, it was good to hear that she didn't have to be the only one. Maybe Ella could even become one, too...

And speak of the mage.

Abruptly, a simple few plain 'beep's emanated from Aralyn's pocket, obviously startling her - so much so that she jolted slightly. She hardly even recognized the sound. After all, those who requested her services usually called, and no one else ever talked to her... Until now, anyways. Offering the siege a sheepish look, Ara rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly, using her free hand to grab her phone. "A-ah, sorry.. Just a moment.." Flipping open the old-fashioned, clearly outdated device, the Baku opened the text and read it over in silence before her expression grew more serious.

Slowly, her pale eyes drifted up to the siege again, her hands falling to her sides after she'd put her phone away. Giving a tight, exhausted smile, the blonde spoke again with a bit more steadiness. "May I be excused, sir? Someone requires me back at the school, and I should likely be going, anyways," she explained. "But I can give you my number, if you'd like. In case anything comes up and you need me."

@Saint Guillotine

Consent was given, Aralyn was given Siege Maur's personal number for emergencies.

With it, should she make any break in the case she'd be able to contact him swiftly.

Back at the school, the office would be the following.

It was a nice office. Somewhat cozy, stocked full with a library of various reference books which made sense. Something about a few varieties of wizard shorted out technology. And from a collectors standpoint, some of these books present might have actually been somewhat valuable to the right person, bound in leather and out in full view. But it wasn't that which brought Aralyn to this place.

It was Ella, seated at a desk with what looked like a planner as she looked up and relaxed as Aralyn came in.

"How did it- No wait, don't tell me just yet. Here, take a look at this."

Showcasing, she explained.

"About a week ago, Professor Dupin made an appointment at noon, set in the Underground subway tunnels. He added to his notes here, that it didn't go as he planned and would need to try other venues. Its the most suspicious thing I could find of recent events, everything else is just school stuff."

She bit her lower lip and explained.

"The reason I was concerned about it was mostly because of what lies beneath. See, my grandmother is an Ex-Warden for the White Council of Wizards and she wants me to follow in her footsteps. Naturally, this involves learning more about New York City then I ever wanted to."

She shuddered, eyes briefly clouded with old pain.

"Underground belongs to the monsters- Those who are too savage for Glamour and too hungry to live in peace with the surface and humanity. Around a couple of years ago, someone took control of them and whipped them into shape but they don't ever come up. What do you think Professor Dupin wanted with them?"

@Hospes

Status
Not open for further replies.