Red Pen Editorial Services

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Minibit, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Red Pen Editorial Services

Are you writing a story or fanfic, and need a Beta Editor to help you polish your work to a high shine? Look no further!

Using the Red Pen Editorial Services, you'll get much more than a spell-checker, I will work with you one-on-one and file by file to help make your story the best it can be, whether you're prepping for a self-publication, or just some nerds on the internet.

The Benefits:
    Red Pen helps you improve
    • Storytelling: let me help guide you through a smooth-flowing plot that avoids plot-holes, tangents, and loose threads to capture and hold your reader's attention and keep them turning pages for more.
    • Characterization: Creating characters is easy; creating likeable, rounded characters with depth and personality is a bit more difficult, and seeing the flaws in your own creations is hard even for professionals; let an outside perspective help you out.
    • Tone: the Red Pen can aid you in maintaining and forming your own personal style and voice for your story
    • Pacing: All the best words mean little if they read too slowly or too quickly for what they're supposed to illustrate; Red Pen makes sure all your scenes read as fast or as slow as they were meant to.
    • Vocabulary: I can aid you in choosing the perfect words to describe your story.
    • Brainstorming: Let me work with you to bust those blocks!
    Your Rights:
    When using the Red Pen Editorial Service, you remain in control of the work, and respect will always be given to your part as the creator. You will always reserve the rights to:
    • Refuse changes
    • End a review cycle on a chapter when you are happy with it, even if I still recommend changes
    • End our partnership at any time
    • Rewrite documents that have already been cleared
    The process:
    Editing with the Red Pen works as follows:
    1. A point of communication is agreed upon, and I review any material already compiled. If one does not already exist, a detailed plot skeleton is constructed
    2. You send the first chapter to be annotated
    3. I read the chapter, and send it back to you with notes*, corrections**, and recommendations***
    4. We discuss the annotations of the document, and revisions are made
    5. The document is sent back for a second round; this process repeats until we are equally satisfied with the product, and you have a complete story so polished your readers need sunglasses!
    *Notes are any comments I have on abstract elements of the product
    **Corrections are changes I may make myself in the cases of errors such as misspellings
    ***Recommendations are comments I will leave highlighting a problem and recommending a change. The reasoning for any change is available upon request

Services we may use:
    • Iwaku's PM/File Upload system
    • Google Drive
    In the first three cases it is recommended the author have a copy of Microsoft Word, or Libre Open Office (freeware), to make use of their annotation features

Fandoms the Red Pen accepts stories for:
    Full List (open)

• Legend of Zelda:
      • Legend of Zelda
      • Adventure of Link
      • Ocarina of Time
      • Majora's Mask
      • The Wind Waker
      • Phantom Hourglass
      • Twilight Princess
    • Harvest Moon:
      • It's a Wonderful Life
      • Another Wonderful Life
      • Sunshine Islands
      • Rune Factory II
    • Pokemon:
      • Gold/HeartGold Silver/Soulsilver
      • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
      • X/Y
      • Anime: Indigo League
      • Anime: Orange Islands
    • Avalon Code
    • Final Fantasy:
      • X
      • Crystal Chronicles
    • FullMetal Alchemist (2002 anime)
    • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood/Manga
    • Death Note (anime/manga)
    • Ouran High School Host Club (anime)
    • Cardcaptor Sakura (anime)
    • Black Butler (anime/manga)
    • Attack on Titan (anime)
    • Chobits
    • Claymore
    • Men in Black

If the Red Pen is right for you, then fill out the submission form and post it in a comment below!

Apply Now!
    Submission form (open)

All fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be filled out. You can change any of the first eight items later on if you need to.

Story Title: (What's it called?)
    Synopsis*: (Describe what your story is about, and what happens in it in 150 words or less)
    Cast: (Please give a brief, personality and story-role based synopsis of the most prominent characters in your story)
    Genre: (What genre best describes your story?)
    Fandom*: (For fanfic; which fandom is this story written for?)

Plot Skeleton
    You may supplement this skeleton with a bullet-points list of the events of your story's chapters, outlining the events of each chapter with no more than 75 words per point
    Introduction*: (What happens to set the events of your story into motion?)
    Rising actions*: (What twists and complications occur as the character(s) work toward resolution?)
    Climax*: (This is where things all come to a head)
    Resolution*: (How is the conflict of the story resolved?)

Current materials*: (What have you written so far? Which chapters are written out, do you have cliff's notes or idea blurbs lying around?)
    Required Reading* Yes/No: (Do you have any supplementary information that I would need to reed first in order to establish understanding before we can work on the story?)

By typing my username below, I signify that I understand and agree to the following:
    • Changes to the material will be called for
    • I will be asked to explain any changes I refuse to implement
    • No comment, critique, or recommendation is intended as a personal attack against myself
    • I will be expected to send revised documents back as promptly as time allows
    • Any document may go through several rounds of annotation and revision before it is cleared
    • Annotated documents may take one to two weeks to send at any given time
    • My submission may be refused for any reason, including time availability, incomplete submission form, or belonging to a fandom that the Red Pen does not edit for
    • If/When my story is published in any form, I will credit the Red Pen Editorial Services as story editor
    • The Red Pen Editorial Services may terminate my service at any time if:
      • Enough changes are refused or ignored as to render the service moot
      • The only changes accepted are to spelling/grammatical errors
      • There is any belligerence or bullying from me, the author
      • Plagiarism is being committed
    Username*:

• Useful x 14
    • Love x 8
    • Like x 3
    • Bucket of Rainbows x 2
    • You Get a Cookie x 1
  2. I do have a question: does the Red Pen Editorial Service cost anything? Or is this something you just happen to enjoy doing in your spare time :)

3. It's a free service. I'm testing it out and if it picks up enough I may start charging a small ($5 or less) fee for the editorial process, with initial assessment and general recommendations still being free.

In that case though, I wouldn't start charging those who started while it was still free :)

4. I should really get started on my story then...

5. Story Title: Tales of Oakwind

Synopsis*: A story about a young girl, and a surprising discovery when the world as she knows it is turned upside down, and the gods themselves are turning against humanity.

Cast:
    Willow: The main protagonist, begins on a journey to try and clear her twin sisters name only to get thrown into a war a millennia old.

Rowan: Willow's twin sister, a seemingly sweet girl who harbors a secret jealousy. Easily corrupted, and one of the main plot driving forces.

Kaden: Captain and soon to be general of the Empire of Regalia's army. Originally tasked with the investigation and arrest of Rowan, but soon becomes a figure of admiration (and perhaps love) for Willow. Honorable, thinks deeply about things, greatly admired by his troops.

Uru: Head of the rebellion, originally found in Empire custody. Highly respected fighter, though perhaps does not have the mind mechanically to head his own rebellion. Charismatic in a quiet way. Relies heavily on his 'council'.

The council: A small group of people that form the driving force of the rebellion against Regalia's 'tyranny'. They provide the technical skills that Uru doesn't have. Logistics, strategy, supply, enemy intelligence, and internal relations.

Damien: Loud-mouthed, flirtatious, arrogant jokester. A direct contrast to his brother, Kai. Becomes a close confidant of Willow's after her escape from Regalia.

Kai: The responsible one of the two, Kai is reserved, thoughtful, and willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goals. Can sometimes appear a bit cold.

Anise: One of the few female fighters in the higher echelons of the rebellion. Sweet, somewhat excitable, and mildly unstable. A fast friend, and has difficulties holding grudges.

Genre: Adult Fantasy Adventure

Fandom*: N/A (original)

Plot Skeleton
    Traditional 'save the world' plot. A protagonist of humble origins, uniquely shaped by seemingly random circumstance to rise to the challenges and obstacles presented to her. Holds a special gift, though the why and the what are not revealed until late in the story's plot.

Introduction*: The story begins in a small town, with relatively small world problems. Willow's sister goes missing after a week where everyone had mysteriously forgotten about her. Rowan's fiancé (a military official) shows up dead, and the newly discovered missing girl is accused. Certain that her sister is innocent, Willow chases after her to try and clear her name.
    • Willow is caught by the investigative unit sent to hold Rowan.
    • Her beliefs start to come into question as she learns more of the story- and as the fogginess of that missing week comes into clarity.
    • Betrayed by her sister, and forced to take Rowan's place.
    • Sentenced to 'death' and whisked away to a camp designed to experiment on compatible 'souls'.
    • Escapes with a small rebel force sent to free the (unknown) head of the rebellion. Unwittingly ends up joining their side.

Rising actions*: The body of the plot mostly consist of realizing the truth behind the war and the abilities they've been granted by the gods.
    • Investigates the secrecy in the higher tiers of the rebellion forces.
    • Finds the ties between Oakwind and Regalia, and the truth behind the start of the hostilities between the two factions.
    • Defects from the Oakwind rebel forces to join Regalia (seemingly)
    • Finally reaches the truth about the gods and their millennia old battles.

Climax*: Preparations for all out war as hostilities escalate. Culminating in one grand battle that threatens to destroy the world itself. The heavens themselves prepare to clash, and the earth prepares to force it's children to start anew.

Resolution*: When Willow fails to stop the war, the gods themselves go to battle. The sides, so long at odds, must be kept in balance. The only way to prevent the destruction of the world, is to right the wrong that started the millennium old war between order and chaos.

Current materials*: I don't have very much written so far- if only because I lost the majority of my work when my old hard drive corrupted. I retain a lot of written material, but it is currently in the process of being re-typed. So far, only the introduction has been thoroughly planned out.

Required Reading* Yes/No: Kind of
    I don't have anything that needs to be read first-hand, though once I manage to get all of my notes uploaded to google drive, it might be necessary to read the 'laws' of humanity such as the magic available in the world and what it can and cannot accomplish. As well as the gods, and their domains, and what 'powers' they can give to their champions.

By typing my username below, I signify that I understand and agree to the following:
    • Changes to the material will be called for
    • I will be asked to explain any changes I refuse to implement
    • No comment, critique, or recommendation is intended as a personal attack against myself
    • I will be expected to send revised documents back as promptly as time allows
    • Any document may go through several rounds of annotation and revision before it is cleared
    • Annotated documents may take one to two weeks to send at any given time
    • My submission may be refused for any reason, including time availability, incomplete submission form, or belonging to a fandom that the Red Pen does not edit for
    • If/When my story is published in any form, I will credit the Red Pen Editorial Services as story editor
    • The Red Pen Editorial Services may terminate my service at any time if:
      • Enough changes are refused or ignored as to render the service moot
      • The only changes accepted are to spelling/grammatical errors
      • There is any belligerence or bullying from me, the author
      • Plagiarism is being committed
    Username*: Kitsunemage

There. I lost a lot of my information in a tragic hard drive failure, but it's allowed me to look back at this really old tale, and realize that a lot of it needed polishing. I'd love the second opinion!

6. Is reserving a spot okay? And what is the limit for the number of services one person can submit? OMG Minibit, this is too good to be true.

7. I'd be happy to take this on :) I will send you a private message to work out the details

There is no "X stories at a time" as each story will be different in pace, and how much time I need to spend on it. I'll lock this topic when I'm not accepting, and open it when I am. The only limit is one story at a time per author.

8. This makes me want to dredge out my old novel and give him a new coat of paint. It's been two years and my writing style has matured a lot since then. I wouldn't mind taking advantage of this service when it gets closer to summer and I have more time on my hands.

9. What if I send you two stories and you can pick on whichever to do first? Like one is a novel and the other one is a light internet novel. Is that okay?

10. I will have no preference between them, so I'd rather you decide on one to submit :)

11. I'll arrange my thoughts into stuff now, thanks!

12. You only do fanfics?

13. Like it says in the first line, I edit original stories as well as fanfic.

I also work with essays, articles, blogs, etc.

14. Do you do prose?

15. Prose is language without metrical structure, like fiction, articles, essays, and blogs. Basically any literature that isn't a poem.

Do you have something you want editing on?

16. Okay. I'll submit one on PMs.

17. Ah, this looks interesting!
    If you can do character history polishes, I would need to send the character and the RP they're in, right?
    I'm horrible at maintaining unity, flow, and sentence structure in my stories.

18. Possibly? Fill out the application form as best you can for this medium and I'll see what I can do :)

19. Minibit, this thing you've got going is so cool. I noticed it while admiring your avatar reading one of your posts. When I came to see what it was, I thought it was super cool. Sadly I'm basically an RP only writer, but I'd love to talk about writing with you sometime. Anyway, stay beautiful, and sorry I don't have an actual thing for you to work on!

#19 ☆Luna☆, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Is this service only for fandom works? I have an original story with 30 pages I've written so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.