Recon One: The Phantom Ghosts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghost returns her nod. How in the hell did they disappear like that?

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Two hours later....

As soon as they touch down and Hawkins Air Base, medics rush out with a gurney and whisk Chip off to the infirmary. The rest of the teams head to the TOC for debriefing.

They don't even step in the door when Battalion Commander Burkhart is yelling at them. "What the HELL happened out there!! You lost our witness, destroyed the most popular cafe in the city, and managed to waste the ammo for a $6 million drone! Explain! NOW!!"

"Sir! They were ready for us! It was an ambush, sir! They blew up the cafe, killing the witness. We were pinned down by turrets, hence the use of the drone. One man from Dusk Team was hit and is on his way to the infirmary, Sir!"

Burkhart turns to Ace. "Well? Is he going to do all the talking?"

Reactions: DJae Writer Chick
Cam didn't partially relax until they reached the base. She relaxed then, but kept her guard up.

Hawk, Halo, and Cam were silent as they followed their leader to debriefing, ready for whatever might happen.

Ace stood calm under the commander's gaze. "Sir, We were able to extract some information from the witness, possibly very vital information, before the enemy attacked and blew the building. Under heave fire by turrents and an RPG, they seemed to know where we would be and when. It's possible the witness worked with the enemy, sir."
He said calmly, careful he was honest and respectful.

"It's possible. Fire Team! Dusk Team! Dismissed." As Ghost, Cam, Ace, and Hawk turn to walk away, he adds, "Not you four."

Cam turns on her heel, facing the commander. Her puzzled expression is hidden behind her mask and glasses, which she had yet to take off. The glasses she almost never went without, but the mask she didn't usually wear on base.

Ace paused and turned, returning to where he'd been standing. What did the commander want them for?

Hawk, surprised he'd been called back, moved to stand next to Cam. He glanced at her, then back to the commander when she gave the slight shake of her head to show she knew nothing as well.

"Follow me." They all follow him into the center.

He takes them into his office and goes around the desk. They all stand at attention in front of him. "At ease. I wanted to congratulate you, Ghost, Ace, on a mission well done."

"Sir, you just yelled at us and said we botched the mission."

"That is semantics, drama for the masses. You all did a job well done. I am planning on starting an elite SEAL team, one only I, the members, and the President know about. We are reinstating the Ghosts."

"Sir, they haven't been active in almost 30 years. Why now?"

"Because we need the best of the best. I and my superior feel that world is in danger. We need men and women of courage to go in and get the job done, no matter the cost. You are the first four candidates. What do you say?"

"I'm in."

"Same here?"

"Cam? Ace?"

Cam have a curt nod, a little interested. "I'm in."
She glanced at Ace, who seemed hesitant. He nodded after a moment.
"Count me in." He said confidently once he made up his mind. "What will happen to the rest of our teams, sir?" He asked calmly, unsure about Chip, Halo and Eagle.

"Don't worry. We will make sure they stay together, but they will be reassigned. You'll see them again, I'm sure. Any questions?"

Ace shook his head, looking to Ghost and Hawk.

Cam shook her head in response. "No sir." She spoke quietly. She was surprised Ace didn't, but said nothing of it.

"Good. Dimissed. Make sure you get something to eat and get some rest."

Ace nodded and turned to leave. Cam turned to Ghost. "What are Hawk's specializations?" She asked curiously, only now letting her crosses arms loosely fall at her sides.

"More like what aren't his specializations. This man is the equivalent of a super soldier. He is a master of any form of combat, both ancient and modern. He can make a weapon out of anything. He is a master of camouflage, and an expert mechanic. I would rather have him by my side than any of the guys on my old Team. I love them all, but Hawk....Hawk is special. He doesn't talk much about his life or anything. I only know him from the Teams. What about you? What are your specializations?"

Cam nodded. "Sniper. I've made almost every shot I could under any pressure and I am an expert in stealth. I've got a knack for sensing danger and I am great under cover." She said calmly. "Explosives and such aren't really my thing, but give me a rifle and I'm set." She said as she shifted on her feet. "What about you?"

"I'm kind of a jack of all trades. I either know it, or if I don't, I pick it up real quick. I got the highest rank in my class BUD/S, sniper school, and sub training. I was in the top five in stealth, assault, medic, and swimming school. I speak five languages English, French, Latin, German, and Arabic. I have the highest confirmed kills in one deployment. That's how I got the name Ghost.

"I was fighting a host of Taliban in Baghdad. Three of the guys on my team got shot within seconds of one another, and I went into a blind rampage. I don't know if it was luck, or divine will, or what, but not a single bullet hit me. By the time I was done, only two were alive. They started calling me 'shabh' , Arabic for 'ghost'. After that, I got other names. 'Mmalak almawt', the Angel of Death. 'Al'iirhab Baghdad', the Terror of Baghdad. All have struck fear into those that hear them.

"And what of Ace?"

Cam watched Ghost intently as she listened. "Ace?.." She couldn't help allowing the faint smile to cross her face. "He's stubborn, for one, but he's very strategic. He's an explosives expert and any gun you give him, if he hasn't already used it, he'll figure it out in under a minute and could compete with anyone, though his favorites are assault rifles. He is more of a leader, playing on his team's strong points to get through a mission, but he tends to stray from the social part of having a team." She said the last part quietly, glancing at the door, her smile gone, despite the fact it was almost invisible behind her own mask. Speaking of masks... "If I may, why do you wear that mask?" She asked curiously, tilting her head a little as she leaned on the wall some.

"C'mon. Let's walk." He starts walking, her keeping pace with him. "Why do I wear the mask? It's a reminder, of what I've lost. I lost my mother in childbirth, and my father was a military man, always on deployment. I never had a true relationship with either of my parents. My brother was killed in Ramadi when his Stryker hit a mine. He never stood a chance. I lost my entire team on a mission in Baghdad in an RPG attack. I barely survived. Why do I wear the mask? When I look in the mirror, and see the mask, It raises the pain of all of those losses, and keeps me motivated, so someone doesn't do the same thing for me. It's sounds cheesy, I know, but it is the way I cope."

He slowly removes the mask, showing her a tan-faced with a scar running from his right temple to his left jaw. "Now. Why do you always wear a mask?"

Cam stood, following close by Ghost's side, listening silently. When Ghost finished, she glanced up at him. "Practability. Keeps dust and blood off my face as well as hiding my identity when on missions." She said as she walked. She seemed to hesitate a moment, then pull her mask down, though leaving her glasses on as she looked up at him with the faintest of smiles. "It's good talking to you."

"Yeah. It seems we are going to be working more closely together, so it's a good thing to get to know one another."

Cam nodded. "You hungry?" She asked curiously, tucking the mask around her neck. She let her arms rest loosely at her side and, though relaxed, she was still alert of their surroundings, like the man who'd been following them. She didn't worry, as he stayed back, but she wondered why he was following.

"Yeah. Lets go get something." He follows her, noting the person folowibg them.

Cam nodded and walked along to the mess hall. She opened the door, glancing behind them temporarily as Ghost walked through before letting the door close. She noticed the man didn't follow them in until they reached the food line.
"He's one of the Tech guys." Cam said quietly, almost to herself, a little confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.