Recomend some anime!

A

Alyssa

Original poster
I really loved Sword Art Online, and I liked Fruits Basket (Though I would have preferred a little more drama in it) and now I'm trying to find something new to watch. I tend to lean more towards fantasy, and I don't like plain romance or romantic comedies, I like there to be at least some level of conflict and drama in it. Any ideas guys?

Watch Nana! Lots of drama!

Reactions: Torsty
Whilst the art-style of a lot of the animu makes me want to tear my fucking hair out in irritation, there's an exception to every rule and some damn good stuff to watch. Can't really help you on the fantastical/romance front, as that ain't really my cuppa, but I've got a few suggestions.

Another
An interesting little horror series set in a small Japanese town, where the classmates of Kōichi Sakakibara all start dying mysterious and gruesome deaths. And there's also the rather creepy student Mei, who cannot be seen by anyone except Kōichi. I've heard a few people compare it to Battle Royale, and whilst I can understand their reasoning it plays out more like a traditional Japanese ghost story, complete with curses, disturbing shenanigans and quite a few excellent TWEEEEEEESTS.

Serial Experiments Lain
A crazy-ass mix-up of cyberpunk, psychological horror and existentialist philosophy, there's kind of a reason the most common word used to describe this series is "weird". It follows the titular Lain, a teenage schoolgirl who begins to explore The Wired (basically every form of human communication ever devised homogenised into one super-network), entering a world-within-a-world populated by men in black, hacker extremists and what could well be a bona-fide deus ex machina: a god in the machine. Like I said at the start, a lot of the artwork in anime irritates me. So when I say this series is beautifully drawn, I'm not mincing words.

Akira
Have you seen Akira? No? Then stop what you're doing.

No, seriously. Stop it. I don't give a fuck what it is, stop it right now and go watch Akira posthaste.

You can thank me later. They don't consider this to be one of the greatest anime films ever made for no reason.

You did specify Fantasy, though, so with that in mind...

Attack On Titan
Low Fantasy meets Steampunk meets gigantic fucking monster things. In a medieval-esque setting, humanity has been forced to flee into walled cities after the appearance of Titans, vast humanoid monsters whose favourite pastime is eating anyone stupid or unfortunate enough to get in their way. The series focuses on the efforts of the Survey Corps, the crazy bastards tasked with the unenviable role of defending the remains of humanity from these rampaging things. It's violent and brutal, the characters are well-written and the action is treated with a real sense of grit. Get you some.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I'm not an anime kind of guy (I hate roleplaying it more unless it is FMAB) but that show was amazing!

Now if you want an anime depressing as all hell there is Wolf's Rain, and a random kind of annoying one is InuYasha (good background sound though)

Reactions: Minibit
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll start watching tonight. ^_^

If you're up for anime movies as well, I would recommend Wolf Children Ame and Yuki. Lots of stuff - Romance, Tragedy, Drama and Fantasy with Slice-of-Life.

I watched it three times already and I'll never get tired of it. ;u; <3

Action/Fighting

ClaymoreStory: The world is festering with monsters called Youma, who disguise themselves as humans and eat living guts. The only people with the ability to slay these monsters are Claymores, women who are half-Youma themselves. Claymore follows the story of Clare, an especially unique Claymore with her own agenda
Length: 26 episodes

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Story: Two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric, use a forbidden alchemic ritual to bring their departed mother back to life, but it fails, leaving Edward without an arm and a leg, and his brother a soul trapped in a suit of armour. Together they quest to find the Philosopher's Stone, a relic which is said to make any alchemic endeavour possible, and on the way discover a deeper plot
Length: 51 episodes

Kenichi: the Mightiest Disciple
Story: After years of being picked on by bullies, pipsqueak Kenichi decides to learn self-defence at Ryozanpaku dojo; but the dojo has some of the craziest masters he has ever met, and his troubles only seem to get worse as his training intensifies!

Chrono Crusade
Story: A Nun named Rosette has a bond with a demon named Chronos, together they battle the forces of Evil in the world, but Chrono is hiding a dark secret...
Length: 24 episodes

High School of the Dead
Story: The Zombie Apocalypse has broken out! The terror forces an unlikely group of highschool students to bond together and try to survive; full of great, well-rounded characters and amazing action sequences
Length: 12 episodes

Sword of a Stranger (movie)
Story: A young boy on the run from some foreigners who want to use him as a sacrifice enlists the help of a masterless samurai.

High School/Slice of Life

Angel Beats!
Story: Otonashi wakes up in a strange high-school setting, and finds himeslf recruited by a group called the Afterlife War Front, fighting against a strange girl called Angel. But as the fight goes on, Otonashi finds there is more to this world than it seems
Warning, this anime WILL make you cry
Length: 13 episodes

Arakawa Under the Bridge
Story: Kou Ichinomiya has always lived obsessively by one creed: Never be in debt to anyone! But when a strange girl called Nino saves his life, she declares the only way to pay her back is to love her, and he quickly discovers this will mean living with her and her strange compatriots under the bridge!
Length: 13 Episodes

Ouran High School Host Club
Story: Haruhi, a middle-class, serious student, gets into the fancy Ouran Academy on a scholarship, and soon is kidnapped by the extravagant Host Club! A group headed by "King" Tamaki, their club practices entertaining ladies and fulfilling every ladies desire to be loved, but there is one thing no one must ever discover... Haruhi is a girl!

Black Rock Shooter
Story: Kind of hard to describe, and differs whether you read the books, watch the OVA, or one of the TV series; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rock_Shooter
Length: ??

Taishou Baseball Girls/ Taishou Yakyuu Musume
Story: In the Taishou era of Japan, when just as many girls wear Kimonos to school as Sailor Uniforms, one girl desperate to prove her competence and independance despite being female, forms the very first all-girl baseball team! This story focuses far more on the lives of the girls and their personal stories more than the actual game, so I don't class it as a sports anime at all.

Chobits
Story: Penniless and technologically illiterate cram school student Hideki Motosuwa finds an advanced artificial life form called a Persocom in the trash! Taking her home, he manages to boot her up, but finds she can only say "Chii". He names her Chii and lives with her day to day, unaware of her mysterious past. This anime also raises some strangely serious questions of what it means to be human, and what it means to love.
Length: 27 episodes

My little sister can't be this cute!
Story: Also called "Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai" and often shortened to Oreimo, this anime focuses on Kyosuke, a normal high-school student who is always being held second to his 'perfect' little sister, who is popular, gets good grades, likes modelling and normal girl activities... and is secretly really into Anime and games; especially ones with a 'little sister big brother' romance theme! When he stumbles into her secret, he becomes heavily involved in hiding her secret life, and helping her accept her true self

Horror

Elfen Lied (18+ for nudity and gore)
Story: Lucy, a powerful creature called a Diclonius, has gotten loose from the lab where she was kept as an experiment; her survival depends upon destroying all of human kind, but her personality splits between the ruthless and secretive Lucy, and the innocent and childlike Nyu, who is taken in by two innocent bystanders.

Higurashi When They Cry (18+ for gore)
Story: Based on a visual murder mystery novel about a mysterious village and untimely deaths; I reccomend reading the wiki article first or the anime will be confusing

Future Diary/Mirai NikkiStory: Yukiteru Amano, a junior high student, has trouble making friends. He views himself as a spectator from the sidelines and often writes down what he sees in a cell phone diary. Tormented by solitude, Yukiteru interacts with his imaginary friends Deus Ex Machina, the God of Time and Space, and Muru Muru, Deus's servant. One day, Deus grants Yukiteru's cell phone the ability to record the future for the next 90 days. Yukiteru is then forced to participate in a battle royale with eleven other people, each of whom also have a diary that can predict the future in some unique way. The rules of the game are simple: before the world ends on day 90, the contestants must find and kill all the other contestants, and the last one standing will become Deus's successor.

I'll add more as I think of them!

Reactions: Grumpy
Totally second Ouran High School Host Club, Fullmetal Alchemist (both the original and The Brotherhood are good), My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute and Angel Beats (made me sob not even gonna lie). High School of The Dead is school because it looks really nice and one of the view zombie apocalypse animes I've come across but it is one big sitfest of fanservice to the point where it actually gets bothersome and in the way of plot. If you are going to watch it though I recommend you watch the English dub because the voice actors don't take it as seriously and its more fun.

One of my favorite animes is Higashi no Eden and it's two movies and I highly recommend it. The story is interesting and smart and all the characters are really lovable. Another I highly reccomend is Kuroshitsuji (both seasons) because sexy demon butlers and boys in frilly Victorian clothing. Panty and Stalking with Garterbelt super funny (and a bit crude) and actually drawn in a more western style but its great.

Of course anyone would recommend you watch the more recent/still airing animes like Free!, Attack on Titan, Kill La Kill, Love Lab,Watashi, Diobolik Lovers, and Kyoukai No Kanata.

Sora no Otoshimono (EXTREMELY NEAR H TYPE ECCHI, Comedy, Fantasy, Action, a bit of a Drama, Some Romance), Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko (Cute, Kinda Ecchi, High School, Comedy), Angel Beats! (Drama, Action, Some Comedy), Kanon (Drama, Fantasy). For some reason, those are all I can think of at the moment, but if others arise, I'll try to list them if they haven't been added already. ^.^