Recolouring the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lady B

Original poster
I was just thinking how odd it would be if random, everyday objects just suddenly changed colour. Like, boom, now all bananas are blue, or all blood is yellow.

What sudden change of colour in an everyday object would freak you out the most? Or, if not colour, what change of size, smell, texture, e.t.c. I think the blood thing would freak me out pretty bad. Just imagine having a nosebleed and discovering that an unknown neon yellow liquid is running from your nose.

COMPLETE__GLOBAL__SATURATION__by_spikewible.jpg

All in all that's a good question.

What if your blue is different from my blue? If our perceptions of a color are perhaps so drastic but we both know and understand what blue is, but to us it's something completely different from each other?

Reactions: Dervish
i feel like this is somehow linked to the how well you see color thread

Ooh! Okay so what if book pages were wet. Like not soft and easy to tear or anything, but they just felt wet. Oh and what if puke was red? Imagine the widespread panic! Everyone would be freaking the hell out! :D Also purple tears or just tears of any color. Although that might be cool and not freakish.

If grass was red...

Because then I'd start questioning if I was a time lord.

What if your blue is different from my blue? If our perceptions of a color are perhaps so drastic but we both know and understand what blue is, but to us it's something completely different from each other?

every time my brother asks this question, I punch him. >:[

Oh and what if puke was red?

It CAN be red! Barfed up grape juice vomit does not come out of a carpet, by the way. O_O

Reactions: Mundane Monster
All in all that's a good question.

This.

There's also a good chance that the colours we see aren't an object's true colours, since our eyes only have a small number of colour receptors in comparison to some other animals, and their yellow, blue, and red receptors might make images appear entirely different from our experience because their physical biology, including their eye and brain forms, differ from ours.

After all, all colour is is whatever light that is reflected off an object instead of absorbed. Nothing says that light is perceived the same way by different creatures or even people, and assuming our view of the world is the true colour maybe be erroneous.

every time my brother asks this question, I punch him. >:[

It CAN be red! Barfed up grape juice vomit does not come out of a carpet, by the way. O_O

your brother probably no longer has a face then

Wait?

A box of markers and ADD? Oh the fun I shall have!

EDIT: I'll need a stash of Pixie sticks while I'm re-coloring all the large Felines! -Tigers are now Purple and Pink!-

Maybe I'm missing something about the point, but I really don't get this "true colour" concept touched on by @Dervish and @Windsong. There is no "true colour" because colour isn't an objective concept - colour isn't even a thing unless we are there, seeing something and defining what we see by categorising its hue as a certain 'colour'. We define what colour is; it's just an arbitrary method of categorisation.
So even though a certain animal's receptors and brain may interpret the wavelengths of the light being received differently than how ours do, that has no effect on what colour that object is. Its colour is whatever we decide light of that wavelength should be called.

Am I just missing something here?

Maybe I'm missing something about the point, but I really don't get this "true colour" concept touched on by @Dervish and @Windsong. There is no "true colour" because colour isn't an objective concept - colour isn't even a thing unless we are there, seeing something and defining what we see by categorising its hue as a certain 'colour'. We define what colour is; it's just an arbitrary method of categorisation.
So even though a certain animal's receptors and brain may interpret the wavelengths of the light being received differently than how ours do, that has no effect on what colour that object is. Its colour is whatever we decide light of that wavelength should be called.

Am I just missing something here?

That people may or may not perceive colour the same way. For instance, my red might look like a lime green to you, but we'd never know because we'd both know exactly what the other is talking about because regardless if our perceived colour spectrums are entirely different, they still function identically. What does it matter if your blue sky looks like my yellow if the results are the same? We couldn't describe what was different because our entire experience of the world follows the same colour pallet and works. How I see forests might be bright pink to you, but that would be normal because everything else green follows suit. Imagine an army of pink garbed soldiers blending in amongst pink and purple trees and you get the idea.

The whole true colour thing simply is that what we see, regardless if the human experience is identical save for colour blind people or not, may not be an object's true colour because our eyes are hardly perfect and other known species can see colours and light spectrums we cannot, and they have eyes with different forms than what humans have.

So it begs to question, what is the world's true colour if our perception is skewed?

The earliest life on Earth might have been just as purple as it is green today, a scientist claims.

Ancient microbes might have used a molecule other than chlorophyll to harness the Sun's rays, one that gave the organisms a violet hue.

Chlorophyll, the main photosynthetic pigment of plants, absorbs mainly blue and red wavelengths from the Sun and reflects green ones, and it is this reflected light that gives plants their leafy color. This fact puzzles some biologists because the sun transmits most of its energy in the green part of the visible spectrum.

"Why would chlorophyll have this dip in the area that has the most energy?" said Shil DasSarma, a microbial geneticist at the University of Maryland.

After all, evolution has tweaked the human eye to be most sensitive to green light (which is why images from night-vision goggles are tinted green). So why is photosynthesis not fine-tuned the same way?

DasSarma thinks it is because chlorophyll appeared after another light-sensitive molecule called retinal was already present on early Earth. Retinal, today found in the plum-colored membrane of a photosynthetic microbe called halobacteria, absorbs green light and reflects back red and violet light, the combination of which appears purple.

Primitive microbes that used retinal to harness the sun's energy might have dominated early Earth, DasSarma said, thus tinting some of the first biological hotspots on the planet a distinctive purple color.

Reactions: Hana and Dervish
The earliest life on Earth might have been just as purple as it is green today, a scientist claims.

Ancient microbes might have used a molecule other than chlorophyll to harness the Sun's rays, one that gave the organisms a violet hue.

Chlorophyll, the main photosynthetic pigment of plants, absorbs mainly blue and red wavelengths from the Sun and reflects green ones, and it is this reflected light that gives plants their leafy color. This fact puzzles some biologists because the sun transmits most of its energy in the green part of the visible spectrum.

"Why would chlorophyll have this dip in the area that has the most energy?" said Shil DasSarma, a microbial geneticist at the University of Maryland.

After all, evolution has tweaked the human eye to be most sensitive to green light (which is why images from night-vision goggles are tinted green). So why is photosynthesis not fine-tuned the same way?

DasSarma thinks it is because chlorophyll appeared after another light-sensitive molecule called retinal was already present on early Earth. Retinal, today found in the plum-colored membrane of a photosynthetic microbe called halobacteria, absorbs green light and reflects back red and violet light, the combination of which appears purple.

Primitive microbes that used retinal to harness the sun's energy might have dominated early Earth, DasSarma said, thus tinting some of the first biological hotspots on the planet a distinctive purple color.

I'm curious if you have the full article handy, I would like to read it.

I wouldn't call this scientific, but it is an entertaining watch.

Reactions: Dervish
Status
Not open for further replies.