Recognizing and Dealing With Creeps

Can I flip it back on them after I report them.

Reverse Creepology

Very helpful PSA, thank you for writing this. I don't believe I've had any experience with this kind of behavior, except for maybe that one weird PM RP I ended up in when I first joined Iwaku and had no idea what I was doing. The other roleplayer's pfp (a constantly changing feature but invariably something dangerously close to inappropriate) and IC behavior later in the RP weirded me out, leading me to make a swift end to the RP. I'm not sure if the offense was high enough on the "potential creep" meter to deserve a report but still.

Last edited:
@Astroblaze

While that member has deleted their account and that is why you can't tag them, please do NOT ever publicly accuse someone of something. It's always possible they might come back (sometimes people change their minds about deleting) or they might have friends who recognize the name. This is why reports are not shown in public.

Please edit the name out of your post.

Even if you're not sure if something is worth reporting, it's better to err on the side of caution and report. It never hurts anything and reports are confidential.

@Astroblaze
While that member has deleted their account and that is why you can't tag them, please do NOT ever publicly accuse someone of something. Please edit the name out of your post.
Oh sorry, I didn't know that. I thought it was alright here for discussion purposes in case someone else had also had problems.

I think this happened to me a few years back on another site. I'm not sure if he was mass-messaging, because this particular site had no feature to see who else he was talking to, but I definitely fell into this trap. He would get very angry every time I would drop off for a bit, going so far as demanding replies every five minutes and spam-messaging me when I didn't. Everything had to be his idea. If I suggested something, he would brush me off...or we would start playing it and he'd say he was bored, drop it, and go back to what he wanted to do.

Sad to say, this was my first experience with roleplay so I thought this was NORMAL. Everything started bordering on risqué after a while, and finally, after nearly six months of catering to this guy, I broke off contact. I didn't even think to report him until now.

Maybe I should go back and do that >.>

Fortunately, though, I met a bunch of awesome people who fixed roleplaying for me, and my writing has improved from one-liners to 5+ descriptive paragraphs per post. I'm glad that bad experience wasn't the end of it for me.

Thank you, Jorick! Guys, It's so important to talk about this. Some of the worst creepers have very manipulative methods in order to get you to do what they want. I have been at the receiving end of this as well in my lifetime, and it's not fun, it's not okay, and it doesn't have to happen to you.

Never, ever EVER let someone influence you to do something you are not comfortable doing. That goes for both your online and your in-person experiences, but be especially aware of your online presence because like Jorick said, there is a lot of data that can be found about you online.

Namely, be careful of the slippery slope. We tend to let a lot of things slide on the internet that we never would in person, passing them off as "oh, it's just the internet" or whatever. Creeps know this and try to manipulate it by getting you to do progressively worse and worse things. They'll try to dismiss it as "well, we did x a few days go, this isn't that different." The thing about the slippery slope is, where does that end?

It's okay to be cautious when interacting online with people you don't know or don't trust. There is no reason for you to be friendly or accommodating to strangers if you don't want to be. Stand up for yourself and let them know you won't take their bullshit and eventually they'll leave you alone and go somewhere that requires less effort. It's all about path of least resistance for these guys.

What should I do to handle creeps?
Jorick missed number 4:
If they won't let up, send those punks to mama fatal. I'll straighten 'em out. >:[