Recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hana

wandering thoughts
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
I know there's a Food Lovers group here, but I thought I'd make a recipe thread on here. No, I'm not actually capable of cooking anything more than the basics. Bruh, I'm not very creative with a rice cooker and a small toaster oven. Tough luck cooking for myself as a college student when I only know the basics ^^; (But yeah you can cook with a rice cooker.)

What are recipes that you are proud of, and are willing to share? And what neat tricks and simple foods can be made with a toaster oven, a rice cooker, and a limited budget? xD

An example of me improvising? I've tried just letting asparagus cook with the rice in the rice cooker and eating it with soy sauce ; w ;

@Sen also shared this with me a while ago and it's an okay meal though I like adding raw egg on top of it :)

• Love
Reactions: Astaroth and Mu
Rice is the most godly thing ever. Super cheap, decent for your health, lasts for eternity and a day.

However, one of my favourite luxury meals, is... Chicken Alfredo.

Pasta noodles + chicken breast (or failing that, several other types of meat can substitute, like ground beef), + alfredo sauce. (You can usually pick up fairly reasonably priced packets at the grocery store. This is the most expensive part, ie, why it is a luxury.)

You can make a ton of it and it stores nicely with no flavour loss. You can feed an entire family on eight bucks two nights running if you're a bit conservative with it. Add a little more milk than whatever the packet recommends (like 1/8th of a cup) to the alfredo to make it creamier.

If you prefer veggies, throw some broccoli and carrots in the place of the meat. Better yet: Steam them and then toss them into the boiling pasta.

Add a little soy sauce for a mix of flavour with the alfredo sauce. Some garlic salt if you'd like too.

Pow. A mountain of flavour awaits you with every bite!

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth and Hana
Most stuff I know is "Read off the box" basic. But there is one dish I know that although pretty simple isn't a popular one.

Chicken Nachos.

Take some Nacho chips and lay them on a tray.
Then proceed to add some refried beans on top.
Then mix some chicken with BBQ and put small spoonfulls on top.
Then place slices of Mozzarella Cheese on top.
After that put it in the oven on broil for a few minutes and you're done.

Put some sour cream on it and you have one of my most favourite dishes.
Note though the time=bounty ratio for his dish is far higher than most foods, so only do this if you have a lot of time to kill and/or have family members helping you to speed up the process since most of the time taken isn't actual cooking times but rather just mundane repetitive tasks.

Reactions: Hana and Brovo
Honey Garlic Chicken (The cheap, quick recipe!)-

1/2 cup Ketchup
1 pack chicken thighs (You can use boned, or boneless. I usually used boned since it has the skin.)
1/3 cup Honey
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
4 cloves garlic minced (I usually used 4 table spoons of the already minced garlic)
1 teaspoon dried basil

Throw chicken in the crockpot, mix all the other ingredients together and pour it in. Cook for 4-5 hours, and you're done. :) I usually add broccoli to it at the last hour of cooking and make rice separately. My hubby's hooked on this stuff, so I've got the recipe memorized, along with pulled pork.

Here's some of my favourite 5-or-less recipes!

In the spirit of 5-or-less, they are all things that you can make with (relatively) inexpensive ingredients, and all of them are pretty simple to make :)

You will need:
Frozen hashbrowns
Can of cream of mushroom soup
1 white onion or a bunch of chives, chopped
Bacon, chopped & fried
Cheddar cheese
--
  1. Combine everything except the cheese in a baking pan
  2. Bake at 350 for like, 30 minutes
  3. Top with cheese
  4. Bake another 10 minutes
  5. Make sure it's hot inside

CONSUME

You will need:
at least 3 Chicken boobies or 6 drumsticks/thighs)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
at least 3 cups of rice
French Onion Soup mix (or just google the spices)
--
  1. Fry the chicken just until it's got a nice golden colour on the outside (so, sear it), and halfway cook the rice (so steam until like half the water is gone, then take it off-heat and drain)
  2. Dump the rice with the soup in a baking dish and stir.
  3. Put the chicken on top. Sprinkle with the soup mix
  4. Bake at 350 for a couple hours, go ahead and forget about it until it dings,
  5. then open the oven, mop up the results of your spontaneously watering mouth, and dig in

You will need:
Rice (duh)
Eggs (1 per 1/2 cup of rice)
Some veggie (I like to use peas or a frozen mixed veggie bag)
Chicken boob, or pork chop, or a few strips of bacon)
--
  1. Steam the rice and chop the meat of your choice into bite-size bits and get it started in a hot skillet
  2. Let the meat get a nice colour on it, then dump in the rice and egg and veggies. Heat it like scrambled eggs; let it sit to cook, then move/rotate it around a bit.
  3. Scoop the warm fluffy totally-has-meat-and-veggies dinner into a bowl when the meat and eggs are cooked, and dig in.

Wanna feel fancy? This recipe's way easier than it sounds and you can totes impress guests/dates with it.
You will need:
Chicken boobies
Swiss cheese
Ham
Toothpicks
Bread crumbs
--
  1. Pound the chicken boobies flat; use a meat mallet if you've got one, or wax paper and anything flat and heavy (even your fists if you're feeling like venting!) if you don't. Get them down to 1-1.5 cm thick.
  2. Place a nice thick slice of swiss and a slice of ham on top.
  3. Roll the flat chicken boob around it. The trick is to remember it's not going to come out as a spiral so much as a fold. Pin it in place with the toothpicks (hint: put the toothpicks near the middle, the chicken is going to move a bit as it cooks, they could tear away if you pin near the edges
  4. Sprinkle/roll/somehow cover with breadcrumbs. You can use some butter or egg white to make it stick if you want.
  5. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through (will take less time than you think, remember you've made it thinner so it will cook faster. BAM. Don't forget to take the toothpicks out before serving.

Most stuff I know is "Read off the box" basic. But there is one dish I know that although pretty simple isn't a popular one.

Chicken Nachos.

Take some Nacho chips and lay them on a tray.
Then proceed to add some refried beans on top.
Then mix some chicken with BBQ and put small spoonfulls on top.
Then place slices of Mozzarella Cheese on top.
After that put it in the oven on broil for a few minutes and you're done.

Put some sour cream on it and you have one of my most favourite dishes.
Note though the time=bounty ratio for his dish is far higher than most foods, so only do this if you have a lot of time to kill and/or have family members helping you to speed up the process since most of the time taken isn't actual cooking times but rather just mundane repetitive tasks.
Italian cheese does not belong on nachos. D: Heresy.

So I usually make/customize my own recipes rather than stick to ones I've found online, but I am going to go through my stash and find some good ones to dump here later.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.