Rebuilding Humanity (SignUps 3/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Trent Blackwood

Primary Weapon:

On Patrol: IWI TAR-21, civilian model. Black with a flashlight, Mepro 21 reflex sight, EOTECH 3x flip magnifier, and flashlight. 1x30 round magazine, full.
400px-TAR-21_Flat_Top.jpg

Hunting: Moisin-Nagant 91/30. 5 round internal magazine, full.
2-Russian-Mosin-91-30-VG-to-EX-1500086.jpg

Secondary Weapon (If any): CZ-75B 9mm pistol. 12 round magazine, full.
cz%2075b%20cal%209%20bl-01.jpg

Essential Equipment: Hunting knife (1), 1x 9mm magazines, full. 1x 20 round box of loose 7.62x54r rounds (2), 2x .223 magazines, full (3).

Non-Essential Equipment: A pair of military-issue binoculars (1), a water-proof note pad case with a pencil, small sharpener, a pen, a couple erasers, the note pad itself, and a small penlight (2).

What does this character contribute to the Group?: Scout, patrol, and hunting.

Group Section: Military

Appearance:
tumblr_m8ept8Ef9c1qcw9vpo1_500.jpg

Trent stands at 5'11" with a slender build, grey eyes, and he is very seldom cleanly shaven.

Personality Concept: For a man who professes his contentment at being a part of a group, Trent is a man who spends a lot of time away from the relative safety of his comrades or what passes for civilization in the post-Breach era. While generally easy-going and somewhat aloof by nature, Trent feels the need to prove his worth to whomever he's grouped with in fear of being overlooked or not being offered a fair cut of what meager supplies can be scrounged up. While he largely hates being off on his own and the uncertainty of ever returning, he's grown up knowing that unless everyone pulls their weight, there might not be a tomorrow for anybody. On the other hand, when tensions flare up, he's more than happy to spend his time in the company of solitude to avoid the worst of it. Trent is not a man who is comfortable with fighting and arguing, although he's never hesitated to pull the trigger on another human in the few times it became a necessity. Given how scarce resources are, he tries to make every bullet count, and he seldom misses if he gets the drop.

Although the post-apocalypse world is all he's known, the remnants of the world that was left behind is a source of conflicted emotions for #Trent, who both dreams of seeing the world how it was, and has a sense of melancholy towards all that was lost. One of the most devastating things to happen in his life was the loss of his magazine collection when he had fled Last Eden with his group as they were a window into this mysterious world, and he cherishes the opportunity to listen to the few middle-aged and elderly people who remembered what the world was like pre-Breach as they tell the stories of how things used to be. Even on the road, part of his motivations for volunteering to scout ahead of the convoy is to see if anything remains in the ruins. One of his hobbies is as a sketch artist, making writing materials incredibly valuable to him, and he has a knack for being able to look at a landmark and conceptualize it as it used to be. He is somewhat superstitious about ghosts and the dead, and he believes those killed during the cataclysm still wander the streets, and may aid or cause malice to those who trespass on their dead lands.

As a combatant, Trent keeps a level head and has conditioned himself to ignore the feeling that he might die, positively reinforcing the idea that he'll survive if he does what he does what has to be done. Because of this, he's less cowed by suppressing fire, and if a creature is giving chase, he's able to think on the fly of how to get out of harm's way. While he's hardly a leader, he is an excellent team player and has the utmost faith in his group to watch each other's backs and listen to commands. While he used to be emotionally shaken after a fight, death's become such a familiar part of life that all that remains after most encounters is shaky hands and an emotional numbness. Despite his ability to kill without question, he still resents the loss of life, viewing every human somewhat as a pillar that's keeping the roof from caving in. He believes that civilization will never truly recover if people don't get their act together and focus on mutual threats instead of killing each other, although he's not holding his breath.

Off duty, Trent is sociable and likes to be around people, or at least within eyeshot. He does sketches for people as gifts and he often volunteers to help with food preparation, especially if he was the one to bring in game for the night. One of his favorite activities is the camp fire gatherings and the stories that usually come with it.

Backstory: Hailing from a family of hunters, Trent has raised by his father Joe and uncle Tom to be able to track and hunt game as means to barter with the rest of the community of Last Eden and to give the family something extra when the community rations were scarce. Trent never knew his mother well, as she was taken by an illness before his 5th birthday, although he knew the effect it had on his father, who always seemed to be sombre on most days, and Trent was always eager to please his father, knowing that they only really had each other and uncle Tom, even though all three of the Blackwood family had a good relationship with their community.

Trent was only six when he took his first deer, although he had helped snare and clean rabbits and skunks for a year prior, a memory he'd always hold dearly due to it being the first time he could recall his family being proud of his accomplishments. After the animal was cleaned and dismembered for food preparation and bartering, Trent was given his larger portion (as was custom for those who harvested the animal), and bartered the bones and several strips of the meat for a variety of things, including boxes of ammunition and a few tattered travel and outdoors magazines with various merchants. After several years of this, Trent eventually bought his first rifle, one of the exceedingly common Moisin-Nagants that even around a century after being manufactured were easily obtained due to their huge numbers pre-Breach years.

When the government began to start controlling more aspects of life in Last Eden, one of the first things to change was the government forcing the Blackwoods to turn in their harvests to the government in return for a modest fee, not enough to make ends meet on its own any longer. Being left with little other choice, the now 17-year old Trent joined Last Eden's military forces and was assigned as a scout due to his experience and reputation as a hunter. For the next several years, Trent served dutifully, although the increasing restrictions and controls placed on the populace of the government started causing widespread discontentment, and it wasn't look before Trent eventually agreed to join one of the caravans that was going to make an escape. While he regrets leaving his father and uncle behind, he did manage to take the time to talk to them and say goodbye before leaving Last Eden hopefully forever. Trent's future is one of his own making, and he'd rather die than return to what was quickly becoming a slave's existence.

Fear: Being left behind, as well as being eaten alive.

Anything else?:

-Trent is not much of a smoker or a drinker, although he wouldn't refuse either if offered.

-The TAR-21 was obtained on one of his scouting missions in an embattled town between various groups. He had looted it, along with several other valuable supplies, from a group of bandits who were preoccupied with the Radiated Ones.

-While not a fear, Trent is slightly paranoid of eating or drinking irradiated food or water.

-Trent never learned how to drive.

-Trent is fairly literate and is capable of navigating using a map and compass.

-His sidearm is primarily a last-ditch survival weapon, he will use his rifle almost exclusively.

-Depending if he's hunting or fulfilling military duties, he will take either his Moisin-Nagant or TAR-21 with him and leave the other behind in the vehicle.
Approved.
You can either make a post now or wait until I make one. Additionally I will open a PM to point something out that may bear importance regarding Catherines background.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dervish
Approved.
You can either make a post now or wait until I make one. Additionally I will open a PM to point something out that may bear importance regarding Catherines background.

I'll start plugging away at it tonight. Am I safe to assume he's already with the group?

I'll start plugging away at it tonight. Am I safe to assume he's already with the group?
You can decide that. We are still pretty much at the beginning. It just needs to make sense.

I'll post after @Manhattan Project does, I can't think of anything to do until then.
I've been a little silent, but I'm still in this. Just juggling a lot of stuff at the moment.

I'll post after @Manhattan Project does, I can't think of anything to do until then.
I've been a little silent, but I'm still in this. Just juggling a lot of stuff at the moment.
Yeah I have noticed the rating on Dervish's post which pretty much indicates presence.

Well, Christmas is just over and newyear is coming. I hope the others will take the time to make a post between christmas and newyear :)

Hello there Desire - I've been looking back and forth at this OOC/sign up for a while, and I'm pretty sure there is still room to sign up, yes? If so, I would certainly like to offer up a CS, but before I do? I was wondering if there was any particular niche that needs filling in this group. If not, and if you're still accepting, I'd like to pull together a CS.

Reactions: White
Hello there Desire - I've been looking back and forth at this OOC/sign up for a while, and I'm pretty sure there is still room to sign up, yes? If so, I would certainly like to offer up a CS, but before I do? I was wondering if there was any particular niche that needs filling in this group. If not, and if you're still accepting, I'd like to pull together a CS.
There is no particulare role that needs filling and yes we still have space for four more people~

Sorry, been busy with college. Starting a new term is a real pain. I'll get my post up as soon as I can.

@Desire, @Vansalon, @Dervish

How many are supposedly left IN the caravan?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Valentyne
tumblr_mxbt2gF8YU1qdjbhao2_1280.jpg

#name:
Patrick "Pat" Michael Callahan

Primary Weapon: Mossberg 590A1 12ga shotgun

Secondary Weapon: KA-BAR fighting knife

Essential Equipment: Boxes of ten (10) 12 gauge shotgun shells; 13" multipurpose Cal-Hawk hatchet; camp pack with canteen, flint and iodine tabs

Non-Essential Equipment: cast iron skillet/mess field kit with coffee pot; a bag of carefully tended cuttings and hybrid seeds.

What does this character contribute to the Group? Muscle, horticultural knowledge, crazy good field cooking skills, security and a magnificent tenor voice around a campfire

Group Section: Civil

Appearance: Pat is 6'5" tall, weighing in at around 220 lbs of solid muscle. He has dark brown hair and laughing hazel eyes, all framed with a thick beard. Pat wears heavy duty cargo pants, work boots, a t-shirt and an old cable knit sweater (still quite serviceable) that his grandmother knit for him one Christmas.

Personality Concept: Pat is very easy-going, a friendly and surprisingly gentle man who is quick to laugh and slow to anger. Many people get the impression that because Pat seems the personification of "the gentle giant" with the soft heart, he must be equally soft in the head. He does precious little to disabuse anyone of the notion, finding it a nice "get-along" cover. When it comes to a fight though, Pat is a fiend when he is finally provoked. And though this new world may have precious little use for such old fashioned notions, he was raised as a gentleman, protective of women and children and the helpless.

Backstory: Pat was raised by his maternal grandparents, both of whom were devoted to seeing this irradiated, mutant ridden and torn land green and healthy and productive again - this was a dream the Callahans believed in faithfully. His grandfather, Sean Callahan, was a U.S. Marine (and the source of the Mossberg and the KA-BAR knife) and a combat veteran who returned from deployments he refused to speak of, and subsequently devoted his life to wheat and apple farming in central Washington state with his wife Peggy. Their only grandchild, Pat, lived with them from the time he was a toddler, brought to them by their daughter Liz, a troubled young woman sunk deep in drugs and alcohol. After the breaches opened and the family fled to L.E., they never saw her again.

Even in L.E., the Callahans continued to work as best they could to make their world green and growing again, and to feed the survivors. This was the passion with which Pat was raised. His knowledge of agricultural techniques (ancient and current), hydroponics, aeroponics and animal husbandry is vast, and the Callahan family [among others] was pivotal in ensuring there was always enough food for the denizens of L.E.

Pat's grandfather passed away before the government of Last Eden made it anything but, dying peacefully in his sleep. It was Peggy and Pat who finally made the difficult decision to leave L.E., after it became apparent the men and women who worked in the agricultural fields were slowly becoming far more feudal serfs of the L.E. oligarchs than they were valued members of the community. The pair made the hard decision to leave behind the work they'd begun, and try for a new start with one of the caravans. Peggy was an elderly woman, and this was no small decision for her to undertake, traveling beyond the safety of L.E.

But neither Peggy nor Pat were fools. They could read the prevailing winds in L.E., and see the profound changes that were occurring. After difficult farewells to their dear friends and to Sean's final resting place, what remained of the Callahan family took their valuable knowledge, grafting and seed samples with them on one of the caravans, never imagining the L.E. ruling body had become so authoritarian and paranoid. If any of their friends still in Last Eden knew that a Retrieval Unit would be coming from them, if anyone tried to get word to the Callahans, that warning never arrived.

Peggy was killed during the attack on their new settlement, the slender, frail woman being one of the first shot during the combat. But in all her glorious, infamous stubbornness, she refused to die until she had given Patrick her little silver crucifix to wear for his own, and orders that he was never to forget their one living legacy in this world. Pat ensured she passed knowing he would honor her every wish, and buried her before joining those precious few survivors.

Fear: acrophobia and claustrophobia

Anything else? Pat really loves dogs.

Nice to have you aboard Murigen. That you in your pic?

hahahaha Hi there Manhattan, and thank you for the welcome (so long of course, as Desire decrees I'll be staying). And no, I'm afraid it's not me per se, just the furious, primal and more bloodthirsty aspect of my raging soul and the like - nothing to worry about ;) I understand she really likes rainbows and adores hugs, but might just be a little shy about asking, you know?

@Desire, @Vansalon, @Dervish

How many are supposedly left IN the caravan?
There actually is no satisfiable answer there :D
Whatever I answer would contradict the written somewhere now ;)

But! because I am very malicious I will say that the original caravan had 80+ people and that the current one, ours, has 22-28 :O

hahahaha Hi there Manhattan, and thank you for the welcome (so long of course, as Desire decrees I'll be staying). And no, I'm afraid it's not me per se, just the furious, primal and more bloodthirsty aspect of my raging soul and the like - nothing to worry about ;) I understand she really likes rainbows and adores hugs, but might just be a little shy about asking, you know?
I am going to properly review it in the next couple of days, newyear is here and I got a friend coming over with whom I am going to go outside pretty much the entire day and watch the festivities with later. (Just to give some transparence on my activities and when you can expect a reply)

@Desire

I'll just say 28 homes then. XD Be a little optimistic in a world gone to hell.

Posted. Phew

Reactions: White
Essential Equipment: Three boxes of ten (10) 12 gauge shotgun shells; 13" multipurpose Cal-Hawk hatchet; camp pack with canteen, flint and iodine tabs
Two clips of ammo for one type of weapon (not including what's already loaded into the weapon) counts as one essential item.
(Everyone is allowed to bring 3 personal essential equipment items such as ammo for weapons, personal medical kit if your a doctor, etc.)

I count five items.
I wouldnt mind there being one ammo box covering all of the three essential slots.

(Side notes)
The Mossfield shotgun can be purchased within the US by regular citizen (according to a friend of mine) which means you dont essentially need a parent in the army to have it.
He said it is a hunting and self defense weapon ;o Weither that is true or not! I do not know.
@Manhattan Project or @Dervish would know that accurately I assume.

Solve the Essential Item conflict and I see no reason to not approve your character.

@Soluna and @Befälhavare
I must ask for the reason of your absence.
You two would most likely need to do a post next to progress the plot thrown at @Dervish
I apologize for this to sound harsh and cold now but I require a reason of absence. Otherwise I will consider that you decided to drop out of the RP and will have your character get themself killed... or used as NPCs o.o"
I give you until wednesday the 7th of January to explain the absence.

Post edited to one box of ammo, and I assume accepted? If so, I can see about a post imminently.

And yes, the Mossberg 590A1 can of course be purchased by civilians (your friend is right Desire, and yes, Mossbergs are popular home defense shotguns); but it is also the Mossberg model used by the U.S. military across the board. The reason I chose to use that model shotgun in conjunction with the KA-BAR (which hasn't actually been issued to Marines in decades, but there's still that old military tradition there) was simply to add some flavor to Pat's story of Grandpa Sean and the USMC.

I own a Kar bar, it's my favorite camping knife. :D

Also, I was always a bit more partial towards Remington shotguns, but Mossbergs are damn nice.

Oh yes, Ka-bar's really are fantastic knives - nothing fancy looking at all, but last a lifetime and get the job done *big thumbs up* And my father liked Remington for whitetail hunting as well, so all good there too Dervish ;)

Post edited to one box of ammo, and I assume accepted? If so, I can see about a post imminently.

And yes, the Mossberg 590A1 can of course be purchased by civilians (your friend is right Desire, and yes, Mossbergs are popular home defense shotguns); but it is also the Mossberg model used by the U.S. military across the board. The reason I chose to use that model shotgun in conjunction with the KA-BAR (which hasn't actually been issued to Marines in decades, but there's still that old military tradition there) was simply to add some flavor to Pat's story of Grandpa Sean and the USMC.
Go ahead.

Sorry about the relatively late reply, already closed chrome and only received the e-mail notification on my phone when I already was in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.