5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. No Preferences
Genres
Monsters, supernatural, fantasy, romance, criminality, slice-of-life (modern or set in past, usually with some twists)
Untitled.png

Life had never been easy for Theodore Bonnuci, at least not in the 18 years he'd been existing, at least. He wasn't alone in experiencing the hardship, of course. Countless others in the downtown New York area in 1920 were undergoing poverty, working their fingers to the bone yet remaining -astonishingly- unaware where their next meal would come from. It was unfair, really, that these good citizens were suffering extreme poverty and difficulty while criminals and gangsters seemed to have the world at their feet. They were overflowing with wealth, using prohibition for their own advantage, and yet the people who stuck to the law and worked hard were receiving no benefits?

And yet, despite genuinely disliking the uneven balance of power in society, it was leading to desperation for young men like Theodore. With his parents sick, and with no money there to buy medication, he knew he had to get a job that paid better but, with no qualifications and no formal education, his options were limited... which left him in the situation he was in right now, heading to the nearest speakeasy to beg for a job. He knew that speakeasies were often in need of people to take the risk of working there and, well, Theodore would risk everything if it meant being able to earn some more cash, even if that was working for some gangster and getting himself involved in the murky underground world.

Did he really want to have to come face to face with a gangster; someone who could kill him and get away with it without anyone even knowing? Not at all - but desperate times called for desperate measures.

The speakeasy didn't operate as one during the day, of course. Despite the police and the judges often frequenting the speakeasy themselves, it was best to remain cautious at day, so it simply operated as Vincent's 'office' space, where business could be discussed... but everyone knew what it operated as at night, and it was that that Theodore was mostly interested in.

Breathing out awkwardly, the boy fiddled with his mop of black hair and, after checking his reflection in the mirror, finally took the step into the speakeasy.

Now there wasn't any chance of going back

Vincent Levard had it all. He had the money, the power, the cars, the women. He had what every man wanted. He owned the keys to New York City, and nothing was stopping him from climbing all the way to the top. Vincent was the most powerful mobster in New York City. He was as ruthless as he was intelligent. And boy was he intelligent, as well as charming. There wasn't anything this man couldn't do. People strived to be just like Vincent. To be wealthy like Vincent. To have nice clothes like Vincent. To have all the power like Vincent. Vincent was...Well, that man. He controlled businesses, had the police and politicians listening to him. He was the boss.

However, Vincent wasn't always like this. He grew up dirt poor, like Theodore. He didn't have anything to his name. He was just some street rat that people would look at in disgust. Vincent hated those stares, and knew someday he'd turn that disgust to respect and admiration. He fought hard to get to where he was today. And now look at him. The most powerful and happiest man in New York City.

But...Vincent wasn't as happy as he seemed. Vincent Levard was gay. And during this era, that was a taboo that must never be spoken. So he's never been with a man, but he always had a plethora of gorgeous women hanging off his arms, just to hide his sexuality. So currently in one of the speakeasies he owned, he sat in a booth with a blonde on his left arm and a brunette on his right. Smoking from his pipe, he lazily looked over his papers. Business was booming, and he didn't need this papers to tell him so. But it was still good to check them while one of his men counted all the money they made from the night before.

"Aye, kid. Business hours are later, come back then, aight?" Said one of his men, glaring at the kid. Vincent lazily looked up, blowing smoke from his mouth. His eyes were met with the most...Beautiful man he'd seen. Gorgeous eyes, that looked like emeralds, small delicate frame, olive skin, and dark hair. His eyes went to those soft pink plush lips, then up to that adorable button nose. Finally back to those gorgeous bright eyes.

"...Nah, he can stay...C'mere kid, you got something you want to ask?" He asked, that charming smile on his lips. "Why don't you ladies take a hike while I speak to our guest, hmm?" He asked the women on his arms, and they huffed, getting up from the seat.

The first thing Theodore thought when he stepped into those surroundings was that he'd made one huge, monumental mistake. The glare from the guard was bad enough, but spotting Vincent Levard for himself made him want to pass out. Everybody in the city knew Vincent. He was infamous around New York. Theo had never seen him before, but everyone had heard stories about the man. About how he had politicians doing what he wanted and how police were too afraid to even attempt investigating him for his crimes. Hell, Theo's friend had told him about how Vincent had left a dead horse's head at a man's home-- but Theo wasn't sure he believed that. He had no idea that, in fact, it was the gospel truth.

If he knew this was Vincent's speakeasy, he'd never have entered it in the first place. Any other speakeasy owned by any other gang boss was frightening, but he could deal with it. To be in Vincent Levard's presence was terrifying... though the fact Theo was still breathing and was beckoned closer was at least a relatively positive sign.

Eyeing the guard behind him again, unable to miss the gun in his hand, he awkwardly made his way forward. He had no idea what the proper etiquette was in this situation. Did he have to bow? Was he allowed to smile? Did he offer a handshake or was it bad manners to do so to someone so powerful? His nervousness was palpable, but just the thought of his sick parents made him push through with this. He needed the cash-- and anyway, he could hardly rush out. He knew he'd probably get a beating if he wasted the man's time like this.

"My... uh... my name's Theodore-- Theo's fine. Theo Bonnuci," he smiled quietly, a slight accent to his voice that only the child of Italian immigrants would really have - there were plenty in the area, these days. "I... I'm looking for a job, sir. My parents are sick, I... my job doesn't pay much, and... uh... I'd do anything. Cleaning, sweeping, clearing tables-- anything!"

"All of what you said was cleaning, you know that right?" Teased the gangster as he waved his hand lazily to one of his men. Somehow they knew that meant he wanted a drink, so they brought over two cups handing one to Vincent and the other to Theodore. "Grazie. So you want a job here, but you ask for the lowest job? Cleaning? Oh, you must be behind the eight ball huh? I can tell by ya clothes ya dirt poor. Hmm...How about I get you a job serving drinks, huh? That's a far better job." Setting his pipe down, he reached for his glass, taking a swig. Glancing at the younger male, he chuckled softly gesturing him to drink. "Gone on, dip the bill."

"Boss, why don't you interview him first, feel him out. He could be working with Donoso." Whispered his right-hand man in his ear, causing Vincent to laugh charmingly.

"This guy? Working with Donoso? This sap? Ha, I haven't heard somethin' that funny in ages. Richard, why don't you dust out, hmm? I've got this." He replied, looking back at Theo. "You got the job if you want it...Why don't we talk more though?" He asked, his foot reaching over to rub against his. No one else would see since it was under the table.

The barrage of insults and patronising remarks did make Theo feel like the lowest of the low. Being called 'dirt poor' and a 'sap' really wasn't something he wanted to hear, but he wasn't going to defend himself. He had to take the comments with a smile, keep his mouth shut despite the genuine urge to try and stick up for himself. He would have done so in Italian, but when hearing Vincent show his appreciation to his right-hand man in Italian, it was far too risky to try and defend himself in his naive tongue. It was best to sit down, sip the alcohol and just keep quiet.

Besides, the other had not onyl offered him a job, but a genuinely good one. He wasn't going to ruin that over a few remarks that, in all honesty, were fair. He was poor and he was pretty sure he looked like a sap too - he was more of a lover than a fighter, and definitely not someone capable of working undercover for another gang boss.

Assuming the touches under the table were accidental, he nervously knocked back the alcohol with his cheeks flamed red. He wasn't going to assume that this handsome mobster, with women always hanging off his arms, would deliberately be touching him under the table like that. Surely, it was just an accident? Again, he wasn't going to risk bringing it up.

"I... I can't thank you enough, s-sir! I mean, I'll do a great job, and I... I won't let you down," beamed Theo excitedly, wringing his hands together. "Can I start tonight? i don't... want to push my luck, b-but... I need the money. I haven't eaten in... a while, not properly. M-Mi sto mettendo in imbarazzo, mi fermo solo ora ..."

Vincent spoke great Italian, mostly because people in his gan were Italian. So he took the time to learn, so he could speak to them in their native tongue, or so he could hear if they were trying to trash talk him without him knowing. And besides, he spoke a few languages fluently. "You're not embarrassing yourself, promise." Purred the man, winking. "I was once like you myself. I had nothing to my name, poor and hungry. And I'm where I am today because someone was generous enough to lend a helping hand. So why don't I lend you the same hand, hmm? Come, let's get you something nice to eat. And of course you can start tonight, we'll need to get you some new clothes of course. Frankie, go and buy this guy a new suit and shoes. He looks like he's the same size as ya brother."

Standing up, he handed Frankie a wad of cash, before he patted the man's cheek. He then gestured to Theodore to follow him after he grabbed his pipe. "We can have lunch in a hotel of mine. They have delicious steaks." He told him, smirking at him. He knew the other was gay. How? He could just sense it, and usually, he wouldn't even flirt with other gay men. But this boy was far too cute to let him slip by. About twenty or so minutes later they were in his hotel room, waiting for the food to be brought to him. He sat at the table in their, smirking at Theodore.

"So Theodore, how old are you? You look young like you're still a boy. I wonder what drove you to want to mingle in a speakeasy. And to mingle yourself in with me. I mean...I'm sure you've heard of me, hmm?"

The last few twenty minutes had been a complete blur to the teenager. He'd started the day petrified as he prepared himself to beg for a job from Vincent, and just a mere twenty days later he was in a hotel room with the infamously dangerous man. He had a job, he was going to be able to wear a suit (which, for someone like him, was a huge deal) and he was now going to have a presumably fancy meal... although, he was quite happy to eat anything that was hot and comforting. It had been far too long since he had a proper, hot meal to fill him up. For that alone, he was extremely grateful to the gangster, even if, at the back of his mind, he was distrusting of his kindness.

Nothing ever went right for Theodore.He didn't get luck like this, so, with his past in mind, he couldn't help but be cautious that Vincent would produce a gun and kill him in a minute or two. He didn't understand his flirtation at all, far too caught up in his own head to even recognise that Vincent was being genuine and seemed to like him.

"Of course I've heard of you, I... is there anyone in New York that hasn't?" He smiled quietly, growing just a little more confident as he nervously sat opposite him. "I... I'm... 18. I know I'm young, but I-I'm just desperate. No other job pays as much as in a speakeasy, and... and I like jazz music, so I thought it'd be a good combination..."

"So you're eighteen. Why are you so nervous? I promise I don't bite. So you want to work at my speakeasy only for money? Are you not interested in the flappers? You know they're fine dames...Or are you simply into someone with more...Muscle?" Smirked the man, standing up from the table to stand behind Theodore's chair. He began to massage his shoulder, leaning down to purr in his ear. "Relax, I promise ya, I don't bite. You're so tense. So you're into men?"

Purring softly, his hands massaging his shoulders went to his chest. Whatever he was doing was working magic. He did that until there were knocks on the door. "Ah, our food's here. Why don't we eat hmm?" Cooed the man, letting him go before he went to open the door. Taking the food cart, he rolled it back to the table. "Frankie should be here soon with your suit. We'll have you looking spiffy in no time. After dinner, you can take a shower if you want. Don't you want to smell nice on your first day?"

If he was nervous before, there was no chance he'd be more relaxed after the purred remarks. He'd kept his sexuality a well-guarded secret his whole life, or at least since working his homosexuality out at the mere age of 10. He'd been much more interested in watching the local boys play soccer in the street, than watching the girls. It didn't take long until puberty hit and he realised he was sexually attracted to the other male teenagers. How Vincent possibly knew his darkest secret was astounding, but he realised immediately that he knew because he too was gay.

He never thought to have something in common with Vincent Levard, but here he was, smiling quietly as he flirted and brought the food over to him. Theodore was a naturally cautious, nervous person... but he had depths to his personality. He could be playful and seductive - he just never had a chance to show someone that side of him. He didn't really want to start with Vincent when the man could just kill him if he took offence-- but hell, when would he get a chance to flirt with another gay man?

"I... I'll take that shower if you join me," he flirted back with another subtle smile, even if this one grew infectiously on his face. "After our meal-- I'm not passing up the chance for a hearty meal, sir."

Arching his brow at the sudden brave and flirty remarks, Vincent chuckled happily. "Well, of course~ You'll need all the energy you can get, because once we're in that shower_" He trailed off, allowing his foot to travel up the other inner leg, allowing the other's mind to wonder what will happen in the shower. Vincent's heart was racing at the mere thoughts of what he'd do to this boy. He'd never been this excited in his life, but then again, he'd never been with a man in his life as well.

He had met other gay men, but he never flirted with them. But Theodore was far too good to let go by. He looked amazing, and he was finding out that he was flirty as well. Hell, he invited him to take a shower with him, and he liked brave men. Taking a bite of his mash potatoes, he looked at Theodore, lust swirling in his eyes. "So, Theodore, you are completely sure that you want me to join you in the shower? You do know what happens when you invite a grown man with you in a shower, correct?"

Theodore wasn't even sure what sex between a woman and a man was like, so he was genuinely clueless on what sex between two men was like. Hell, he didn't know what Vincent was alluding to, but he assumed he meant something sexual, and of course he knew nothing about that. He didn't want to come over as a 'sap', but lying to someone like Vincent wasn't wise, especially when the truth would just reveal itself when it was clear he had no idea what he was doing.

Focusing instead of the meal in front of him, happily tucking into the steak and potatoes with occasional, cute groans of approval, he dabbed his mouth politely to speak when realising he couldn't evade the questions a second further.

"I... I haven't got a clue about that sort of thing, sir. I... I've never had a kiss. I didn't really... want to have my first kiss with someone I didn't like," he admitted with a tired sigh, his green eyes filling with embarrassment. "I really am a sap, and... and if this is a joke at my expense, I-I'd rather just leave because I'm already embarrassed."

Ugh, he was just so cute~! Vincent wanted to just squeeze this little boy. He decided then they wouldn't have sex. If he was still a virgin, he'd do it the right way. But he would take his first kiss. Chuckling, he leaned over the table to wipe away the sauce from his mouth. "Well...I'm pleased that you haven't kissed anyone before. That means I'll be your first kiss." Cooed the man, as he looked into those bright green eyes. "...Amazing. I haven't even seen emeralds that green." He whispered, his eyes going down to his lips.

His thumbpad went to trace those lips, his breathing hitching a bit as he felt how soft they were. "...Unkissed lips. I bet they're as sweet as you." He whispered, looking back up in those eyes.

Was this really happening?

Vincent was at the top of his game. There was bound to be other closeted men in this city far more worthy of his attention; men who were rich and powerful and who Vincent would have more in common with. The fact he'd whisked Theo off after ten minutes of meeting him and proceeded to flirt like Theo was the most gorgeous man he'd ever seen was... well, it was almost too good to be true.

But he wasn't going to let his paranoia get in the way. This was genuine, he knew that. Nobody could fake the emotion Vincent was showing right now.

"...Well, I... I'm not giving my first kiss to you right now. You might be s-some big, bad, scary mob boss, but... my first kiss is important. You're going to have to earn it," he bravely flirted again, going as far as to wink as he sipped at the champagne - his first ever taste of the expensive drink.

A smirk curled on his lips as he let go of his face. "Oh? Well, Theodore, will you be ever so kind and tell me how I could earn a sweet kiss from you?" He loved how he was teasing him. Theodore was such a cute little tease, and if he had to chase Theodore for a while, he would. Theodore was worth it. He was different and he could tell that just by looking at him. He wasn't some rich guy who felt like the sun rose just for him. He was humble and sweet.

Once he was finished his meal, he stood up, before walking over to Theodore's chair, and helping him out. "Well, it seems like dinner is already finished. We should be making our way to the shower hmm~ Hopefully, I can earn a kiss in there?"

If he was completely honest, Theodore never expected to ever have his first kiss with someone. Unlike other closeted gay men who dated women to put up an act to the world, he knew he could never go through all of that. He didn't want to have his first kiss being with some woman he wasn't remotely attracted to. So, to not only kiss Vincent, but to shower with him was a huge surprise, particularly as it had happened so quickly... though he would be lying if he said he didn't feel a spark between them. As soon as he laid eyes on Vincent, he felt a reaction. He first assumed that was just fear, but as he became more comfortable around him, he knew that that feeling had been intense attraction, which culminated in a surprisingly heated make-out session in the shower.

Making out with Vincent Levard was a huge deal, but he didn't even think of it like that. He didn't think of the man he was cuddled up against as the great, dangerous boss who was downright evil at times. He was starting to see him was just... Vincent; a handsome guy who really seemed to like him.

After drying off and trying on the suit Frankie brought around, he finally went back home to tell his parents the good news about his new job, and to show them the fancy suit he'd been gifted, all before the first shift that night. When the time came around to show up for work, he had made an effort to look as good as he possibly could; anything to get Vincent's attention on him. The scene in the speakeasy was all he envisioned, and more. People were dancing, the jazz music was playing, the prohibited alcohol was flowing... and he immediately picked up the job with ease. He moved about effortlessly, taking orders and passing out drinks with a smile, before eventually working his way to Vincent's table in the corner. It as daunting to see the man with burly men sat around him, clearly members of his gang, but he bravely smiled and kept his eye contact on Vincent for comfort.

"...Can I get you guys anything to drink? A top-up or anything?"

Vincent had been eyeing Theodore down all night. All of his men thought, of course, it was because he was making sure the newbie didn't mess anything up. But no one knew he was just checking him out. Theodore looked so damn cute in that suit, and the way his hair was styled suited him. Of course, he had women hanging off his arms, but he sat up, flashing that gorgeous smile at Theodore. "A French 75 for me. No ice though, I like mine to be room temperature. Sensitive teeth." As he spoke to Theodore, he remembered how cute the boy sounded in the showers. The short moans, the way his mouth begging for more. They hadn't had sex, but it was still amazing.

"Lemme have a Southside." A burly man on his right said, smoking a thick long cigar. "Hold the mint though. I hate that shit." Grumbled the Italian man as he puffed out some smoke, glancing at Theodore. "So this the guy you hired hmm? Frankie told me he was some poor sap...Don't look like it to me, those some nice rags he got on. He's young too. Hey kid, ever thought of joining a gang? Could earn ya some real dough."

"Al...I thought it was me who was in charge, hmm?" Vincent glared at the big man, before taking his pocket knife out quickly stabbing it through his hand that was on the table. "See that's your problem. You think you have power around here." He hissed, however, it was drowned out by Al's screams.

Everyone who came to Vincent's speakeasy knew his propensity to be violent, and thus, everyone knew to just ignore it and carry on. Drawing attention to themselves by staring or screaming in horror would only annoy Vincent more, and nobody wanted to incur his wrath. However, Theodore was completely new to the scene and new to witnessing Vincent's violence firsthand. Now, he was no stranger to the rumours about Vincent, and he'd heard some of them in bloody detail, but he didn't know that side of Vincent personally yet. He knew him as the strong, gorgeous guy who swept him off his feet and made him feel special.

Seeing him rise to this violence, seemingly without any real motivation, was horrifying, and he couldn't stop his eyes widening and mouth dropping in that genuine fear... especially when some of the blood splattered across his own face. Nervously dabbing it away with the bravest smile he could muster, he did try and continue as normal, even despite the waver in his voice indicating his nervousness.

"I... I can g-get that f-for you... maybe some... tissues, to clean th-the... the b-blood?"

Taking his knife from the hand, Vincent smiled up at Theodore. "That would be splendid. You're doing a wonderful job." The man complimented, before cleaning his blade off with his own rag. The women hanging off him acted as if everything as normal, however, they did share a wary glance with one another. Many wondered if Vincent was even sane. The answer to that was a big no. Of course not, but what sane person could do his job?

Once Theodore was back at the bar about to make the drinks, Daniel, another bartender walked over to him. He had witnessed everything and wanted to make sure that Theodore was fine. "...You aight? Look, I know that...the Boss can be a bit scary but...If you just smile and act like nothing happen, he won't mess with ya. Just stay outta his way, and work. You'll be fine."

Flinching at Daniel's approach, it took a few seconds before he realised the other was trying to help him, rather than hurt him. He was evidently on edge, shaking and nervously fidgeting as he placed glasses on the tray ready to fill. He felt beyond idiotic right now - he thought he'd met a nice guy in Vincent, but he'd conveniently overlooked the fact he was downright dangerous. And now he'd got involved with him, meaning safety was never something he was going to ever confidently claim to have. Even if Vincent didn't hurt him, he had enemies out there. That itself made the teenager fret.

"I'm fine, it was just a shock," he smiled quietly, reaching for the right alcohol though, with his mind a mess, he realised just seconds later that he had put ice in Vincent's glass, groaning as he took the cubes out. "I just... it's n-not something I... I thought I'd see. He was nice to me all day, he... he took me to have a meal to celebrate my job here, and that was real normal, i-it's hard to... see him act like that."

"Here's some advice. Don't trust him. If you believe he is a nice caring guy, you're terribly mistaken. He doesn't care about anything or anyone but himself. Just work with your head down, and smile." Warned Daniel. Daniel had obviously been working there a while, and he knew what he was talking about. And he hated when he saw young people get tangled in Vincent's mess. It never ended well. People would either end up dead, or broke and have nothing or no where to go.

"You seem like you got a good head on ya shoulders kid. Use it, and play smart. Who you just saw was the real Vincent. He isn't that sweet guy who he showed you earlier today."

"Theo, dear. I'm quite parched." Vincent called, his eyes light and still had that flirty glint in them like they had when they first met.