Reasons Why No One Likes Roleplaying With You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried clicking the link, but the facility I'm at has the website blocked. :banghead:
It's a meme of Morgan Freeman, the caption says "Actually, no, my post wasn't for you, but if the shoe fits feel free to lace that bitch up and where it."

Edit: Yeah, I should have just posted the image <_<

Haha! It's fine. That pretty much explains how it works.

I'd argue that it's less Mary Sues that are the issue, and more flat-line one note characters that have utterly no development potential.
Yes, I'm in agreement with this. Nothing worse than a paper-thin character. Must have meat on their bones... must actually have bones, or they just can't stand, right?

Yes, I'm in agreement with this. Nothing worse than a paper-thin character. Must have meat on their bones... must actually have bones, or they just can't stand, right?
Spine (Core): Ideology.
Organs (Personified): Personality.
Breathing, Blood Pumping (Expression): Dialogue, actions, reactions.
Muscles (Motivation): Motivation. Self explanatory really.
Tissue & Bone (Connections): Biography, reasoning.

It's all connected. Omnis sermo sacer est, every word is sacred. In essence: Characters are like children. You need to feed your child a healthy diet: Not too much, not too little, with lots of fruits, veggies, and some meat. A little sugar here and there is fine, but focus on the essentials first. Everything else comes with puberty.

METAPHORS!

I've seen number 3 before and it certainly was annoying XD

Everything else comes with puberty.

METAPHORS!

Indeed it does... most of my characters are past their "teen" years. And funny thing: Saw "Guardians of the Galaxy" Thursday, I remember the part where Drax the Destroyer is "revealed" to not understand METAPHORS! Shame. Metaphors are fun. They bring spice to the lives of fictional characters just as readily as to real people.

Saw "Guardians of the Galaxy" Thursday, I remember the part where Drax the Destroyer is "revealed" to not understand METAPHORS! Shame. Metaphors are fun. They bring spice to the lives of fictional characters just as readily as to real people.
What are you talking about? He wouldn't miss a metaphor, he would catch it.

Reactions: Laylah
To slaughter something, you have to catch it first....

Indeed it does... most of my characters are past their "teen" years. And funny thing: Saw "Guardians of the Galaxy" Thursday, I remember the part where Drax the Destroyer is "revealed" to not understand METAPHORS! Shame. Metaphors are fun. They bring spice to the lives of fictional characters just as readily as to real people.
Sometimes the absence of a typical and expected flavor creates something delightful through contrast.

Reactions: Brovo
What are you talking about? He wouldn't miss a metaphor, he would catch it.

And by doing so, he would get his fingerprints all over it... nothing like a "messy" metaphor, right?

Sometimes the absence of a typical and expected flavor creates something delightful through contrast.

Exactly. Kinda like my character Deen towards those who comment on his lack of clothing: "Would you cover a Ferrari in burlap?"

Spine (Core): Ideology.
Organs (Personified): Personality.
Breathing, Blood Pumping (Expression): Dialogue, actions, reactions.
Muscles (Motivation): Motivation. Self explanatory really.
Tissue & Bone (Connections): Biography, reasoning.

It's all connected. Omnis sermo sacer est, every word is sacred. In essence: Characters are like children. You need to feed your child a healthy diet: Not too much, not too little, with lots of fruits, veggies, and some meat. A little sugar here and there is fine, but focus on the essentials first. Everything else comes with puberty.

METAPHORS!
So, a hagfish could still count as a character... Sort of. The only thing they're missing are bones, but they potentially make up for that with slime. >.>

Reactions: Jordan Belfort
Never discount the benefits of slime.

It's actually a very interesting science, their creation of goo, so I should hope I never discount it. heh

I think, in reference to the first post, the thing I'd have the most trouble dealing with is the know-it-all, simply because you can't stop them from knowing everything unless you make the rest of the story a series of oneupmanship, whereas poor grammar and mary sues can be bettered, loners can be badgered(and this is occasionally amusing), and random pop-ups can be satisfactorily explained if necessary for the plot.

Heh... one of the fun things you get to play with when creating non-human characters. Or human characters with "Super Slime!" powers.

And again, heh. How about "badgering" those loners with badgers? I have quite a few characters who wouldn't let a "loner" stay alone, at least not for long.

On topic, sometimes you just have to roll with the "bad" players. I even once went so far as to attach one of my characters to a lady's character... said lady being one of those "one-liner" types with poor grammar and shallow characterization. But hey, it was what my character would have done under the RP circumstances, so I rolled with it. And actually had fun, though the thread itself didn't last (for reasons I probably don't need to state).

I love non-human characters. I don't play them nearly as often as I'd like, but I'm working on it. :P

*ahem* Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger. You either entertain yourself badgering the loner and getting all up in their space, or you just go, whelp, if that's your modus operandi, I'mma leave you to your lonesome and play over here. Inevitably, the story will move on. Also, I actually have badgered a loner with a badger once. A stuffed badger. But it was a badger all the same. :P

I don't think I'd ever instantly write off any of these as inherently bad. Because I've had plenty of experiences with all four of them that did wind up not being half as horrible as I'd originally thought. If I can run with what I'm given, I will. It usually works out. If I can't, I'd like to say I'm brave enough to go uhhhhhhh, yeah no, but I'm not, so I usually just roll with it then too, in which case, the rp generally dies quickly because we're not on the same wavelength. And I am mostly okay with that. Mostly.

Me, I hate seeing RPs end... even a "bad" RP can be fun.

However, I RPed for a while on a site even though I had much trouble with it. I mean, really, the one reason I was able to RP with the lady I mentioned above was due to the fact, bad as she was, her posts at least moved the story/action along. On this other site, I got stuck with another one-liner lady whose character was just a talking head. All dialog, no action. I literally had to have one of my characters drag her out of a room, because she never posted any movement at all. And no, she didn't take the hint. And so, for the first time, I quit. Just couldn't go on.

Heh... it's nice to be loved. And fun to play with non-human characters, both from a physical and personality side. And all that comes in-between. Like playing a character who, for his/her species, is quite normal/sane, but from a human perspective, can be anything from simply odd to a stark, raving loon. Animalish all the way to highly civilized. Though if you've ever studied anthropology and human cultures, we have some pretty alien stuff in our own species roster.

I'm not always grateful an rp ends, after all, sometimes they're, like, the best idea ever! And it just goes inactive for reasons you pine after, or maybe I'm just pining after the dead rp... But sometimes I find myself quite relieved when something ends. Of course, if I'm having fun, I'd be sad, no matter what I think of the character or other rpers, fun is fun and if they can keep the story going, then s'all good and grand. :) That all talk and nothing else though, that would definitely be one of those not-so-great moments.... Yep.

I love that ability to gain a new perspective when writing as a non-human. And to come up with cultural norms that wouldn't be my cultural norms, just to explore how different sentiences might decide to interact and how far the differences could go before some would say nope! I'm quite interested in anthropology, sadly didn't get into those classes at uni, but my sister did and she loaned me a few of her textbooks, but I'd be afraid to actively play with those cultures without a great deal of study and the disclaimer that this is rp and I may have my facts wrong, just because I'd be worried about misrepresentation. I mean, I do play different mindsets and cultures with a human character, and it can be incredibly fascinating and fun, but I find there's a freedom to having the portrayal be a clearly made up creature, and an attempt at a made up culture, even if there are resonances, it at least isn't an imitation gone horribly wrong. I hope I'm making sense....

I'm not always grateful an rp ends, after all, sometimes they're, like, the best idea ever! And it just goes inactive for reasons you pine after, or maybe I'm just pining after the dead rp... But sometimes I find myself quite relieved when something ends. Of course, if I'm having fun, I'd be sad, no matter what I think of the character or other rpers, fun is fun and if they can keep the story going, then s'all good and grand. :) That all talk and nothing else though, that would definitely be one of those not-so-great moments.... Yep.

Indeed. Imagine what your favorite book would be like if it only contained the dialog. Oh... the horror... *squick*

And yes, fun is the object of RP, even "serious" RP, even if you have people involved of very low skill. So long as there is enough to move things along, all is good. All is right.

I love that ability to gain a new perspective when writing as a non-human. And to come up with cultural norms that wouldn't be my cultural norms, just to explore how different sentiences might decide to interact and how far the differences could go before some would say nope! I'm quite interested in anthropology, sadly didn't get into those classes at uni, but my sister did and she loaned me a few of her textbooks, but I'd be afraid to actively play with those cultures without a great deal of study and the disclaimer that this is rp and I may have my facts wrong, just because I'd be worried about misrepresentation. I mean, I do play different mindsets and cultures with a human character, and it can be incredibly fascinating and fun, but I find there's a freedom to having the portrayal be a clearly made up creature, and an attempt at a made up culture, even if there are resonances, it at least isn't an imitation gone horribly wrong. I hope I'm making sense....

A disclaimer can be a way to make your reader understand that "all errors are mine," because, yes, this is fiction, and "error" - in that context - is quite often deliberate. At least that's the way I look at it. Heh. I usually try to find aspects of human culture that I can "borrow" either whole, or twist in some way... usually twist. Like my namesake, Roose. For his culture, I plucked the concept of the DreamCatcher whole from Native American culture. I also took some bits from Asia... specifically, Japan, bits related to their code of honor... however, I came up with the idea for what I call a "CityHome" as a major aspect of his species' cultural base. The idea that a "city" is a Home for an extended family, everyone living there related in some fashion. Also, the concept of CityHome as a self-sufficient nation. Everyone in that CityHome working for the benefit of everyone else, through familial and personal inter-relationships. CityHomes also developed inter-relationships, supported each other, exchanged blood... no, not through conflict, but through the exchange of mates. Heh... can't allow in-breeding, and all that, right? Very important. I also threw in quite a few other aspects, with respect to clothing, rituals, communal feasts and the raising/teaching of children. And so on.

Yes, lots to think about when you play with aliens. When you want your aliens to have "human" complexity, not to mention the whole believability aspect. Environment, biology, anatomy, culture... I enjoy playing with all that. Details, details!

And yes, you're making sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.