Reaping Amore

She was taken a little off guard by his compliment. Ruby blushed a little and smiled at him. "Thank you," she replied. She listened to him as he explained to her. The thought of it made her sad and she bit her lip. "Oh..." she murmured, sighing a little. She didn't like the thought of calling him a name that had to do with his death. Since he couldn't remember it though, she supposed it was alright.

"If you're all set then," Ruby said, brightening up, "Let's get going!" She opened the door and let him out, locking her apartment and starting towards the stairs. With a little giggle, she turned to him. "You had to climb up quite a few stairs last night, didn't you? And carrying me too. I'm no light-weight, are your arms sore?" she asked. She was teasing him in a friendly way and hoped he'd understand.

"You weren't heavy at all. My arms are sore, but I think that's from making cereal," a corner of his mouth lifted a bit. Steele chuckled to himself silently before following Ruby down the stairs. As he reached the base of the stairs, he noticed a cat lying still between two bushes. Seeing several little transparent lights above the body, his eyebrows furrowed. They were probably... His hand reached to touch the cat's body. Cold. His fingers felt little bumps as he touched the cat's abdomen. She was supposed to have babies.. He didn't see any mother spirit around. Another reaper may have gotten to the mother before the baby kittens she was pregnant with. Steele sighed before pulling on Ruby's shirt a bit, "There are kitten spirits here. Can we bury their and their mother's before we go? Their spirits aren't rested because their bodies have not been given proper burials."

The little lights seemed to bounce up and down, responding happily to what the male planned to do. The babies weren't in recognizable shapes of kittens because they never grew enough to have those forms. It was the same for any unborn animal or being, their spirits looked like orbs of light instead of the regular, recognizable translucent images of what the dead being was supposed to look like. These beings had to have at least grown to the stage of being actual babies in order to have had those same shapes and looks in death. He watched as the kittens' spirits jumped around and huddled around Ruby's shoulders, presumably curious about who she was. Those not alive had a similar feeling as one another, so they didn't question the reaper's existence. Steele smiled, knowing Ruby couldn't see them, and chuckled while explaining, "The kittens want to play with you. They're hovering around your shoulders." His hand picked up hers as he placed it midair, an inch above her shoulder where a few of the orbs were. He whispered, "If you stay calm and keep your heart and mind open, you should feel that it's a bit colder where they are."

Ruby giggled softly, turning to smile at him as they walked down. She walked a few more steps before she realized he was no longer behind her. She turned to see him kneeling by some bushes, looking at something. Ruby walked back over, leaning down a little with a curious expression. She flinched when she saw the dead cat, turning away and covering her mouth a little. As he explained things to her, she listened quietly while still avoiding looking at the cat.

"Oh... Yes, of course we can bury her," she told him, smiling a little. "Ehm... I've seen this cat around, so I feel kind of bad that I didn't notice it, she, was missing." As he lifted her hand to the air near her shoulder, she blushed slightly. "They.. Do?" she asked, looking a little sad. "I like kittens... I totally would play with them if I could see them," she told him. Ruby took a deep breath and caught his eye, staring at him for a moment as she tried to keep calm and concentrate. He was right, it was a little chillier there. "Do you know how she died?" she asked him, sighing softly.