Realm of Garrn: The Call of Adventure (OoC and Sign-Ups) OPEN FOR NEW PLAYERS!

Reveal yer'self, hero!:
girl_wood_elf_autumn_3271_1600x1200.jpg

What be yer name, Stranger?: Rossarinya Felagathar

Be you a lad or a lass?: Female

What be yer lineage?: Elf

What be yer area of expertise?:
Primary - Beastmaster Ranger
Secondary - Nature Magician

Axe or Sword?: Steel dagger

Adventurer's Kit Contents:
Sewing kit
Book of lore
Wooden spoon
Small iron kettle
Black wool cloak
Steel circlet with a ruby in the center (as seen in pic)

What be yer talents?:
Race talents -
Elf: Acrobatics, Archery, Climbing, Herbalism, Wildlife.
Class talents -
Beastmaster Ranger: Archery, Hunting, Hawking
Nature Magician: Mysticism, Alchemy, Herbology
Chosen talents -
Survival
First aid
Sewing
Animal behavior
Languages
Herbalism

Know ye any spells?:
Primary - telepathic communication with animals
Secondary - mind control of animals

Tell me yer tale, an' I'll listen:
Rossarinya grew up never knowing her parents. When she was only a baby, her parents abandoned her on the front steps of a small stone cottage on the outskirts of the Whispering Woods. This cottage was the home of a witch named Auria the green. Before the arrival of Rossarinya, Auria took joy in her solitary lifestyle. She enjoyed the peace and quiet that solitude brought, so you can imagine her displeasure when a crying baby was left on her steps. In fact, after she was awoken by the weeping of the child that was so inconsiderately abandoned in the middle of the night, she went to the door to see what was making so much noise and when she saw the baby wrapped in a small brown blanket that was embroidered with an elvish name; she immediately closed the door with the plan of ignoring it and going back to bed. Luckily for Rossarinya, even Auria couldn't bring herself to be so cruel. Auria reluctantly took Rossarinya in and ended up raising her as her apprentice. As soon as Rossarinya was old enough, Auria put her to work. She would send her on errands to collect ingredients she needed for her potions. Because of this Rossarinya learned how to recognize many different plants and there uses. She also learned a good amount of alchemy from watching and helping Auria make the potions.

Rossarinya started showing talent with magic at a very young age. Being secluded as she was, she spent most of her time in the forest. There she watched the animals and learn how to read their behavior. She soon became very close with the animals of the forest and found that she was able to read their thoughts. After learning of this, Auria helped her further develop her magical ability. Soon she was able to communicate with any animal telepathically. As her powers grew she realized that she also had the ability of controlling the animals' will. This power frightened her at first as she didn't like being able to control her friends, but with Auria's help she learned to control her power and understood that having this power didn't mean she could no longer be friends with animals. She just had to use it wisely.

Beside magic, Auria also taught Rossarinya many other useful skills. She taught her how to sew and make her own clothes, mostly just to get out of doing it herself, but it is still a useful skill nonetheless. She taught her manners that she herself didn't even follow simply to make Rossarinya more bearable to live with. She taught Rossarinya how to treat wounds and make natural medicine. This skill Rossarinya put to use whenever an animal she knew got injured. Auria also taught her how to fight and defend herself, giving her a dagger for protection. Being a wizard, Auria made a point to know many languages, as spells came in many tongues, and these she taught to Rossarinya. Perhaps the most memorable thing Auria taught Rossarinya, however, was the many stories she told her. Whenever Rossarinya would act up or was upset Auria would sit her down and tell her a story. They were fantastical stories that Rossarinya never believed could be real, but Auria always swore they were. These stories would capture Rossarinya's imagination and sparked her love for reading.

Auria wasn't Rossarinya's only teacher, the animals she befriended also taught her important skills that she would use throughout her life. They taught her how to survive in the wild. She learned were to find edible plants, good water, and how to spot danger. She would often spends days in the forest learning from the animals, and it was when she was on one of these excursions that her life changed forever. After she had been gone for two days, she was returning to the cottage when she suddenly felt something was wrong. She sprinted to her home, but it was too late. Auria was dead. Her body laid lifeless of the kitchen floor. She had been cooking Honey-cake, one of Rossarinya's favorite foods. In that moment Rossarinya's whole world was shattered. She couldn't believe it. How could such a powerful witch like Auria be killed? Overcome with grief, she ran. She didn't stop to take supplies or rummage through Auria's things; she just ran. She didn't believe it. She couldn't believe it. With tears streaming down her face she ran away and never looked back.

She lived many years in solitude after Auria's death. She would travel from forest to forest, never staying very long in any one location. She left the only home she ever knew and didn't want another one, she was content with merely surviving. She spent even more time surrounded by animals now. This lack of human influence greatly impacted Rossarinya's behavior. She stopped talking all together, although never forgetting how, she just found language pointless when she communicated with animals telepathically. She began expressing her emotions through body language, much in the way animals do. She became keen on picking up the subtle cues that revealed what an animal was feeling without reading their minds.

As the years passed, Rossarinya witnessed the destruction of the forests to make way for human villages. She didn't know much about humans and although angry, she couldn't help but be curious about them. With the forests growing increasingly smaller, she was finally forced to leave the woods that she loved and venture into the unfamiliar towns of the humans who were destroying them.

Is there more to yer tale?: Adventure, Ho!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 1
Both are accepted!!

Reveal yer'self, hero!:
pirate_girl_render_by_madam_shyarly-d73mn4b.png

What be yer name, Stranger?:
Dread Pirate Rosalita (her actual name is Rosie Dumblegust)

Be you a lad or a lass?:
Female

What be yer lineage?:
Hobbit

Primary: Pirate
Secondary: Swashbuckler​

Axe or Sword?:
Rosalita usually uses the silver pistol that she stole from a nobleman during one of her first raids. It's not the most effective gun, but it certainly is fancy.

When enemies close in, Rosalita will switch to the silver sabre she keeps on her left hip.

*Note: The position of her sabre is a charade, Rosalita is actually ambidextrous but favors her left hand. She will use her right hand unless she comes across a worthy challenger, to which she will switch to her left.​

• Sea charts
  • A common brown cloak
  • Documentation stating her rightful ownership of the Jabberwocky
  • A skull charm that she claims is magical (but isn't)

What be yer talents?:
Race Talents:

Hobbit: Brewing, Sneak, Move Silently, Negotiation, Diplomacy

Class Talents:

Pirate - Smuggle, Pickpocket, Seafaring

Swashbuckler - Brawling, Melee Weapons, Fast-Draw

Chosen Talents:
  • Con
  • Lying
  • Navigation
  • Persuasion
  • Sabotage
  • Ship handling

Know ye any spells?:
None

Rosie Dumblegust lived the life of any normal Hobbit. She quietly lived in a hole in the ground, eating several meals a day and not craving any kind of adventure. This changed, however, when a traveling Human merchant came to her village. She visited the man and he offered to share stories of his travels. Curious, Rosie listened to his first tale, and after that invited him over for second breakfast every day to hear a new one. When it was finally time for the merchant to move on, he gave Rosie a book in exchange for the hospitality she showed him over the course of the last week.

Rosie read the book, a compilation of stories about the Dread Pirate Robbins, and didn't think much on it. They were lovely tales, but adventure wasn't for the Little Folk. However, soon Rosie began having dreams of grand adventures on the high seas, and before she knew it, she was craving to live the life of a pirate. The following spring, Rosie packed her essentials and traveled to the nearest port city. The sights and sounds were terrifying, but exhilarating, and Rosie made her way to the portside tavern.

As luck would have it, the Jabberwocky was docking there, and Captain Talburn himself was at the tavern. Filled with fear, but conviction, Rosie approached the pirate captain and asked him to make her a member of the crew. The man laughed in her face, but who wouldn't? A tiny Hobbit, no larger than a human child, wanting to become a dreaded pirate? However, Rosie wasn't going to give up, and she made him a deal. She would pay for passage on his ship and would prove her worth.

Curiosity caused the captain to agree, and Rosie set sail for the first time in her life. It was an amazing experience, and she believed that regardless of whether she became a pirate, this trip was worth every gold piece. After a few days, they came across a nobleman's ship, and it was time for Rosie to prove herself. She boarded the ship along with the crew, and while they were busy fighting, Rosie got to work. Weaving her way around the battlefield, she swiped the belongings of the nobleman's crew while they fought, placing them in a sack she'd brought. Before the battle was over, Rosie had nabbed enough to fill her sack. The last thing she spotted was the nobleman of the ship, cowering in the corner. It was bold, but adrenaline pushed Rosie forward. She stole the man's silver pistol and matching sabre right from under his sniveling nose.

After the ship was seized and looted, Rosie presented the sack to the captain. Captain Talburn gave a boisterous laugh that filled the air, and it was clear that Rosie was now a part of the crew. Talburn gave Rosie a new name, Rosalita, and she began her training as a swashbuckler, using the pistol and sabre she'd proudly stolen. After a few years, Rosalita could fight with the best of them, and her pick pocketing had improved ten-fold. Her knowledge of the sea was now just as vast as it was, and her love for it grew as well.

But Captain Talburn was getting on in years, and he soon decided he would retire, along with a few of the other older crewmates. Talburn declared that Rosalita would become the new captain of the Jabberwocky, and after a few head bashings, the rest of the crew agreed. A year has gone by since she took up the title of pirate captain, and Rosalita has adjusted to the role quite nicely. Being a 3'11" female captain doesn't sound intimidating, but those who travel the seas often know to be wary of Dread Pirate Rosalita. Everyone agrees, what she lacks in size, she makes up for in spunk.

Is there more to yer tale?:

- Rosalita isn't as ruthless as her predecessor, but she is by no means a saint. Generally a fair woman, she steals from every boat she come across but chooses not to plunder everything...unless it's a nobleman's ship. Because let's face it, looting everything on a nobleman's ship is like stealing a bread roll at a five course meal.

- Rosalita secretly yearns to live the life of an adventure romance, but hasn't quite found a suitable love interest, for obvious reasons. *points to the filthy scallywags that inhabit her crew* It is rumored that she is more likely to help if there is a good-looking man involved. The likelihood rises with each good-looking man added in.

- Rosalita has a special code. If someone says the phrase, "Let us travel with Dumblegusto" she knows that they are a friend of the family and will give them special treatment.

- Though good at lying, stealing, and conning, Rosalita is downright HORRIBLE at gambling. Her luck lies in everything but the cards. She claims it's the side effect of her magical skull charm. (but that's a lie)

- Rosalita refuses to let her speaking skills deteriorate just because she's a pirate. However, when living with low-lifes for years on end, things are bound to rub off. Her most common mistakes are saying "yer" instead of "you're" and not pronouncing the "g" when using progressive tense (-ing).

"Adventure, Ho!"​
I made Rosalita a while back and PMed her to Sora, planning to reveal her when we needed a ship. However, I thought it would be a good idea to post her now so I could ask questions.

AAB - Would you like me to change Rosalita's name? (it's kinda funny we both had Rose in our Hobbits' names) Since my halfling won't be introduced for a while, I have time to change it easy-peazy.

Shizuka - Do you pronounce the first part of your elf's name "Ross" like "moss" or like "rose"? Because if it's like rose, then Rosalita's name sounds close to your elf's name. I don't mind changing it if you think it would be a bother. Again, I won't be introducing my halfling for a while so I have time to come up with something new.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pronunciation is Rohs-sar-inn-yah so they do sound a bit similar, but I don't mind. Personally, it wouldn't really bother me, so it's your call.

Since Primrose goes by "Prim" not "Rose" and flowers are common for hobbit lasses to be named after, it shouldn't be a problem. Your character image doesn't look like a hobbit, though. While trying to find something resembling a hobbit cleric, I came across some hobbit pirate images. Would you be willing to look at some, or are you set on that appearance?

Reveal yer'self, hero!:
to_starboard_by_elpinoy-d58mzl5.jpg

What be yer name, Stranger?: Elsys "Ragnarok" Sanguilus "The Swordsinger" (commonly known as "Ragnarok the Swordsinger")

Be you a lad or a lass?: Aye, she be a lass.

What be yer lineage?: Human with a Draenei grandmother

What be yer area of expertise?: Swashbuckler (Fighter)/Blue Mage (Magician)

Axe or Sword?: Cutlass or Rapier, Pistol or Rifle
If using a cutlass, attacks are stronger, but not as fast or evasive. If using a rapier, attacks are weaker, but the added flourish makes her faster and more precise. Elsys specializes in swords over guns.
If using a pistol, her shots are shorter range, but reload is faster. If using a rifle, her shots have longer range and accuracy, but reload is longer.

• A classy but old cutlass inherited from her old ship captain
  • A pristine short rifle - not as good as a musket, but it's a fine weapon
  • A sentient and stylish but otherwise useless pet bearded drake
  • A flask filled up with bourbon
  • Another flask filled with rum
  • A classy but scanty old garb back from her days as a first mate

What be yer talents?:
Race Talents
Alchemy, Bartering, Bribery, Cooking, Farming, (and to a lesser extent) Mysticism, Astronomy, Sex Appeal, Speak Language, Weaving

Class Talents
Brawling, Melee Weapons, Fast-Draw, Mysticism, Alchemy, Herbology

Personal Talents
  • Blade - Elsys is a learned fencer and an experienced swordswoman. Years of practice dueling the men she served alongside on a ship have strengthened her swordhand.
  • Evaluate - It's best to know your enemy and your surroundings. Elsys made many key calls back in her pirating days and had the ear of her ship captain because of her good handle on things. She likes to play by ear.
  • Leadership - The trust her captain had in her was not misplaced. Before her ship was taken from her, Elsys was an accomplished pirate with a loyal crew.
  • Sex Appeal - Just look at her. Having Draenei blood certainly helps.
  • Sleight of Hand - Comes with the knowledge of fencing. In and out of combat, it's hard to figure out what she's up to.
  • Tailor - Despite the classy design, her outfit is a piecemeal wrap from her days as a pillaging pirate. She's added to and taken from it as the years went by. Don't ask how she's taken from it, she's already half naked.

Know ye any spells?:
  • Summoning - If Elsys ever loses her blade, she can summon it back into her hand, or even make a copy of it for trickier enemies or groups. Strangely, when on a ship she owns, she can also summon someone else's weapons right out of their hands and into hers - only on her ship, however. Pirate magics and all that.
  • Elemental Control - Comes with being a Blue Mage. She can learn an enemy's elemental magics or a creature's natural magics through experiencing them. If she survives fighting a dragon, she'll be able to cast dragonfire.

Ach, so let me spin ye a yarn of an overthrown pirate princess. I'm the captain of the old ship known as the Shaded Scourge. Twas a fine galleon of blackened finish I got from me old captain after he bought it at the end of a naval officer's cutlass. Ahl get back to that later, might wanna remind me, aye? But the Shaded Scourge was a fine ship, black as jet, tough as nails, and quick as a swallow with a tailwind. I served on her crew since I was but a wee lass after I got kidnapped from mah settlement in the mainland o' Vish. Captain Shade took a likin' to me when I was presented as booty and raised me as his own. Fer a pirate, Shade was really kinda soft on li'l'uns, or at least he was to me. I started at the bottom though but ol' Shade gave me plenty o' opportunity to prove meself. I was his prodige, and I was a natural with a sword. I oft' dueled with the others of about my rank and could hold me own with the other crewmen right well.

Now, it was the chef of the ship, Josiah "Spark" Fulmin, a thunder Draconian, who taught me about fencing. He was the top duelist of the ship but he only fought off the ship, too busy cookin' to participate in raids. Mostly just defendin' the captain from the navy. He was a sarcastic bastard but he was likable. His food was good and he was the classiest man on the ship. And he was about my age. I was around seventeen years at the time, he was nineteen. I liked the way he moved. 'S all I'm gonna say about that. Bad blood, not because I don't like 'im. I loved the bastard, rest 'is soul. Killed in a raid from another crew. I killed every one of 'em meself afterwards, Shade knew I wanted to kill 'em. They got theirs. Well, after he found paradise in the barrel of a pistol, I was the top duelist. I even dueled Shade a couple times 'n' he couldn't take me on. I soon became the first mate after the old one tried to sell us out. That bastard gave it up at the tip of the bow, his bones still decorate it.

Now we were sailing by the Blacklands when I happened across some of the more docile wildlife. These little, haired lizards what normally ran off when they saw ya, one o' 'em took a shinin' to me. Old Janus 'ere, the wee dragon on me shoulder, 'e's a smart one. He talks, he listens, he dresses, he sews, really he's kinda incredible. Shy though. Only talks to me when nobody else is around. Only ever said a word to Shade, and I had to press 'im for that. Aye, Janus is me mate, has been for a couple years now. He's really kinda useless, and he's not afraid to admit it, but he's a good mate. Fun to be around, smart, unique. Quite the conversation point. Wouldn't give 'im up for the world.

But anyway, remember how I was tellin' ye how Shade bit the big one? Aye, I've yet to avenge 'im. Happened a year 'n' a half ago. Gave the ship n' crew to me. Been on the lookout for that officer e'er since. Can't find the bastard. Heard he became an admiral. Someone else said he retired. Another one told me he was discharged. Still lookin' for 'im. Name o' Elias Keep, you 'eard o' 'im? Ach, it's fine if ye ain't, how often does one person hear of a man. So I'd been sailin' with me crew for about a year after Shade's death, stirrin' trouble tryin' ta get Keep on me tail when another officer caught us ashore. The Scourge is with the navy on Vish now, 'n' I'm tryin' a get it back. Most o' me crew's in prison as well, need'n' a get them out. Speakin' of, would you be in'erested in joinin' me crew?

Is there more to yer tale?:

Janus the Bearded Drake is a small, docile elder drake with no real use in combat. He provides moral support and can scavenge for food, but is otherwise kind of useless. Not even slightly a burden, however. He takes care of himself.

Elsys got the name "Ragnarok" from her combat prowess. Many who fought her and survived referred to her as a one woman apocalypse. "The Swordsinger", however, comes from her combination of swordplay and magic in combat.

Despite having a gun and being a fairly good shot, Elsys almost never uses her gun except to fire at enemy crew before boarding or when she needs to take out other gunners.

Last edited:
Glamorous~

I was honestly worried you were never going to look her over, days passed that I waited on this, thank you~

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't realize it was posted. Notifications went wonky for a bit ^^

It happens to all of us man no problem

Sora, your use of the word "halflings" confused me (starting with wondering what would be frightening about halflings). I guess according to your definition, halflings aren't halflings.

I think she just meant Halfling as in Half-breed not as in the usual Tolkien sense as meaning a Hobbit.

*he

And yeah, in Garrn, Halflings refer to beings like Half-Elves or Half-Orcs, not Halflings as in Hobbits. Hobbits are just called Hobbits or "Little Folk"

*he

And yeah, in Garrn, Halflings refer to beings like Half-Elves or Half-Orcs, not Halflings as in Hobbits. Hobbits are just called Hobbits or "Little Folk"

If that's the case Sora, it might be a good idea to edit your first post in the Race section. You said that the main name for Hobbits/Little Folk was Halfings.

AAB: Thank you for the offer, but I was basing Rosalita on the image that Sora was using. (where she has more human-esque proportions but is small like a Hobbit/Dwarf) I was assuming that just as humans come in different shapes and sizes, so too do the Little Folk. (and maybe the group of Hobbits that Rosalita came from have different race blood in them, like Human, so they have more human-like proportions)

Yeah I'll have to tweak that.

@Xylime Pirate competition, eh?

I didn't think it would be fair to start with a ship and crew. So I doctored it up that they were captured. fite me 1on1 fgt ill rek ur shti

Reveal yer'self, hero!:

ranger.jpg

What be yer name, Stranger?: Icarus Grant

Be you a lad or a lass?: Male

What be yer lineage?: Human

Primary - Bow and Blade Ranger
Secondary - Gambler
Axe or Sword?: Bow for long-range, Hunting Knives for short range

• Journal
  • Tent
  • His Bow + 20 Arrows
  • Bandages
  • Rations
  • A Pack Of Cards

What be yer talents? (Abilities/Skills): Climbing, Cooking, Tracking, Stealth, Speech, Lying

Know ye any spells? (Magic): Can manipulate fire through extreme concentration

Tell me yer tale, an' I'll listen (Background):

Almost ten years ago, far to the west, a small child woke up in the middle of a field with no recollection of how he had arrived there, as if he had simply fallen from the sky. A boy from the nearby village, a curious little fellow named Grant, was the first to discover him as he went out to play the next morning, finding the child still lay there with a broken leg. The boy's parents were alerted and, soon afterwards, the whole village was aware of the newcomers presence. As the child was taken into care, the small, isolated village began to get restless. What if he was a sign? What if he was an enemy spy? A demon? A warning? A criminal? They wanted nothing to do with him, and certainly made it clear. Mobs formed on the doorstep of the boys new residence almost nightly, the windows were smashed and after a while the owner of the local inn stopped serving the family who had taken the boy in drinks. That was the last straw, the family had a choice, either take care of a strangers child or stay in the only safe town for miles. The next day the child was left outside the walls of the settlement, banished from the only humans he knew.

Over the coming years the boy learned to fend for himself in the surrounding wilderness, and eventually moved east to new hunting grounds. He took on a new identity, the name Icarus from stories that his foster family had told him at his bedside while his leg was healing, and the name Grant after the little boy that marked the first human contact in his memory. The new settlements met him with much more hospitality than he had previously been shown, especially once they had seen his hunting skills, and welcomed his trade. And so Icarus made his money by hunting, along with some gambling on the side. He would even occasionally use his fire manipulation on street corners to impress children and make a small profit when times got hard.

After a while of the same repetitive routine, Icarus' gambling addiction took a turn for the worst and he found himself owing a little too much money to the wrong kind of people. Forced to leave his hometown once again, he made up his mind to find out what happened to him all those years ago. Returning to the small village he had grown up outside of, he discovered absolutely nothing. All evidence of his arrival and departure had been swept out of existence years ago, either by the seasons or wild animals.
Icarus now wanders the land, searching for any rumor or silly story that may help him find his true origins.

Is there more to yer tale? (Other): Icarus killed a bear at the age of 18 and still has one of it's teeth on a necklace.

Adventure Ho!

Last edited by a moderator: