Reality's Harsh [Non-Canon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_inline_mwtngft64n1s43kjo.jpg

"Well... Ichi could be anywhere at this point, but I remember he said something about books in that cover story he gave towards me... Maybe he could be passing off as a student to some that run into him and are unaware of who he really is... like how he tricked me... And knowing that this is the most prominent college institution in Japan, he might be lingering around here..."

While some assume that Penelope was a hopeless case due to her constant traumatic blackouts and anxiety-filled personality, her work in reading in the lines of certain problems in real life situations made her ability to think out these possibilities be helpful for what they had to do. Easy to theorize and say, but the real work came to testing this theory out and seeing if Ichi lingered somewhere ould prove to be difficult. Scratching the side of her head, Penelope gave this a bit more thought, because something had to help in tracking the serial killer down.
ww5uFKZ.jpg

"Tch, well not much that can be done about that."

Astaroth knew it might have only attracted more suspicion if Penelope went snooping around where she shouldn't be. Ichi primarily targeted children with some grisly exceptions here and there. While he didn't necessarily give a fig about humanity with some exceptions here and there, he'd be just as bad as Ichi if he lead this girl to her doom. Good intentions or not. Still, she proposed an interesting alternative.

"...If it's the only shot we got then I'd say go for it. But if you see him? Don't try and stop him yourself. The last thing we need is you getting hurt trying to take down a deranged killer all by yourself."

~~~~
Speaking of which, the killer in question had actually returned to his dorm through some clever uses of stealth. Locking his door, Ichi stepped into the bathroom and twirled three of his screwdrivers around in hand.

YBHWM57.jpg

"Demons, huh? Figure I'd attract one sooner or later.." Ichi mumbled as he slipped off his shirt and tossed it into the bathtub. As i was coated with some of his own blood and the blood from the poor clerk he'd killed, best to wash it off. The same went for the jeans he was wearing. Though with the stinger-shaped tear in them at the knee? He might as well have junked them. Would be bad idea to invite any kind of questions on his person.

But was Ichi afraid of this new development?

Hell no! He reveled in the idea that supernatural forces were apparently getting tired of his shit! Here he thought he'd just been a lowly college student who'd kill a few kids, get caught, get hung and that'd be the end of that. But if a being from the pits of Hell itself wanted a piece of him? Who was he to refuse?

"Hehehe, wait until we meet again my horned friend!~"

@Gummi Bunnies

"...If it's the only shot we got then I'd say go for it. But if you see him? Don't try and stop him yourself. The last thing we need is you getting hurt trying to take down a deranged killer all by yourself."
tumblr_inline_mwtnfdRb2S1s43kjo.jpg

"Y-Yeah... I understand..."

It was a no-brainer that she couldn't do much to stop the killer on her own. She had no self-defense training or anything related to combat experience. With the best of her ability, Penelope was confident that she could at least narrow down the routes that Ichi took whenever he decided to proceed with his killings... and see how the rest of it is put to a stop.

tumblr_inline_mwtng38H101s43kjo.jpg

"In that case... I'll go and do what I have to do regarding this book I need to hand over to a friend of mine in the boys' dormitory... and keep an eye out for Ichi... I... I'll be careful too."

With that said, Penelope hurried herself back into the building, descending down the staircase towards her own dorm room. While she didn't verbally express this thought, she was surprised to hear of a demon wanting a bad person like Ichi dead. From those little fairytales and stories told to her when she was a small child, Penelope remembered that demons were interpreted to be malevolent beings, always wanting to commit terrible things to people. Here... Astaroth was different. Not only that he wanted this killer to be stopped, but Penelope was surprised to hear that her assistance with this would be helpful in this scenario.

Entering her dorm room to look through her baggage for that book she had to hand over to a friend, Penelope started to think on how she always witnessed or heard some bad deeds done by bad people. There was Black Raven... and then Lapis Lazuli... and now Ichi. While the Black Raven has been rumored to have gone inactive, Penelope still heard reports of the notorious Lapis Lazuli continuing her killing business here in Tokyo... and on top of that, the college student had only learned of Ichi's status as a serial killer today. She still beat herself up on how her brother was killed by Lapis Lazuli... on how her sister had mysteriously disappeared during her trip to Tokyo... and on how Eliza had blocked out all forms of communication to anybody, including Penelope herself, due to her traumatized state of losing Blake.

It all was a harsh reminder of reality, that the world isn't as bright as some others say it to be. And even so, Penelope took it upon herself to make a difference in the world, and that was a daring task for the girl, who had gone through terrible things and trauma throughout recent years.

Her depressive thoughts came to a halt when she came upon the book she needed to hand over. Picking up her mood a bit, Penelope exited her dorm room with this book, closing and locking the door behind her as she proceeded to head towards the boys' dormitory building. For a moment, she thought that she wouldn't be able to see anything off during her time of giving this to a friend, which would be terribly short for her to really see things in depth if they were out of place or not. Just thinking on how this wouldn't actually work began to flood her mind with doubts, and those said doubts distracted her from stopping herself... resulting with her running into another student attending this college.

tumblr_inline_mwtngtUyGe1s43kjo.jpg

"Oh... my bad! That's definitely my fault there, ma'am. I'm really sorry about that!"

For a split second, Penelope saw that this girl had fallen over, her binder tumbling to the ground and loose papers flying all over the hallway. Said girl happened to have short black hair and a peculiar blue crystal shard applied to her left cheek. Before Penelope could even offer help to this girl, she scurried quickly enough to gather the papers and her binder sloppily in her arms and storming off, not giving Penelope enough time to see what was up with her.

tumblr_inline_mwtngw78Nl1s43kjo.jpg

"... what's up with her?"

She asked this to herself as she got herself up onto her feet, picking up her book from the ground from their earlier mess. However, Penelope noticed that the girl left a certain sheet of paper behind on the floor.

tumblr_inline_mwtnhmuDEY1s43kjo.jpg

"Hey! I believe you dropped this! ... hello?!"

Holding the paper in her hand, Penelope called for the girl to come back and retrieve her paper, but it was already too late since the girl had turned the corner into another hallway many moments before Penelope realized that something was left behind. Sighing in dismay, Penelope looked over to see what was written on the paper, hoping there was a name left on it so she knew who to return this to. It might be important notes or even an assignment the person had to turn in!

But it wasn't anything like that... It appeared to be a paper with some address typed onto it. That was all to be found on the paper, but to Penelope, maybe it was the address to someone that knew about the girl? Sighing, Penelope folded the paper and put it away into her pockets. Knowing that she had something to do, she proceeded into the boys' dormitory, making her way to her friend's dorm room. Along the way, she kept an eye out for any suspicious clues left in the hallway and the dorm room doors.

By the time she got to her friend's dorm, she casually knocked onto the door, her eyes darting around for any of those indicators that Ichi was around.

tumblr_inline_mwtnkrHKt21s43kjo.jpg

"Er... it's Penelope! I told you I was coming along, Joel!"

To help pass the time since she knew her friend took a bit to get to the door, most likely in some intense gaming session at the moment, Penelope tapped her fingers in a rhythm on the book she was holding in her hands, and passively keeping an eye out for Ichi or any sign of him, just like she and Astaroth had discussed.

@Chewy Rabbits

But it wasn't anything like that... It appeared to be a paper with some address typed onto it. That was all to be found on the paper, but to Penelope, maybe it was the address to someone that knew about the girl? Sighing, Penelope folded the paper and put it away into her pockets. Knowing that she had something to do, she proceeded into the boys' dormitory, making her way to her friend's dorm room. Along the way, she kept an eye out for any suspicious clues left in the hallway and the dorm room doors.

By the time she got to her friend's dorm, she casually knocked onto the door, her eyes darting around for any of those indicators that Ichi was around.

tumblr_inline_mwtnkrHKt21s43kjo.jpg

"Er... it's Penelope! I told you I was coming along, Joel!"

To help pass the time since she knew her friend took a bit to get to the door, most likely in some intense gaming session at the moment, Penelope tapped her fingers in a rhythm on the book she was holding in her hands, and passively keeping an eye out for Ichi or any sign of him, just like she and Astaroth had discussed.
rzkwdSw.jpg

Having finished cleaning the blood out of his clothes and drying them off, Ichi had stepped out from his room. He'd been able to escape detection for the most part. Usually thanks to the fact that he left no witnesses and in cases like the 7-11, he destroyed any footage that might have incriminated him otherwise. Which meant he could walk around plain as day and nobody would suspect a thing. But as he stepped out of his room, Ichi blinked as he noticed the girl from earlier walking around. Had she been here looking for him?

Had that demon spilled the beans to her about who he actually was? If so, that was a damn shame. In the brief interaction he had with Penelope, she didn't seem so bad. Sure, she might have almost gotten him killed by going off into some kind of trauma induced trance. But hey she got him to where he wanted to go and he couldn't have asked for more! It was a real damn shame he was going to have to snap her neck.

But not here of course! Too many witnesses for that. Making his way towards Penelope, but making sure to stand behind her, he ran his fingers through a handful of her hair and took a long sniff.

Kb8z2ny.png

"Real pleasure to see you here. Don't scream, play it nice and cool alright?"

@Gummi Bunnies

Kb8z2ny.png

"Real pleasure to see you here. Don't scream, play it nice and cool alright?"
tumblr_inline_mwtngcJg2S1s43kjo.jpg

"Y-Yeah... of course."

Penelope stuttered these words out, unsure on what to say. She recognized that voice... and she knew from his tone of voice that he was catching onto what she was aiming to do. So her deduction was right that Ichi was hiding out at this particular college, but now she was completely unsure on how to go about this encounter. Just at that moment the serial killer would run his hand through her hair, the timid girl froze up like a statue, but yet trying her best not to lose her cool.

Soon enough, her friend had opened up his dorm room door, a bit puzzled to see what was going on in front of his dorm. For now... it seemed like this friend of Penelope's was unaware of Ichi's actual identity, considering that both Penelope and Joel were not native to Japan.

"Oh, hey Penelope. Er... who's this?"

Oh god, this was going to get awkward, wasn't it? Penelope pretty much forced a smile, because she didn't want to get certain friends of hers being involved in this whole situation too.

tumblr_inline_mwtngnxquY1s43kjo.jpg

"Just a guy I met while getting here... Nothing too much... also here's that book you lent me before you went overseas to enroll here..."

Awkwardly holding out that book, her friend Joel only blinked in confusion with Penelope's behavior as he took the book from her hands.

"Ooookay then. Guess I'll see you in biology class tomorrow..."

With that said, the dorm room door is closed, leaving Penelope and Ichi alone in the hallway. Surely enough she didn't turn around to face Ichi as of now, but she happened to say one thing despite being frozen up like a deer caught by the headlights.

tumblr_inline_mwtnk6Y06Y1s43kjo.jpg

"... care to tell me why you're saying for me to play it nice and cool?"

@Chewy Rabbits

"Ooookay then. Guess I'll see you in biology class tomorrow..."

With that said, the dorm room door is closed, leaving Penelope and Ichi alone in the hallway. Surely enough she didn't turn around to face Ichi as of now, but she happened to say one thing despite being frozen up like a deer caught by the headlights.

tumblr_inline_mwtnk6Y06Y1s43kjo.jpg

"... care to tell me why you're saying for me to play it nice and cool?"
yJbpORe.png

"Yeah, glad I got to meet ya!" Ichi exclaimed with a friendly enough wave. Once he was sure that it was just the two of them however, he leaned in and pressed his lips against Penelope's neck. Keeping them there for a brief moment, he eventually pulled back as he snickered. "What? I thought it was pretty simple. You don't want to just turn and say hello right? You build up to it and then you say 'hey! It's you again!"

Throughout all of this Ichi's tone remained the same almost 'next-door neighbor' level of friendliness. But as his voice grew quieter, it only seemed to intensify in seriousness.

"But I wasn't planning on seeing you again. Specially not after how I left you. You saw what attacked me right? That...Demon."

@Gummi Bunnies

yJbpORe.png

"Yeah, glad I got to meet ya!" Ichi exclaimed with a friendly enough wave. Once he was sure that it was just the two of them however, he leaned in and pressed his lips against Penelope's neck. Keeping them there for a brief moment, he eventually pulled back as he snickered. "What? I thought it was pretty simple. You don't want to just turn and say hello right? You build up to it and then you say 'hey! It's you again!"

Throughout all of this Ichi's tone remained the same almost 'next-door neighbor' level of friendliness. But as his voice grew quieter, it only seemed to intensify in seriousness.

"But I wasn't planning on seeing you again. Specially not after how I left you. You saw what attacked me right? That...Demon."

@Gummi Bunnies
tumblr_inline_mwtnhxixwb1s43kjo.jpg

"... you can't be serious... like... actual demons?"

While it was already known to her that there was such thing as demons, considering that she had met Astaroth in secret at the rooftops, Penelope wasn't actually aware that Ichi had encountered Astaroth back when she had dropped him off. It may had happened during that time she was having another panic attack and a traumatic flashback, so she wasn't aware of this at all. All that she could give in response to Ichi was a skeptical sound in her voice, not exactly looking back at him.

"You do know that demons don't actually exist, right?"

@Chewy Rabbits

While it was already known to her that there was such thing as demons, considering that she had met Astaroth in secret at the rooftops, Penelope wasn't actually aware that Ichi had encountered Astaroth back when she had dropped him off. It may had happened during that time she was having another panic attack and a traumatic flashback, so she wasn't aware of this at all. All that she could give in response to Ichi was a skeptical sound in her voice, not exactly looking back at him.

"You do know that demons don't actually exist, right?"
cu8BHCp.jpg

"Oh, right right! Yeah, demons only exist in the Bible and stuff, silly me!"

Ichi exclaimed sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his head. He might have been insane but even he knew what was real and what wasn't! Though as it seemed like he was going to simply take Ichi's word for it, the killer turned and gripped onto Penelope's shoulder as he pointed down to the wound on his leg where Astaroth had stabbed him.

"So, no demons huh? Then how do you think I got hurt while I heading to that 7-11? You didn't drive off until I was shambling towards the entrance which means you must have seen me limping! Funny how that works huh? I get out of your car and a minute later I'm limping? Yet you just brush off the idea of a demon as nothing..."

@Gummi Bunnies

tumblr_inline_mwtnh25hMU1s43kjo.jpg

This isn't good... he's... he's catching onto something... Think Penelope... THINK! What exactly was I up to during those moments?

Penelope could tell that this wasn't going in a good direction at all, and she knew that another slip of her words could mean total bad news. So what can she say? She remembered seeing him limp away, but... she couldn't remember her exact thought process then. In the middle of trying to remember what exactly happened when she had noticed him limping after she had dropped him off, that thought alone correlated with another incident that occurred within her mind.

tumblr_inline_mwtnestNIV1s43kjo.jpg

"I... don't remember... hearing anything... that could've lead... to that wound... I only saw you limping... sorry if I can't... say any more than that..."

The overwhelming trauma starting to grow throughout her mind again, Penelope couldn't think straight, her words going all over when it came to answering. She could only hope that she didn't dig herself a deeper hole...

@Chewy Rabbits

tumblr_inline_mwtnestNIV1s43kjo.jpg

"I... don't remember... hearing anything... that could've lead... to that wound... I only saw you limping... sorry if I can't... say any more than that..."

The overwhelming trauma starting to grow throughout her mind again, Penelope couldn't think straight, her words going all over when it came to answering. She could only hope that she didn't dig herself a deeper hole...

YBHWM57.jpg

Well, to be honest Ichi wasn't sure whether she was on the verge of having another breakdown or she was just playing the fool. Was the pauses because she was feeling stressed out by being approached by him? Had that demon told her who he really was? He had to have told her! The whole reason he followed the two of them was probably because he thought she was his squeeze. Interesting enough theory and one Ichi would have likely considered had he been in Astaroth's shoes. But as it stood, he had little to no interest for companionship in that manner.

But what he did have a vested interest in was not going to jail. Sure, it'd mean so many people would be calling for his death and that'd be amusing in of itself. But he still had so many people who deserved to die! Who'd do it if he wasn't around? What, would he have to wait for nature to take it's course? Who had the time to wait around for that to happen? He could have been hanging from a noose by the time his would-be victims kicked the bucket. Then he'd never know whether they got theirs or not!

Which is why normally, Ichi wouldn't have bothered dealing with someone like Penelope. Ass a matter of fact he'd have probably avoided her entirely if it wasn't for the dire need for transportation and a craving for chips. But now he knew for sure that she had to know too much. Which is why he'd wrap an arm around her waist while leaning in close with a smirk upon his face.

"C'mon, c'mon! Stay with me here! I know you're fucking playing my fiddle here. You're telling me you drove off to school without any problems? Seems a bit strange after I get hurt right after leaving your car. Don't fucking jerk me around!"

@Gummi Bunnies

tumblr_inline_mwtnkbudXZ1s43kjo.jpg

I'm starting to feel... numb everywhere... oh god please, not now... any time but now...

This wasn't what Penelope had planned. It was supposed be as simple as taking a quick peek in the boys' dormitory building for any sign of Ichi, and then making her way back to her dorm room as if nothing had happened. She wasn't supposed to run into him in person... this wasn't supposed to happen this way. Even with whatever responses she could think up with, the college student was aware that the serial killer wasn't going to be swayed by her words. She had already said certain things that gave this situation an edge, and she could tell that he was catching onto her...

In such helpless times... Penelope would start to think of how her big sister had always protected her from those terrible incidents, like on the school playground against those bullies. While Penelope herself couldn't do much to defend herself at the time, the surprise of seeing her own sister scare off those bullies amazed her, and this led to her looking up to her sister Rinato so much. In times where she couldn't figure out the solution, she remembered on how her brother Blake had assisted her and guided the way to a solution, whether it be a real life dilemma or a school-related assignment.

With how things were turning out for her right now, Penelope desperately wanted Rinato to be here and defend her... and Blake to be here too and guide her out of this mess. Yet, the world was too cruel, and taken those two dear siblings of hers away. As if it wasn't cruel enough, Penelope was thrust into the worst possible scenario, where the life she was hoping to have would be cut short. When Rinato and Blake had passed, Penelope had the urgent feeling to "join" them, but she now... realized that that wasn't the right answer. She didn't want that for herself, and now it could possibly occur to her.

Before she could even catch herself from these terrible memories and thoughts, Penelope drifted away into another traumatic episode, shutting away her awareness of her dangerous situation and flooding her consciousness with past memories that she wished that she could do over. Perceived visuals and voices of her sister began to haunt her from inside her head.

tumblr_inline_nioeyhleBK1sjp02i.jpg

"I know this is pretty abrupt, but I have work to attend over in Japan."

Don't go.

tumblr_inline_nioevtlCFy1sjp02i.jpg

"Don't worry too much, you'll give yourself a big headache from constantly worrying. I'll be fine."

I said don't go...

tumblr_inline_niof0wrh321sjp02i.jpg

"Maaaybe to keep you in touch with me all the time, you can hold onto my necklace while I'm gone. You don't mind holding it for me, huh Nel?"

It won't be the same without you here. Keep your necklace and don't go.

tumblr_inline_nioev0VikM1sjp02i.jpg

"... stay strong, Nel. Despite these hard times... I know you can do it. You've grown."

No... I can't. Don't go... Rin!! Don't... don't... !!

As nervous as Penelope had first appeared on the outside, Ichi would notice that she had gone completely still, as if she had gone completely catatonic all of a sudden. As stiff as a statue, Penelope didn't seem to budge at all, almost like she wasn't even trying to break out of the serial killer's grasp. Instead... she happened to mumble out a few words, as if she were talking to herself... or maybe someone else by the sounds of it.

tumblr_inline_mwtnhp3HQV1s43kjo.jpg

"... don't... leave... me..."

@Chewy Rabbits

As nervous as Penelope had first appeared on the outside, Ichi would notice that she had gone completely still, as if she had gone completely catatonic all of a sudden. As stiff as a statue, Penelope didn't seem to budge at all, almost like she wasn't even trying to break out of the serial killer's grasp. Instead... she happened to mumble out a few words, as if she were talking to herself... or maybe someone else by the sounds of it.

tumblr_inline_mwtnhp3HQV1s43kjo.jpg

"... don't... leave... me..."
0u9KqCn.jpg

"...?"

Had she lapsed into another one of her episodes? The last time this happened, she almost got the two of them killed! But she had to have known what happened back there. The demon must have threatened her to keep her trap shut lest he go after her next. But this chick was damaged goods for sure. Who would miss her if she ended up in a ditch? Well, beyond the guy she'd just been talking to. But sometimes you had to deal with the hand life gives you is all.

Ichi wasn't particularly fond of being hounded. Thankfully, he managed to keep a low enough profile that the police hadn't been able to pin just who the Axe Murderer was. But who knows how long that'd last if he had a demon of all things on his ass? Removing the rough grip he had on Penelope's shoulder, Ichi decided to play along with her. Maybe it'd work out in his favor?

Wrapping his arms around Penelope's waist, Ichi leaned in to kiss the girl on the neck as a smile flashed across his features. "Don't worry, I'd never leave you.." If he could play along with her delusions long enough to escort her out of here and away from prying eyes, then maybe he could get some information on this demon after all...

@Gummi Bunnies

Wrapping his arms around Penelope's waist, Ichi leaned in to kiss the girl on the neck as a smile flashed across his features. "Don't worry, I'd never leave you.." If he could play along with her delusions long enough to escort her out of here and away from prying eyes, then maybe he could get some information on this demon after all...
"Don't worry, I'd never leave you.."

Those words were perceived by Penelope came out to sound like her older sister's voice. She didn't perceive the fact that Ichi had kissed her, it was like her traumatic episode was that strong of a hallucination. However, those words felt as if her vision of Rinato was lying to her all of a sudden.

tumblr_inline_mwtnh7r1nn1s43kjo.jpg

"... but you did leave me... back then..."

Her face void of emotion, Penelope could be seen like she were staring at Ichi with that blank face... or that she was looking past him. Almost unconsciously, Penelope wrapped her hands around the blue crystal that was a part of her necklace... the last physical thing that related to her sister...

"Don't listen... those words... leave..."

tumblr_inline_mwtnjiwUMk1s43kjo.jpg

"... leave? You left me... but I won't... leave you..."

At this point, Penelope was wrapped in her own little world... almost looking like she couldn't be snapped back into reality. Unaware of her true surroundings, it wouldn't be hard for Ichi to usher her out of the public eye.

@Chewy Rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.