Online Availability
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Writing Levels
  1. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Political intrigue, fantasy, futuristic, sci fi lite, superheroes, historical fiction, alternate universes. Smittings of romance, but only as side plot.
So - this is just a question I've had for a while now, and I'm curious to see what other people think about it. HOw much realism do you prefer in a roleplay? Are you the type of person who wants your fantasy to be 1000% fantasy - without the remotest sense of real-world rules or functions (physics, if you would) or are you the sort who insists on creating a sense of reality, even in the most outlandish of worlds?

For me, I'm the type of person who wants realism, no matter what the world or genre is - Science fiction, fantasy, slice of life... I feel like it's part of the challenge of writing, to have to find logic based answers for how or why things words, to back things up with 'scientific' elements, if you would... but I know a lot of people who look at things from another perspective...

How do you keep things grounded in reality? Or if you DON'T, how do you keep your roleplay from spiraling into crazy land? Are there limits? Exceptions to the rule? What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Navuso
I'm always trying to come up with plausible reasons behind my fantasy, tbh. I have one role-play wherein my character is an android, who is virtually undetectable from 'organic' humans. I've been having some fun thinking of how and why he has some of the functions he does (the ability to consume food, have a 'body temperature', etc.) Same goes for magic, though a little less so, because, well, it's magic. I'm just not satisfied with the concept of 'anything can happen because it's fantasy'; I want reasons behind things!

I'm a very realism-focused roleplayer. Even in fantasy, I'll put serious thought into magic systems and whatnot. If there's something I didn't think of, and somebody points it out, that'll immediately become my first priority. Similarly, if I join a roleplay and there appears to be an oversight or inconsistency, I'll make sure to say something. It's one of the things that I require in all my roleplays. Not entirely sure why, though.

I tend to focus most of the realism of my roleplays via the locations/time periods, and then kinda extend from there to other aspects. What could "realistically" occur in certain settings. Fantasy or not. For example I created a 1x1 based within a Demon World, but said world is entirely inspired by Japanese mythology, as well as feudal Japan. So its a Fantasy world where traditional aspects found within said actual time period are very much necessary. Not all executed to perfection, of course (we will try our best), but certain cultural mannerisms, time appropriate attire, scenery, and other crucial nuances are important. To me at least for this roleplay in particular. In addition to that I suppose there is realism in the context of holding fairly true to the types of demons depicted in Japanese mythology. Not just making creatures out of thin air, but doing a bit of research instead.

Not sure if any of that made much sense, but it was the first example that came to mind. D:

I love the fantastic and unrealistic parts of roleplays, but I like to keep a sort of layer of "realism" there in the form of internal consistency. Things can be totally nuts with anime physics and magical powers flying around, but I aim to make it feel like that's what is natural and real in that world, rather than trying to keep it realistic compared to the real world. When it comes to basic stuff like character personality I hew closer to the traditional understanding of realism: even in crazy fantasy worlds, the people think and behave rather similarly to real people.

So I'm not hugely concerned with realism, but it plays a part even in roleplays that go far afield into unrealistic things.

I usually determine how much realism there is in the roleplays I have through intuition and just gaining a feel for the sort of world I want to create. Since like @Jorick I enjoy the more fantastical parts and I usually roleplay supernatural and modern fantasy, 'realism' doesn't concern me so much as having a consistency with the world I'm building up. That means there are still 'realistic' systems as well as standards, but I still give myself more leeway when it comes to the magical and fantasy elements. In the end I just find a happy medium between the fantastic and the realistic.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Elle Joyner
Physics exist and exceptions must be elaborated.

Like, you don't need to tie summoning your familiar to quantum physics and try to BS interdimensional pocket wormholes not fucking ripping the room apart, right after you've invented a world and eco-system in which it's been possible for your range rover-sized three-headed chicken to be a logical result of natural selection. It's fine to leave that kind of detail out. It's fine to have an explanation boil down to "because magic." I just want to have "I can jump three stories high" classed as a superpower, because if physics aren't a baseline for your universe... Well, interpretation arguments aren't fun to have.

I like realism in roleplays but only to a certain extent. If I'm writing fantasy with dragons and element benders and prophecies and many deities, then I like to have the whole "Because Magic" factor. As long as it follows the rules of that world. For example, in Naruto you have to be able to use your chakra to use ninjutsu.

However adding science and realism to something like why a certain character can speak to animals makes me want to grab my hair in frustration. :'D

If I'm writing in the real world though, then yeah, I want realism. (Which is why I don't really do modern rps/stories much).

• Bucket of Rainbows
I should add though, one thing I don't find realistic, even in fantasy, is the yelling out of one's attack before letting it loose. >.> I think it's mostly an anime thing, but I find it very silly.

• Love