Real vs. Cover?

E

EquinoxSol

Original poster
Real vs. Cover (or Real vs. Acoustic)

We all have our favorite bands, and sometimes that band does a cover of another band. So, here's your challenge (not really). Post two videos here. One is the original of a song you like, the other a cover. Tell us which one you like better! Then, give us a reason! You can't just not like something for the hell of it.

Here's my first one.

Original

Cover

Winner?
Rise Against's original version.

Why?
Because the drummer in Face to Face's version sounds like he is mashing his face against his equipment instead of playing it. Second, the guitarist sounds out of tune and off pitch. Finally, the vocalist is much too smooth and flat to be able to give this song any decent credit. All of this adds up to an overall poor quality sound doing no creditable service to the real band.

Now it's your turn!!

I like to hear bands cover Iron Maiden songs. Many bands cover the metal legends, from Futures end to the all female cover band called 'The Iron Maidens'. Here is one of my favorite covers, but first the original!

And the Dimmu Borgir cover. The video is weird, only one I could find.

I usually always like original Maiden songs better than the cover.

In the Dimmu Borgir version I liked the drums, not necisarilly better than the original, but they were poundingly good. What really killed it for me, and usually always does when people try to sing like Bruce Dickenson, were the lyrics. Too scretchy, too drawnout, too much.

The original, a song by Nine Inch Nails. I like it. Sort of. It has a very dreamy quality to it.

Johnny Cash's cover.

I prefer this cover immensely. Johnny Cash gives the song an incredible depth, the level of emotion and power that NIN couldn't reach. There's a wealth of emotion and a life of hardship in the cover that NIN can't match. Also, Johnny Cash. But the song was truly richer for the impression of the regret of an older man looking back on his life, including the pain of his close friends and the love of his life dying before him.

Ronnie James Dio's original version of his classic "Holy Diver"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VB5TyfM5O3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Killswitch Engage's bastardization
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NR7dG_m3MsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Obviously Dio's, since he doesn't have to resort to generic "SO METUL" screamo shit in the refrain.

Original!~

Cover!~

o wo
Who wins?
I CANNOT CHOOSE. T ^T
You may be surprised, but I ADORE Marilyn Manson. >> weird? mebbe.
but.
I love his style. And he ROCKS Danny Elfman's original of This Is Halloween. quite literally.

They both have their own unique elements, as you can hear, so..
I cannot choose a winner, for I can find the good and bad, mostly good, in both. ^^
honestly,
I never think an original or a cover is better than the other.
They're both just different adaptations, and takes on lyrics, a song, melodies, and feelings.
So....
. w.
I cannot judge one higher than another.

Behind Blue Eyes - The Who

Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Biskit

Tough. :[ I mean they didn't stray too far away from the original. Limp made it feel sadder.

But then again...it is the fucking WHO.

Totally gonna get in on dis shite.

Lovesong by the Cure - Original

Lovesong by 311 - Cover

Totally going with the Cure on this. Seriously, no one can rake the lyrics like Robert Smith. It's like he's just hungry for the next line.

Do re-recordings by the same band count? ._.

Original version of Blind Guardian - Valhalla:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PISG9---t9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New version for their best-of album, Memories of a Time to Come:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e5UXfU7PSdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like the new version way better than the old. I wish they remade more of their stuff, 'cause it sounds awesome redone in their current style.

Winner?
Cover

Why?
As much as I love the original, the more intimate sounds of music tend to beat out the more club/dancy ones. Covers like this tend to be more honest and have less.....production involved. By that I mean, there isn't money backing it or things like that. It is just a guy and a guitar.