Real Loyalty

Ark nodded and stepped inside, then his HUD flickered to life weakly. "Avoid security drones and cam turrets, disable if possible. Find server terminal and rip encrypted data...Mission Time 20 minutes, holodata equipment, snow bombs, jammer picks. 3....2.....1" beeeep, and he started, coming up on a corridor with a drone and a turret plus a terminal. He hugged the wall and peeked out, and pulled out a strange looking pistol, launching a pick into the cam turrets feed, taking control of the turret and using it to fire a disruptive volley at the drone disabling it before the pick charged and fried the turret.

Second he hacked the terminal using his PT unit, taking only a second to scan the disk before he dismissed the terminal. He kept moving, coming up on a door, -switch visor mode, thermal- he whispered, a static filled visor changing to thermal imaging. It was shaky, going in and out of focus as he thumbed through the room behind the door in front of him. 3 drones and a terminal, okay, he thought, noticing a vent leading into the other room. He shimmied his way into the vents and crawled till he was over head, and after slightly sliding a cover open, he dropped a snow bomb, a magnetic field taking out the drones cameras as he dropped down and with efficiency, smashed off the head of one with a punch, wheeled over and took out another's head with a kick before finally putting a plasma coated tungsten/cadmium slug through the head of another, repeating his hack on this terminal, dismissing it as well.

"15 minutes remaining...." his HUD flashed as he came to a room with only terminals, but only three active ones. This room had no drones it was off. He searched all three terminals but instead of completing the mission, the terminals were a trap. The floor opened up giving rise to large security mech that started firing. Ark ducked underneath its legs, and fired up between the legs unloading a full thermal clip of rounds into it, dropping the big bot as he charged down into the ventilation shafts again, only two terminals left, in the same room with camera turrets guarding them, he again retrieved his pick launcher and fired two picks at two opposing turrets causing them to be under his control as he used them to take out the other two turrets and then each other just as the picks fried out. He dropped into the room, and his HUD flashed again, "6 minutes remaining, one of these terminals contains the encrypted shut down code that will end your mission, the other, will start a 15 second destruction sequence. Choose wisely....."

His eyes unseen behind the suit's cracked faceplate, darted between the two, -shit- he muttered, -bring up coin toss heads terminal 007 tails terminal 008.- his HUD showed him an animated coin toss, landing on tails, -007 it is- he muttered, changing his own rules to maybe trick luck. He accessed the timbal using the hacking program in his PT unit, but the room turned red, "15....14.....13.....12......" "Dura sokalemaaaaa!" he shouted inside his helmet, and positioned himself in between the terminals, his PT unit hacking the other terminal while his free hand frantically typed and clicked and tapped at the trap one, forging back doors and bypass codes like a psychotic terrorist hacker.

"8....7....6....." -c'mon c'mon- he muttered sweating as he bypassed the destruct sequence, just as the counter hit 3, then the shutdown code began to decrypt and flash on his HUD, delta, 6, 8, beta, 3, 1, 9, alpha. His helmet slid off and he announced loudly, " implement code D-6-8-B-3-1-9-A"

"Code accepted, congratulations" Ark finished, but his armor though he'd only received one shot, broke down and slumped off him. He'd finished with 4 minutes to spare. "How was that?"

Fate clapped as Ark finished the simulation. "That was perfect. I haven't seen anyone complete that particular simulation in years and even then it wasn't performed as efficiently as you just did it." She stated with a small smile on her face. She then gave a chuckle as she saw the remains of what had been his combat armor. "Why don't you go down to the armory to get a new set of armor? I'd say that you need it if you will be working in this unit. We wouldn't want to lose someone as skilled as you due to equipment failure. When you ar……." A beeping sound interrupted whatever she was going to say next. Quickly turning her attention to the terminal next to her, she noted an incoming message which she promptly began to read. Enemy agents took over the Red Queen. Requesting HROU assistance in regaining control of the ship. Send forces immediately. End message. "Damn it." Fate muttered under her breath. She turned to Ark. "Pardon me, but I have important matters to attend to." Turning around, she quickly made her way out of the room.

He listened, and smiled as she complimented his skills, then the alarm sounded. Field test, he thought this would count for. He didn't follow her, he took his gun and took off bolting to the armory. As he arrived, he quickly fitted himself into a new combat suit, a light ablative coating armor with reflex boost and a weak kinetic buffer field. He then grabbed a small carbine esque plasma rifle and a few cells and a couple of thermal clips for his pistol. After that he took off again, quickly making his way passed frantic soldiers running to get geared up at the sorry he'd just left.

He stood now in the ship bay awaiting the lieutenant, the other soldiers and his orders, his rifle ready, his pistol loaded and waiting for the ammo pinch during battle. His skills freshly trained up by the induction, and his tools warmed up for the real deal though he lacked the equipment he had in the simulation. Other soldiers now started to appear, one particularly burly Genesian man looking at Ark with a look of content, added to by the words, "what're you doing here meat? Newbies don't get action their first day!"

Ark smirked, "I wasn't aware that they allowed temperamental primates into service at all, much less high risk operations." Vakirian sarcasm, not his best sling, but it had the same effect, the burly soldier snarling, his gruff voice erupting, "That some kinda smart ass joke?" Ark chuckled, "yes actually, but it must've went over your head, I will have to remember to speak slower for you." The Genesian was not happy with the comment, standing over Ark at about 7 feet, nearly two taller than the young Vakirian, but Ark kept his eyes up at the burly soldier, identified now as Corporal Dirk, it appeared Dirk was going to assault Ark who as a Tech Sergeant before he was transferred held rank over the corporal, though the stripes were not yet on his armor. "You may want to step back, corporal, assaulting a higher rank is a serious offense, it doesn't matter what unit."

Fate made her way through the now busy hallways of the complex as fast as she could. Within minutes she had reached her room where she proceeded to change into her mission gear. She emerged moments later wearing pitch black combat armor with the HROU's coat of arms, along with her rank, on each shoulder, two katanas strapped to her back, and twin pistols on her hips.

Arriving at the docking bay, she saw Corporal Dirk standing imposingly near Ark. A scowl appeared on her face as she got close enough to hear their conversation. Corporal Dirk had been one of the few members of her unit that did not approve of the fact that she was in charge solely based on the fact that she was a woman. He had even gone so far as to completely disregard her orders and tell the other members of the unit that they should follow his orders instead of hers. The most memorable of those incidents was when she and the Corporal, along with four others, were sent on a mission together. Not wanting to listen to her, he went against her plan by implementing his own and all but one and herself followed his lead. They died horribly while the Corporal got out without a scratch and when they returned to base he blamed what had happened on her. Thankfully no one else believed him.

"I agree with him Corporal. Attacking a senior officer would be a very bad idea. If I were you I would back away before you force my hand." She all but growled while glaring at the object of her anger. "You do not want a repeat of last time. Understood?" His eyes narrowed slightly, but backed away from Ark. "Yes Ma'am." He replied bitterly. "Good. Now go make sure everything is set before we depart." She heard him growl under his breath as he more or less stomped away. Fate turned toward Ark. "I apologize for his behavior. He does not think before he acts."

He gave a snarky grin to the corporal as he was sent on his way. "Common of people who have more skull than grey matter. Though I suppose I should apologize for my comment about him being a disgruntled gorilla...." He sighed with a bit of chuckle laced in. "It appears he doesn't trust, 'fresh meat' on real missions. In any case, Tech Sergeant Ark reporting for duty ma'am!" he said giving a solid salute. The others soldiers save for the Corporal also stood at attention.

Fate smiled at his answer. "Yes, I do agree that something seems to be missing inside of that head of his. Also, don't worry about apologizing. It was he who started to confrontation, so it is he who should be the one to apologize." The young Lieutenant said. She then watched as nearly all of the members of the unit saluted her, except for the continuous thorn in her side known more commonly as Dirk. She shook her head in order to get back on track. "At ease." Fate ordered before going onto to explain the situation. "At 0900, the Red Queen was attacked and captured by a group of pirates. We have been order to correct the situation. Our mission is to infiltrate and recapture the ship without damaging it extensively." She paused for a moment before continuing. "Our newest Tech Analyst will be joining this mission as well. He is a vital part to the success of this mission. If I find out that any of you prevent him from doing his job you will be cleaning toilets for the next two weeks, is that understood?" Everyone but Dirk and Ark saluted and said, "Yes Ma'am." She nodded in response. "Good. Now let's move out." With that said she boarded the waiting ship.

Boarding the ship, Ark sat across from the lieutenant, joined by the other deployed soldiers. "Lieutenant! Could I see the schematics for the Red Queen?!" he called out, "I may be able to remotely shut down auto defenses and basic ship functions! Life support, Propulsion, Bridge functions, it could confuse them, make them easier to deal with upon infiltration!" he finished as he locked his rifle into position on a weapon store above his head.

Dirk decided to chime in, "Leave it to the nerd to try to make things easier on himself." a couple of the other soldiers laughed with him, Ark only shook his head, the ogre couldn't even make a joke. "Take off in 5.....4.......3......"

Fate waited until the ship had reached orbit and stabilized before responding to Ark question. "I will send the schematics to your HUD. Anything that you are able gain control of remotely will only help us in the long run, however, before to do anything, report back to me first. I don't want anyone doing something I'm not aware of. That goes for all of you." She said, her voice rising loud enough for the others to hear. She than leaned back in her seat, and closed her eyes as she began to form a few battle plans while waiting for the ship to reach its destination.

She was pulled from her thoughts a few hours later as her HUD made a soft beeping sound indicating that they were close. Sitting up straight, she looked around at the others. "Arrival time is ten minutes. I want every one of you prepped and ready to go. Understood?" The others nodded before getting up from their seats and retrieving their equipment. Fate turned her attention toward Ark. "Have you found anything yet?"

Ark went over every inch of the schematics, detailing every weakness in the primary systems. "Ma'am I can disable proximity scanning, on board weaponry and life support! I have the connections set and at the word I'm primed to go through with the shutdown! Awaiting further orders!" he called out, retrieving his plasma carbine and locking it, ready to fire at his whim. "Also ma'am I can't disable engine function the Red Queen is an Exia class Mobile base, shutting down engine functions would overload the fission reactors causing a critical meltdown and loss of the Red Queen, any damage to the engines could result in minor to catastrophic complications. If combat takes place in the engineering decks, I recommend hand to hand or blade combat only." He stood his PT unit visible and ready to fire the shutdown codes he'd prepared.

Fate pondered his response for a moment before responding. "Go ahead. That should make the fight much easier and as a result we won't lose as many men. I'll also tell the others to follow your advice about the engine room." She then stood up and stretched before retrieving her weapons as well. She made sure to check each one before strapping them into their proper places. Turning toward the rest of the unit she said, "Alright, Team 1 is in charge securing the bridge. Team 2, you'll be finding and rescuing any survivors. Team 3, you are to secure the engine room. Team 4, guard the ship." She then toward Ark. "You'll be with me on Team 1." Fate stated before activating her helm, the screen flickering to life as it locked into place. "You ready for your first mission as a member of the HROU?"

At her word, he sent the codes through his PT unit, and visibly the Red Queen was in disarray as the lights where the bridge should be went dark. "3...2.....1, cleared for infiltration, ma'am!" at that his new helmet appeared morphing and solidifying to his head as the new HUD flickered to life. Hearing his orders the helmet over his head nodded, and he brought up his terminal inside the HUD plotting an optimal entry point for each team, sending the data to each team leader. "Optimal entry points plotted," he started right before Fate asked if Ark was ready to which he said, "Let's ruin their day!" and brought up his rifle, ready for action.

Fate a small chuckle despite the situation they were about to enter. "Yes, lets." She said as the ship reached the Red Queen's docking bay. Once the ship had successfully docked she threw the hatch open and jumped out, the others not far behind. She gave a small sigh of relief as she noted that there were no pirates in the docking bay, meaning that they still had the object of surprise. "Alright. You all know what to do. Now get to it." She ordered. The teams then dispersed, making their way to the required locations. Quickly scanning the area for any pirates that may have stumbled upon them, she noted that there were none and turned her attention to Ark. "Considering you analyzed those schematics more than I, or anyone else on this team for that matter, what would you say is the quickest route to the Bridge?"

Ark hopped onto the docking platform from the ship watching all the soldiers disperse to their operations. The faceplate of his helmet turned to Fate, his voice, digitally muffled and a bit distorted said, "Calculating quickest route and setting waypoint." as he said that a 3 dimensional layout appeared on his HUD mapping a course through a maintenance shaft dropping them on top of the mess hall continuing through a crew quarters sector and down on top of the bridge through another maintenance shaft. "Wiring the route to your HUD now, estimated time 4 minutes 39 seconds, provided we don't run into anyone displeased by our lack of invitation." the same layout would then appear to her and the rest of the squad.

A curious pirate had come up on them, on the sixes of everyone but Ark who had him on his twelve, a single shot was fired, calculated and careful as it tore its way between the lieutenant and a private called Sen, immediately the plasma burned a hole through the pirate's chest, and he dropped to the floor dead before the thud. "Vakirian pirates it seems, or at least he was, we may be in for some trouble lieutenant!"

"Shit!" Fate muttered under her breath. "There goes the element of surprise. Looks like we will be doing this the hard way." She then drew both of her katanas, preparing for the fight she knew would be coming. Seconds later a large group of pirates burst into the room. "Yep. The hard way it is." Her team reacted immediately and headed for cover as the pirates began firing. Peering out from behind her cover, she noted the position of the pirates along with formulating a plan. She then jumped up from her spot and ran towards the pirates, dodging bullets and plasma beams as she went. When she got close enough, the young Lieutenant began cutting them down one by one. The rest of her team quickly followed her lead as she distracted the pirates enough so that they could also take the offensive.

"Damnit!" He exclaimed, taking up his rifle, and ducking down a different catwalk, taking a flanking position while marked his targets on the HUD. "Have some of this..." he muttered, letting loose from his PT unit a strange beam of what looked to be enlarged pixels that smacked the armored pirates, their armor locking and shocking the occupants giving the lieutenant time to cut em up. He then brought his rifle up to his helmet, looking down the sights as he fired on the pirates, plasma beams ripping at them with deadly accuracy. A shot however came from a rafter up above knocking Ark to the ground as it grazed his side. "Bats in the Rafters! UP TOP UP TOP!" he called out his mic wiring his words to the helmets of the others. With that he shot down the sniper on the rafters watching the body crash to the ground, a sickening mixture of the crunching of bones and blood spatter being over taken by the firefight.

"LIEUTENANT! NEW ROUTE! SCANNING FOR THERMAL MOTION! NEW ROUTE WIRING NOW!" Ark called to her wiring a newly mapped route through the service deck, where laundry and cleaning supplies are done and stored respectively. The new route would take them beneath the security deck and CIC deck, then whip the team up into the Map room then down into Bridge.

"Got it!" Fate shouted back through the mic while continuing to dodge the projectiles flying through the air. Not even a second later, the newly updated map appeared before her. Scanning it quickly, she plotted out what to do next. "Alright. Corporals Kiel, Mondial, and Bannings you'll be coming along with Tech Sergeant Ark and I. The rest of you stay here and help Team 4 with guarding the ship. Now let's move people." With that said she took off running down the hallway towards the service deck, taking down pirates as she went. After a few moments, she had successfully made her way through the firefight and onto the service deck. Looking around to see if any pirates had followed her or the rest of her now smaller team, she noted that there was none, but remained vigilant none the less. Turning to Ark she asked, "You alright?"

Reaching a clearing in the firefight, He turned to the Lieutenant, who'd asked about his well being, to which he looked down at the spot where the slug knocked him down, a gouge in the ablative coating and some metal damage in the plating, but no injury. "Green across the board, Ma'am just some armor damage, I'll patch it after we take the bridge which should be up that ladder and through the map room, scans show no movement, we should be clear, most of the action seems located in and around the docking bay. Weapons hot once we reach the entry hatch to the bridge though, scans show five blips, no details on armaments or otherwise. Awaiting your orders Lieutenant."

Fate noded as she listened to what Ark was saying. "Understood. Prepare to engage." She said before checking her weapons. After a few seconds, she put each of them back into their proper place. Turning toward the rest of team she said, "Lets move out." The young Lieutenant then went over to the ladder and climbed up slowly, as to not alert anyone of their presence in case someone had wondered into the map room after Ark had performed the scan. While she wasn't particularly worried about fighting anyone, she would rather not waste any more ammo or energy than necessary. Thankfully the map room was still empty as she exited the ladder. Once the rest of the team had made their way up the ladder she made her way over to the hatch that led to the bridge. Opening it slightly, she noted that Ark had been correct. Four pirates stood on the bridge, along with a man, who she assumed was the Captain of the Red Queen, who was tied up. "Four hostiles and a hostage." She stated over her mic. Taking a deep breath, she opened the hatch wider and slowly made her way onto the bridge. If the pirates were to become awarded of their presence than they would be in deep trouble since the hatch was only large enough for one person to go through at a time and if the pirates started.shooting it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. The rest of her team had barely made it into the room when all help broke loose. A large explosion shook the entire ship, startling the pirates and causing them to look around frantically. It took them less than three seconds to find her and her team. "Intruders!" One of them yelled before taking out their gun, the others not far behind, and started shooting at them. Fate quickly dove for cover and removed her own guns from their positions on her waist. Taking advantage when the pirates had to reload she jumped up from behind her cover. Within seconds two of the pirates had hit the floor dead and the other two had finished reloading their guns and were shooting at her once again, forcing her to find cover for a second time.

Ark stayed at the bottom for a moment with the rest of the team, the Lieutenant having gone up first, he wired to her a message that would flash on her HUD that read "Ark: Activating Optical Stealth" This was supplemented by the Hatch swinging open slightly unnoticed by the fighting in the bridge, the team stayed below, and amidst the gunfire an aggravating hum erupted from seemingly nowhere, just as a Pirate moved involuntarily and blood spilled from their chest and mouth hitting the ground with a sickening splash, and the pirate slumped dead while the other pirate on the Bridge erupted blood from a slash on their neck that seemed to come from nowhere.

Ark then materialized, his PT unit having a blade extended. The Bridge was clear, but Ark was engaged, standing compeltely still as he scanned where the explosion has come from. The ship they rode in on had blown, their only option was to now pilot the Red Queen back home. "Our ride just went the way of errr....the Dinosaurs?" He said, cutting the Captain free. "Lieutenant, there's alot of fighting in the Engineering deck. Dirk seems to be ignoring the no gunfire order, his tag is in the engineering and all I'm getting on his mic is gunfire."

"Shit!" Fate exclaimed as she heard what Ark had just told her. "That stupid son of a….." She took a deep breath to regain her composure. Now was not the time to let her emotions to get the better of her. If she did she would surely let her anger cloud her judgment and would end up doing something stupid. "Corporals Mondial and Bannings, you are to say here. Guard the Captain along with the bridge. Corporal Kiel, Sergeant Ark, and I are going to head down to Engineering and help the others. If anything happens, contact me." She ordered as the rest her team made their way onto the bridge. She then re-holstered her weapons and turned to Ark. "Let's go stop that moron from doing something that will get the rest of us killed." The young Lieutenant, after scanning the blueprints, began running toward Engineering, following the directions her HUD was giving her. While she ran, she ignored the feeling in the pit of her stomach. This would not be a repeat of what happened last time; she refused to let that happen again. No more of her team would die because of Dirk and his blatant sexism and superiority complex. They were the closest thing she had to family, despite that they keep as far away from her as possible from her, and she would do everything in her power to protect them. She was knocked out of her thoughts a pirates appeared in the hallway they were going down. Not skipping a beat, she drew her swords and only ran faster toward them, cutting down anyone in her way.