Reading Roleplays

Do you read roleplays that you aren't part of?

• Yes

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Nemopedia

Chaotic Lawful
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Do you read roleplays that you aren't part of? What usually motivates you to read them? Any roleplays you would recommend to stalk? 👀

I always assumed that people usually don't read roleplays they aren't part of until a partner mentioned being approached about a roleplay we have, and then more piped up to mention that they actually found new roleplay partners because their partners read their roleplays and liked what they saw. I certainly never got any messages from other people telling me they are following my roleplays. How about you?

Tell me, tell me!

• Love
Reactions: iridescent
I ENJOY READING THE RPS ON IWAKU, which is why I hate it that so many people play in private messages. >:[ It is quite fun for me to spend an evening just reading people's stuff. We have a bunch of great writers on the site and there's all kinds of neat lil stories.

I’m being exposed

• Haha
Reactions: Nemopedia
I don't because i'd rather re-read my own, im a narcissist like that

I've had people approach me saying they'd read my roleplays and wanted to start one with me! Or people wanting to let me know they liked the plot twist in my last post or something like that. It always makes my day, haha. I read a few on my own, but I don't like, actively follow any. Just pop in every once in a while to see what's been going on 👀

• Bucket of Rainbows
I'm still pretty new here, but if so. If it catches my eye in the first few paragraphs I consider following up. I'm so busy trying to develop my own it is a bit of a distraction to read others when my own rps need attention. But as I learn and grow, get to know others play styles, I prolly would. I am a bit nervous when it comes to reading other ppl work just out of habit of rps getting dropped or something too. I've had a few I got invested in but then were dropped.

Historically, I’ve not been much a reader of roleplays I wasn’t participating in. There have always been some exceptions, primarily in the form of friends’ RPs and/or RPs where I especially enjoy at least one of the participants writing styles. Such as several of the RPs @neptune has done. Like Pav, I'll also just occasionally click on one and start reading. It's been a long time since I was following one with dedication. But I've recently started reading a few more. We'll find out how that goes.

I am mostly motivated to read RPs whenever someone either talks about their RP and I think it sounds neat, or again, when I am especially fond of the writer(s)/their styles. I've only messaged friends/active partners about their RPs I was reading before. But I also expressed interest in reading a PM RP and as a result the participants moved it to threads so that was neat. 8D

I really enjoy other people's enthusiasms and most people are very enthusiastic about their own RPs, so it's fun to talk to them about it. I think I've only once ever had someone message me about reading an RP I was doing but it was odd because... It was a group, it seemed like they wanted in, and I was not the GM? I'd be thrilled to find out someone was reading and enjoying my RPs, though. Maybe I'll get a stalker of my own when I finally get some of these games up. That would be neat! 🥰

Actually, I have been told by someone I reached out to as a prospective partner that they read my long-time rp. At least, I'm assuming it was that one, since it's the only forum rp I've even had going for forever now. On the one hand, it's flattering; but on the other, it makes me feel self-conscious to think that strangers are reading my work. lol Mostly I just read people's posts to get a taste of their writing style and determine if we'd be a good partner match.

I myself am not really a reader of roleplays; however, I can defo give criteria that would lead me to read. If I think the title sounds interesting, I will read a bit of the text within to see what it's about. If I like what I see, I'll read more. Pretty simple. I suppose the reason I don't read more is that I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or stalked by my reading their stuff. haha

• Bucket of Rainbows
I'm one of the killjoys who writes in PMs specifically so nobody can stalk my RPs 😇

I've frequently gotten messages from lurkers in the past, and while these were always positive interactions, I start overthinking my writing/self-censoring the moment I'm aware of an audience. Which kinda defeats my strategy of using RP to get around perfectionism.

I'm one of the killjoys who writes in PMs specifically so nobody can stalk my RPs 😇

I've frequently gotten messages from lurkers in the past, and while these were always positive interactions, I start overthinking my writing/self-censoring the moment I'm aware of an audience. Which kinda defeats my strategy of using RP to get around perfectionism.
Hey, whatever makes you comfortable! That is the exact reason I exclusively played in private conversations for several years, so I understand. My perfectionism and anxiety couldn't handle public threads and it was a lot easier to post when it was for an audience of one (since I was only doing 1x1s during that period, too).

I am a bit nervous when it comes to reading other ppl work just out of habit of rps getting dropped or something too. I've had a few I got invested in but then were dropped.

This! I used to read roleplays when I was a bit younger and more naive player and then a story would get dropped and I'd be left wondering how it continued. There are roleplays I was following that I still think about. ;;;;

I am mostly motivated to read RPs whenever someone either talks about their RP and I think it sounds neat, or again, when I am especially fond of the writer(s)/their styles.

Now that I'm back active again and talking to people about roleplays I get this a lot more as well. Cute icons, interesting concepts!!! I will grasp. Though I haven't started to actively read yet. Soon. ™️

Naww, that's also valid! Sharing your writing is like sharing part of yourself, so that can definitely be nerve-wracking! I have a friend that I RP with over Discord that I hope to encourage enough to lure onto Iwaku. Gotta build up her confidence first. I hope you will one day feel confident and comfortable enough to do so again! I will support and encourage you!!!

• Thank You
Reactions: Slaynoir
I'm more inclined to read group RPs. Specifically the ones that catch my eye but I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with, lol. If I read a 1x1, it's mostly to get a feel for a potential partner's writing style, but sometimes I get invested and want to see what happens.

A few years ago, @King and I had like seven RPs going at once and we were kind of shocked to see how high the view counts on some of the threads were. Now that I know @Dusk was out here mirin, I'm blushing uwu

• Bucket of Rainbows
I am a little bit of both. It depends on what the title is of the roleplay -maybe judging a book by its cover lol- and I might browse around. But I don't really read as much as I used too.

Funnily enough, I've had more people NOW come out of the woodworks having read some of my stuff on Iwaku with a particular story. I have to slightly assume its because it's with the @Diana - Owl mama herself, so people like to come and gawp at what's happening, cause it's never really happened before XD

• Bucket of Rainbows
Man! Why aren't people telling me they're reading the threads! O:< TALK TO ME I PROMISE I'M NOT SCARY Ò◇Ó I WILL TELL YOU SECRETS AND TEASERS ABOUT THE PLOT

• Haha
I'm more inclined to read group RPs. Specifically the ones that catch my eye but I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with, lol. If I read a 1x1, it's mostly to get a feel for a potential partner's writing style, but sometimes I get invested and want to see what happens.

A few years ago, @King and I had like seven RPs going at once and we were kind of shocked to see how high the view counts on some of the threads were. Now that I know @Dusk was out here mirin, I'm blushing uwu
Not me looking at the view count of every one of my threads right now. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: neptune and Diana
OKAY NOW THAT ROLEPLAY LIVE READS ARE OVER THIS MONTH I FEEL THAT IT IS A GOOD TIME TO OPEN THIS DISCUSSION AGAIN.

For those that attended the roleplay live reads; what did you think of the event? Did it encourage you to pick up new roleplays to stalk and to read if you were already, or if you didn't before; did it give you the motivation to start now? Anything in particular that stood out to you?

(Also for those who missed out the live reads this month: DON'T FRET I HEARD THAT THERE ARE PLANS ON MAKING THIS A REGULAR THING, JUST NOT AS OFTEN! Keep an eye open for any future events that may pop up.)

It is concerning how many people have voted yes. I don't typically read stuff I'm not a part of, and I often think others are the same. Gonna have to try not to think about that going forward, lol.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Diana and Nemopedia
I like reading roleplays. While I have always prided myself in being a good writer (while this maybe a little narcissistic, hopefully this actually manifests), there are many others better than me. And honestly, my writing has deteriorated a lot due to rust, and attempts at writing style change. Until now, I am stuck between the way I used to write and the new style, a style I do not even know yet.

Back to my point, I read roleplays from players who write well, hopefully to learn and improve from it. I am a chronic lurker, and I don't really leave reactions, but I appreciate. I think most writers here have matured and have their own writing style, so they are good models to learn from.

As for the people I stalk, I usually stalk your roleplays, in all honesty. There is also Peregrine, whom I have had a wonderful chance of roleplaying with. Ardent/Adrian is also another writer I admire. By default, I also read the writing of your roleplay groups. Pretty sure I stalk your roleplays the most though.

• Love
I like reading roleplays. While I have always prided myself in being a good writer (while this maybe a little narcissistic, hopefully this actually manifests), there are many others better than me. And honestly, my writing has deteriorated a lot due to rust, and attempts at writing style change. Until now, I am stuck between the way I used to write and the new style, a style I do not even know yet.

Back to my point, I read roleplays from players who write well, hopefully to learn and improve from it. I am a chronic lurker, and I don't really leave reactions, but I appreciate. I think most writers here have matured and have their own writing style, so they are good models to learn from.

As for the people I stalk, I usually stalk your roleplays, in all honesty. There is also Peregrine, whom I have had a wonderful chance of roleplaying with. Ardent/Adrian is also another writer I admire. By default, I also read the writing of your roleplay groups. Pretty sure I stalk your roleplays the most though.
idk if your 'you' is referring to someone specific (me?) or if it is a general 'you' but consider me spooked even if I'm the one with the ghost avatar. LOL

idk if your 'you' is referring to someone specific (me?) or if it is a general 'you' but consider me spooked even if I'm the one with the ghost avatar. LOL
Haha, I specifically meant to refer to you.

• Love