4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Futanari
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Scifi, anime, mecha, magical girl, superhero, cyberpunk, yuri

• Humanity has entered a new era of prosperity. Magical and technological advances have led to many wonders that would have been thought impossible. Space travel is at an all-time high, and colonies have been founded on or around many worlds in the solar system. Mankind had truly begun to expand, and seek its destiny among the stars.

nnjhxbjl.jpg

The first encounter with alien life was disastrous, to say the least. Monstrous creatures appeared, asking no quarter and offering none. They arrived with no warning, appearing from hyperspace to descend upon and decimate an entire exploration fleet. Only a few rare survivors managed to escape the carnage and madness of that day. Those survivors brought back the first valuable samples of monstrous flesh, and a name: the Bydo.

The first contact wars are over. Humanity earned peace through bloodshed, and the advantage granted by their magic-wielding troops. For whatever reason, magical attacks were not something the Bydo could easily defend against, and so they were pushed back. They're still out there, but the only encounters with Bydo have been pockets of resistance in areas they have previously claimed, and no major assaults have surfaced.

tOlMI3sl.jpg

What will you do when one man's ambition resurrects the nightmare?

• Humanity is doing quite well for itself. Earth has been left behind long ago, although the Home system is still quite well-developed. The Earth itself is still populous, and colonies have been established on or in orbit around just about every major planet out to Saturn. People from anywhere in the Sol system are generally viewed as well-off, and many are involved in administration at either a large corporation or the government. The Earth is no longer the seat of government for the Human hegemony.

The Unied Space Corps, often known simply as the USC, are the official military for all of humanity. The united government they answer to is a loose body similar to the UN or EU at best. Smaller regions in space have their own governments and miltaries they maintain separately. The USC is primarily a large space navy, and has remained large after the recent necessities of war with the Bydo. Some have expressed growing concerns over its refusal to disarm down to earlier standing levels. Mages serve in the USC, usually as elite units acting on their own. After their instrumental role in the defeat of the Bydo, combat mages have become their own special branch, although they serve closely with the other branches.

The general level of technology for most people could be considered one typical in Star Trek or a comparable setting. Quality of life is very good, computers and other technology are very good, and in many places, magic and technology are seamlessly integrated. The culture and preferences of individual worlds can vary wildly, with some enforcing strict limitations on building or technology.

...Why yes, in general it IS a generic SF setting, thanks for asking.

• Mages can separate themselves primarily along two broad categories. Some specialize in ranged combat, and others on melee combat. Mages who focus on their melee skills are sometimes referred to as Knights, particularly if one is from the region historically occupied by the Kingdom of Belka. Most mages are trained in one or another of the major schools, and are usually identified by their school affiliation.

Although seen mostly as traditional, a Mage Council exists as a sort of governing and advisory body which exists separate from the primary government. It has risen to greater political power after the recent war, though the Council prefers to avoid clashing with the official government.

Most combat mages know a flight spell of some sort, although only some truly excel at aerial combat. all mages can manifest a special defensive garment or armor, colloquially referred to as a "barrier jacket." This magically-enhanced and manifested garment protects the wearer, and its protection goes beyond the obvious, as barrier jackets extend an invisible field of force across the wearer's skin. It is this simple magic technique which renders mages quite safe from threats of inadvertent exposure to Bydo tissue, although decontamination measures are still highly encouraged.

Many mages prefer to channel their powers with the aid of a special magical device. These devices can take any form, from swords and spears, to staves, to even guns. Some devices are passed through families as heirlooms. Most devices are equipped with some way of aiding their wielder in channeling magic, and many are artificially intelligent, in the modern era. In many ways, the familiars of old have been supplanted by the AI installed on a device.

On a pure gameplay note, you are assumed to have that minimum protective barrier regardless of your powers. Same goes for life support in space, should the situation call for it.

• The Bydo are an alien enemy who seemed hell-bent on destroying humanity. A force of strange monsters who are often poorly understood, they travel freely in space, often in gigantic living ships capable of hyperspace through their own, organic means. Their general nature appears to be biomechanical, and they often meld aspects of machinery and living things within their appearances.

Studies so far indicate that the Bydo may exist in part in another dimension, or be native to one. This may be one explanation for their incredible vitality. Most Guardian weapons are designed specifically with affecting the Bydo in mind, however, and can defeat them regardless of whatever esoteric defenses they may possess. Bydo are known to be able to possess and control human technology, and even human beings themselves, driving them mad or turning them against their comrades, and into...something else entirely.

They're still out there, lurking past the borders of human space. Like barbarian hordes of old, they occasionally pressure civilization, but there has yet to be a second all-out push into war. For most people, it's welcome enough to know that though they be surrounded by monsters, those monsters shy away from the light of civilization and its protectors.

• I'm going to be running this game in roll20, chances are. Mostly because it's a convenient way to have a chat and roll dice; maps may be handy, but I'm not sure we'll need them, either. I'll be running it using the Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition rules. The SRD for the system is available online here. I've put more general information on the system in its own tab, but it boils down to being a convenient way to run any sort of anime-style game.

Other than that, there's not too much to say rule-wise. Don't be a jerk or do anything inappropriate.

Your characters will be mages working as part of the United Space Corps military. Creating your character will probably be a little more involved than usual, as you will need to make them a M&M character sheet. But otherwise, the normal bits will apply, and I will happily help create the M&M sheet based on descriptions of their abilities. A template for the rest of the character stuff is available below.

I am going to require that all characters have either flight or a similar ability to better move around, with flight itself being recommended (one rank of it is quite inexpensive anyway). Beyond that, I'd suggest a way to hurt enemies and to be suitably protected from harm. Otherwise, it's completely up to you for how you spend your points.

Name: We've got to call them something.
    Appearance: Artwork is highly preferred, and given my influences, anime-styled artwork is particularly recommended. You can alternatively put your character art at the very top of things. If there's anything not clear in the art, please do describe anything relevant but not visible.

Personality: This is really useful for you, the player, so you probably don't need to include it, or don't need more than a basic "cliff's notes" sort of version. It's more to think about how your character is likely to act.

History: History can also be quite brief. If you have anything interesting, I'll probably try to expand on it and use it in-game at some point. I'd recommend a few major events in the character's life, particularly to explain why they are where they are. A list of these major events is fine.

Abilities: Most of this will also be part of the M&M sheet, but here's where you can describe your magical attacks and powers with actual text. What do they do? How do they work? And hey, if you're having trouble with the statting of your character part, these written descriptions of what you want them to be able to do will be quite useful.

M&M Sheet: it is inevitable. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if there's a nice way to format it in the forum editor beyond a lot of fiddling with tables, so linking it some other convenient way is fine. I can try to make a template, if you would like to get some formatting for just slapping it right into a post, though.

• My major inspirations for this are Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (and similar magical girl shows), Knight Run, and I'm blatantly taking ideas for the enemies from all manner of shmups.

The overall themes for the game are closer to Nanoha. The tone of the game is more bright, people aren't likely to die, enemies can become allies with enough work, and so-on. This isn't to say it will always be sunshine, rainbows, and friendship lasers. Things can get dark at times.

The main focus of the game will be various missions that are likely to be combat-leaning, as the PCs are assumed to be members of the military. There will be a bit of a focus on combat, although I intend to do "downtime" sessions between missions, for characters to have an opportunity to interact, or for you to pursue your own things. It's often when the most fun happens.

There will also be at least some political intrigue. Even in Nanoha proper, there are factions who don't always agree. Powerful mages are celebrities and potential political figures in their own right, and may also be feared and distrusted by their own organization.

If you might be interested in a darker overall tone, I'm happy to oblige you guys. The most obvious is that death would be a little closer on everyone's heels. People die, magic may not be always non-lethal, and so-on. There may also be worse or stranger political issues, but I'm not really sure how well I can run any such intrigue conflicts.

Other darker themes may include sanity loss, or corruption.

• The game system I'll be using, Mutants and Masterminds, is a d20-based system with some roots in the days of D&D 3.x's open game license. The third edition moves away from said roots a bit more to be its own game, and also modifies things in places to be much more sensible and harder to break.

Some may wonder why I'm using a game system at all. In my opinion, I think rules set you free. There won't be any arguments about a character's abilities being overpowered. Because no matter how you describe them, the underlying game mechanics will have everyone roughly balanced with one-another. This means it's an opportunity to, if you want to, go nuts.

The basic mechanic is, you roll a d20, add your bonuses and other modifiers to the roll, and you want to have a high number to beat a static difficulty or the other guy's roll. M&M doesn't use HP, but instead uses a "Toughness" save for avoiding damage. I find it does a very good job of emulating anime-style fights just as well as it does the superhero genre it's intended for. Another reason I like the system is that it allows for "minion" enemies who are easy to beat, but otherwise need not be so weak they aren't a threat.

Now, let's say you want to do some really cool or badass moment, or just really need something to go in your favor, but the dice aren't cooperating. Hero Points are the solution. You can spend a hero point to, among other things, reroll on an attack, save, skill check, or whatever else, and your reroll is guaranteed to be decent (you add 10 to any result on the die less than 10). You earn hero points by letting your complications inconvenience you, or otherwise by the whims of your fickle GM. I'll try to keep you guys in a decent supply of them.

The...challenging part is that some of the difficulty in learning the system is front-loaded. Actually playing the game is really straightforward. But making a character can take a while, particularly making a character that works the way you want them to. While you're learning, this can be a challenge, albeit one I am here to help with.

And there we have it, in too many tabs. The short version is, Re:EDMG is a chat-based RP which will be using the M&M 3rd edition rules. The setting is honestly pretty loose, but part of that is so you can feel free to add whatever details you need for your character, and I'll probably be just fine with it. Do you want to be from a certain planet that does things a certain way? Go right ahead. And so-on. It's...uh, it's totally not because I tend to play super fast and loose with settings in the first place.

Consider this thread something of a planning and "session zero" thread. If you have questions about the game, making your character, or anything else, feel free to ask. Please make any preferences for the tone of the game, or particular subplots or styles of play you prefer, so I can try and incorporate them.

And...most importantly, I'll use the thread to schedule the actual game session time. My time zone is UTC-05:00 (US Eastern Time). I think technically it's UTC-4:00 right now, due to daylight savings time being in effect. I'll do my best to plan to a time that works for everyone.

I'll plop some interest. I'm a site noob, but I'm competent.

Zub zub, let's get shit done. I'll start working on that Powered Up Sheet soon.

I'll plop some interest. I'm a site noob, but I'm competent.
I welcome new people, so it's no problem. I'm happy to help whether you're new to the site or the sort of game I'm running.

nu8VDui.jpg

Name: Ashley Maples

Appearance: Ashley’s pretty short, and she doesn’t eat too often, giving her a model-esque beauty that is envied but not particularly reasonable. Dark rings under her eyes are often hidden by makeup.

Personality: Highly emotional, but always trying to keep such emotions in check. Has a very strong sense of responsibility, and often tries to shoulder the burden herself.

History: Psychically talented at birth, she was brought under the wings of the USC early on, one of the few mages who weren’t reliant on mana and instead used a different source of energy. Through many experiments, her potential and talent were drawn out, and she became one of the youngest mages to participate in an anti-Bydo operation.

That operation, however, failed, when Ashley peered into the mind of a Bydo and promptly lost her own, psychic powers spiking up violently to the point where it was uncertain whether or not the rest of her unit died due to the Bydos attacking or her own collateral destruction.

They recovered her once the psionic storm died down, and, crushed by the guilt of her actions, Ashley requested for her to be equipped with a device to suppress the full extent of her powers. She fights to seek forgiveness, in hopes that perhaps, one day, she’ll save enough people that the nightmares would end.

But so far, that hasn’t happened.

Abilities: Dubbed the Queen of Catastrophe, Ashley wields psionic instead of elemental powers, her mind rather than her mana powering her ‘magical’ abilities. Originally, she had a wide host of abilities, from Telekinesis to Teleportation to Telepathy, but now, most of that power has been sealed, leaving her with only Telekinesis as the power she can use easily. Generally, her psychic aura is silver and inanimate, giving the impression of steel.
1QO4gdL.png

YBoHgBL.png

mZnQqXF.png

Dn70Ybp.png

Removable, Indestructible Device: Fortress Maiden
Forcefield 5:
Impervious, Sustained
Movement Array
Flight 7:
250miles/hr, 05miles/round, Wings, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion 2
Psionic wings manifest from back, granting her the ability to fly. Though not wholly necessary, the image of a bird's flight is what Ashley utilizes to grant her massive flying speed.

Teleport 4:
500ft/move, 200lbs, Increased Mass 2, Accurate, Turnabout, Noticeable (Explosion of Light and Sound), Unreliable (5 uses)
Space distorts and splits as Ashley instantly moves from one place to the next, temporarily folding space with her command over reality.

Queen of Catastrophe, Power Array
False Utopia (Illusion 8):
DC 18, Illusion Area: 500cft, Sight/Touch/Hearing, Distracting
Taking on the form of countless particles, Ashley's psionic energies fall like snow, before manifesting itself into a variety of different colors. Each 'flake' conjoins, forming three dimensional objects in order to complete large scale illusions that effect all within its area.

Lunacy Driver (Blast 10):
DC 25, Improved Critical 4, Affects Insubstantial 1, Range: Perception, Distracting, Inaccurate: -2
A javelin much too large for her to wield manifests through the ether, brimming with unstable telekinetic force. Tossed with her mind instead of her body, it detonates once it pierces its target, the bludgeoning damage greater than the piercing damage.

Thousand Stars (Blast 10):
DC 25, Range: 2000/4000/8000ft, Multiattack, Resistible: Will, Power Attack
One thousand silver orbs revolve around Ashley, launched outwards at her command to devastate anything from an area to a single individual.

Mind Crush (Mental Blast 10):
DC 25, Alt Resist: Will, Range: Perception, Reversible, Affects Insubstantial 2, Distracting, Unreliable (5 uses)
Using her index finger as the pointer, a steel halo manifests over the individual that Ashley targets, before tightening over their skull. A telepathic instead of telekinetic attack, it wraps around their head, tightening further and further as thorns of steel emerge, spikes of pain piercing their minds.

Telekinesis (Move Object 7):
DC 22, Range: 175/350/700ft, 3 tons, Damaging, Duration: continuous, Affects Insubstantial 2, Improved Hold, Resistible: Dodge
An invisible force guided by Ashley's mind, her Telekinesis can take many forms, being the most flexible power she wields, outside of False Utopia.
tdXXfNr.png

The face of the foe is grasped within her palm, establishing a psychic link that allows her to dive in and bend their will to her own. The moment she stops, however, is the moment that link is broken, bringing them out of her compulsion.

P96To45.png

OWFycPU.png

Rx8w1wI.png

lm5p3gY.png

[Linked Power] Unshackled Maiden
Psionic Burst (Flight 10)
2000mph, 4mpr, Wings, Fades

Mental and Suffocation 2 Immunity (Immunity 12)

Forcefield (Protection 9)
+9 Toughness, Impervious, Sustained

Psychic Ghost (Insubstantial 4)
Incorporeal (Effected by Electricity)

Eyes of Heaven (Senses 9)
Counters All Concealment, Penetrates Concealment

[Power Array] World Dominating Goddess
Lunatic Smasher (Blast 14)
DC 29, Improved Crit 4, Affects Insubstantial 2, Alt Resist: Will, Perception Range, Multiattack, Penetrating, Distracting

An Unseen Hand (Move Object 14)
Range: 350/700/1400, 400 tons, DC 29, Affects Insubstantial 2, Damaging, Increased Duration: continuous, Multiattack, Improved Hold

Deep Stalker (Mind Reading 14)
DC 24, Affects Insubstantial 2, Perception Area – Sight, Cumulative, Selective, Effortless, Feedback

Banishment (Teleport Attack 13)
30 miles in move action, 3200lbs, Accurate, Affects Insubstantial 2, Perception Area: DC 23 – Sight, Dimensional 1, Selective
fjm6MQu.png

Last edited:
@ERode

I'll wait for any edits from our discussion on Discord the other day before I pass final judgment (or we have another round of discussion, most likely). Things are looking good so far for her normal form, at least once her attack bonus is recalculated properly.

It's probably a good idea to put some descriptors on her powers, which will probably be helped along from the text descriptions of them. But if they're all psychic, that descriptor makes sense, also mental where it's relevant, and so-on. I'm not sure how important descriptors will be, but I'd like all powers to have at least a few of them, so we can have fun with it.

I'm using a very unethical device so i can't make a char sheet, nor use discord, and D20. So sadly i'll need to drop this. Wish i had a better device layout on hand.

Discord is optional; I haven't made a proper channel or the like yet, it's mostly ERode and I know each other from other things. Roll20 is a bit of a problem.

But, I should put this up for everyone in general. One can make a character sheet with a calculator and actual paper (or notepad). I do have a program that makes things easier, and I'll probably make the character sheets myself in it to provide convenient BBcode and pdf versions of everyone's character. There's also an online sheet on roll20, which is handy.

I may need help with the character creation part
No problems there. I can certainly help with making a character. If you have any questions, you can ask them here or in a PM.

The best I can really do is either give suggestions or prototype a character for you under your direction, so it would help if you have a good idea of what you want your character to do.

I shall be joining this.

I shall be joining this.
Cool. If you need help with the M&M character or similar, let me know. Can discuss stuff here or in a PM or whatever else is convenient for you.

Cool. If you need help with the M&M character or similar, let me know. Can discuss stuff here or in a PM or whatever else is convenient for you.
Yeah, I just got a hang of the power stuff. Would have been a lot easier if you were there though ;~; but reading is good to.

It's a little hard to wrap one's head around. Still, if you have specific questions, I'm around here and there. I haven't made discord channel for general OOC chatter yet, but I probably will. It might make discussing things a bit easier.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I have much in general to add, although some good things that came up in conversation is that you can certainly have more than two complications. And you can also feel free to make up your own complications, rather than be limited to picking from a list. I've done things like a magical girl with a "side job" of being an idol, or being really easy to bribe with food.

Well, yeah, I wanted my magical girl to be based around flight, for it to be her means of attack almost. Her power list is not looking very long.

@R-9 Pilot Question! So, I don't want her to use wings or anything, do I need to use the movement power for her type of flying?

Wings used for flight is actually a modifier. The Flight power by default assumes you just fly under your own power, like Superman does.

Oh okay. So adding anything to that would require the movement power.

I get a bunch of advantages though $.$

Ella Picture.jpg
Name: Ella Rias
Personality: Ella is a hot-headed girl who can turn a calm situation into a hostile one in seconds, and prefers to do-so. She has a strong desire to constantly experience and be kept on edge thus seeking out danger and dangerous jobs such as this one.

History: Ellanora Rias Rosetta III, later shortened to Ella Rias, was a child born from what used to be a prestigious family until some grandfather a few decades back blew their money. The Rosetta's were then forced into the middle class of humanity and actually had to do work for themselves. Ella never grew up in that lifestyle so it didn't bother her. Instead she grew up knowing about the Bydo and that they were bad and humans were good, so she saw it fit that she, a human, was supposed to beat them up.

Ella's violent nature showed early and she was sent to a military school rather than the traditional mage's school by her family in hopes she'd at least become a decent soldier. There, her natural gift to use cosmic energy was found and she was trained to use it well. After getting to a comfortable level with her powers anyone who dared challenged her was promptly beat to a bloody pulp and she'd claim their buttocks as her throne. The council soon threatened to jail her and Ella sucked up her pride to prevent being stuck in prison for assault, despite being thrown in the school against her will. But, In doing so Ella actually learned how to fight better and when she left the place, she enlisted immediately.

Ella's family was nothing short of proud of their little girl, but Ella could have given less of a damn. Whenever she spoke or wrote to them they always gave some kind of hint that they were looking forward to her increasing in rank. Ella had no intention of doing so, during her service she found that she enjoyed beating the snot out of whatever she was told to. To climb the chain of command would mean that her life would ultimately be about meetings and trying to control others. There was also all the responsibility, none of which she wanted, but she could see why some would take it.

So, Ella sits, a grunt waiting to be told when to kick some ass.

Sheet Stuff:
Ella's cosmic energy is most often a parallax effect of the stars, but some moves like "Cosmic Hit" are just pure black energy.
Abilities
Abilities.png

Advantages
Advantages.png

Skills
Skills.png

Complications
Complications.png

Powers
[ DAMAGE ARRAY START ]
Showstopper: Damage 10: DC 25, Advantages: All-out Attack
Ella swings her arm for a strong hook to her opponent's head. As the hook travels the energy surrounding her hand increases until it consumes her arm, then, on impact, all the energy flows into her opponent causing instant pain.

Cosmic Hit: Damage 5: DC 20; Accurate 2: +4, Insidious, Secondary Effect
An attack where the energy around the limb turns black. When the attack lands it allows the energy to flow into the opponent, leaving them unaware of the damage they have just sustained and of the harmful energy building within them. A moment later that energy will "detonate" causing a feeling as if being punched in the same area again, but yet again leaving them unaware to the damage sustained.

Cosmic Embrace: Affliction 10: 1st Degree: Dazed, Fatigued, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Extra Condition; Grab-based, Limited Degree 2
Ella lifts her target and channels dark cosmic energy into them. The aura consumes their head, draining them of their energy through pain.

[ DAMAGE ARRAY END ]

Flight: Flight 8: Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round
Ella takes off by enveloping herself in cosmic energy, she then flies around, leaving a small trail of stardust and black energy behind her.

Force Field: Protection 3: +3 Toughness; Impervious, Sustained
Invisible barrier around her skin.

Space Body: Regeneration 3: Every 3.33 [4] Rounds
Ella's abundant cosmic energy supercharges her systems allowing her body to heal faster.

Cosmic Sensing: Senses 1: Awareness: Cosmic Energy Awareness
Ella's affinity for cosmic energy allows her to pick out where it is.

[ COSMIC ENERGY CONTROL START ]
Cosmic Energy Control: Damage 6: Removable, Range: 150/300/600ft., DC 21; Increased Range: ranged

>[3 Ranks] Space Fists: Strength-based Damage 8: [8/8 PP, 1/r]Removable, DC 25; Penetrating 2
>> Energy engulfs Ella's hands like flames, enhancing her attacks. The energy is translucent and colored ominous black with images of the universe painted within the faint fumes.

>[2 Ranks] Space Sight: Senses 2: [8/8 PP, 1/r]Removable, Darkvision
>> Ella is able to see in absolute darkness. Ella's iris color is black while she retains this ability.

>[1 Ranks] Space Tail: Extra Limbs 6: [8/8 PP, 1/r]Removable, 1 extra limb, Advantages: Improved Grab
>> A long black space wolf tail, its effect is similar to the energy around her hands except it's opaque.

[ COSMIC ENERGY CONTROL END ]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.