Status
Not open for further replies.
@ShiroKiyoshi Warning: incoming wall of text.
So, first off that -1 Will save will be very troublesome. There are various effects that can hit it, notably mind control and other nasty stuff, so you'll probably suffer a fair bit as a result. I'd consider dropping other things specifically to raise it.

Black Bomb caused a fair bit of confusion among my group of co-GMs, so I'll be giving a fair bit of talking about it. First off, the area damage is only the 2 ranks, so it's not actually doing the full DC25 to anyone not immediately hit, I'm pretty sure. Alternatively, you might consider buying up the extra ranks so they apply to the ranks from strength as well, which is generally required for it to be true. Area also interacts oddly with Perception range. You can not only place the effect anywhere you can perceive, but it is then either blocked by concealment or cover. So either it doesn't affect what you don't know is there, or it doesn't go through walls. The SRD has a good explanation here. See the Range section under the Area modifier.

So, Black Bomb is kind of a weird power that may not be working nearly as intended. I'd also point out that area uses radius. A 60 foot radius is big. It's 120 feet across. A normal sphere is already 60 feet across (30 foot radius). So, that's pretty huge. And if it catches allies, they've got to tank it, too.

The other powers all seem ok. Though, on your triggered "counter"-like effect, since it's in an array, if you set it up, you can't use any other attacks. And once you do, it's no longer available to trigger. So you could, at best, be attacking every other round, and otherwise trying to get people to hit you so you can hit back.

There is some confusion on my end on why you have both gauntlets (which don't provide any real discount) and something which does a slightly different thing but is on its own, beyond the different extras, so it's fair to set them up as separate options. We also wondered a bit if your attack array is meant to also be inside the gauntlets, or not.

Grab Finesse when you have more strength than dexterity is kind of silly. You're better off before using the option it provides, most of the time. Speaking of grabbing, it's possible I wouldn't count any of the melee damage powers as "unarmed strikes" for the purposes of using Fast Grab.

Some small things:
Acrobatics based on agility doesn't really get you much. You could get the exact same thing by just putting the same point into the skill itself. The low perception and insight scores might hurt at times. Be aware that after intimidating someone, they will like you less. You might also consider the advantages that let you do various other things with Intimidate. All that close combat skill needs to be applied to a specific attack or set of attacks, but...you should probably save your points. Attack bonus and overall effect ranks are capped to sum twice the PL total, so you're probably better off just using the close attack advantage and taking all your points in the skill and putting them somewhere else. Possibly will defense.

Most of my group tends to lean toward lower overall Ability numbers and spending our points elsewhere for the same overall effect, but you do you. (For example, all your damage could be from strike/damage powers and you could lover your Strength to 0...)

Ill answer what I can now and fix stuff later.

Black Bomb: It was a blast ability, I dont think I specified that, so the increased range just came with it. Other than that I will look into either retconning it or deleting it.

Guantlets and Energy: Cool points with small buffs.

Grabs: R.I.P. me. I was hoping I could do that she could combo ;×;

Again ill fix all the technical stuff later

Last edited:
So I'm interested in joining and my character is almost done. I just need some help with the powers is all. I'm a bit confused on how they're formatted exactly.

Do you understand how to make the powers? I just noted the actual effect, it's rank, and any relevant details to it, such as range or DC.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ichigo
Okay, that makes it a bit easier. I believe I was trying to think about it a little bit too much. I think I got it now.

You also don't need to worry too much about them. Part of my review pass is to make sure your powers actually work the way you want them to. I'm also willing to help try and design anything particularly unusual, if you've got an idea of what you want to do, but are not sure how to do it when making a power.

I made a few sillies. I see here, I mean I see where my head was, but I wasn't paying attention to what I had already done. I was trying to make her a flier so I was making her really agile and dodgy, I forgot to change a bunch as she changed from that original concept.

I have made edits to my sheet. Got rid of stuff and added stuff. Thanks for the help.

Okay, let's go in for another pass.

So, things look pretty legit, overall.

You need to specify to what power(s) or attack(s) your Close Combat skill applies. And again, it may be completely irrelevant and you can just recoup those points because you're spending them for no real benefit or reason.

You forgot to list the second degree effects in Cosmic Embrace. Exhausted and Stunned?

Also, when I try to make your character in Herloab, you're 1 point over. I'm not sure how you got only 55 points on powers instead of 56. Please include the overall cost of each major array, power, etc. in the future. Same goes for everyone.

Or, maybe I figured it out. Is the base blast effect in that energy control array NOT a dynamic alternate? So either you're shooting bolts of energy or you can switch around to whatever appropriate combination of the other effects? Because that's neat.

Parry defense is a little low for a melee-type, but that may just be me and my general drive to stay at PL or into trade-offs on that stuff.

Cosmic Embrace has limited degree 2 ranks so it only has one degree. that might be ur extra point problem.

And I guess I'll rip that close attack thing out then

Also, HeroLab says my damage will be too high if I raise my fighting so I'll use the carried over points from close attack for parry.

Here's some screenshots of the powers after getting rid of close attack, so it didn't affect the powers costs, but my stats raised so something might've bumped up, though I just want to know where you're getting your extra point because it's all good on my end:

upload_2017-5-13_0-8-17.png
upload_2017-5-13_0-8-37.png

AH, I see now! Yeah, you made the cosmic control itself dynamic. No, it's a switch from like the melee monster to handblasts. I don't really need the blasting, but it's cool to have and fit the theme. Sorry for triple posting. @R-9 Pilot

No big deal. Do note that a cumulative affliction limited to one degree is a sort of paradox. It can't be cumulative, because it doesn't have higher degrees it can stack on. It's not the main power in the array as-is, so dropping cumulative won't change anything.

Close Attack (the advantage/feat) is fine. Close Combat (the skill) is not. See that "select attacks" button next to it? You have to specify what it applies to. (and may not need it, with close attack advantage levels making more sense).

• Useful
Reactions: ShiroKiyoshi
Its not cumulative?

That's right, it's not. So, Afflictions usually have three degrees of effect, depending on how badly the target fails their save. Normally, repeated applications don't do anything unless the target saves worse the second time. If the affliction is Cumulative, however, any effects stack.

An example:
Without cumulative, you hit the target and get the first degree effect. You hit them the next round, and get the first degree again: nothing changes, they're still just suffering from the first degree.

With cumulative: if you get the first degree twice as above, they instead stack into the second degree of the affliction.

Your affliction is limited to only one degree of effect, so it can't stack, because there's no higher degree it can inflict. therefore, Cumulative does nothing for it. Afflictions with extra conditions impose both at once, so in your case, if they fail the Will save, they're both dazed and fatigued. Why will and not Fortitude, though? Seems more appropriate to use the physical sort of resistance if it's resisting pain and such.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Since your cosmic energy control array is removable, please describe the shape it takes. Removable things are contained in physical objects. They're also difficult to take away without your cooperation, so it usually requires you be unconscious and helpless, etc. Iron Man's power suit is an example.

No no. My bad didnt mean to make that a question. I accidentally included cumulative in the title.

As for the will I thought since its magicky it fit better

So, anyone working on a character still? I'd like to get the game started soon, so it might be good to get things wrapped up sooner rather than later, if possible.

That said, I am not setting a hard deadline, yet.

Im done with mine.

And time to at least begin organizational things. I'll probably schedule games for Saturdays, at 1:00 Eastern Daylight time (GMT-4; the zone is GMT-5, but hour ahead because daylight savings time). So, pretty much right around when this post happens.

If you have issues with it, let me know, and I'll see about shuffling around.

@Ichigo still working on that character? I'm going to try and do session 1 next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.