3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
I use the rainbow rating as a way of saying "This sounds fun!" or "This is wild!"
@Gwazi Magnum , I wanted to throw my two cents in, but it would've dragged the thread off topic, so I made a new one!

What meaning or message do you guys think of as being behind each of our rating buttons?

:thumbsup: Like
:heart: Love
:bronzemedal: Thank
:wrench: Useful
:rainbow: Bucket of Rainbows
:drunk: Go Home You're Drunk
:computerkey: Cat Like Typing Detected
:warped: WTF Did I Just Read
:cookie: You Get a Cookie
:hug: You Need a Hug
:axeman: Nice Execution!

"This made me smile," "I'm glad you said that," "I saw this," "cool story bro," etc. For me, this one is positive, but very casual
"This made me laugh," "this made me feel all warm and fuzzy," "this made me go 'aww!'," "omg yes," " THIS THIS THIS," "I ship it."
Generally a similar but stronger reaction than Like
"I appreciate your message and/or the time and effort behind it," "you've done something I'm grateful for"
Basically what it says on the tin. It blurs a lot with
"I learned something!," "I'm going to use this a bunch," "this is handy to have / know!"
"Woo!" "This made me happy", just generally a fun, cheerful lil sign to respond to fun, cheerful things. I also use it on non-straight romantic things in a supportive way," like to say "love it," "ship it," etc
"You are being a sillyhead," "you are being mildly annoying," "well that's not true," "calm down!"
"Your keyboard done fucked up," "your formatting done fucked up"
I tend to not use this one and instead if it really does look too catlike to read, privately let the poster know and help them fix it. I've used it on spambots for kicks though.
"Are you being le Lolrandom? Do I need to go find my spork?" "Wat." "You're being silly/weird," "This makes 0 sense," "I don't get it," "context please??" "You have confused me so much..."
I try to not use this in a chastising or critical way, instead I do like with catlike typing.
Generally for something like "Good job," "Good try," "you deserve a reward of some kind," but occasionally "There you go, you special lil snowflake, you! *pinches cheek*" or "that's nice. Done now? Got that outta your system? Here's your hero cookie, off you pop."
"If I were there IRL I'd hug you" "that sucks, man" "you ok?" "I wish I could help" "this made me sadfaced"
"zing!" "Oh snap!" "Well done!" "Top-notch job!" "I'd comment, but there's nothing to add or I can't say it better" "wow!"

I often wish I could do two ratings so I could use the Thank, Useful, and Nice Execution ones in pairs.

I like it! I mean, those are pretty much the interpretations that I have in mind when I give ratings :3

This was a quality post, and I appreciate that it exists and had a chuckle.

I felt a genuine emotional reaction to this, and I agree with everything included within.

Somebody had to say it, I'm glad it doesn't have to by me.
You gave the detailed response I'm too lazy to write out.

The information given here is extremely useful to my roleplay, I'm going to be actively using the advice given within.

Someone condensed dreams and shoved them into this post.

The proper response to posts at three in the morning on a Saturday, posts by adults after 12:00AM or April 18th, or when "fite me m8 I'll rek ye" comes out in any variant.

a;ilgyovlbk.ng ,njluhipha;jv

It is as if an eldritch horror had been drawn from the abyss and put into words, any who read this need roll a sanity check.

Lies. Cookies are never actually given.

Something sad, relatable, or animal-related has occurred.

That was a pretty solid beheading of a French Aristocrat, the revolution will succeed due to patriots like you.

[Minibit's are really accurate, truthfully]

I have some mild like for this post in some way, but don't want to go to the effort of replying saying so.
I loved this post, and it likely said everything that was on my mind or made me think differently about something.
You helped me out with something in some way.
[Very rarely] when someone goes above and beyond to give me something useful in the long term.
A silly rating I throw at people when I have no response, but don't strongly dislike what they've said.
What happens when someone tries to force something to be funny, and can't take the hint... Or, if someone wants to pick a fight, and won't stop.
It's literally not intelligible.
Your post disgusted me, but I don't want to get into trouble replying saying so.
Forum equivalent of "you gave it your best try."
When someone is obviously distraught and/or argumentative but doesn't appear to have any particular point to the rambling or personal edge to it.
I don't know. Nobody has ever earned one of these from me. Go ahead and look on my profile, I've given out 0 of these. Maybe one day, someone will earn it. Not today, likely.

I just pick whatever nu lay cursor falls on first

Meanings are all the same

I just like giving out cookies >> It's my thing. So ever get a cookie rating from me, it's my yay! Have a cookie! Kinda thing. Unless your @Gwazi Magnum , you sir, get no cookies D<

• Love
Reactions: Dervish

I liked your post. I don't love it, but you did alright in my books.

I really like your post, it's made some pretty good points.

You said something that either needed to be said or really useful. I have to choose between useful and thank you, and by the looks of my ratings, thanks has been more popular o the two.

Congrats, I think your advice is awesome and helps the poster.

I'm drunk when I give these, so I don't know what the hell I use them for.

Either you've said something that I really disagree with but I have no patience or energy to talk about it and I'd rather not feel Diana's or any of the mod's wrath for arguing, or I think you were drunk tying whatever I rated. More or less I use it more for light disagreements.

Massive amounts of typos, or chatspeak.

Like 'Go home, you're drunk', I use this for more serious posts I disagree with but for peace sake I don't start arguments. Or I just can't read what you typed because it either makes no sense or there are so many typos in it I can't actually read it. Only used this one three times.

If I had a cookie I would give it to you because of whatever reason crosses my mind.

I have two ways of looking at this. If your post is about something you are struggling with, I'll give you a hug. The other hug is the face hugger, and I use it to lightly tell people that everyone needs a pet face hugger.

Nicely put.

I enjoyed this post, I agree with it to some content. There may be bits I disagree with, but if the majority of it is something I'm board with you get a like.

Same as like but for when the feeling with stronger, also I don't use this rating unless if I agree with 100% of the post.

Basically for whenever I'd say "Thank you" to someone.

This is informative, the content of this post will add to my knowledge base which will be used again in the future.

Perhaps the most unpredictable of my ratings. It usually means "This is fun!" or "This is crazy!" but that can come under any tone. So it could be a "You're so silly!" or "Oh boy! Shits gonna get real!". Usually I mean this in a positive context though, majority of the time if I mean it in a negative/disagreeing way I'll use some of the other ratings below.

Depends on the context of the room, environment. If it's a more silly/laid back environment this basically means "You're silly!" in an affectionate manner. In more serious threads it's for people who try to make an argument but then fall on their face, or their argument is lacking some base of logic/reasoning, or they're just getting too offended/taking stuff too seriously. In alcohol threads I just give this to everyone who mentions drinking, because when you drink you get drunk. :3

Sometime's it's when someone had typed content in such a bizarre/alien manner that it's intelligible, not in a "This makes no sense" manner but in this manner:

I've only ever ran into one Iwaku Member whose method of typing is so... off, that I felt it as warranted in that context though. The rest of the time it to "Go Home Your Drunk" what "Love" is to "Like" when someone either fails to make an argument or is just getting way too offended by something.

Very rarely used (now, I used to be more liberal in my early days). Basically when I am using it for the extreme-extreme negative connotations with "Cat Like Typing Detected". Like if someone is getting so offended they'll throwing a literal tantrum.

This is to "Bucket of Rainbows" what "Like" is to "Love".

I don't use this one, at all. BECAUSE I DON'T SEE A FACE HUGGER!!! >:C

I have a personal affection to this one though, this being a rating I had proposed to Iwaku just a week before it being added. So either extreme coincidences happened, or I'm the mother/father of all hug ratings on Iwaku. :3

As a result I tend to be rather liberal with this rating. There's the obvious use of "You seem sad, here's a hug", other times I use once again on someone being offended but in cases where the person is more just giving a soft moan than anything actually serious. So it's more of a "There, there, calm down". Then lastly, I use it whenever I want to go "MUA HA HA! SPAWN ALIEN BABIES FOR ME!!!".

What I use instead of "Like" or "Love" if the post involves a killer joke, a killer argument or just generally Mortal Kombat'd a thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenie
Here's how I use them. I don't really care enough to go psychoanalysis on how others use them because it's very context-dependant.

I like this post. Agree with this post. Slightly more lazy than +1.

You are @Hellis sharing music.

Thank you for posting this. Possible "thankgod i dont have to write an essay on this crap myself cause i realllllly dont want to."

I learned things/gained new insights.

Dumb joke in reference to something colour-related in the post.

Dumb joke in reference to something alcohol-related in the post.

rblsiglshflrs (Dumb joke in reference to something typo-related in the post.)

Never used.

Dumb joke in reference to something confectionary-related in the post.

Never used.

This made me laugh and was probably kind of mean.

I avoid using ratings as sarcastic or a way as to put someone down. The hug rating I especially associate with condescension so I have not and will not use it. I'm also completely aware of what I'm inviting by mentioning this.

Good shit man
Damn son that was some next level stuff 10/10 would totes read/watch/see/etc again
Thank you for doing ABC. Thank you for closing a shitty thread. Thank you doing this, this and that basically
Hey some shit I can actually use in the long run
BEST CONTENT OMFG I'M DEAD FROM LAUGHING SEND LIFE SUPPORT and/or FANGASMING INTENSIFIES
Dude lay off the weed and alcohol. Umm...are you high? Ummm I don't get you.
(Rarely ever uses this one unless I accidentally clicked on it by accident when I'm on my phone) CAN YOU PLEASE LOOK OVER AT THE RANDOM SHIT YOU ARE WRITING???
Don't tell me you believe this bullshit...Holy shit are you being serious? Oh my god how can you be like that? That ain't good to say? Goddamn it your argument had more holes than Swiss Cheese. You are like a matryoshka doll -- So full of yo'self... And the alike
Free cookie? You tried.
You look sad/angry/depressed/etc, lemme give you a hug

This was nice. Not amazing, but good.

Why yes, that is pretty amazing, thank you.

Haha, no seriously. Thank you. So nice of you that you did that.

This is handy to remember. Gotta bookmark it or something.

Oh my blerb yes.

You're not making sense. What logic is this?

Bad spelling/coding.

I... did not see that coming. Not sure if I'd ever want to either.

Per the meme, You Get a Cookie is supposed to be given in any circumstance in which a person is giving a highly intelligible post, and requests an equally levelled response, which the giver cannot uphold.

This is sad. Are you OK? You need a hug.

Heh, that's also a way to do it, I guess. You sure got that one right. SIR, SIR, PUT DOWN THAT AXE.

Good lord, after reading the other responses, I've come to the conclusion I'm a cynical bastard.

All y'all love me unconditionally because of it.

I use this pretty much as a stamp of approval and amusement for posts. Nothing ambiguous about it!

I really enjoy something, found it touching, or if used ironically, "this fictional joke is horrible but I'm totally on board".

Agreeing with the sentiment, support for one of my statements, the post said something that needed to be said, somebody did something nice or said something supportive.

Pay attention to this. It's full of good information. Alternatively, acting like a ridiculous tongue in cheek post is serious (e.g. "Don't trust trees, they'll eat your flesh.")

This is fun or silly, or alternatively, you just said something kind of dumb but endearing.

You mentioned drinking or you just said something really fucking dumb. Stop being an asshole.

You're being an idiot and saying a lot of ill-informed and ridiculous shit. More rarely, clean up your typing, you sound like a sentient e-mail scam.

This has become my replacement for the "No, just no" negative reaction. I reserve it for when people are being real assholes or super offensive.

I always saw this one as something akin to a pat on the head, or "at least you tried". I don't know why, it just seems like a back-handed complement a lot of the times.

Depending on context, either "you're being a whiny bitch", "nice first world problems", or "holy shit, that's awful, and you really DO need a hug".

Fucking rad. That joke was on point. Also, you roast like a champ.

I can say honestly I don't care for the cat-like typing detected rating. When I work really hard on a post and someone rates it that I feel bad. And I feel even worse when someone rates my posts that just because my username is Klutzy Ninja KITTY--which has happened a couple times. ;3;

I can say honestly I don't care for the cat-like typing detected rating. When I work really hard on a post and someone rates it that I feel bad. And I feel even worse when someone rates my posts that just because my username is Klutzy Ninja KITTY--which has happened a couple times. ;3;
I see stuff like that a lot, where somebody will have a certain user name and people largely only reply to them to have fun with the name while ignoring what the person actually wrote, so you inadvertently boxed yourself in with a cat-based name when there's a button right there.

• Thank You
Reactions: Klutzy Ninja Kitty
I see stuff like that a lot, where somebody will have a certain user name and people largely only reply to them to have fun with the name while ignoring what the person actually wrote, so you inadvertently boxed yourself in with a cat-based name when there's a button right there.
So you're saying if I changed my name to "Useful Magnum" then I'd get a lot more Useful ratings? :3

I like your post. Probably something I agree with, and maybe something I may have posted myself. Or it could mean I've seen and taken note of your post.

Your post is great! I really love it and it speaks to me!

Usually when someone's answered a question of mine, or maybe helped explain my stance or point of view when I couldn't. Or when someone's just been plain nice :3

Useful is useful! Information that is going to be helpful to me!

Rainbows in general are something I love. For me it means giving someone the best of wishes, best of luck, basically goodness and that I think you're awesome just like a rainbow!

I've never used this rating, but I usually assume it's used when someone says something so silly that the only reason fathomable is that they're drunk.

Basically it looks as if your cat walked over your keyboard. o.o . Just kidding :P To me this rating means the person has taken absolutely no care in proofreading their post, neither do they care for spelling or grammar.

Basically a harsher version of the drunk rating. Or when someone says something really weird or disturbing.

When you say something that in my opinion is cookie worthy XD Honestly, a rather neutral rating in my opinion.

These I reserve when I sincerely feel bad for a person and think a hug may help them out. Even if I may use them sparingly, they're always in the sincerest of manners!

:axeman: Nice Execution
When someone has said something completely witty for the most part. Or punny.

So, am I the only one now taking ratings people have given me, and then cross-referencing them with this thread to see people's thoughts?

@Brovo @Dervish you two are a tough crowd! >:(

So, am I the only one now taking ratings people have given me, and then cross-referencing them with this thread to see people's thoughts?

Not me :P I think I only once received a 'wtf' but rating, but that was accidental and the person felt bad.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
A compliment's value is proportional to the amount it is used by the person in question.

Supply and demand. It works for economics, it works for the power of words. :ferret:

• Useful
Reactions: Dervish
Status
Not open for further replies.