Rapture's Rebirth (Mr. Rattlesnake, Strawberry)

Mr. Rattlesnake

Edgebabby
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Rapture

April 17th, 1973

He always had hated traversing this area during the night. It always put him on edge. He wasn't sure why, during the day, it was your run of the mill underwater apartment complex, but when things got slightly darker outside, that was when Mercury Suites turned sinister. Of course, to any outsider, the fact this young man could tell the time of day, let alone while residing in an underwater apartment complex, it would have been to fanciful to believe.

But this place, this city, this....hell, seemed to transcend all natural laws of planet Earth. A city wasn't meant to be at the bottom of the ocean, but it was. The people here should've been long gone, but they weren't. The once shining example of gluttonous self interest had fallen in varying levels of disrepair and decay. There were cracks in the glass, water leaked in the city in many areas, the living areas were disheveled and decrepit. By all means, Rapture was nothing more than a product of a bygone era, left to rot at the bottom of the frigid North Atlantic

However, three years earlier, in 1970, something happened. Something had happened that hadn't occurred in years, perhaps decades.

An outsider found Rapture. Joshua Ryan was the man's name to be exact. He had shown up in the waterlogged city, claiming to be the rightful to Rapture. He was supposedly the nephew of Andrew Ryan, the last surviving member of the Ryan family.

Tyson smirked to himself as he stood his feet, a bit wobbly after taking a short nap, one couldn't really blame him, could one? He had spent most of the day scavenging and fighting off other Scavs. He sighed to himself as he felt his wound, on the right side of his body, a bullet wound, just above his thigh. It hurt like hell, but would live. He shook those thoughts from his mind as he remembered why he was even over here in the first place.

He picked up his oversized revolver and took a few steps towards the exit, he looked into a shattered mirror. His deformed face disgusting him. He slide the rabbit mask down onto his face, quietly repeating a mantra he knew all to well

"I may be a splicer, but I am no monster."

latest

Olympus Heights was once considered apart of Rapture that catered to the most successful to its society, the ones who truly made it and benefited from their riches. That was then, and now here isn;t safe from ruin, just like the rest of this fallen city. This area was once thriving, but the only thing down here are the splicers are mumbling around as if they are looking for something. There is a small group of them, gathering around a barrel fire and keeping warm until they turn to see two more walking to join them. One of them is a hulking looking back, carrying a body in his arms, and the other is a hag.

"Boys! Boys! You won't believe what we found! Its a cute little butterfly!" The hag said, as she points to the body in question. It is a young woman unconscious. The group ponders at the girl, confused for a moment.

"Really? Did she have any ADAM on er'? One of them asked.

"No...but twas thinkn' that this butterfly could be an offering! The boss would give us some if we give er; over!" The splicers mumble amongst themselves, seeing as it is a good idea.

"Yes! Yes! More ADAM for us! Quick, put er' somewhere! If another find, then they'll steal our bounty!"

Tyson growled in frustration as he hid behind an old dumpster close to the group of splicers. They hadn't noticed him yet, but chances were these mooks were part of the local splicer clan that had risen up after Sofia Lamb had left Rapture with her daughter, Eleanor. After their departure, everything went from crazy, to downright insane. The remaining splicers went ballistic in their search for ADAM, Tyson remembered himself having withdraw symptoms every now and again. Those were not pleasant times. However, be it the will of God or something else, his symptoms stopped, seemingly out of the blue.

He peeked over the corner of the dumpster and had to bit back a gasp as he noticed a young girl in the big lug's arms. From what he hear, it seemed they either planned on turning her into their clan chief, or that man Josh Ryan himself. He was about to bolt when an overwhelming sense of guilt hit him. Could he really do it, could he really leave this girl... this outsider to her fate? He growled once more, there were too many to fight on his own, perhaps he could negotiate with the hag who seemed to be commanding them.

He took a deep breath slowly stepped out from behind the dumpster.

"Call your men off Maggie, that girl is Scav property." He said flatly to the hag, obviously knowing who she was.

"Huh? Who's there?" The splicers looked around, and if Tyson were visible, they would hiss at him. "No you don't, boy! We found er' first! She is ours!" Maggie is absolutely furious about being discovered so quickly. "I don't care! If you come any closer, you will regret it!" SHe warns him, these are splicers that would do anything to secure their line of ADAM if they take in the reward. None of these guys seem to be in possession of plasmids, but that doesn't make them less dangerous. They are mostly thugs, but the big one is a brute. "What are you going to do if we don't?"

Tyson glared sharply at Maggie and her goons from behind his rabbit mask. He should've known they wouldn't give up the girl easily. He could feel his inner self start to heat rapidly. He Incinerate plasmid was coming to life as a response to the danger in front of him. He holstered his revolver and snapped his fingers, generating a spark of fire.

Alright, I'm good to go, hopefully I can put these fools down before I run out.

"Last warning....give me the girl....or I'll fucking bury you." He snarled The splicers in front of him took a step back, looking at each other with uncertainty.

Thunk!

Tyson stumbled a bit as stars appeared in his vision, one of those bastards got the jump on him. Instinctively, he whipped around and hurled a fireball directly into the chest of the splicer who had hit him with a crowbar. The man emitted a shriek of pain as he knocked off his feet and his body partially ignited. The man thrashed wildly, lasting much longer than any normal human would under these circumstances, before falling still, his body blackened and charred.

"Oh shit! It's a houdini boyos! Watch out!" Another one Maggie's thugs cried out as the group scattered, preparing for battle.

Maggie grumbles, but she decides to talk. "Only if you give us ADAM for all of us...but me doubt you have any, do ya, boy?" She asked, him and distracted him just enough for a sneak attack right behind Tyson. Unfortunately, the boy has a plasmid under his belt and the splicer has been charred to a crisp. "Oh! OH! Scatter!" And so the gang manage to scatter out of there, they have pipes and heavy wenches, but hey also have pistols just in case. The Brute splicer that is carrying the poor girl has enough rationalization to escape with the prize.

Tyson notices the group scatter. He concentrates and feels his body slip away in a red mist.

"Where'd he goes!" A Leadhead splicer barked. The red mist reappeared close to two splicers. Tyson hurled fireballs at the pair, one of them was hit and flew through the air. The other splicer dove behind a stack of crates and peeked his head over. A fireball singed him as it zoomed past. He pulled his gun up and returned fire.

Tyson swore to himself as a few bullets grazed him. He teleported to cover and pulled his revolver, taking a moment to catch his breath as his cover was being riddled with bullets from three or four splicers. He peeks his head out and takes aim, firing off four rounds. Two hit their mark as a Thuggish splicer collapses, it's not enough to kill the man, but it is enough to keep him out of the fight, Tyson notices the Brute splicer carrying the girl making his way towards The Atlantic Express, if they got on the train and left Olympus Heights, the girl would be a goner. Tyson growled and lept up and chased after the brute.

"He's getting away....after him!" A Leadhead cried as a smaller group of splicers chased after him.

The brute is making his way to the Atlantic Express, and believe it or not, it still have working trams that would take them almost anywhere in Rapture. The hulking splicer carries the girl to try and reach the tram, despite being chased by Tyson and his Plasmid abilities. Even if he did try to catch up, the brute is a powerful force that would crush anyone standing in his way. He does reach the train and puts the girl inside of the tram, he decides that he runt himself. he cannot take them all himself.

A red mist appeared at the far side of the room. Tyson appeared and noticed the brute carry the girl into a open tram car, setting her down on one of the the seats. From behind him, he could hear the other splicers closing in on him.

"Dammit." He muttered, he couldn't take a brute on by himself, but he couldn't just abandon the girl either. He quickly sneaked his way onto the train, making sure to be as quiet as possible. The brute was at the controls, doing his best to get the train rolling. Tyson made his way over to the girl, yep, definitely an outsider. He scooped the girl up in his arms and turned to leave, unfortunately, the girl's leg caught a stray glass bottle, knocking it to the ground.

The Brute is trying to work the controls, but he cannot seem to get it right as he gets angry. He jumps off the train to meet with the pursuer to kill him. "Come on, runt! Let's see what you got!" He yelled, daring him to come closer. He is big and buff, surely that one splicer cannot stand against his might alone. The girl was theirs, and there is nothing he can do about it. Little did he know that he has gotten the girl out already, and he realized it too late.

Tyson sprinted down the hall as he fought against exhaustion. The fact he had to teleport both him and the girl out of that sticky situation did a great number on his body. His sprint slowed to an exhausted walk and he strolled into a cornerstore he himself had converted into a bunker of sorts. The windows were boarded up, the doors chained shut, and few security turrets were up and running, just in case something happened. He carried the girl over a couch and set her down gently, before heading off in search of his spare EVE hypo.

The girl starts to stir, the cool air touching her skin is finally starting to wake her after a long time of sleeping. Her eyes slowly opens to see a cement ceiling in front of her. Where on Earth is she? She is trying to put the pieces together in her mind, then it slowly came to her. A city underneath the ocean, she came here, and was attacked. Those men, no, they were men no longer, but these misshapen creatures that are hungry. This made her spring into life as she sat up from the mattress, quickly scanning for danger.

At that very moment, Tyson walked back into the room , rubbing his wrist to alleviate some of the pain he just encountered from using and EVE hypo. The first time he injected ADAM into his body, it felt like his whole person was on fire, it felt like a thousand needles all stabbing him at once. Eventually, years upon years made him immune to the pain, it also grossly deformed him as well. The substance had warped everything, except his mind.

He looked up to see the girl had finally awoken, she stared at him with wide eyes.

"Uh...hello there." Was all he could really think to say.

She bolts up in terror regardless, she is trapped with one of those scary people who always were masks to hide their deformed faces. What did this one do to her? Nothing noticeable it seems, but she is not going to let her guard down. "Ah, stay away from me...ow..." SHe feels dizzy, he head feels like it will explode on the inside. She wish that she had some kind of pain killer, especially in this situation. "Where am I....how did I..."

Tyson brought his hands up , trying to calm the young woman down, "Whoa, take it easy there little fish, there is no need to get excited. I didn't do anything to ya if that's what you're worried about." He said calmly, he paused a moment to gather himself, it had been so long since he so a person who hadn't been deformed by ADAM.

"I brought you to my safehouse, those mooks shouldn't be able to get ya here."

The girl moves off of the mattress, keeping her glare at the stranger with the mask. She doesn't have a weapon on her, she doesn't remember where she left it, but was lost when she was attacked. She has no Adam on her either, but she is very much clean because she never took it. She quickly looks around for any kind of thing to defend herself, no such luck, but she will keep her distance. "Oh yeah? How do I know that you won't do anything to me?"

"You don't." He answered honestly, he wasn't about to lie and say something all mushy and feel good, to be honest, he wasn't sure why he had saved her in the first place. She was more out of place then he was that he one time he went to a nightclub in Olympus Heights. "Look, I know that probably won't make you feel any better about the situation you're in right now, but please, for the time being, you are going to have to trust me." He said, pausing a moment.

"What is your name?" He asked.

The girl stared at him, what did he do to her? She doesn't feel weird at all, but that doesn't mean that she is in the clear. She backs away from him still, he doesn't seem to be harmful, but she cannot be too careful. "....my name is none of your concern, i am here for one reason...and it certainly doesn't help that I am in this shack." She hissed, then hits her back against the wall.

Tyson's small smile had all but disappeared at this point, of course, most people were horrified by his visage, why would this outsider be any different? He sighed as a he took a small step back giving the girl a little more space. As much as he wanted to lash out in frustration, he knew he couldn't. She was just scared, that's all. To be fair, if he was in her position, he would probably be just as scared as her....probably.

"Very well, I won't pry for the time being, but know this little fish, whether you would like to admit it or not, you'll need me, I'm probably going to be the nicest guy you'll find in this town." He said as he made his way over to a reclining chair and sat down, he pulled a lever on the chair and a leg rest came up.

"After all, I saved your fishy ass, from a group of creeps who were keen on turning you in to the head honcho around here." He said nonchalantly, he glanced her way once more, a sly smile spreading across his face .

"You're welcome by the way."

The girl moves backwards, moving along the wall until she has reached the corner and kneels as she wonders what to do now. Apparently, she is trapped within a guy that is addicted to the red substance that has ruined the city, but she was saved by him or she would've been in trouble. "...just keep you hands to yourself. I won't be sticking around here for long." She has to get out of here, but for now, she is forced to stay here.