RANT Your Brains Out #98274

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son's PS4 got messed up yesterday. I was reading through a bunch of sites on how to fix it and kept asking him if he tried starting it up in Safe Mode, to which he tells me he did. Gave up on trying to fix it yesterday and started on it today. Go through the options again and decide to try Safe Mode myself. Go into his room, hold the power button down and he starts freaking out that I"m going to break it. I didn't break it, I started it in Safe mode. "Wow, what's that? I've never seen it before."

Are you freaking kidding me? It's Safe Mode! The thing you told me you already tried!!! Here I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how to fix it, thinking that he already tried the method that everyone suggests, and he didn't even try it!

I love my kids, but some days they make me wish I could go on vacation and just not come back for a year or two.....

I just want some "You get a cookie" post responses, because I'm tired of "hugs" and I want some damn cookies.

[I also don't want to bother explaining what is actually worth ranting about.]

EDIT: Y'all are great.
I'll leave this with you:

Last edited:
How do normal people process jealousy/envy because apparently I can't process them healthily at all

I received unsealed legal papers. UNSEALED!!! Anyone could have opened it and read them and get my information. Wtf.

I'm having nightmares about missing my train. Holy hell, I do not need this.

And now I can't sleep at all.

Urgh

I figured something like this might happen though, so I purposely packed early and put days aside where I have nothing to do but (try to) sleep or whatever but it's still frustrating.

Last edited:
Please... stop trying to make everything a competition. I don't know why you do it, or what compels you to think it's welcome, but I don't appreciate you cloning every thought I come up with... It takes the fun out of SO much stuff. And to do it by taking credit for something I did is even worse. I love you, but I'm really disappointed in you right now.

>Knew that there would be a new Steven Universe on at 7PM tonight.
>Does not currently have DVR service, and therefore has to catch these things live.
>Planned on watching the episode live.
>Wrote down a reminder in my schedule for the day about watching the new episode.
>Made a conscious effort to be back in my room before 7PM so that I could watch it.
>Arrived home shortly before 7PM -- just in time, really.
>Paced around my room for about 5-10 minutes spacing out and thinking about John Lennon Discourse(TM) for no particular reason, glanced at the clock probably at least three times while this was happening, thought about what my plans for the rest of the night would be and tried to motivate myself to do some more packing before tomorrow.
>Realized, at about 7:10 (and after looking at the clock for at least the 4th time in the last 10 minutes), that I had completely forgotten to watch Steven Universe.

tumblr_inline_oou94jBA6p1rbu47w_540.jpg

I am fucking disgusted.

When your friend gets out of the mental hospital, and they describe the experience as being "traumatizing", and that they're so relieved to have gotten out, and basically have next-to-nothing positive to say about their stay? You know there is something seriously fucking wrong with that entire system.

I mean, I already knew that there are some serious problems with the mental health care system. This is something that has been researched, that I have researched. Like, I've read articles from scientific journals on the subject. Mental health patients are basically treated like prisoners. Like animals in a zoo. And, yeah, that's fucked up, and I was already kind of angry about that -- but it's one thing to be upset about a societal injustice from a distance, when it doesn't personally affect you... and a whole other thing altogether when you see the shit that these so-called "doctors" are putting your friend through.

She wasn't told the rules of the establishment, and was punished for things she didn't know she wasn't allowed to do. She basically wasn't allowed to express any of her concerns or even ask questions about anything that was going on, because all of that was just seen as "defiant behavior", and therefore punished. She wasn't told the purpose or possible side-effects of the medication they prescribed her, and had a hard time obtaining that information even when she specifically asked for it. I'm pretty sure that TV ads are legally required to list each and every possible side effect that a drug could have, and I know that I receive an information booklet about the intended effects and possible side-effects of adderall with every refill I receive -- even though I never specifically asked for it -- and yet, they fucking prescribed her medication, didn't tell her what the drug actually does, effectively forced her to take the drug (more on that later...), also didn't warn her of any possible side-effects, and then -- and here's the best part -- when she tried to tell a staff member that the drugs were making her dizzy and making her anxiety worse, they basically fucking side-stepped that whole thing and changed the subject of the conversation.

What the fuck. You should be able to have an open conversation with a doctor about these kinds of things if you're prescribed any kind of medication. What the fuck.

When I was in the visitors' waiting area, I saw a fancy plaque on the wall that listed the "Mental Healthcare Consumer Bill of Rights" -- basically, listing all the rights that a mental patient should expect to have on account of being, you know, a human being.

Almost everything on that list, yeah, sounded like a right that mental health patients should have. The problem is that most of the points on that list were being blatantly violated, with almost no attempt made to hide it.

"You have the right to receive information on any and all diagnoses and treatment you receive." Bullshit. My friend wasn't told anything about her medication -- at least not at first -- and didn't even know she'd been diagnosed with anything until after the medication was already prescribed.

"You have the right to a second opinion." Oh really? Because when my friend asked for a second opinion in response to her depression diagnosis -- saying that she really didn't think she had depression -- the docs said she was being argumentative, and diagnosed her with BPD.

"You have the right to refuse any and all treatment that is offered to you." Mmmm well technically you can refuse it... buuuut... then that means they can keep you locked up until you do agree to take it. I would say that this technically fits the letter of the law and just not the spirit of the law, but, even the letter of the law is still being violated, in some cases, because apparently, if you refuse to take the medication prescribed to you, they just might try to trick you into taking it by mixing it in with your food like you're a fucking dog.

No, really. I overheard two staff members talk about how difficult one of the patients was being, and how they finally got him to take his meds by hiding it in his pudding. Not only that, but I also feel I should point out that these two staff members just so happened to be standing right next to a sign on the wall that said "Patient information is confidential and should not be discussed here." And they referred to this patient by name. I wish I was making this stuff up.

Technically my friend was given a list of phone numbers to call if she witnessed any rights being violated or anything like that. So, I asked why she didn't call any of them. She said that she certainly wasn't going to call any of the numbers while she was in the institution, because any attempt made at exercising her supposed rights just led to her being punished.

Think about that for a moment. She knew she was being mistreated, and had access to a higher authority that she could report this mistreatment to, but she didn't do any of that, because the people who were doing the mistreating had effectively bullied her into silence.

This is literally what abusers do to prevent their victims from getting help.

You call yourselves "doctors". Your goal is to help your patients get better, and to make them healthy again. But instead, you use abuse tactics on them.

The fact that you're still allowed to carry the title of "doctor" in spite of all that, is fucking appalling.

"Kaga, you're overreacting. I'm sure the doctors there are just acting in the patients' best interests. They had to force them to take medication in order to help them get better."

Two problems with that:
  1. If that's true, then I shouldn't be told that these patients have the "right" to refuse treatment, or anything else on that list, when none of it is actually true. If you're going to completely strip people of their autonomy and dignity "for their own good", then at least be honest about it.
  2. They straight-up said that the reason they didn't give my friend a choice in taking her meds, and the reasons why they were so harsh on punishing her, were because they had to "fix her behavior" and "keep her under control". Not to help her feel better, not to improve her mental health, but to control her.
That's not a doctor's job. That's a fucking prison warden's job.

And you know what the worst part of all this is?

The only reason my friend was taken to a mental hospital in the first place, was because she told a doctor that she was suicidal.

And, yeah, what's the best thing to do for someone who is suicidal? Take them -- against their will -- to a place where they will spend all day, every day, locked up indoors without any sunlight or fresh air, minimal contact with the outside world, no access to most/all of their old hobbies and sources of entertainment, hardly any autonomy to speak of, no ability to express their own opinions, and where they generally won't be treated like a human being with actual thoughts and feelings, and instead treated more like an animal in a zoo. You know, the sort of place that sounds like it was specifically designed to destroy a person's will to live. That makes perfect sense.

My friend said that she and her family are already planning to sue. And, I mean, good. Everything I have seen and heard about this place is fucked up on numerous levels and probably literally illegal. I want to see justice get served, and I want to believe that my friend has a case, here.

...But...

I'm hesitant to be optimistic about anything, because I have a bad feeling that the lawsuit won't work out in their favor, and that the mental hospital will continue to do what they've been doing, and that no one will be able to do anything about such an injustice.

And that is an awful feeling...

That kind of feeling is the reason why I became so emotionally numb just a few days ago, in response to a completely different awful situation (which still hasn't been resolved...). I was optimistic then. I realized that the situation was shitty, but I tried to suggest ways to fix it. I kept on believing that there had to be someone or something we could turn to to help straighten things out. But... eventually, all our options were exhausted.

There was just... nothing else to be done. It was an awful situation -- one that reminded me of a very similar situation that I went through, and that I was somehow lucky and privileged enough to get out of -- and there was nothing we could do to see justice be served.

Not only that, but, the whole incident left me doubtful as to whether or not any of us were even in the right about what was going on. Maybe my friend was wrong to think that this bad thing that happened to them was in fact a bad thing. Maybe all the people around us -- the people we were so upset with for not being on our side -- were actually right... And maybe, in my own, similar situation from the past, maybe I, too, was wrong... And maybe all of the emotions I felt back then were nothing more than a sign of my weakness, of my brokenness, of my inability to be a functional human being and a sign that I won't ever amount to anything meaningful because I'm just not cut out for this world.

It led to some very dark, despair-filled thoughts, and some hard relapsing on past emotional issues... and at a time when I was already stressed enough as it was, just dealing with the end of the semester... And, as a result, I just sort of... went numb. It wasn't even a conscious decision. It just sort of... happened. The emotions I was experiencing were too overwhelming, and some part of my brain just decided to... turn it off.

Even now, I have a hard time feeling upset about that particular situation. I know that it was fucked up, but I don't... feel it like I did before. Even that last paragraph was more a reflection of my memories of how I felt at the time, rather than how I feel right now.

As for the mental hospital -- that I'm still pissed-off about. But my fear is that, although I'm riled up now because I want to see my friend and her family fight to see this injustice be fixed... I can't help but worry that none of it will amount to anything, that "the establishment" will be against us from the very start -- and that, worst of all, we were all completely in the wrong, and so entitled, to think that there was anything wrong with what happened... And that everyone will be against us because they all know that that's just how the world is... It sucks, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And if you think that you can do something about it? Or that, even if you personally can't do anything, that you still don't deserve to be treated that way, and that someone should do something about it?

Then you are nothing more than a pathetic, whiny, privileged, entitled, spoiled, good-for-nothing, t r o p h y w i f e.

Last edited:
See, this is the sort of thing I was trying to get at with that reference to Plato's Cave in a previous rant.

It's a good thing to be out in the sunlight, so I've been told... but it hurts. It hurts too much and I can't handle it, and I'd rather retreat into the cave and stare at shadows for the rest of my life instead of facing the truth.

But, of course, I still feel bad about staying in the cave, because, after all... that just means I'm stupid and ignorant and, worst of all, weak.

The only reason I don't want to leave the cave is because I'm too weak to handle it. The only thing I can handle, is sitting in a cave, blissfully deluding myself into thinking that the understanding of reality that I've based off of shadows is the real one. Because the actual reality is too painful to accept.

What the fuck was I even so emotional about back in March, anyway? I can't think of a single thing I was upset about back then, that isn't massively overshadowed by more recent events.

It's true. I am privileged...

Fuck. By this point in the night, I should've been happily curling up with some fun distractions after a productive night. But not only was it not productive, it was also... not satisfying or tiring enough, and now I just feel like I won't be able to get to sleep. I'm still too wired.

I'm going to spend the next several hours fruitlessly trying to find some sort of outlet for all of this anxiety, and then I won't get enough sleep to be remotely functional tomorrow.

I already feel like my brain has been slowly rotting over the past week or so. My forgetfulness has been way worse than usual. I feel like a fucking dementia patient.

I'm also hungry, and I know I won't get to sleep easily on an empty stomach, but I just... so don't feel like eating right now.

Of course, that last one's a very first-world-problem, isn't it?

Ughhhh.

My counselor called me today to ask if I was doing ok amidst the stress of finals week.

But I told her I didn't have time to talk, because I was at work, which was... true, really.

But like... why did it have to be while I was at work?

If I was not at work, I would've made it a lot more clear that I was not ok.

Because I'm not.

Edit: I mean, the reasons for me not being ok have hardly anything to do with finals. It's just that, all this stuff happened to come up at this particular time... but like... still.

It's already three in the morning and I got so sidetracked that I stopped eating. Ugghhhh. ><

I don't know what's real. I don't know what to think.

Oh my god it's fucking 4AM already.

Two hours ago, I felt... upset, but not... that bad...

But then I made the mistake of trying to vent and seek out some emotional support to help me feel better before bed. Now I only feel 10x worse. Great! I guess I'll go cry myself to sleep or something...

(Except I feel bad about saying that publicly, because that's emotional manipulation and pity-whoring. But if I bottle everything up, then, that's not healthy, either. And if I seek out a specific person to talk to in PMs, then I run the risk of getting bad advice that makes me feel worse about everything. What I'm trying to say is, I can't win! There is no winning answer. There never is. Life doesn't offer winning answers, and it's on me to grow the fuck up and accept that.)

OH MY FUCKING GOD. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME.

I was given the simplest fucking instructions, and I didn't follow them. I have no excuse for my actions, I'm just a shitty person.

After realizing my mistake, I had plenty of time to fix the situation. But I didn't. Worse, I tried to pass the responsibility on to someone else. Why did I do this? I literally don't know. Because I'm a completely incompetent piece of shit, who can't handle the simplest fucking tasks, and gives up at the slightest difficulty?

I deserve everything bad that's happened to me and more. I am seriously the fucking worst. Why am I like this?

I'm stupid. It wouldn't be so bad if I had even one friend to hang out with. I'm so tired of being ignored at work and bursting into tears every fucking day.

Status
Not open for further replies.