Ragnarok

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.png

"The power of malevolence...?!" Shirou questioned, eyeing the man who identified himself as Aurora carefully. He could only assume that this dark aura he felt was also this so-called malevolence, in turn presumably the name given for the dark magecraft in the air. The rules were different here, and Shirou certainly felt like an outsider. An unintentionally invading force to a dark place that he had no reason to be in, but he was here regardless.

He felt great distaste at being called this man's "child" as well. More memories of the past that had shaped him into who he was today flooded his mind, causing the young man to clench his fist tightly.

"I already have a father... And he was a true hero. A champion of justice. Not like you and your delusions, villain," Shirou spoke, before the man proceeded to display knowledge of their objective here; the chest of the captain's uncle. Aurora was obviously plotting something, that much had to be obvious from Shirou's point of view, and he wasn't going to be around to let that happen, hopefully.

"The chest?! What... What do you know about it?!"

@Krieg @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi @Atomyk @Kaykay @LuckycoolHawk9 @Yun Lee

Jasmine would join both Fandral and Ashley in playing the board game, giving and amused smile at the cover of the game itself. What an interesting thing it was.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Gands @thatguyinthestore

--------------

The note, acquired by Ingrid, appeared to reminder of the poem from the note she had previously acquired.

Siblings chase dead gods
Prophets and disciples lost in time
Against us are all the odds
The Third Seed awaits our climb
So the Seed reborn...

Old One, Master, Majesty
Can you say his name?
Legions of the Third Seed
Carriers of light and Paradise
Ascension into the grace of Dawn...

Looking eerily similar to the previous note she had retrieved from the corpse, Ingrid could combine the two notes together if she wished at any moment. Perhaps such a cryptic hymn could provide clues as to what has happened in the swampy depths of Piper's Landing.

For Ingrid, the dark-robed man's mind would be filled with an ungodly power. Whereas the villagers's minds were essentially hollowed, dark skulls devoid of any cognitive ability, the priest held a mind of pure light. Basked in a heavenly glow, such a mind could make the psychic feel warm, as if such rays of light were analyzing her own mind as well.

---

"Father Aurora is my name," the elder spoke, wisps of shadows dancing where his legs would of been. Like that of a wraith, the ghastly entity, shrouded in illusions hovered before the group. "Do not worry, your...leader is but dazed. The power of malevolence is strong to the uninitiated, but I can see some of you have had your dance with the beauty of Dawn already." Aurora spoke, turning around, ascending back towards his stone podium.

"My children are of their own accord, they do not follow the glory of Dawn by my leash. Although, we have the occasional...defiler that has been shown what happens when disrespect authority." Aurora spoke calmly, a dark chuckle escaping his lips, turning back around before the group and his flock.

"Stand if you wish, you are all my children in the end. Although you are lost, rebellious, driven by avarice and falsehoods. I can see it in some of you," Aurora paused pointing particularly at Coco. "All the golds and gems you brandish, such material luxury, you will find such desires in the dying fires." he forewarned, holding his arms out. "I know what you seek. Just as one your friends has tried to see what goes in the depths of my mind, I can see your desires and dreams....

"You want to know where the chest of the old merchant is, yes?"

A cry erupted from the ensemble flock of the congregation, the villagers crying out in unison, as if trying to imitate a maddening version of a Gregorian chant. Captain Qadira, alone near the front of the congregation, seemed to be recovering, looking back at her band of mercenaries, warriors and compatriots alike. Rubbing her forehead, her face was a mixture of emotions, though above all else she glared with confidence. As if her eyes spoke of never giving into to this strange cult.

"How about I tell you where it is after my sermon, yes?"

@Jeremi @Kaykay @Yun Lee @Takumi @Atomyk @Verite @Archmage Jeremiah @LuckycoolHawk9

Clare remained calm, but tense, ready to pounce like a lioness if needed. For now though, she kept an eye on Qadira, before Aurora spoke to them of the chest.

"Father Aurora, I have but one simple question...something had been watching us before we came here. Does it have anything to do with you, or the malevolence of this place?" silver eyes glanced up to the red cloaked being. She couldn't help but wonder though, if he would really tell them where the chest was or use it as a trap?

@Krieg @Yun Lee @Verite @thatguyinthestore @Kaykay @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Atomyk

The note, acquired by Ingrid, appeared to reminder of the poem from the note she had previously acquired.

Siblings chase dead gods
So the Seed reborn...

Old One, Master, Majesty
Can you say his name?

Looking eerily similar to the previous note she had retrieved from the corpse, Ingrid could combine the two notes together if she wished at any moment. Perhaps such a cryptic hymn could provide clues as to what has happened in the swampy depths of Piper's Landing.

For Ingrid, the dark-robed man's mind would be filled with an ungodly power. Whereas the villagers's minds were essentially hollowed, dark skulls devoid of any cognitive ability, the priest held a mind of pure light. Basked in a heavenly glow, such a mind could make the psychic feel warm, as if such rays of light were analyzing her own mind as well.

---

"Father Aurora is my name," the elder spoke, wisps of shadows dancing where his legs would of been. Like that of a wraith, the ghastly entity, shrouded in illusions hovered before the group. "Do not worry, your...leader is but dazed. The power of malevolence is strong to the uninitiated, but I can see some of you have had your dance with the beauty of Dawn already." Aurora spoke, turning around, ascending back towards his stone podium.

"My children are of their own accord, they do not follow the glory of Dawn by my leash. Although, we have the occasional...defiler that has been shown what happens when disrespect authority." Aurora spoke calmly, a dark chuckle escaping his lips, turning back around before the group and his flock.

"Stand if you wish, you are all my children in the end. Although you are lost, rebellious, driven by avarice and falsehoods. I can see it in some of you," Aurora paused pointing particularly at Coco. "All the golds and gems you brandish, such material luxury, you will find such desires in the dying fires." he forewarned, holding his arms out. "I know what you seek. Just as one your friends has tried to see what goes in the depths of my mind, I can see your desires and dreams....

"You want to know where the chest of the old merchant is, yes?"

A cry erupted from the ensemble flock of the congregation, the villagers crying out in unison, as if trying to imitate a maddening version of a Gregorian chant. Captain Qadira, alone near the front of the congregation, seemed to be recovering, looking back at her band of mercenaries, warriors and compatriots alike. Rubbing her forehead, her face was a mixture of emotions, though above all else she glared with confidence. As if her eyes spoke of never giving into to this strange cult.

"How about I tell you where it is after my sermon, yes?"

@Jeremi @Kaykay @Yun Lee @Takumi @Atomyk @Verite @Archmage Jeremiah @LuckycoolHawk9

image.png

"The power of malevolence...?!" Shirou questioned, eyeing the man who identified himself as Aurora carefully. He could only assume that this dark aura he felt was also this so-called malevolence, in turn presumably the name given for the dark magecraft in the air. The rules were different here, and Shirou certainly felt like an outsider. An unintentionally invading force to a dark place that he had no reason to be in, but he was here regardless.

He felt great distaste at being called this man's "child" as well. More memories of the past that had shaped him into who he was today flooded his mind, causing the young man to clench his fist tightly.

"I already have a father... And he was a true hero. A champion of justice. Not like you and your delusions, villain," Shirou spoke, before the man proceeded to display knowledge of their objective here; the chest of the captain's uncle. Aurora was obviously plotting something, that much had to be obvious from Shirou's point of view, and he wasn't going to be around to let that happen, hopefully.

"The chest?! What... What do you know about it?!"

@Krieg @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi @Atomyk @Kaykay @LuckycoolHawk9 @Yun Lee

Jasmine would join both Fandral and Ashley in playing the board game, giving and amused smile at the cover of the game itself. What an interesting thing it was.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Gands @thatguyinthestore

--------------

Clare remained calm, but tense, ready to pounce like a lioness if needed. For now though, she kept an eye on Qadira, before Aurora spoke to them of the chest.

"Father Aurora, I have but one simple question...something had been watching us before we came here. Does it have anything to do with you, or the malevolence of this place?" silver eyes glanced up to the red cloaked being. She couldn't help but wonder though, if he would really tell them where the chest was or use it as a trap?

@Krieg @Yun Lee @Verite @thatguyinthestore @Kaykay @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Atomyk

First of the Seed, once mighty and woe
Now lays banquets of buzzards and crows
A Tempted struck by the blackest course
An Executioner slain by the darkest force
So the Seed goes...

Second of the Seed, promising yet weak
Doomed to shift through sand and salt
Our future chasing mirages, Paradise bleak
Our spiraling descent downwards our fault
So the Seed ends...

Siblings chase dead gods
So the Seed reborn...

Old One, Master, Majesty
Can you say his name?

The hymn would be the only thought in Ingrid's mind, replaying over and over, until Father Aurora stopped combing it. Oh, he was a tricky one, all right! Ingrid would need to keep an eye on this rascal...while she tried to figure out this hymn, of course. Already committing it to memory, Ingrid combined the papers together, holding it out in an attempt to covertly pass it off to whoever in their group saw it. This item was far too significant to be only known by her.

@Krieg @Jeremi @Kaykay @Yun Lee @Takumi @Atomyk @Verite @Archmage Jeremiah @LuckycoolHawk9

463552u.png

"Um." The girl flinched a bit at the man's raised voice. She tilted her head to the side in confusion. "... Can you hear me?" She raised her hands and cupped them around her mouth.

"I'm looking for the commander too! I'm from the Coalition! I..." She looked around herself. "... I don't have any coffee or donuts! Do you want to find some?!"

@dalecOoOoOoOoOper

Gordon gives back a confused look, laughing a little as she cups her mouth. ".. Wha?.." He says silently to himself "Yes, I'm looking for the commander! My name is Cole, Gordon Cole! And yes miss, I'd love of a cup of covfefe coffee! Dark as midnight!... Also it'd be nice if you could make me an appointment with the commander!" No, there was no real way to get through at the moment to Gordon.​

463552u.png

"Um." The girl flinched a bit at the man's raised voice. She tilted her head to the side in confusion. "... Can you hear me?" She raised her hands and cupped them around her mouth.

"I'm looking for the commander too! I'm from the Coalition! I..." She looked around herself. "... I don't have any coffee or donuts! Do you want to find some?!"
Toko.png

"Urrrghhh... Shut up! What is with all the racket?!"

As Komaru raised her voice in order to communicate with Cole, her dear friend Toko Fukawa came out of the woodwork to gracefully join her as well.

Toko0.png

"Of course there aren't any donuts around! E-Everyone here probably thinks I'm fat enough as it is anyway. I see the way you smugly look at me, Omaru..." Toko muttered, "So where'd this guy come from? Is he looking for... like, Gaius? 'Cause who knows where he's off to? For all I know, he could be asking f-for Kyoko or Makoto, but... probably not."

@Atomyk @dalecOoOoOoOoOper

Toko.png

"Urrrghhh... Shut up! What is with all the racket?!"

As Komaru raised her voice in order to communicate with Cole, her dear friend Toko Fukawa came out of the woodwork to gracefully join her as well.

Toko0.png

"Of course there aren't any donuts around! E-Everyone here probably thinks I'm fat enough as it is anyway. I see the way you smugly look at me, Omaru..." Toko muttered, "So where'd this guy come from? Is he looking for... like, Gaius? 'Cause who knows where he's off to? For all I know, he could be asking f-for Kyoko or Makoto, but... probably not."

@Atomyk @dalecOoOoOoOoOper
Gordon recoils his head around slightly, surprised slightly by the sudden tone of an additional tone of voice.

gordon-cole-hearing-aid-twin-peaks-290x290.jpg

"Excuse me ma'am, my name is Regional Bureau Chief Cole! Gordon Cole! I'm looking for the commander and this beautiful, young, lady is assisting me in locating him!.." Pause. As if he was having a brain fart moment but then he spoke loudly again in the moment of silence, possibly startling the two women "And Donuts! Coffee and donuts, that'd make a great treat for me while I wait! Are you looking for the Commander too? You can help us find the coffee and donuts!" He smiled widely and extended his hand toward her - In reality waiting for whichever to shake first.

@Atomyk @Verite

Nathan Drake

Nathan looked over at the paper and read it. Well, that didn't seem to be good to him. He couldn't make any sense on what it said, but it was certainly frightening. What could it be? He was quiet and decided to pull out of his journal and wrote down the hymn in it. Perhaps it would make sense later.

@Krieg @Jeremi @Kaykay @Yun Lee @Takumi @Atomyk @Verite @Archmage Jeremiah

"Your Father is also dead, child." Father Aurora said bluntly to Shirou, his arms extended out, the moaning of villagers in response to such movements. "Everything decays in time child, kings, carpenters, villains and heroes. Malevolence is eternal, it is the key to Dawn. Do not deny it, do not resist it...you have the potential to be so much greater, all of you." the priest spoke, some of the villagers crying out the name of Dawn. Madden yet with purpose, they convulsed in their bleachers, filled with a power beyond their comprehension.

In the brief ensure of chaos, Captain Qadira quickly scrambled to her feet. Pulling out a stone dirk in her hand, she stood fully in front of Ingrid and a few of the other members. Bloodied yet fierce, the nomad barked to the priest, her tough voice echoing the chapel. "Where is the chest?! How do you know about it?!" she proclaimed, regaining her senses once more.

"Such material wealth is fleeting and barren, it holds no concern to Dawn. However, it does...enhance our sermons. You will find that what you seek is not in the sky but deep in the ground." Father Aurora cryptically spoke, kneeling down to press his hand against the wooden floorboards. Knocking against the wood, an unsettling echoing sound would return the knock. Taking a few seconds to dawn upon the group, Captain Qadira shuddered, looking around at her warband before gazing at the arising priest.

"S-Some of the floor is hollow!" she proclaimed, gazing down beneath her. "It is, it is a wonder your compatriot did not go tumbling to her death. I suppose there is one advantage to being a small and frail child." Father Aurora continued, making note of a certain girl's bravado entrance. Looking before a knightly woman who asked him a question, the Father responded, making a gesture of his hands as if in respect of the champion.

"Prophets of Dawn see all. The Malevolence connects us and our servants in ways that has not been seen since the First Seed. We are superior, we are enlightened and we come not in aggression...but to see the world in the glory of Dawn. I may not be able to make you my children."

"But do not attempt to strike your Father, lest you feel the wrath of Dawn."

@Yun Lee @Verite @thatguyinthestore @Kaykay @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Atomyk @Takumi

Nathan Drake

Nathan didn't like the way this was going. He looked at the bottle of deadly acids and then back at the hollow floor. He had a plan. " Everybody, stand as far away from those hollow floorboards as possible," he said to them. As he waited for them to follow his directions, he raced through the possibilities. Whenever everybody had moved far enough from the site, he would throw the bottle of deadly acids at the floor.

@Krieg @Yun Lee @Verite @thatguyinthestore @Kaykay @Jeremi @Atomyk @Takumi

"Your Father is also dead, child." Father Aurora said bluntly to Shirou, his arms extended out, the moaning of villagers in response to such movements. "Everything decays in time child, kings, carpenters, villains and heroes. Malevolence is eternal, it is the key to Dawn. Do not deny it, do not resist it...you have the potential to be so much greater, all of you." the priest spoke, some of the villagers crying out the name of Dawn. Madden yet with purpose, they convulsed in their bleachers, filled with a power beyond their comprehension.

In the brief ensure of chaos, Captain Qadira quickly scrambled to her feet. Pulling out a stone dirk in her hand, she stood fully in front of Ingrid and a few of the other members. Bloodied yet fierce, the nomad barked to the priest, her tough voice echoing the chapel. "Where is the chest?! How do you know about it?!" she proclaimed, regaining her senses once more.

"Such material wealth is fleeting and barren, it holds no concern to Dawn. However, it does...enhance our sermons. You will find that what you seek is not in the sky but deep in the ground." Father Aurora cryptically spoke, kneeling down to press his hand against the wooden floorboards. Knocking against the wood, an unsettling echoing sound would return the knock. Taking a few seconds to dawn upon the group, Captain Qadira shuddered, looking around at her warband before gazing at the arising priest.

"S-Some of the floor is hollow!" she proclaimed, gazing down beneath her. "It is, it is a wonder your compatriot did not go tumbling to her death. I suppose there is one advantage to being a small and frail child." Father Aurora continued, making note of a certain girl's bravado entrance. Looking before a knightly woman who asked him a question, the Father responded, making a gesture of his hands as if in respect of the champion.

"Prophets of Dawn see all. The Malevolence connects us and our servants in ways that has not been seen since the First Seed. We are superior, we are enlightened and we come not in aggression...but to see the world in the glory of Dawn. I may not be able to make you my children."

image.png

"..."

Shirou could only let out a small growl, almost comparable to an animal, when Aurora made mention of his so-called father's death. He didn't bother to question how he knew, seeing it as a redundant gesture, and not even he could deny at this point that this Malevolence force provided some measure of great power to those who gave themselves up to it. But in the young man's point of view, "Father" Aurora had closed his mind to one possibility.

Just one.

"That's where I think you're wrong. For every force, there is something that opposes it that mirrors everything about it. For every eternal yin, an eternal yang. And if Malevolence is as eternal as you say, then consider this," he spoke, pausing almost for dramatic effect, before defiantly pointing his finger at the red-cloaked man, "Then the power of benevolence is just as eternal. If your power is fueled by the corrupt thoughts and desires of man, then I'll take you head on without any hesitation, with only the purest of intentions by my side."

Shirou reminisced of how one-track minded many people saw him. How his efforts were overly quixotic, needlessly intrepid. After all, a hero could not thrive as he wanted to without a villain to face. But now, here he was, traversing through different worlds, facing off against different villains.

There was a time when he would have willingly become such a world's evil for _ _ _ _'s sake, but in this case, without her existence being put at stake, he was free to be the selfless hero she wanted him to be. And he'd be sure to live up to her expectations.

latest

As Nate threw the acids to the ground in hopes of dissipating the hollow grounds below, Shirou's arms glowed a shade of green as he prepared to channel magical energy in the event of a battle breaking out, despite Qadira's protests.

"So tell me, Father Aurora, king of Dawn, do you have enough malevolence in stock?"

@Krieg @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomyk @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi

@Yun Lee @Verite @thatguyinthestore @Kaykay @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Atomyk @Takumi

"Ahaha..."

Yuuna sheepishly rubbed the back of her head. Either she'd lucked out with the floor or she was just seriously that light. She had to admit, she'd been a bit hasty in her want to help Qadira. But even if she'd somehow known the chapel had a weird organic feel to it and that the floor was partially hollow, she'd have done the same thing.

As the Father continued speaking, Yuuna wore a soft expression and began to speak herself.

"Everything decays with time, but that's what makes it nice, isn't it? A flower's bloom is beautiful because it only lasts for a little while. And uh, I guess among you guys I'm not real old either, but it's the same with a cute baby isn't it? They're only gonna be all innocent and stuff for a little while."

She stepped away as Nathan sought to dump acid on the ground before continuing.

"I don't really wanna hit you, Father. But if your world of Dawn is going to be all about Malevolence, I can't accept you spreading it to others. We don't wanna get rowdy either Father, so let's just talk it out, or..."

Her fist clenched around her Tekko, her knees bending like a sprinter preparing to dash. She didn't like to fight with or hurt humans, but it was also unacceptable to allow this "Malevolence" to corrupt any more minds. So what if it was eternal? That didn't make it worth any more than the lives of those that would decay in time. Even if the wrath of Dawn proved to be something they couldn't handle, even if Qadira didn't want them to fight, and even if the Father would not listen to their words.

Yuuna would still do the same thing and fight his Malevolence.

@Krieg @LuckycoolHawk9 @Verite @Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomyk @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi

Nathan Drake

Nathan didn't like the way this was going. He looked at the bottle of deadly acids and then back at the hollow floor. He had a plan. " Everybody, stand as far away from those hollow floorboards as possible," he said to them. As he waited for them to follow his directions, he raced through the possibilities. Whenever everybody had moved far enough from the site, he would throw the bottle of deadly acids at the floor.

@Krieg @Yun Lee @Verite @thatguyinthestore @Kaykay @Jeremi @Atomyk @Takumi

image.png

"..."

Shirou could only let out a small growl, almost comparable to an animal, when Aurora made mention of his so-called father's death. He didn't bother to question how he knew, seeing it as a redundant gesture, and not even he could deny at this point that this Malevolence force provided some measure of great power to those who gave themselves up to it. But in the young man's point of view, "Father" Aurora had closed his mind to one possibility.

Just one.

"That's where I think you're wrong. For every force, there is something that opposes it that mirrors everything about it. For every eternal yin, an eternal yang. And if Malevolence is as eternal as you say, then consider this," he spoke, pausing almost for dramatic effect, before defiantly pointing his finger at the red-cloaked man, "Then the power of benevolence is just as eternal. If your power is fueled by the corrupt thoughts and desires of man, then I'll take you head on without any hesitation, with only the purest of intentions by my side."

Shirou reminisced of how one-track minded many people saw him. How his efforts were overly quixotic, needlessly intrepid. After all, a hero could not thrive as he wanted to without a villain to face. But now, here he was, traversing through different worlds, facing off against different villains.

There was a time when he would have willingly become such a world's evil for _ _ _ _'s sake, but in this case, without her existence being put at stake, he was free to be the selfless hero she wanted him to be. And he'd be sure to live up to her expectations.

latest

As Nate threw the acids to the ground in hopes of dissipating the hollow grounds below, Shirou's arms glowed a shade of green as he prepared to channel magical energy in the event of a battle breaking out, despite Qadira's protests.

"So tell me, Father Aurora, king of Dawn, do you have enough malevolence in stock?"

@Krieg @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomyk @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi

"Ahaha..."

Yuuna sheepishly rubbed the back of her head. Either she'd lucked out with the floor or she was just seriously that light. She had to admit, she'd been a bit hasty in her want to help Qadira. But even if she'd somehow known the chapel had a weird organic feel to it and that the floor was partially hollow, she'd have done the same thing.

As the Father continued speaking, Yuuna wore a soft expression and began to speak herself.

"Everything decays with time, but that's what makes it nice, isn't it? A flower's bloom is beautiful because it only lasts for a little while. And uh, I guess among you guys I'm not real old either, but it's the same with a cute baby isn't it? They're only gonna be all innocent and stuff for a little while."

She stepped away as Nathan sought to dump acid on the ground before continuing.

"I don't really wanna hit you, Father. But if your world of Dawn is going to be all about Malevolence, I can't accept you spreading it to others. We don't wanna get rowdy either Father, so let's just talk it out, or..."

Her fist clenched around her Tekko, her knees bending like a sprinter preparing to dash. She didn't like to fight with or hurt humans, but it was also unacceptable to allow this "Malevolence" to corrupt any more minds. So what if it was eternal? That didn't make it worth any more than the lives of those that would decay in time. Even if the wrath of Dawn proved to be something they couldn't handle, even if Qadira didn't want them to fight, and even if the Father would not listen to their words.

Yuuna would still do the same thing and fight his Malevolence.

@Krieg @LuckycoolHawk9 @Verite @Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomyk @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi
And there it was. Ingrid couldn't help but laugh, standing on her pew to prepare for whatever lay below the floorboards. "Really, Aurora? An evil religious cult? I expected more from you. Who do you think you are, the Illuminati? And yes, all you conspiracy theorists out there-it does exist, it is evil, it uses the guise of a peaceful religion to get its way, and it's going to be up to some shenanigans in the near future, but that's not the point." She tossed her hair over her shoulder, all that she was saying sounding topical, as if she was merely discussing the weather.
CjmxM2_UgAESMEK.jpg

"Shirou and Yuuna already made excellent points as to why you're going to fail. Manevolence may have won in Silent Hill, but you and I both know that statistics are on the side of benevolence-the side we are all on, and frankly, you're rather outbumbered in terms of sane members of your group. Oh yes, dear Aurora, you may have succeeded in bringing the poor people of Piper's Landing to lunacy, but you won't get any further than that. And for your sake, I hope you have something up your sleeve-your punishment will be worse if you bore me." She could taunt much more, but she wanted to put the ball in Aurora's court. Maybe he was one of those bantering villains, those were always fun!

@Krieg @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @Archmage Jeremiah @Verite @Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomyk @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi

"A king? You humble me with your falsehood. We are all servants to Dawn, I am but a lowly shepherd."

The pots of arcane acid that Nathan tossed onto the wooden boards began to spread and fan out, oak crumbling underneath this alien substance. As the acid spread, more and more of the wood fell apart, much of the Congregation beginning to leave upon a wave of Father Aurora's hand. From the thick mist of smoke that emerged from the burning cinder, ladders and lanterns descended further and further into the earth, looking very akin to a vertical mineshaft. A small portion of the chapel now remained upstanding, but a dangerous gap now could serve as a getaway if needed.

"How can you fight what you do not understand, then, my children? Do you know what the glory of Dawn is?" Aurora spoke calmly, as if amused, clad in velvet robes and hovering before the group. "I have peered into the stars and dust of the cosmos, I know what benevolence will wrought you. An eternity in darkness, forever shifting through an abyss, fleeting like a breeze." Aurora continued, a hint of anger in his voice.

"Father knows best, Malevolence is the key to achieving unification with Dawn. If you desecrate my chapel, well then..."

Father Aurora lifted up his hand, the cobblestone walls beginning to shake and tremble. It looked as if the Father himself had control over this whole structure.

"You may b-!"

The exclamation was cut short, Captain Qadira flinging a stone knife from her belt towards the holiness. Striking him on the chest, he recoiled back, the native nomad leaping over the newly made gap and grabbing at one of the many ladders that descended into the unknown. Looking back at the group, swinging with one hand, the niece gave a toothy, unsure grin. A shimmer of bravery...or stupidity. Father Aurora, meanwhile, appeared distracted, the phantom wraith trying to pull a stone dirk out of his chest.

"W'ell...what, ah, other options we have, yes? Crazies or a priest, h-huh?"

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @Archmage Jeremiah @Verite @Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomyk @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi

"A king? You humble me with your falsehood. We are all servants to Dawn, I am but a lowly shepherd."

The pots of arcane acid that Nathan tossed onto the wooden boards began to spread and fan out, oak crumbling underneath this alien substance. As the acid spread, more and more of the wood fell apart, much of the Congregation beginning to leave upon a wave of Father Aurora's hand. From the thick mist of smoke that emerged from the burning cinder, ladders and lanterns descended further and further into the earth, looking very akin to a vertical mineshaft. A small portion of the chapel now remained upstanding, but a dangerous gap now could serve as a getaway if needed.

"How can you fight what you do not understand, then, my children? Do you know what the glory of Dawn is?" Aurora spoke calmly, as if amused, clad in velvet robes and hovering before the group. "I have peered into the stars and dust of the cosmos, I know what benevolence will wrought you. An eternity in darkness, forever shifting through an abyss, fleeting like a breeze." Aurora continued, a hint of anger in his voice.

"Father knows best, Malevolence is the key to achieving unification with Dawn. If you desecrate my chapel, well then..."

Father Aurora lifted up his hand, the cobblestone walls beginning to shake and tremble. It looked as if the Father himself had control over this whole structure.

"You may b-!"

The exclamation was cut short, Captain Qadira flinging a stone knife from her belt towards the holiness. Striking him on the chest, he recoiled back, the native nomad leaping over the newly made gap and grabbing at one of the many ladders that descended into the unknown. Looking back at the group, swinging with one hand, the niece gave a toothy, unsure grin. A shimmer of bravery...or stupidity. Father Aurora, meanwhile, appeared distracted, the phantom wraith trying to pull a stone dirk out of his chest.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @Archmage Jeremiah @Verite @Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomyk @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi

Death's Head had quite enough of this and the Captain attacking the Father was met with with much jubilation. "Only feeling annoyance. Perhaps guess why, yes?" Pulling the trigger he'd open fire towards Father Aurora. "Bless us by dying, yes?"

Sorey had been thrown into a period of silent contemplation. The malevolence here was thick and all-consuming, so terrible that it clogged at Sorey's senses. He felt cut off from the world, submerged in a thick fog that made it hard for him to concentrate. It was the price he paid so that he could face malevolence in the worlds outside his own, for an ability to purify, came with it a sensitivity to the dark energies that others just wouldn't understand.

"Sorey," said Mikleo, drawing Sorey back to the here and now. "Stop gawking."

Right.

Sorey shook his head and eyed the priest before them. "I understand... I understand the power you see in malevolence. It's natural and born of humans, after all. It is our weakness and sin taken form. Where there is fear, anger, suffering, and injustice, there is malevolence. It seems a normal conclusion for one hurt beyond words to make use of it... to combat their fear in the only way they know how. So..."

In one quick motion, Sorey removed his blade from its sheath.

0zWV6n4.gif

"I will not judge you. Maybe you don't know any better. Maybe you think what you're doing is right. Whatever the case, I'm sorry, but it can't be allowed to continue. This world has suffered enough already!" Sorey turned his head to look at the newly opened mineshaft. "For those of you who wish to leave, please leave this to us! Besides, she will need an escort!"

"Sorey..." Mikleo was at a loss for words after his friend was done speaking. What more was there to say on the matter? "I'm with you," he said, standing next to Sorey.

When Death's Head fired on the priest, Sorey cringed but didn't falter. The malevolence was simply too thick for any hopes of purification to be possible, and so Sorey knew what had to be done.

@Krieg @LuckycoolHawk9 @Verite @Takumi @Yun Lee @thatguyinthestore @Jeremi @Kaykay

"W-Wha...?"

The girl turned to the familiar voice of her friend, smiling slightly upon seeing the bedraggled girl. "Toko! Ah..."

V9PwtMJ.png

Komaru looked slightly embarrassed to be caught by Toko like this. "You know, I think the donuts are distracting us a little... H-Hey, wait, beautiful young lady...?" It had taken a moment for Komaru to realize what exactly Cole had said, even if he was shouting it. It was not often someone spoke about her in such a way, especially when it was an older man... Truthfully, Komaru wasn't sure what to make of that, but she at least felt flattered.

"That's... very kind of you, but, uh-- My name is Komaru Naegi! Like I said, the Commander isn't--!" Komaru stopped herself, wondering if it was even worth bothering. "You know, I don't even know where we would get coffee and donuts... the city is pretty run down. Didn't think it would be worse than Towa City, but I guess I should have known, huh? You wouldn't have any ideas for getting food, would you, Toko?"

@dalecOoOoOoOoOper @Verite

"You may b-!"

Sorey had been thrown into a period of silent contemplation. The malevolence here was thick and all-consuming, so terrible that it clogged at Sorey's senses. He felt cut off from the world, submerged in a thick fog that made it hard for him to concentrate. It was the price he paid so that he could face malevolence in the worlds outside his own, for an ability to purify, came with it a sensitivity to the dark energies that others just wouldn't understand.

"Sorey," said Mikleo, drawing Sorey back to the here and now. "Stop gawking."

Right.

Sorey shook his head and eyed the priest before them. "I understand... I understand the power you see in malevolence. It's natural and born of humans, after all. It is our weakness and sin taken form. Where there is fear, anger, suffering, and injustice, there is malevolence. It seems a normal conclusion for one hurt beyond words to make use of it... to combat their fear in the only way they know how. So..."

In one quick motion, Sorey removed his blade from its sheath.

0zWV6n4.gif

"I will not judge you. Maybe you don't know any better. Maybe you think what you're doing is right. Whatever the case, I'm sorry, but it can't be allowed to continue. This world has suffered enough already!" Sorey turned his head to look at the newly opened mineshaft. "For those of you who wish to leave, please leave this to us! Besides, she will need an escort!"

"Sorey..." Mikleo was at a loss for words after his friend was done speaking. What more was there to say on the matter? "I'm with you," he said, standing next to Sorey.

When Death's Head fired on the priest, Sorey cringed but didn't falter. The malevolence was simply too thick for any hopes of purification to be possible, and so Sorey knew what had to be done.
Trace.

Reinforcement.

Like some sort of computer or machine, Shirou's brain carefully processed every event that transpired from the moment Nate had thrown the acids into the ground to reveal what was possibly a way out, if not at the very least the location of the fabled chest as well. His brain computed every feasible scenario in his head that he could possibly think of in such a short span of time, thinking over the ideal situation. Many a people Shirou had met before had believed the young man to be a compulsory, impulsive creature, but in truth, Shirou was perhaps the most calculating person they had met.

In many senses, it was as though he were a machine.

It was simply that he thought through everything far faster than everyone else. And he had deduced a course of action that he believed was best for the given scenario at hand.

With the redheaded young man's arm continuing to glow a vibrant green, verging on teal like before, a glow that extended to his two legs as well, he nodded towards Sorey and Mikleo, who seemed intent on sticking around while the others might have wanted to make a retreat. "Ah. Well said, Sorey-san. Maybe malevolence really is the most innate thing to us as human beings. However..."

Shirou looked up, defiantly glaring at Aurora.

"It is when we deny that innate malevolence within us, and let ourselves rise to a greater power. Beyond fear, there is courage, and beyond hatred, there is love. Beyond despair, there is hope. And beyond malevolence, there is benevolence. Good will triumph over evil as always, and I won't let you stand in the way of that!"

With the physical capabilities of his limbs enhanced by his reinforcement magecraft, Shirou made his move.

Whoosh!

Leaping in the air with strengthened leg muscles, the pressure even creating a small dent in the wooden floor that he once stood upon, Shirou soared a few feet above the hole in the ground and right towards Aurora with the grace of a robin, the cry of a canary, and the raging intent of a hornet, he practically flew right at the red-cloaked man--

5Me4IsJ2R5m4_aFcHezi0g.png

SHHKT!

--and threw his fist forward with the intent of punching the dirk deeper into the man's body!

@Krieg @Atomyk @Yun Lee @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @thatguyinthestore @Takumi

Chapter 2: Of Faith and Falsehoods

Having observed the unfolding confrontation from afar long enough, Li-Ming cruised into Aurora's seat of power with her two mirror images, and cast a casual wave of force on any patron of the church unlucky enough to cross her entourage's path. The studied spellslinger pulled up short just before stepping over the lip of the gaping new hole in the floor, however.

Li-Ming cocked her head and hips to the left while her eyes rolled to the right corner of the ceiling.
"So...a backwater town home to serfs and an ominous monastery," she began,
"built atop a cavernous labyrinth within which a great and evil power was once sealed,"

"and a powerful religious figure who succumbed to that very power, and now seeks to spread its corruption by promising salvation and holy reckoning," her mirror images finished.
There was silence, followed by shrill laughter from all three wizards in perfect unison. "I know I may have jumbled up some of the details to draw parallels, but you honestly expect to succeed? How laughable!" mocked Li-Ming while her projections were still winding down, "How many angels must fall, hm? How many angels must fall, and how many times must the Lords of Hell be slain before thick-skulled dolts such as yourself learn? Neither the forces of Hell nor the forces of Heaven can compare to the sheer willpower of their sons and daughters!"

To accentuate the point, the mirror images broadly gestured around the cathedral - particularly at themselves and Qadira. "That's us, if it wasn't clear. Humans," With a practiced wave of her wand and a dainty hop, Li-Ming and her copies fell slowly to Qadira's side against the face of the pit, and each took a seat upon a different rung of one ladder, "So I don't know about you, but I say it's about time we succeeded our mothers and fathers instead of becoming pawns in their eternal marital squabble," she said with a smirk, and tossed her hair over her shoulder.

@Krieg

@Atomyk @Yun Lee @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @thatguyinthestore @Takumi @Verite

"You may b-!"

Clare stood back and watched the proceedings. Taking a step further to glance at the depths below, silver eyes turned gold and catlike as she prepared to follow the captain and others.

Trace.

Reinforcement.

Like some sort of computer or machine, Shirou's brain carefully processed every event that transpired from the moment Nate had thrown the acids into the ground to reveal what was possibly a way out, if not at the very least the location of the fabled chest as well. His brain computed every feasible scenario in his head that he could possibly think of in such a short span of time, thinking over the ideal situation. Many a people Shirou had met before had believed the young man to be a compulsory, impulsive creature, but in truth, Shirou was perhaps the most calculating person they had met.

In many senses, it was as though he were a machine.

It was simply that he thought through everything far faster than everyone else. And he had deduced a course of action that he believed was best for the given scenario at hand.

With the redheaded young man's arm continuing to glow a vibrant green, verging on teal like before, a glow that extended to his two legs as well, he nodded towards Sorey and Mikleo, who seemed intent on sticking around while the others might have wanted to make a retreat. "Ah. Well said, Sorey-san. Maybe malevolence really is the most innate thing to us as human beings. However..."

Shirou looked up, defiantly glaring at Aurora.

"It is when we deny that innate malevolence within us, and let ourselves rise to a greater power. Beyond fear, there is courage, and beyond hatred, there is love. Beyond despair, there is hope. And beyond malevolence, there is benevolence. Good will triumph over evil as always, and I won't let you stand in the way of that!"

With the physical capabilities of his limbs enhanced by his reinforcement magecraft, Shirou made his move.

Whoosh!

Leaping in the air with strengthened leg muscles, the pressure even creating a small dent in the wooden floor that he once stood upon, Shirou soared a few feet above the hole in the ground and right towards Aurora with the grace of a robin, the cry of a canary, and the raging intent of a hornet, he practically flew right at the red-cloaked man--

5Me4IsJ2R5m4_aFcHezi0g.png

SHHKT!

--and threw his fist forward with the intent of punching the dirk deeper into the man's body!

@Krieg @Atomyk @Yun Lee @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay @thatguyinthestore @Takumi

She stopped, though, as Shirou intended to attack Father Aurora. Glancing at the two for a brief moment, she make her way down into the depths below with a leap. Intending to land as softly as possible.

@Krieg @Verite @Atomyk @Yun Lee @Jeremi @LuckycoolHawk9 @thatguyinthestore @Kaykay @Archmage Jeremiah

₱ł₱ɆⱤ ₳₮ ₮ⱧɆ ₲₳₮Ɇ₴ Ø₣ Đ₳₩₦
Campaign
Chapter III
"The Forgotten Fiefdom"

"You arrogant children, you think I do this out of trivial notions of mortal morality? My more obedient offspring knows of the glory of Dawn, they have seen its glow! When the worlds you know die, when stars shine their last shimmer, only light and dark will remain. It is how everything we know was born, and by the revelations of Dawn, it is how everything we know will die."

Clutching at his chest, the wraith recoiled back from the gunshot and the dirk being plunged deeper into his ghastly form. The words of Li-Ming echoed in his ears, unsure if it was the strange woman's magic or the clamor of Death approaching the priest. Whatever the case may be, the elder pulled up his hands. Formed out of shadows and mist, they reached up at Shirou, the one bold enough to cross the gap and burrow the small object deeper into his spectral form.

Hands brushed against the individual's cheeks, like the gentle touch of a proud Father, yet the feeling of something horrid creeping in the back of the mind.

"Remember me when you see the glory of Dawn for yourself, child. When you do, remember me and all will come to light."

In that instance, Father Aurora's form began to violently convulse, the elder's voice screeching into the air. Levitating up, his form shifted and twisted, a robe of red tearing itself apart. Malformed and formed by Malevolence, the very energy that brought him power now tore him apart, a dark mist dissipating into the air. Never to leave a trace in this world, the sound of distant villagers screaming and hollering echoed, the rumbling of the church echoing around.

Soon, the stones began to fall, their substance of actual stone and not manipulated by the whims of the priest. Soon, staying on ground would be impossible, the vertical mineshaft being only the safe bet out of not being either crushed to death or mauled by villagers.

---

For those that would descend down the flights of many ladders that led to the caverns below, the sight would be both unexpected yet awe-inspiring. The descent, at least a hundred feet down, would be both precariously yet rewarding. Those that fell or jumped haphazardly would be caught by the unusually silent Qadira, the captain a woman of few words. Unusually calm as of late, the leader of the warband was one of the first to land on her feet.

Most of the mining tunnels looked caved in, but one path lead ahead. Lit by lanterns that appeared to be recently ignited, wooden barricades covered along the walls, pushing away the dirt and stone so it would hopefully, in theory, not cave in. Following down the path for a good ten minutes in mostly silence, the warband would come across a stunning sight.

jordan-grimmer-sketch1.jpg

The ceiling was uneven and rocky, stalactites looming dangerously upon. Archways fashioned out of aged stone loomed forward, marble pathways leading to the remains of some medieval fortress buried deep into the earth. A narrow, crooked passageway connected the ruins to the mining shaft. Within the chasm, an abnormal, blue aura glowed deep from below. Such a glow actually illuminated the majority of this underground cave, the light immensely bright.

Underneath the archway visible to the group, a silhouette could be seen sitting beside a raging bonfire. Abruptly, Captain Qadira, with no intentions to the rest of her group, rushed forward to the silhouette, beginning to cross the narrow, dangerous passageway.

The sound of that moaning, heard just before the chapel, could be heard more distinctly yet only in echoes, occasionally some fluted instrument playing in this atmosphere.

@Atomyk @Archmage Jeremiah @Verite @Jeremi @thatguyinthestore @Takumi @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kaykay

Status
Not open for further replies.