Online Availability
NEVER
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Douche
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Surrealism, Surreal Horror (Think Tim Burton), Steampunk, Sci-Fi Fantasy, Spaghetti Westerns, Mercenaries, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Historical fantasies

100 Years ago today, the RMS Titanic is struk by an iceburg rough 400 miles south of Newfoundland, Canada in 1912. 1500+ people will have died from drowning and the elements of a cold sea.

On 14 April 1912, four days into the crossing and about 375 miles (600 km) south of Newfoundland, she hit an iceberg at 11:40 pm (ship's time; GMT−3). The glancing collision caused Titanic's hull plates to buckle inwards in a number of locations on her starboard side and opened five of her sixteen watertight compartments to the sea. Over the next two and a half hours, the ship gradually filled with water and sank. Passengers and some crew members were evacuated in lifeboats, many of which were launched only partly filled. A disproportionate number of men – over 90% of those in Second Class – were left aboard due to a "women and children first" protocol followed by the officers loading the lifeboats. Just before 2:20 am Titanic broke up and sank bow-first with over a thousand people still on board. Those in the water died within minutes from hypothermia caused by immersion in the freezing ocean. The 710 survivors were taken aboard from the lifeboats by the RMS Carpathia a few hours later.

The disaster was greeted with worldwide shock and outrage at the huge loss of life and the regulatory and operational failures that had led to it. Public inquiries in Britain and the United States led to major improvements in maritime safety. One of their most important legacies was the establishment in 1914 of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), which still governs maritime safety today. Many of the survivors lost all of their money and possessions and were left destitute; many families, particularly those of crew members from Southampton, lost their primary bread-winners. They were helped by an outpouring of public sympathy and charitable donations. Some of the male survivors, notably the White Star Line's chairman, J. Bruce Ismay, were accused of cowardice for leaving the ship while people were still on board, and they faced social ostracism.

The wreck of the Titanic remains on the seabed, gradually disintegrating at a depth of 12,415 feet (3,784 m). Since its rediscovery in 1985, thousands of artifacts have been recovered from the sea bed and put on display at museums around the world. Titanic has become one of the most famous ships in history, her memory kept alive by numerous books, folk songs, films, exhibits and memorials.

A few days ago there were an article about titanic in the news papers here in Sweden, it said that when people had heard about the 100 years jubilee (don't know if that's the right word to use here) then a lot of young people had written on twitter and such that they thought titanic had just been a movie and they hadn't known that it had actually happened. o.O
I though everyone knew that it had happened >_< Young people *shakes head disappointed*

It was a tragic accident for sure:( But while the movie was great, one of my favourites in fact, it is shocking that people actually believe it was just a movie and did not happen for real. Young people indeed-_-
But my mother actually found this six video documentary on youtube that was very interesting to watch about Titanic and a possible fraud where White Star Line supposedly switched Titanic with Olympic and intended the ship to sink to recieve 12.5 million in insurance money. While it is very well made and I am not surpriced about people doing insane things for money I'm not entirely convinced but as said it is an interesting idea.

The theory about the Titanic being designed to sink is an conspiracy theory. The Olympic's fate was much different, for it was used a naval transport ship in WW1. Robin Gardiner also believes that the ship struck another boat and not an iceburg. There are too many loose ends and more complex twists in his theories that can be easily explained away.

I read a book in high school one time for my English class and it was about the survivors telling what happened that night. It was pretty intense and really sad as well, but it was really interesting to read about what they felt and saw, if they had made that book into a movie as well I think it would be a very interesting movie to watch, but sadly I can't remember the name of the book :(

Yeah I know it's a conspiracy, though an interesting one, the main point here was that the Olypics damage were too great to keep her afloat for so many more years as well as some other points. Of course as long as much money is involved people are more inclined to scream cover up and conspiracy, I'm not a theorist but I find it interesting to see what people come up with, especially when they do their research. Of course real documentaries about the Titanic, especially the man discovering Titanic in 1985.