Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
  6. No Preferences
Genres
Adventure. Angels and demons. Apocalyptic. Arthurian. Comedy. Dystopian. Fantasy. Historical. Horror. Post-apocalyptic. Romance. Science fiction. Supernatural.
What are some quotes you like? Do you have a favourite? Is there one that has been most motivational for you? Why does this quote (or quotes) resonate with you?

• Love
Reactions: iridescent
STOP MAKING THREADS THAT MAKE ME OBSESSED!!! But I have posted my favorite quote below. I adore quotes so much, so this probably won't be my only post here 😂

❝There is no rule on how to write. Sometimes it comes easily and perfectly: sometimes it's like drilling rock and then blasting it out with charges.❞ ___​ Ernest Hemingway

• Love
Reactions: Dusk and Nemopedia
"the things you hold dear, your friends, your family, your beloved ones....are the ones who hurt you the most. you'll have to deal with that." Unknown, from an obscure little movie about Death Grips on YouTube.

It's the only 'quote' that comes to mind, I have no idea who wrote it or the DG movie (my guess is Stefan Burnett, lead singer of DG) but its moved me to this day thinking about it and is pretty insane in movie context. It's pretty vague, which I also like because it lets the imagination fill in the blanks. Its helped me reflect on and accept some things in life.

Reactions: Dusk
I collect quotes that I like or somehow inspire me and write them down for future reference, either for rainy days or because I just want to turn it into a story one day. I have a notebook with quotes that I like and the first three quotes in there are:

"The capacity to love cannot be built on isolation." Bruce D. Percy

"If you end up loving someone, it is because of them. If you end up hating someone, it is because of you." Vincent van Gogh (translated)

"Work when focused, read when puzzled, think when you're lonely and sleep when sad." Unknown

Reactions: marcy and Dusk
Friedrich Nietzsche - Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. <This is mine.

One of my favorite writing-related quotes for years has been:

"Nothing ever ends poetically. It ends and we turn it into poetry. All that blood was never once beautiful. It was just red." ― Kait Rokowski

I'm also a fan of many Ursula K. Le Guin quotes, including:

"The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist; a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain."

• Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dusk and marcy
I'm less about quotes that are like super inspirational or moving, preferring ones that are meant to be around laughter. Cause this life is worth a laugh!

"The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age." Lucille Ball

"Happiness is having a large, caring, close-knit family in another city." George Burns

• Haha
Reactions: Dusk and jarek56
"this is for the players in the players club playing plays with players" — joe iaco 🤞

but actually, i like the phrase "Saepe ne utile quidem est scire quid futurum sit" or "Often, it is not advantageous to know what will be." which is basically like saying "maybe the real journey was the friends w made along the way" in ancient rome.​

• Haha
Does a whole poem count?
"I wish I wrote the way I thought;
Obsessively,
Incessantly,
With maddening hunger.
I'd write to the point of suffocation.
I'd write myself into
nervous breakdowns,
Manuscripts spiraling out
like tentacles into abysmal
Nothing.
And I'd write about you,
a lot more than I should." - Benedict Smith, I wish I wrote the way I thought.

Other quotes I love though, are:
"He who climbs the ladder must begin at the bottom." – Ittetsu Takeda

"Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." - Henry James

"You are nothing special at all, and that is why you are able to become something truly remarkable." - Can't remember who wrote this, but I am sure it's from Deadman Wonderland.

1) "No doubts, no regrets, don't look back unless you plan to head in that direction" -> Yeah, I'm reluctant to say where this one if from :3

2) "The enemy of my enemy is the enemy I kill last" -> I want to say it was some Kingon in some StarTrek media.. but I can't be sure :3

3) "Du willst mich zum Schweigen bringen? Mein Mund ist zu groß fürn Knebel" (roughly translated: "You want to silence me? My mouth is to big for a gag") -> German HipHop lyrics

4) "Merkst Du, du hast den Kopf im Sand. Dann zieh ihn raus... und mit dem Kopf durch die Wand!" (roughly translated: "Do you notice having your head in the ground... then pull it out and through the wall!") -> German HipHop lyrics

Found one that hit pretty close to home.

"We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones." - Stephen King

Is that why I love making all my characters suffer? ;-; well........so far it's working out.

Reactions: PaulaVonMalotki
"You are who you choose to be." - The Iron Giant.

• Love
Reactions: marcy
Here are some quotes from my favorite books:

"There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution." - Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe." - Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

"Why does that obstinate little voice in our heads torment us so? Could it be because it reminds us that we are our alive, of our mortality, of our individual souls--which, after all, we are too afraid to surrender but yet make us feel more miserable than any other thing? It is a terrible thing to learn as a child that one is a being separate from the world, that no one and nothing hurts along with one's burned tongues and skinned knees, that one's aches and pains are all one's own. Even more terrible, as we grow older, to learn that no person, no matter how beloved, can ever truly understand us. Our own selves make us most unhappy, and that's why we're so anxious to lose them, don't you think?" Donna Tartt, The Secret History

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. When the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I remain." - Frank Herbert, Dune

"Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Last edited:
Reactions: marcy