Quiet Country People

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry greeted the new arrivals with a polite bow of his head and a smile. When he was asked for a story he began the tale of Daniel. He had just finished the part about the lions' den when the butterflies started appearing. He watched them warily, having learned by this point what superstitions surrounded the creature in this part of the country, and having started to take on some of the local's more cautions habits. He made no effort to stop Piper when she squashed one, through he noted with surprise that her foot was bare.

"If Gy breaks it, Dr. Colridge will surely know... But I don't know how to undo a lock without a key,"

"Absolutely not!" Henry reprimanded. "I might remind you Miss. Eliza, that this is Dr. Colridge's house not your own, and whatever secrets he chooses to keep are between him and God. If you ask, and he chooses to show you, what lies on the other side of the door, that is one thing. But opening a locked door in another man's house is typically considered the work of robbers. I'd hate for there to be any misunderstandings."

• Love
Reactions: Midian
Everything seemed to be moving very strangely. Why was Leanne crying like that? Why was there suddenly a maid? Butterflies? And that pen, with those blue fingers.... What a beautiful pen.... Everything was odd! Everything, along with Gy. What a strange fellow. He looked as if he could be a beast, or maybe the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood. Archie watched him closely. He didn't seem to trust that fellow all that much. Maybe he was just tired of hearing everything. Maybe he was homesick. Maybe he was going to be sick.

Yeah, that was it.

He was going to throw up. Possibly because he saw the young child stomp on a bug, and he could swear he heard a small scream. Or maybe because someone as beautiful as Leanne Kingsley should never cry like that. Or maybe it was that pen. Oh, now he wanted to draw and write with that pen. Beautiful fjords, coastlines, buildings! Oh, if the parson heard him...He turned green, and wrapped a long arm around his stomach.

"Ah...Excuse me, if you'd all be so kind. I need to loo-look for a..... a, uh, a bathroom. " Archibald stood up, and walked towards the hall. But soon, he passed the door, and the pen. No one would see this... It would be fast. Quick! He kicked the pen lightly, until he reached the bathroom. He picked the pen up, inspected it with wonder, and shoved it into his waist coat.

-------------------------------------

Callahan decided that the butterflies were bad. Very bad. He picked one of them up, and watched it flutter about in his hand. But, how curiously it seemed to be drawn to the Stonewall child. He shifted his eyes towards the child, and slipped the bug into a pocket of his. Sure, it would die, but he needed to share it with Hart.

Eliza huffed and sighed at Mr. Weston's reprimand; she had so been enjoying the story of Daniel that she'd rested her elbows on her knees and her chin in her hands. Now the mystery of the pen and the butterflies was far more intriguing, especially given how Archie had coveted the pen and run off with it like a dog with a prized bone. Pipa's reaction to the butterfly had certainly been unexpected. What did she mean by calling them such awful things? Certainly they were a bit straggly, but could they really be such poor omens? They were butterflies, and such a lovely shade of blue. The insides of Callahan's pockets were going to be very blue, she decided, but turned back to the door.
"If these butterflies are really such bad things and they're hiding in Dr. Colridge's house, are we not doing him a favor by looking into the problem? He would probably have another fit given how much we know he hates nature. I think we are doing him a favor, Mr. Weston, could you imagine if he found these butterflies in his house?"

As Bibi went to work on the lock Eliza drifted over to Leanne and Allen. Why on earth was Leanne crying? Eliza sat down by the twins and awkwardly patted her knee.
"Leanne...? What is the matter, sister? Why all the crying, we're having an adventure," Eliza said, trying to cheer her up.
"Isn't it better than being stuck at home all day?"

Eliza sighed and offered Leanne her handkerchief just before the lock on the door clicked and the large doors slowly creaked open. They found themselves faced with a large, sorely neglected parlor. There were leaves in various shades of blazing oranges, yellows, and reds everywhere like littered jewels and the whole room was coasted in layers of brownish-grey dust. There were dolls everywhere too, some crude, some obviously beautiful and expensive, but all of them had black hair and blue eyes. Upon closer inspection, one of them was teeming with dormant blue butterflies.
"Oh, that is just... repulsive," Eliza murmured, looking into the doll. Suddenly the whole flock came shooting out at once, causing her to stumble away and try to shield her face. Under their onslaught Callahan heard a rising whisper he'd often heard around Hart's cottage, the strange voice of the forest that could be heard in silence. Eliza collapsed, her mouth stained faintly blue by their wings and her hair fanned out on the marble. The butterflies lit all over her body and were difficult to shoo away, seemingly unafraid of human hands.

Near the back of the room there was a crash and a scroll unfolded, showing a curious collection of numbered dots arranged in a pattern. Under it was written "Mother" and two of the dots were connected with a single line of ink.

In the bathroom, Archie felt the sudden, inexplicable urge that he was needed. When he completed the drawing, it made the outline of a large butterfly that all of the small butterflies flocked to and lit on, creating a large facsimile of themseslves.

Archie oggled at the picture, and he looked back at the pen. He was never one to simply draw a butterfly with no rhyme or reason! But perhaps... It wasn't him that had no rhyme or reason. He looked over to the pen. Perhaps it had been cursed? Well, what a lame curse it was, to simply draw insects.

But....

Archie's train of thought was lost when he felt something. Something odd. Well, he usually never got those sort of feelings. He usually did when he felt his father had left for into the woods, but it wasn't the right time of the month. Archie slipped the pen into his waist coat, and slipped his notepad into a pocket of his. He exited the bathroom carefully, but in the end, he wished he was quicker about it.

------------------------------------------

Callahan had no idea what had happened in the moments when the door opened and the butterflies flew out. All he knew was that they did NOT like the sickly girl, and Callahan wasn't going to be held responsible for her early funeral. Callahan quickly grabbed his coat off of his shoulders, and tried as he might to shoo them away. It worked some, they fled from her face and neck, but they were still pelting the young girl's body. How much damage could those damn things do!?

Callahan quickly got onto his knees, and covered the girl's face with his coat. Albeit, it wasn't all that much of a difference, but as long as they weren't shooting down her gullet, she would live. Sure, she might have to reapply her mascara, but she would live.

Callahan let the coat loosely drape over her head, and he began shooing the rest out with the others.

But it wasn't just the butterflies that were bugging him. It was the whispers. The damned whispers! He cupped his hands over his ears a few times, but he still heard them. What did Hart say, again? It bites? Oh, damn that Hart! Damn her to hell, along with the whispers!

------------------------------------------

What was with all of the damn bugs today, thought Archie to himself. It was quite a spectacle, you see. A dirty man flaunting a dirty coat, a young women and a twin both shooing and perpetually sharing in each other's agony, a dirty teenagers who was half dumb-stricken, half scared-shitless, and a pastor who was making a cross over his chest and speaking in very mumbled Latin.

But then, Archie had a brilliantly stupid idea. The pen, the drawing... It all made sense! He quickly looked around the room. He needed a large place to work on. Oh, blast it! There was no papers to be found!

He looked wildly, but he soon found a parcel that seemed of great importance. Mother... Mother. He faintly thought of his own. But, no! This was of no ghosts doing!

Or was it?

Well, if it was, or if it wasn't, now certainly wasn't the time to be thinking such things! But mother... 'Mother'. Mother...lord? Mother-Lord? Oh, yes! Of course! The Mother-Lord of the butterflies! Surely, it was a dumb plan made quickly, but he had to try something.

Archibald pulled out the pen, and ran to the scroll. He pulled it out of his coat pocket, and went work instantly. As soon as he was done, the lines were all connected, and the scroll was ready to be put to use.

Archie presented himself in front of the room, held the paper out in front of him, and closed his eyes shut. He could slowly feel the butterflies hitting themselves against the paper.

First one...
Then three...
Seven...
Fifteen...
Twenty-nine...
Forty-two...

Soon, the paper became how hard to hold, it knocked him off of his balance. The butterflies never seemed to stop!

Last edited:
When Henry saw the state of the room, and the dolls that filled it, the first words out of his mouth were, "Father above preserve us!" It was meant as a prayer not a curse.

And the then butterflies came.

Pouring out of the doll,

Streaming towards Eliza,

Causing her to stumble.

Henry's first response was to put himself between the source of the bugs and the others as Callahan shielded the girl from them with his coat. The furious force the insects displayed was frightening and with sudden comprehension he understood why the stories existed. They pelted against his chest in a series of tiny thuds before figuring out to go around. That display of intelligence frightened him and he turned then to use his hands to attempt to shoo the bugs away from the girl. More pelted against his back and streamed over his shoulders as they aimed themselves at her. It wasn't until Archie appeared and finished the drawing that the butterflies left them alone.

Henry grumbled under his breath about people who couldn't understand common sense when they heard it, as he brushed blue wing dust and broken bits of bug from the front of his coat and caught the sideways look Archie send him. "No I'm not crossing myself," he answered the unasked question, "I'm a Protestant Parson, not a catholic priest . . . " He winced as he realized that any number of people in the room could have easily understood what he'd been mumbling as it had been in perfectly understandable English. Though he also wished they had listened when he'd said to leave the door alone.

"I apologies," he started sheepishly. "I should not have snapped." It was then his eyes fell on the girl shielded by Callahan's coat. "Miss. Eliza, are you injured? Miss Kingsley? Miss. Pippa? Is everyone in one piece?" He looked around the room then, at the state of it, at the state of most of them, "Perhaps Dr. Colridge should be informed of what exactly has being going on in his house--"

• Love
"I'm filthy!" was the first clear words to come from Leanne when Eliza spoke to her. She seemed distracted and confused by the butterflies so her next words weren't very distinguishable, something about Eliza and Maria for sure. Allen stood up, sighing with Eliza but the door had revealed a strange room by then.

Allen knew immediately what Eliza was about to do. "No. No, Eliza, don't go in there-"

Which of course meant she would.

Allen and Leanne immediately followed, Allen still warning Eliza not to touch anything. Which again meant she would.

"Eliza!" the twins called in alarm when the butterflies attacked. They ran to her in a flash, Leanne abandoning her thoughts and tearing off the butterflies, practically ignoring Callahan. She didn't think of the consequences anymore. Allen pulled Eliza closer to himself and tried to help until Archie came with the scroll that seemed to attract the butterflies.

"Archie!" Leanne cried when the lad lost his balance. She ran over to help him up. "What-what is on that paper?"

• Love
Reactions: Dip and Midian
When sought, Dr. Colridge was no help. He was sitting in his study again, and when Bibi tried to get his attention, he merely kept staring at the opposite wall, muttering:
"I don't want to talk right now. Go away." Nothing she said or did could rouse him, and as she left his study she heard a little girl's mocking laughter from somewhere nearby. Suddenly, a small, furry animal darted swiftly by her legs and jammed itself behind a suit of armor, causing it to crash to the floor. When Bibi looked for the animal, there was nothing but a skinned weasel pelt in the mangled armor.

In the strange parlor Eliza sat upright at the sound of the armor crashing.
"I've gone blind!" she exclaimed, but when Leanne pulled the coat off of her, she breathed a deep sigh of relief.
"I'm not blind," she affirmed to herself, allowing Allen to help her up without fuss, for once. She held onto his arm as she wiped her mouth, coughing up a cloud of blue powder.
"What on earth happened? We were coming into the parlor, and then I was on the floor, and then... Why are all of those butterflies just sitting there?" she asked, walking up to the picture Archie had drawn. They were content to ignore her now, and up close it almost sounded at though they were... cooing? She backed away and wiped more blue from her mouth.
"Did... Did anyone tell Dr. Colridge about this?" she asked. "It looks as though they've been nesting in here. How horrid."
"Mr. Weston, you seem to know about the butterflies. What is it about them that makes them so... So awful? I have never seen something like this before, not even in books. Pippa seems to think they're awful too."

As they spoke, Callahan felt a curious prickling in his side that progressed to a full-on sharp, creeping pain. When he touched his side he found tiny, green tendrils were growing into him, attached to an acorn. The butterfly he'd picked up was nowhere to be seen, but the acorn had a little blue powder on it.

Callahan reached down and grabbed at the sharp pain. It was... an acorn. An acorn. A damn acorn! Callahan threw it on the ground, and stomped on it angrily. "Damn these goose chaises!" He bellowed. "Damn all of these weird folk! Damn that Widow Hart! Damn that Doctor Colridge, damn that Doctor Angstrom, and damn those DAMN BUTTERFLIES!!!" He yelled once more. He was fired up in all the wrong ways, and he was sure that he was going to explode. "That's it, that is IT. I've had it up to here with ALL of you kooks! I'm leaving, I tell you!"

With that, he angrily hobbled near the door.

----------------------------------------------------------

Archibald's head was spinning. Mostly because he was knocked down onto the ground very hard, and he had no recollection of ever being there before. And with Callahan's yelling, it didn't do anything for his newfound headache. What a very peculiar situation he's gotten himself into.

"There are a number of local stories in which the butterflies are portrayed as a bad omen," Henry answered Eliza's question. "But if they normally behave like they did today I would say those stories stem from the fact that in large quantities they can pose a very real danger rather than any legends. Are you sure you're all right, Miss. Eliza?"

It was then that Callahan began to rant, and while Henry stood with a very firm disapproving look on his face he did nothing to to stop the man as he went to the door. Callahan was an adult. He could take care of himself, storm or no storm. He turned to Archi then and offered him a hand up. "Are you all right?" Henry asked the younger man.

"I'm fine," Eliza replied, putting her arms around herself. "But I believe we should go. There is no telling when they will get tired of sitting there."

They left the other parlor, closing the door tightly behind them. Even with all the commotion, Dr. Colridge did not come out to say goodbye to them, or even investigate what had gone on in his parlor. When they passed by his study, he continued to ignore them, instead taking another drink of wine as he stared at the opposite wall. It was only when Gy opened the front doors for Bibi that the professor spoke.
"Tell me, Mr. Weston, do you really believe we can be forgiven?" he asked, taking another drink of the wine. A thin trickle of the dark red liquid oozed out of the side of his mouth and he grimaced. He made no other move to speak to Henry or acknowledge him, and from their carriage he heard his name being called.

The Kingsleys drove Henry back to Brighton Villiage and Archie back to the Wywolfe Estate, offering to take Pippa to wherever she wanted to go as well. Eliza was sad to see Bibi go, but she was sure they'd get to see her again sometime soon. There were so few social people in the country, and it seemed no one from the villages ever went visiting unless they couldn't help it. Before Henry departed the carriage, Eliza thanked him warmly for taking care of her after the butterflies attacked.
"Please let us if there's anything we can do for you, Mr. Weston," she finished, smiling and keeping David from jumping out of her lap before the twins shut the carriage door.

By the time they arrived, Mrs. Kingsley gave them all a lengthy lecture about staying out so long and during a storm to boot. In particular she shook her finger at the twins.
"And the two of you are supposed to be the eldest, but look at how tired and damp you've let Eliza get. You ought to be ashamed of your poor judgment, the both of you! Honestly!"

It seemed as though she would never run out of steam, but finally she shooed them all away to go change into dry clothes. The storm finally quieted around midnight, leaving an eerie silence pervading the countryside. No moonlight touched even single blade of grass or a lonely bug, but even in the darkness everything seemed to be alive with motion. Creeping, crawling, running, flying, slithering, slinking, traipsing motion all around the house and over the yards. Around three in the morning, when Leanne woke for what seemed no reason, she saw a monstrously large creature pass by the stable, pausing to turn its yellow eyes on her window before it was swallowed up by the fog.

In the morning, Mrs. Kingsley had the servants hasten to get rid of the dead horse before anyone saw it. It was the last thing she needed the twins to see on their birthday.

red_satin.jpg

The house was alive and crackling with energy by the time the twins came down from their bedroom, servants bustling around under the management of Mrs. Kingsley. Eliza had even decorated David with a new red satin ribbon and was teasing him with a long sprig of grass outside on the front steps.
"Good morning you two! Happy Birthday!" Eliza exclaimed, smiling at them.
"Did you see Mama? She needs the two of you to go pick up some things in town for her, here," she said, producing a list of groceries.
"And she wants you to drop off this basket with Mr. Weston for going around with us yesterday."

Eliza handed Leanne the basket, which contained fresh bread, pickles, and some jam.
"I wanted to go, but you know how Mama is. She said yesterday was enough excitement for me," Eliza finished, sighing. "But have fun!"

"Tell me, Mr. Weston, do you really believe we can be forgiven?" Dr. Colridge asked as the left.
"If we can't then every single one of us is doomed," Henry answered before he left. There was no answer.

Compared to everything he had just been through, Henry had to say his evening the night before, and morning routine the next day, seemed down right boring. He swept his floor, put the rags in place to block the crack under the door, fed Cat, told Cat about his day, worked on his sermon notes for the following Sunday, and went to bed. His morning involved sweeping his floor, again, breakfast for himself and Cat, an early morning walk to the meadow atop of Taylor's hill where he sat and prayed and then read from his Bible.

The early morning light streaked across the sky as the sun rose just peaking above the horizon and illuminating the green grass, burning away the remains of the mist the night before. A slight breeze ruffled the pages of the book on his lap as his eyes pored over some his favorite new testament verses, as he sought the Lord's wisdom in the writings of Paul. He didn't know what this day would bring, he never knew. He only prayed for wisdom in every moment and situation that would arise. He was tempted to pray for patience, but he knew if he did he would need it.

By the time he returned, the town was just getting up. Those with jobs to see to at least. The baker, the butcher, the steady ringing of the forge indicated the blacksmith was up. Those with leisurely lives were probably still abed. Henry had to work for his living. Today that included morning arithmetic lessons for several of the town boys. No doubt they'd want to study outside in the grass. He might even have to bribe them with fencing lessons to complete their sums, but he never really minded that. The rest of the day, well he had plans, but something in him said he shouldn't count too much on them.

• Love
Archie was dropped off at his house, and he thanked the people kindly for the ride. Though there wasn't really a lot to be kind about in this matter. Oh no, the only good he sought from this situation was the pen, and he kept it in his waist coat-- inside pocket, incase he does happen upon the house again, and the man who threw himself into the fit of asphyxiation (still such a peculiar sight...) would happen upon noticing it. He looked over the house, and kept his gaze down onto the grass. He felt... unwelcomed. Even in his own home. He wanted to look up at the attic, but he knew that's where she lived. His mother still haunts that retched place, but he's only ever so thoughtful of the situation when he thinks, "Why just the top floor?"

Archie went through the back of the house, and he made his presents known when he walked in. He tripped up on the stairs, and was sure that his father would throw a fit of him being out so late-- he'd throw a damn fit if he knew he left at all! Archibald stood up, and waited in one spot for his scolding. He waited a long time, actually. He nervously called for his father, but again, nothing. Archie let out a sad sigh, and left to his room in the basement, like Little Red Riding Hood after she found out that The Big Bad Wolf ate her grandmother.

Archie wasn't going to bed. Oh no, he had enough adventure for that day, and he didn't want to have one while asleep. Once he was down stairs, he
closed the door and changed into a new pair of pants and shirt. He still kept his overcoat on, but he switched his pants for black ones and his dirty shirt for a clean, white one. It had been his favorite-- it had lovely cuff links, with gold beetles on the collar and the cuffs themselves! He wore it, flashed around in his pants, decided to change his overcoat at once (to a grey one, with the pen still in his pocket, mind you. He was also a gent and took out Lyall from his front pocket. Poor thing fell asleep after all the commotion. He set the little thing on a spare rag he kept near his charcoal) and he went off to his workbench.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was late. Late in the early hours of the morning. The young adolescent had been fiddling with a device for a while now, and to be frank, he hadn't the slightest clue as to what it does. Archibald wasn't sure how long he had been awake for, but he was sure that he couldn't take much longer of this. He rested his chin on his hand, and let his eyelids droop. It wasn't long till his head made contact with the desk, and he was snoring loudly. He was, atleast, till he heard a faint voice.

"Wake up! Wake up, chief! Wake up!"

Archie's eyes fluttered open at the sight of.... Lyall. Lyall, the mouse, perched before him on the device that seemed to be of no importance.

"Oh, good! You're awake, chief. Pleasant dreams are unhealthy. They distract the mind, chief! Well, I'm glad you're up anyway. Awake activity will be sure to keep you out of trouble. But you see, It's coming, chief! It's coming!"

Archibald was sure he was going crazy. He sat up in his chair and squinted at the mouse. Lyall was talking to him. Sure, her little mouth wasn't moving, and she just sat there and groomed herself, but there was a faint voice in the back of his head narrating for her. Archie rubbed his eyes, and looked back. The mouse was doing the exact same as before, but Lyall suddenly stopped, and looked at him with bright black eyes. Archie sat back in his chair, and the mouse inched forward. He raised an eyebrow at it, and watched it closely.

"I know what the banter is, chief. I saw you with the new folk. I saw an awful lot today. An AWFUL lot. The man who turned blue, chief! He's up to something, I tell you! Most likely plotting with It, I can tell you that much. Ooh, they're up to something, those folk! You can't trust any of them, chief!"

Well, he was going crazy. He leaned in close, and whispered to his friend. "Excuse me?" He asked. It was the most intelligent thing he thought to do! What else was he to do when he saw his best friend talking to him? The mouse hopped onto the floor, and looked over at Archibald. His blood ran cold, and he stood up after the mouse.

"It's over the bridge, chief! The one who's plotting with the man!"
"O-Over the bridge? That's the Brighton Manor..."
"The manor, chief! We have to get there before It starts plotting with the new folk!"
"It's the dead of morning Lyall, and I-" He paused, and covered his face with his hands. "...And I'm arguing with a mouse."
"Chief, come quickly! There is trouble, great trouble! It'll find us, Archibald! It's on it's way right now! I've talked to the good beetles about it. They're good doctors. They're good at these sort of things, don't you know, chief?"
"...And are you quite sure?"
"Sure as buttons, chief, sure as buttons!"

Archibald was sure this was some kind of trap, or perhaps a hallucination from lack of sleep, but he was soon out the door of the basement, and he was following a field-mouse over the bridge to the manor. He heard other voices, too. Faint, like Lyall's, but in quite a different spectrum of disturbing. Of course, they didn't call him 'chief', but they did call him out on other things... One in particular caught him right away. Oh, what that bug said to him riled him up bad.

"I've been watching you, little map slave... in the shower, yes? Becoming quite the young gentlemen aren't we? If you know what I mean. Uh? Yes? Oh dear!"

Over the river and across the bridge later, they came upon the large house. He followed the trail that Lyall faintly left and continued on, noticing that the sun was coming out. Was it perhaps sometime around four, or five in the morning? Oh, bugger, if he was going to be gone away when his father gets home... Well, that was if he got home. He sighed, and wished things were different. It's never been the same since his mother died. It was obvious, really, because animals never talked to him, either. Soon, they made their way around the house in secret, and found themselves in the stables. Lyall climbed the boards, and perched on the plank.

"What is it?" Archie asked, as he tried to catch up. He caught the smell of something terrible.
"It's already got it, Chief. We're late."
"W-what?" Archie quickened his pace, and saw the horrific sight. There was so much blood. He never saw a scene like this before. The horse (or what was left of it) was completely dead, with it's entrails ripped out, and the blood covering all of the hay and even the water itself. Archie was going to be sick. He was going off to the side to find a respectable place to vomit, when he heard a wicked howl from behind him.

Everything was moving so fast. The figure, the scream, the howl. Archie felt his heart drop to his chest as the beast caught up to him, and he saw the gnashing teeth and the spitting tongue. The creature lunged at Archie's throat, and then suddenly...

Archie woke up.

He was at his work bench. He was in his room. In his house. With Lyall still on the charcoal, and his odd creation on the table. Archibald was at a loss for words right then. Everything seemed so real. He could still feel the creature's breath on his neck... Archie looked at his mouse, and poked it slightly. No voice. No respond. No chief. He sighed, fixed his coat, and slipped his little friend in there. It wasn't long after that until his father came down, with some food for his son. They engaged in conversation, and when Archie asked where he had been, Dr. Angstrom simply said that there was an emergency house call. His father got those all the time, so he really didn't leave that night.

As they continued to talk, Dr. Angstrom brought up the topic of a birthday at the Brighton manor, and how he should go. Archie decided to take a leap of faith, and to attend.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
Silence was the twins' defense mechanism toward their mother. They knew it was their fault but Allen was too prideful to say anything about it. Leanne however, had been on the edge since she got all messed up. She broke down in sobs and messy tears again when their mother scolded them. As if their mother was being overly cruel, Allen held Leanne closely and defensively. They only separated to clean themselves up.

After that, Leanne stood by the window near the door to her balcony garden, brushing her hair. Her precious flowers seemed asleep, patiently waiting for the relentless storm to cease. She wanted very much to go out and shelter them from the harsh attack of raindrops. She watched, silently debating with herself until she heard the door of her room open.

Allen let himself in. "Are you alright?" He asked, examining her worriedly. Her silhouette was illuminated by a sudden flash of lightning that made her wince. "Y-yes, I'm alright now." She said quietly. It was a true statement until the loud thunder. Allen rushed to her side and moved to embrace her.

They talked for a little while about the strange things they witnessed, but Leanne was more worried of Eliza, Maria and her garden. Allen assured her that their sisters were alright and her flowers would be fine, since those were grown very well. Having the peace of mind, Leanne decided to go to bed.

"Won't you stay, Lenny?" She said hopefully. He smiled.

Startled awake for some reason, Leanne found herself sitting up. She was breathing hard as if she had just stopped running. She turned to see her brother fast asleep beside her, his features looking even softer with his lips and eyebrows relaxed. She stroke his hair fondly for a moment and realized the dull silence meant that the sinister storm was over and she could go check on her flowers.

Her poor flowers, all battered by the rain. She bit her lip as she tenderly touched some of the leaves and petals that were scattered. The air was bitingly cold and her hands began to shiver. She decided to get her dressing gown and perhaps her gardening gloves.

On her way out, something caught her eye and she gasped in shock. It was a shadow, monstrously large with an ominous stance. She stumbled backward, not realizing she hadn't enough breath to scream. Its steely yellow eyes had a gaze that pierced her as it passed by the stables. "Allen," she managed to say, her voice was still faded. However, as quick as it came, the thing was gone.

She let out a shuddering breath, her senses telling her that she was still standing near her window with her hands on her mouth. Her knees were giving way. Allen awoke with a start and saw her. He immediately took her in his arms. "What? What is it?"

"I think I saw something. I don't know. It went to past the stable." She held on to him for support, her breath becoming regular now that Allen held her. "Y-your Joseph is there."

"I know. I know Leanne. It's alright, you're alright. I'm sure Joseph is fine." Allen said, slowly leading her back to the bed. She let him position them both so they were huddled together and she laid her head on his chest. When had he felt this firm and strong? she wondered. Nevertheless, it comforted her. She closed her eyes and almost instantly fell asleep.

He on the other hand, was wide awake for about an hour, listening and feeling.
Allen woke up earlier than Leanne. He got off the bed and placed a careful kiss on her head again before he left for his room. He was thinking about what happened, wondering if Joseph is alright. He fixed himself up and got dressed pretty quickly but when he got out, Leanne was at the hall, just on her way to his room. She too, was dressed.

"Well, happy birthday." She said sweetly, taking his hands in hers. "I'll make you some pastries today." She kissed his cheek. He chuckled nervously. "Happy birthday to us," he trailed off.

"You haven't slept at all with worry." She declared as they made their way to the staircase. "You want to see to it that Joseph is well?"

"Yes." He said, giving her hand a squeeze. "And I really want some pastries." Then, he pulled her to him and he leaned closer. Suddenly, he pushed away again as a servant came to them. They shuffled on their feet awkwardly as the housemaid greeted them rather stiffly and told them that their mother wants to tell them something. They told her they would go see her.

"Sorry." Allen said, adjusting his cuffs for no reason. Leanne took his hand again. "Do you reckon mother sent for her to greet us?"

Allen scoffed. "Fat chance."

Eliza was first to greet them. Leanne was delighted and gave her a hug and cooed at the adorable new ribbon on David, Allen smiled warmly and thanked her. Eliza handed Leanne a basket and gave them instructions. "I wanted to go, but you know how Mama is. She said yesterday was enough excitement for me," Eliza finished, sighing. "But have fun!"

"Maybe you can come with us anyway! Mother and the servants look quite preoccupied today." Leanne said with a happy little clap. "Leanne, no." Allen said sternly, although he was glad to see Leanne was in a definitely better mood and that Eliza didn't get colds.

"Oh Allen, it's not going to rain today! And we'll even be with Mr. Weston!"

"I'm sorry, both of you. It's better for all of us and mother if we just do as she says." He folded his arms and gave his sisters a condescending look. Then he leaned a little lower so he was whispering to Eliza and added, "For now." He winked and patted his youngest sister's head.

"Look, they definitely look busier today." Leanne said, tapping Allen's shoulder and observing the bustling servants. "We better get a move on before mother sees us still here."

They said good bye to Eliza and went to get Joseph at the stable. Allen was visibly delighted to see that his beloved stallion was alright. The two of them cared for the horse as much as they cared for their siblings. Joseph was with them in their many secret meetings, too. After getting him ready, Allen and Leanne rode off. After dropping Joseph off at the nearby stable, they headed for the market. "I wonder why she sent us instead of the servants, though." Leanne said as she slid her hand on Allen's awaiting arm.

"She wants us to apologize to Mr. Weston, remember?" Allen said, tapping the basket. "Personally, I want to apologize to Archibald."

"Archie." Leanne corrected.

"Oh, yes of course." He said as they walked on. "Now, I wonder where Mr. Weston or the general shops are."

Pippa had insisted on being dropped off a short way away from her house instead of directly in front of the entrance like Eliza had insisted. She was quite sure that if her brothers saw her exit a carriage with an array of strange people, they would tattle on her to her elder siblings. She would have to go in through the way that she'd came, through the back and as quietly as possible. It was late after all. Perhaps her family wouldn't even have noticed that she was out for so long! They had been quite busy lately.

"PIPPA'S BACK! PIPPA'S BACK!" A gratingly high pitched wail sounded, as soon as Pippa entered the manor. Her youngest brother of four years was sitting in the middle of the floor with his toys scattered around him. He was grinning gleefully and pointing at her wildly.

"Why you little cockroach!" The girl snarled advancing quickly with the intent of knocking him over the head with her fist. Not too hard, just enough to get him to shut up. But before she could even touch the brat, her sister, Aster who was only a year younger than her, grabbed her arm and started pulling her towards the staircase. "Let go of me!" Pippa snapped, resisting and digging her heels into the floor, unfortunately it was very hard to get a foot hold on marble.

"Sister is very very angry, Pippa! You went out without telling anyone and then you stayed out very very late!" Aster scolded, dragging her older sister up the steps.

Pippa growled and fought against the other girl with all her might but, Aster had always been two times bigger than her. Plus she was stupid, always told the truth, always did what their elder siblings said and she had the irksome habit of always saying 'very' twice.

"Sister is very very upset. You should be very very ashamed of your very very bad behav--Ow! Pippa, that hurt, you mangy beast!" Aster shrieked, holding her arm where Pippa had twisted it, leaving a nasty red mark on the pale skin.

"Serves you right for being such a big b--

Aster shoved her into their older sister's room before Pippa could finish her sentence.

Isabella Stonewall, was the current eldest girl in the Stonewall family, everyone else had gone to study abroad in Paris according to her. It was her who dealt out the punishments and lectures, normally Mr. and Mrs. Stonewall would do the honors but they were terribly busy with work and under no circumstances were they to be bothered or the Stonewall family and name would be doomed.

"Sit down, Pippa." Isabella, commanded, from behind her curtain. Pippa wasn't all too sure why her sister was standing behind the black satin curtain, but she didn't question it. It was probably because of something stupid like 'the passage to lady hood' or something of the like.

"Pippa, I am greatly disappointed..."

- -

The next day looked very bleak to Pippa when she arose. Isabella had given her a lifetime worth of chores because she had stayed out for so long or something like that. The girl hadn't really been listening to everything that her older sister had been droning on and on about.

"It's not like I went out and destroyed the town...All I did was a little exploring...Why's she have to be so mad?" Pippa grumbled as she dressed herself in her work clothes and started on her chores.

Dust the entire house.
Rid the house of said dust.
Scrub the parlor floor.
Arrange the books by alphabetical order.
Teach Becca her letters.
Feed the pigs.

This was going to take forever.

Last edited:
At the Lovelace Estate Mssr. Lovelace dug himself out of the heaps of warm and wine-soaked bodies that littered his private parlor and wrapped himself in a dark red robe, stalking out into the hall.
"BIBI! BIBI! BIBI!" he yelled, finally coming upon his head maid trying to wade through the discarded clothes in his outer parlor.
"There you are! I need more wine, a great deal of it. And some food, whatever you can find. I don't keep you around to look disgusted, it messes up that lovely face of yours that I also don't pay you for. Now hurry up before my guests wake up and decide not to stay."

He scratched his head and wandered back into the other room, grabbing a mostly empty bottle on his way and taking a large swig out of it.

[hr/]

Near the Tangle Widow Hart had been listeless ever since Callahan's return, and it hadn't taken him long to discover that some of her hair had begun to fall out. There were clumps wound around her fingers and she barely reacted to his entrance into her house.
"It starts," she said finally, almost so quietly he couldn't hear. "The end begins."
"Monstrous little child. She won't survive another dip. But she won't try that again, oh no. She's got another one hooked up real good. The girl'll walk, mark my words."

Hart sighed and put her head on her desk, moving aside several pots of ink and apples to do so.
"What'll you do? You're marked. There's no hope now," she said mournfully.

[hr/]

On the steps Eliza sat up as Archie approached, finally climbing to her feet as the small young man disembarked. She wasn't overly fond of Archie since he didn't seem to value his freedom very much (indeed, he seemed afraid of it), but it semed today he had given it a go and shown up on his own.
"Hullo Archie, are you feeling better?" she asked, scooping David up.
"The party will begin shortly, as soon as Allen and Leanne get back from town. I'm really surprised to see you here. Would you like to come in and have some tea or maybe some breakfast...?"

[hr/]

As the twins got into town, they wre able to see Mr. Weston teaching some of the town boys arithmetic out in the grass. A particularly large grasshopper jumped on the face of one, causing a moderate disruption in the lesson as his classmates tried to help him get it off.[/hr][/hr]

Callahan only half-listened to the old bat's words when he had the mind to. He didn't care for them at the time. He had walked a good mile or two from God-Know's-Where to the bloody Tangle, soaking wet, with a sharp pain still in his thigh from when that butterfly changed into a damned plant. He sighed, and closed the door once he entered. He light a cigarette, knowing that the smoke would calm his nerves and maybe ease the old lady. He was only mildly worried when he noticed that she was losing her hear-- literally. It wouldn't be long till she lost her bloody head! He shook his head, cursed under his smoky-breath and headed towards the older lady. Callahan, despite the widow's best intentions, unwound her hair from her fingers, and looked at her wrinkled hands.

Where had she gone wrong?

Callahan blew smoke away from the ailing lady, and looked at her. She was doing some sort of acrobatics with her eyes, and he almost felt mad that she had gone it. He wished so much that she was normal.

Callahan simply stood back up, and turned his back from her, sure that if he looked back she would be pulling the hair around her fingers again. He felt the small stem still protruding from his leg, and thought to tell her of it. It might be something of importance, but it might anger her. The last thing he wanted was a cantaloupe to the side of the head again. But, oh well. "The butterflies," He started, taking a long drag from his only friend. "They're dangerous, eh?" He asked her, blowing out his smoke like a steam-train. "I figured that much. There's a tree growin' in me, now, I tell you. A wee little sapplin', with an acorn on the end. Well, now it's a stump. I kept a blue one-- a blue butterfly, in my pocket, just for you. You flighty bat."

He headed up the stairs, and into his room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archibald had taken his sweet time leaving the premise. He had never seen so much fog around his house before, but when he left the ill-omened mist, he saw how beautiful the day was. It made him scared and uneasy. He constantly watched behind his back when he tried leaving, and he even convinced himself that maybe this wasn't a bright idea at all. But soon, he found himself where his odd dream had been the night before. He didn't want to check the stalls one bit. But, it seemed that he didn't need to. There was Eliza, on the steps of the establishment.

"Uh, not quite that well, not today." He nervously admitted, fiddling with his beetled cuffs. "It's far too early to be embarking, I think. But, what are you to do?" He chuckled nervously, and stopped picking at his cufflinks. She spoke of the party, and hit himself with a brick. Oh, drat! It's a PARTY! A BIRTHDAY! It's frowned upon in society to not give presents on those days. He needed to think quickly, quickly... "I-I would, actually. But no tea, not right now. But, uh, perhaps... a-a pen? And some paper-- large paper, and some... water colors? Water, too please, and sugar and salt, would do the trick, thank you."

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
"I suppose it's where there are plenty of-oh!" Leanne stopped. "There he is!"

They watched for a moment as Mr. Weston was having a lesson with some lads in the shade of a tree. "Well, let's go." Allen said, as if trying to convince themselves to keep going. They had stopped completely all of a sudden. They shared an anxious look that made their similar features look much more alike. "Alright, let's go." Leanne said in reply, but she wasn't moving either. Allen gestured to the pastor with a jerk of the head and a tug of Leanne's arm as if to get her moving. She bit her lip and furrowed her brows, gesturing with her eyes because Allen wasn't moving either. As the pantomime battle went on, it seems something disrupted the class.

"Eeek! A grasshopper!" Leanne screeched even if they were considerably far. She clung to Allen in panic. "Make it go away, make it go away, make it-"

"It's gone, it's gone. Calm down." Allen said, more amused than anything. Leanne's clinging to him seemed to give him enough courage to lead them forward and approach Mr. Weston.

"Mr. Weston, excuse us for interrupting," Leanne said warmly but her grip on Allen's sleeve didn't soften, knowing the grasshopper is somewhere nearby.

"Good morning, Mr. Weston. Can we have a word?" Allen said as he gave a polite little bow and Leanne curtsied at the exact same time. Their matching movements looked paradoxically natural and choreographed and so were their rather self-conscious movements.

"We'd like to apologize to you. For..." Leanne trailed off. What should they apologize for first? The twins shared a nervous glance again.

"Everything." Allen said with a nod. He looked very much guilty even as he tried to sound formal.

"Yes. All of that." Leanne said carefully and she held out the basket. "Please accept this."

"So if you compare the two trains at their different speeds train A does travel faster, however it makes more stops before it gets to London. The train you want to ride on is . . .Yes, Timothy?"
"It doesn't matter, Mr. Parson, Sir," a curly red haired boy of about ten answered. "If you look at the time train A takes per stop and subtract it from the total travel time, Both trains arrive in London at the same time."
"Very good. Very good indeed," Henry praised the boy. There were about five of them sitting in front of him on the grass. He was just about to move on to the next question when he caught movement out of the corner of his eye and he noticed the Kingsley twins apparently uncertain over whether they could approach or not. He was just considering whether or not he should dismiss the lesson for the day when the grasshopper made his decision for him.

"Catch it, catch it," one of the boys cried, "that'll make a good dinner for my new chick!" Five boys were certainly capable of not only distracting themselves but a good many passersby, though most folk only smiled and shook their heads.
"Dismissed!" Henry laughed as the boys took care of the problem on their own and each ran home to do whatever it was they were supposed to be doing after lessons had ended, one with a meal for his chick. A moment later the twins had approached and Henry turned to them.

"Mr. Weston, excuse us for interrupting,"
"Good morning, Mr. Weston. Can we have a word?"

Henry smiled as they approached but there was something about their behavior that sent a little thread of worry through him. He couldn't put his finger on exactly what it was, but something said they were nervous and that in turn made him a bit wary. Usually when people approached him like this there was something wrong. They disagreed with his latest sermon, someone was ill, or required help of some kind.

"We'd like to apologize to you. For..."
"Everything."

Ah, so that was it. The nervousness came for a dislike of having to apologize, whether because they were nervous over his reaction or because they felt they had no need to make an apology in the first place Henry didn't know. Still, that reasoned out he began to relax.

"Yes. All of that." Leanne said carefully and she held out the basket. "Please accept this."

"There's really no need . . ." Henry began, but the basket was pressed into his hands and as he looked into it his smile broadened. Jam. It had been a very long time since he had had jam. Most of the locals had learned that he didn't have much of a sweet tooth, but jam was a weakness of his. "I, well, thank you. Please, think nothing more of it . . . would you care for some tea? I'll have to put this up anyway it's the least I can do to thank you for your generosity."

Brighton Parsonage was an easy distance from the village in it's own quiet nook, build on a flat spot about halfway down a hill and surrounded by trees. There was a little path that led up to the grey stone building from the road (which was more of a farmer's road that led off toward several nearby properties) and what looked like an attempt at a garden on one side that was badly in need of weeding.

A white cat waited patiently on the doorstep and as Henry pulled a little key from his waistcoat pocket he bent down to scratch the animal's ears. "Good morning, Cat, you want back in already?" he asked it as he opened the door and led them all inside to a small but tidy parlor. The cat streaked in and giving a wary look at the twins bolted up the stairs, which were directly across from the door, and disappeared around a corner.

There was a big chair next to the fireplace with a little table holding a Bible next to it, and on the opposite wall was a small writing desk. Henry may have been a bachelor, but it was obvious that everything had a place and most things were currently where they belonged.

"Make yourselves at home," he instructed his guests as he left them in the parlor and went into the only other room on the ground floor, the kitchen, to put the food away and make a pot of tea on the stove after building up the necessary small fire. Henry had gotten quite good at that, making a fire just the right size for a pot of tea without wasting any extra wood.

It was as he was putting the pickles away that he found the note. Tucked into a corner of the basket and neatly folded was a short thank you from Mrs. Kingsley with a small request at the end. A request that made Henry's eyebrows raise in surprise.

A Moment later the kettle steamed and Henry tucked the note safely away in his pocket as he readied the tea tray. It was hardly a fancy setting, certainly not like what the Kingsley's would be used to, but it was serviceable and nothing was chipped.

"Here we are," he announced as he reentered the parlor and set about serving his guests. "I'm afraid I don't have any cream, but there is sugar. I hope you don't mind?"

"Um," Eliza said, puzzling over Archie's request for watercolors and paper. "Perhaps we will start off with tea and then see."

She led him inside and dodged the servants as she managed to grab a teacup, ducking under another to get to the teapot. She resisted being shooed away as she poured the tea and scooted just before being noticed by Mrs. Kingsley, grabbing a handful of sugar cubes on her way out. She rejoined Archie in the parlor, panting a little and hair a bit askew, and gave him the tea and sugar cubes.
"It's a bit of a mess in there," she said by way of apology, sitting down herself.
"Did you come to see the twins-- Leanne and Allen? They aren't in right now, but I'm sure they'll be back around lunchtime."

She was quiet for a bit, letting him drink his tea before she spoke up again.
"About last night... Archie, it was all real, wasn't it? Everything we saw, everything that happened... What happened to me while I was unconscious? Those butterflies, how did you get them to stay on that paper? What's going on in this countryside?"

[hr/]

At the Stonewall Estate, as Pippa tended the pigs, she heard a soft whistling coming from nearby. It was easy enough to shake off as one of her siblings playing a trick, but when she turned to go back into the house, there was a single, blue butterfly on the door. The pigs began to squeal and fret, running around the enclosure and battering it with their hefty bodies until a small section gave way and one of the smaller piglets escaped, running full speed into the bushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.