Quiet Country People

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No!" Archibald seemed to yell at the both of them. "No, no, I'm not mad, thank you. Very much not mad, actually." He projected his voice to the man in the doorway. "And I've had my monthly excursion with the damned steps, thank you very much, I'd much rather stay down here," He looked towards the girl again, who made his personal space her space. "And I'd rather be alone." Archie pushed slightly, and the girl walked backwards. Soon, she was on the first step, and Archie didn't dare past the invisible boundaries.

"I'm sorry, that was a bad introduction," He started. "Hello? How are you? I'm Archibald Angstrom. I live DOWN HERE. ALONE. With my own company, thank you," Archie continued. "And that company doesn't belong with you," He said. "Rude as I may, I have a job to do down here, and believe me, if I could leave I would. But, I can't, so I won't. And as for the scarecrow-- wait," Archie paused for a moment. "Scarecrow?" He asked, giving her a look. She must be an absolute ninny! "What scarecrow? You are the one who's mad, not me!"

But soon, the strange girl talked of the one in the bathroom-- THE bathroom, and he got nauseous.

===============

Callahan reeled back as the fruit was spattered against his face. "Arugh!" He held his cheek. "Ow!" He gave her a look. What was wrong with her today? Callahan held up his hands in defense, and walked out. "Okay! Okay, I'll get dinner. I'll catch some fish, just don't hit me with it's entrails!" Callahan walked out the door. But, he was still fuming about the what Hart had done. He balled up his fists, and looked around for something. He grabbed a rotten piece of fruit she kept in her prehistoric garden, and held it up.

"Damn you, Widow!" He yelled, before flinging the rotten plant at the side of the house. He nailed a curiously blue butterfly, too, probably killing it with the garbage. "And damn you, too, Cecil!" Cecil just so happened to be the plant that she named, before Callahan had so rudely squished it. He sighed, and walked towards The Angstrom house, to collect the body. It was a short trek to the estate, but once he was there, he managed to hear a conversation from down below.

Archiebald had left his window open from god knows what, but there was a piece of frayed rope near the window. He heard them talk about a scarecrow in the bathroom or some sort. Callahan put two and two together, and guessed that the corpus was in the downstairs bathroom. Perfect. Callahan kicked the window closed with his dirty boot, and walked over onto the other side, where the bathroom window was. He whistled, with his hands in his pocket, and he soon found what he was looking for.

"Bingo," He said to himself. He noticed a butterfly on the windowsill, and plucked it from it's spot. He inspected the blue creature, and shrugged as he let it flutter from his hand. He knelt down, opened the window, and pulled the dead thing out. The thing looked like a scarecrow, that was for sure. The kid must have done this. Callahan sighed, ran a hand through his dirty hair, and pulled few things from his bag. This was going to be dirty.

Callahan pulled three large knives from his bag and three large jars, and went to work. He cut open the body, taking off the shirt and slicing through the skin, and only took what he'd use. He wrapped what he took in a cloth, and placed them in the jars. He took the two lungs, the heart, and most of the other stuff people would sell for. After he was done, he filled the empty chest with rocks and leaves, being sure to pull the shirt back on. He slipped the body back into the bathroom. With that, Callahan was off again. It was ugly work, but it had to be done.

Callahan continued walking, finding himself at a curious stream. He kicked a few rocks, finding himself at some more butterflies. He stepped on one, expecting it to fly away right before. It didn't. It was just a bug. But, as he continued on, he noticed plenty more of the damned thing. More and more, it was disgusting and amazing at the same time! He walked a little faster, and soon, he saw what they were all around. There was a lot more, that was a sure thing, but the few that stayed around were almost having a funeral.

"Go! Go! Go! There are fish to catch!" Suddenly, Callahan knew what the old bat was showing about. He saw a girl, not much younger than a teenager, under the water. Huh. She looked pale. And almost dead. That was the key word there-- Almost. Callahan reached down into the water, and grabbed her by the back of her shirt. It took a lot to pull her out, but once he managed, he tossed her onto the land, and checked if she was even still alive.

"Damnit, Hart..." He muttered, shaking his head. This was going to be a long day.

Leanne Aemilia gave a very unhappy huff as her dear, sweet baby Eliza ignored her and swatted away her sibling's concern. She knew that Eliza was growing up, but it still made her sad that her affections are starting to become unwanted. Even dear Maria threw her cool, cold looks every now and then. Questioning her every time she sent away a perfectly acceptable gentleman. She tried, but she knew that Maria will never understand. She wasn't a twin after all. She'd never understand the bond between herself and Allen. Her beloved Allen.

She allowed Allen to assist her into the carriage and had to smother a giggle that erupted hysterically when they wheels were trapped in vines. She noticed of course, her rather useless gift with making things grow. She had shared a most amused smile with her brother but suddenly, they shared the similar blank bored look when the Pastor joined them. At Mother's insistence. Leanne sighed to herself. Stubborn woman.

Well, at least they were headed to Wywolfe Estate. Her brother could ask for an apprenticeship before he was sent off to a University. But she shouldn't think of such thoughts. She WILL not be separate from her brother. Not ever.

Dr. Angstrom met them and had mentioned a son. Which mother pounced on immediately. It took most of her will power not to roll her eyes. They haven't even met the lad. She seems to eager to sell off her daughters to the nearest gentleman. As if she was a piece of cheap jewelry, sold to the nearest interested face.

Well, she won't have it. She'll never marry. NEVER.

Not as long there is her brother to consider.

When Eliza left to use the loo, Leanne's attention skewered. Her gaze repeatedly went to the direction she left and then back at her family-to her brother, but her main concern was Eliza. She couldn't find herself be able to concentrate at anything else.

There was an odd echoing, but no one seemed to notice and abruptly, Leanne stood up. All talk fell into silence and without a second look, she left in Eliza's direction. Allen will take take of it for her.

"Eliza?" she called out passing an open door and took a step back at the odd scarecrow. She shivered slightly and walked passed it. Scarecrows sometimes hold spiders, she absolutely DETESTS spiders. They were the most horrid creature in all the lands.

She passed by a staircase leading down and backtracked. The door was open and oh look! Eliza! ...with the pastor.

Was there something going on, so quickly? Already? But oh she wasn't ready for her to leave just yet! No, Eliza was not to leave her nest just yet! It was too soon!

"Eliza, my dear!" Leanne cried in joy and walked down swiftly, almost as if she flew down, completely disregarding the pastor. "You took so long I had to come search for you my--oh! You made a new friend! How utterly lovely!"

She gave the parson one cold stare before Leanne turned to the man? no, a lad, hidden in the room. She gave him a beaming bright smile. "Thank you ever so much for taking care of my darling sister." she told the lad. "I'm Leanne Aemilia." she introduced himself. She looked back up the stairs and saw her brother's shadow and smiled. "And I'm sure my twin will be with us momentarily."

Frowning, she approached him and with the precision of practiced ease, straightened his coat and took the odd leaf from his shoulder. "There, much more neater." she said with a gentle smile and blushed slightly.

"Oh pardon me." she said. "What name do you go by, dear?" She latched her hand on her sister's hand, to prevent her escape. Then she turned her silver-blue eyes at the lad infront of her. "Allen!" she called out. "Come! Eliza has made a friend!" she joyously spoke. Perhaps Eliza's dear new friend knew why a scarecrow was in the loo.

It was truly odd. Did all the other villagers do that as well? Was it a sort tradition? Well, no matter. She was going to expect him to explain that in good time.

Now. Where was her beloved twin brother?

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a secret laced in the quiet smirk of Allen and the discreet giggle of Leanne when the carriage was halted abruptly by clinging flora. It was evanescent but it was there and only they shared it, even in a carriage stuffed with Kingsleys. He got off, patting his sisters' knees on the way and helped rescue the wheel.

His bad mood returned as he got back in. The Pastor would come to dinner? What's his mother thinking! It's the Sabbath, the Pastor would probably have other things to do. That would mean she'd be constructing a marriage there. He knew Maria wouldn't like the Pastor and his very simple life. And of course, Leanna would not get married. But really, he had nothing against the Pastor himself, just what he is to Allen's mother: a potential husband for the girls. His parents really, really irked him, but he sat calmly next to the Pastor, his hand in Leanna's again. As usual.

When they got to the majestically morbid Wywolfe Estate, Allen looked at the strange old building and felt something was very very wrong about the place. Something didn't feel right, like the air refused to be as refreshing as it is at their home. That or it was his bad mood. Whatever it is, he had that feeling of wanting to explore the place.

Dr. Angstrom's oddly frazzled appearance matched his home and its....state. He gave an obvious lie about folk dancing, too. Allen wasn't thrown off, though. He was delightfully surprised. He liked people who didn't bother too much with the norms. These kinds of people are more interesting and have some substance compared to the many families who put up with the unwritten social laws. Sadly, Maria might want to be one of those people.

The doctor's house was filled everywhere with things to read. Allen wasn't much of a bookworm but he does love a good book. One might say he's picky but he'll simply defend his "refined taste". The doctor and the son he mentioned were intellectuals. They challenge the truths of the world and Allen was already fond of them. His mood was improving. It also helped that the whole time, Leanne was right beside him with their hands clasped.

When the doctor spoke to him, he put on his warm, people-friendly smile. "Yes, sir." he said and listened to Dr. Angstrom speak of his son. A small part of Allen wondered if his parents-his father, in particular-cared enough to speak of him like that. His mother often disregards him anyway. "It's indeed a handsome map, Dr. Angstrom" he said, looking and marveling at it, taking a few steps to its direction.

The idea of tea soothed him. He noticed Eliza leaving, but hoped as hard as he could that she was simply going to go to the loo. He knew he was wrong. Again, Eliza will dig up trouble.

Leanne stood up and followed where Eliza went, without a second thought.

It didn't take too long for Allen to follow, of course. "If-If you'll excuse me-" He said distractedly, getting up and going straight to where his sister went.

Sure enough, he heard Leanne call. He hurried a bit, finding an open door with what seems to be a man sitting in it. But it wasn't. It appeared lifelike but lifeless.

"Oh." To his surprise, it was something rather interesting. A scarecrow in a bathroom? What a curious sight. He came closer and examined it.

"GOOD LORD! It's a corpse!"

Last edited:
Archibald was at his wits end, really. He wasn't sure what, or why, there was so many people. He counted all the heads to himself and... Oh, he was going to throw up. There was so many people there, he was sure this wasn't going to end nicely. He saw that the three siblings were all near him. Two girls and one boy. The two looked roughly his age, but dear god, he couldn't talk to anyone for the lord! And the Pastor? To hell if he remembered the last time he went to church! The girl touched him, and he nearly swatted her hands away, but he just twitched to the side.

" I--Please, don't, I--For heaven's sake, can you all just--Just not here, no--Not friends, definitely not friends, just--Unlikely strangers--I quite liked that leaf, really--Dear? Oh, bother--Father, forgive me for being rude-- It's, um, just much neater, the more wasn't all that necessary--It's not me taking care of her, so to speak, she's just--Oh my, I swear I'm going to--If you all would just leave, please--"

All it took was the strange boys outburst that made him hit the floor. When he heard the word corpus, he fell backwards, hitting the floor with a thud. Perhaps it had been all of the extra people, or maybe it was the fact that the new neighbors had found his fear, and used it against him, or that his personal space wasn't personal anymore. He had a long morning, already, facing the stairs many-a time by himself. But it was just that, the fact that they found the dead body, that made him faint.

The last thing he was thinking about before he passed out was, "Will they think us murderers? Oh, I do detest crows in bunches. I did nothing wrong, it was a misunderstanding! The man was dead, and he died his own way!!" Oh, he had a sinking feeling that today was going to be a long day.

=========

"And of course, your son and daughter can come whenever they please. I'm almost always here, really." Dr. Angstrom smiled at the couple. "I could teach your son most of the skill, really, but I'll be sure not to get his hands too dirty. What, I'll have to teach him basic anatomy, with body decomposition and--"

"GOOD LORD! It's a corpse!"

Dr. Angstrom was calm about the shout, unlike his son. He sipped at his tea, stood up, and held up one finger. "Excuse me, if you will. I see your children met my son," The man smiled, much as an animal trainer would to an animal. He chuckled, and walked. He walked from the living room, and he turned the corner, to see the bathroom door wide open. He sighed. Archie, what have you gotten into? Dr. Angstrom took a bit of note paper that was on the nearby table, and grabbed a fountain pen atop a pile of books. He inspected the bathroom, chuckled, and pulled out a set of keys on a right.

Dr. Angstrom stuck one into the lock, pulled the door shut, and locked it tight. He took a bit of glue that Archie had forgotten to take downstairs, when he had his new pole and everything, and dabbled a little bit onto the door. He wrote quickly, stuck the note on, and walked over towards his son's room. The note read, "LOO: ON THE FRITZ." But, because he had a doctor's penmanship, it looked much like "LOOK OUT! HE FLYZ."

Dr. Angstrom continued towards the back, and he noticed that the dear pastor was there, aswell. He him on the back, and smiled down at the frenzied group. He laughed happily, like this was a normal thing to happen. "Well!" He started, in a loud, happy voice. "I see you met my son!"

Everything was going so well. The current was pulling her forward and she thought that she would make great time and even arrive in town before the sun went down! And she might have been able to hitch aride on someone's wagon or nab a horse for a bit, so she could ride back to her home with dry clothing.
But then the butterflies descended. Normally butterflies fluttered and lazily flew from flower to flower gracing the world with their beauty. But this was different. There were so many of them and Pippa who didn't even squeal when a spider fell on her head once---was very very nervous.

Butterflies didn't flock. Sheep flocked. Crows flocked. And butterflies most certainly didn't flock on river banks devoid of flowers.

Pippa was mesmerized, with fear or curiosity, she couldn't quite decide between the two. She wanted to stop and investigate the bright blue bugs, but if she went off course now the current might slow and she'd never make it to town. But on the other hand--

"Eeeek!" If she weren't being yanked underwater, Pippa might have expressed her disgust for making such a weak and high pitched sound. But she was being yanked underwater, so she focuses on kicking her legs and flailing as screaming wouldn't do much to help her. But her chaotic movements still almost immediately when she saw what had pulled her down. A girl--No! A creature! A creature with filmy eyes was staring at her and holding her ankle.

Let me go! LET ME GO! Pippa thought frantically, as she resumed her kicking and flailing, but the cloudy eyed creature held fast, and Pippa began to feel her mind slipping

slipping

slippin--

Suddenly Pippa was pulled up and as she breached the surface she let out a gasp of air, which promptly left her as she was ungraciously tossed onto the riverbank like a wealthy child's old doll. The sudden force of her body smacking the ground left her dazed for a moment but she soon came to when she felt something on her. Well not on her. But near her. It was like feeling someone staring at you.

It was a man. A strange man that she had never seen before.

Close to her. Very very close.

Fear and nervousness coursed through her, so Pippa did what she always did when she was in danger.

"RAAAAAHH!" The girl screamed as she launched herself forward and clamped down on the man's shoulder with her teeth.

In Callahan's defense, he was only so close to see if the damned child was dead or not. If dead, he'd toss her aside as easily as he pulled her out. But, after that, he knew she wasn't dead. Callahan would never admit that he was scared, or at all in pain at the sudden bite, but he did scream like a motherfucker. He let our an, "Arg!" And pushed her off of him. What the hell was wrong with this kid? She must have lost a lot of brain cells when she was under.

"Hell!" He cursed, pulling down his shirt slightly, to inspect the bite. "What the hell, girl? Have you gone absolutely bonkers? I have half a mind to throw you back in the damned stream! Why, I ougt to..." He muttered and cursed to himself, collecting some river water to wash away the blood. He stood up, fixed his dirty shirt, and looked over at the girl. He thought silently to himself. He bites, he bites! Bring her away!

Well, this kid couldn't be it. He should really stop taking the old women's advise to heart. He glared at the girl, who seemed to be transfixed on something. "Aren't you suppose to be at home, girl? Cooking with mum? Knitting a lovely sweater or other? Or are you a runaway ruffian?" He shook his head. "Learn your place, girl. You shouldn't be swimming in waters like that-- and for god's sake, file down your damned teeth!"

• Love
Reactions: Mundane Monster
Eliza moved her hands from her hips to cross her arms as Archie rambled. Really, was the boy simple? No, he'd drawn all of those maps perfectly well, he obviously wasn't an idiot. What on earth was he trying to say? Leanne had taken to mothering him within moments of meeting him, true to her older sibling's nature, and no matter how much he liked that leaf, it hadn't stood a chance against Leanne.

However, when Allen announced that there was a corpse in the building, the poor little thing fainted dead away and Eliza knelt by him, prying his eyelids open to see if he was still alive.
"Allen, that isn't a corpse, for goodness sakes! That's a scarecrow, it just looks like a person. It might be well done, but honestly, do you really think they'd just have a corpse hanging about in their bathroom where anyone could find it? Really, Allen, and you're going to be the doctor. Let's get him out of this basement and up into some air... Oh, Leanne, can I borrow your smelling salts? I've lost mine again."

She watched Mr. Weston and Allen haul the insensible boy up the stairs and out onto the front lawn, by this time drawing the attention of Mrs. Kingsley and Maria. While Leanne tried to revive him with the salts Eliza chafed his wrists roughly and pinched his ears, trying to get some life back into him.
"Oh dear me," Mrs. Kingsley murmured, looking at Maria's future husband on the floor. She pursed her lips and briefly reconsidered. Maria would never settle for the parson. No, that was far better Leanne's lot, but would Maria take to this fainting goat of a boy? She had frequently relied on the girl to mother Eliza when she just couldn't manage, and the Lord must know that this boy needed a mother. There was no sense in changing her plans, then, fainting or otherwise. It would still be a good match. She briefly considered sending Maria down to tend to him, but Archie was already well-swamped with nurses and doctors as it was.
"Is your boy prone to fainting, Doctor?" she asked primly. "I know the burden of a sickly child. It can be really quite taxing, always having to attend so closely to their wellbeing at every moment. We are so thankful to have you nearby, really we are."

As Archie came to, Eliza rolled her eyes at him and helped push him into a sitting position. In the distance, down the river, she saw two figures, a large and a small one, but ignored them when Archie seemed to be reviving.
"Really, what on earth did you have to faint about?" she asked him.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Dip
Dr. Angstrom watched the teen and the pastor haul up his son. His hand was on his chin, wondering how in god's name Archie was to respond to this. He ran a hand through his hair, and half-nodded-and-half-shrugged. "He only does this around strangers-- crowds of them, mind you." He crossed his arms around his chest, and shrugged once more. "This is the first time I've seen him out of the house in, what, seven? Ten years?" Dr. Angstrom nodded to himself. "This will be interesting. Oh! I didn't mention, my son is very scared of going... well, anywhere, really. Can't make it up the steps without a fit."

Dr. Angstrom shrugged. "He stays in the basement. All the time. But I'm just fine with it, really. I don't so much as attend to his well being, and it really isn't taxing in the least bit." Dr. Angstrom looked as his boy was sitting up. "This will be interesting. You know, as cruel as this may sound, thank your children later, for giving him a little scare out of there. I was getting a wee bit nervous, myself." He chuckled, and clapped his hands together. He called for his song. "Archibald! I'm proud to see that you're making friends." He laughed happily.

=========

Wet. Mossy. Dirty, bug-infested, terribly dreadful. Outside. Why, Archibald hadn't been outside since the last time he tried to chase his dad from The Blasted Mist-- the thick fog that coated around the house. It almost kept him inside more than his real fear. He was in his sitting position, the world spinning around him in a cluster of stars and birds. He felt something. Something... wet. Something soft. Something dirty. He looked down.

Grass. Grass. Grass?

Archie looked around. The sky was a burning grey, and the fog seemed thicker than usual. Archibald broke into a sweat, and started hyperventilating. He clutched the ground like his life depended on it, and looked around frantically. He pulled his hands away from the grass, and held onto his skinny frame. His eyes were darting around faster than a fish in a barrel, and he was sure he was going to pass out again. But then, when he looked to the attic, he saw the faintest glimpse of his mother. Skinny, pale thing. A white dress, with a choker on her neck. She was just as doll-like as he remembered her being.

Archie took in one final breath, and screamed hysterically. He sobbed perpetually, scratching at his shirt and clinging to the fabric. Fat tears, filled with dread and fear rolled down his face wildly, and there seemed to be no stop to it any time soon.

==========

Dr. Angstrom only stepped in when he heard the screaming. He was still calm. "I do apologize for our visit being so short," He said, taking a step backwards. "And I do wish you and your family fair health. I'll be sure to check in, and you do the same." He smiled, and bowed. He would have tipped his hat if he had one. "It was a pleasure meeting you. I hope you do come back on some... normal grounds." He smiled, again, and turned to help his son up from the dirt, and into the house. The screaming was only muffled when Dr. Angstrom closed the door.

Henry took a deep breath as chaos rained around him and murmured a "Lord preserve us," as the Kingsley boy shouted something about a corpse, but nothing was really under his control. Against his better judgement he found himself agreeing to help carry Archie outside. He knew the boy never left the house, everyone in town knew that, but all efforts to inform these new acquaintances of that fact were ignored. He and Archie had even talked about it on occasion, once when he visited to the house to offer to bring the family his sermon notes if they so desired, and two or three times more when Henry had brought Archie a map commission from a friend of Henry's in the city.

Even knowing Archie didn't like to be out didn't prepare him for the boy's scream. Henry winced feeling like he really should have put his foot down.

Soon after Dr. Angstrom had stepped in, saved his son, and made his goodbyes. That reminded Henry of his own obligations.
With a sigh he turned and bowed to them all.
“If you’ll excuse me, Mrs. Kingsley, I’m afraid I really do have a prior engagement. As much as I would like to stay and become better acquainted with your wonderful family, I am afraid that in this instance I did give my word. But with your permission, perhaps tomorrow afternoon I might stop by to show Mr. Kingsley or Mr. Allen some of the favorite fishing holes or birding grounds in the area?”

• Love
Reactions: Dip and Midian
Pippa should have really made use of her somewhat advanced vocabulary to scold the man. She should have held her head high and demanded that he leave her alone. She should have acknowledged his saving her, given him her thanks and gone on her way. But she was much to mesmerized to do that much. And she wasn't mesmerized like she had been with the butterflies, this sort of mesmerize-ment was different. This type filled her with a warm fluttering feeling.

But why? What was it about him--No wait! It wasn't him! Well not really. It was his hair. His luxurious tangled mane! Pippa was sure that if hair had feelings, that her hair and his hair would engage in a sordid romance right at that very moment.

Oh how she wanted to touch it. Actually she wanted to grab it and maybe pull out a lock or two, but she knew she couldn't get away with that. She had surprised him with the bite, but now that he was aware of her capabilities, she doubted that she would be able to get five feet away before he took her down.
But what was it that the man was blubbering about? Something about cooking? Knitting? Learning her place?!

Rage coursed through Pippa and she charged forward. At first she had just planned to simply encroach on his personal space, but her anger overruled that decision and she drove her foot into his shin while yelling, "Don't tell me what to do, you lovely haired brutish man!"
One of those words was definitely not like the others, but it was too late to take it back now. "I'll bash your stupid exquisite face in!"

Callahan was thankful for one thing, and that was for sure. She didn't go for the family jewels. His face went red, and he fell to one knee. He glared with pure hatred at the girl, and grabbed her by the scruff of he shirt, pulling her in to give her a talking to. He yelled in her face. "I ought to put out you of your misery. I out throw you back into the river and let you drown! I ought to show you who you're messing with, you little pest. You little roach! " He raised a balled fist, and neared it towards her face. He was so close to hitting her, it wasn't funny. He was going to hit her, and no one would be the wiser!

But... She was just a child. He wanted to-- oh lord, did he want to-- but he couldn't. He'd never lay a hand on a women, and children were just the same. He pushed her away, standing up and brushing the dirt off. Callahan couldn't occupy himself with a job of babysitting. He had work to do-- money to spend, and to steal. He took his bag and tightened it around his shoulders, making sure his cargo wasn't destroyed. The glass clanged happily, and in return, Callahan was happy. He glared at the girl, spat a loogie near her feet, and turn towards the other way-- towards the village.

"Well, how rude!" Mrs. Kingsley huffed as the doors closed, leaving them out on the lawn.
"Come, into the carriage! We are going home," Mrs. Kingsley said indignantly, herding her brood into the carriage.
"And the two of you, you've sat together like children long enough. Allen, go sit by your father!" she snapped, pushing Leanne against the window and Eliza at her side. Mr. Weston was crammed in next to the other gentlemen and Mrs. Kingsley seated herself next to him, forcing the girls to huddle up on the other side of the carriage. Eliza ended up elbow-to-ribs with Maria and crossed her arms, sighing a strand of hair out of her face.
"We will take you back to the village, no need to fret," Mrs. Kingsley said, not at all mollified, and the carriage set off at a brisk pace as though the horses wanted to get away from her. Seeing that Leanne looked upset, not being able to even reach Allen across the aisle, Eliza reached over and awkwardly patted Leanne's knee, not sure how to comfort her older sister. It was so hard to believe they were sisters sometimes, and she often forgot how to treat her like one. She was frequently sure she had two and a half sets of parents and that had begun to grate on her nerves more and more. Not only was it annoying, it was lonely and Eliza often felt like an only child.

Speaking of only child, there was one walking along the road ahead of them, dripping wet. Mrs. Kingsley spied her too and had the carriage stop. She climbed out and approached the wild-looking little thing.
"My dear, you're soaked to the bone! Are you quite alright? Where is your family?"

For the second time that day, Pippa felt genuine fear as the man readied to strike her. She winced and closed her eyes awaiting the blow, but when it never came, she opened her eyes slowly and saw the man spit at her feet before walking off. She briefly considered following him. Maybe taking the chance and ripping out a lock of his hair. But it would be such a shame to deprive the full head of even a few strands. Plus there'd be blood on it if she ripped it out.

Pippa turned away as well, and began to walk off to her former destination. To hell with the pretty haired man! She stole another glance over her shoulder, gazing at his beautifully messy locks before gritting her teeth and trudging away. She hoped that she would see him later--

WHAT IN THE LORD'S NAME WAS SHE SAYING? She hoped to see him later?! What? When had she-- Phillipa Tabitha Stonewall--hoped to see a boy? Granted he was a man but still! Almost drowning had deprived her of common sense, she was obviously ill! Maybe she was catching a col. It would make sense seeing as she was sopping wet...

While she was having this internal conflict she hadn't noticed that a carriage had approached her until the woman spoke to her. Pippa jerked her head up, and stammered for a bit. Unsure of what to say. Who was this woman anyway? She had never seen her before--

The wealthy newcomers! It had to be them!

Pippa nodded vigorously. "I'm quite fine, ma'am. I was just--" She couldn't tell them that she was coming to see them, that would seem odd. "having a swim." She finished, jerking her finger at the river. "My family is back at the manor--Err my home. I'm not lost or anything like that."

Leanne Aemilia gave a silent gasp as the dear lad fell back with a thud! Oh dear! He was certainly going to get a bump if they don't ice that quickly! Eliza pulled away from her grasp and for a slight moment, Leanne felt a stabbing pain that Eliza didn't want her. Then when she went to the poor dear lad, that pain desist immediately. It lasted a second, but the momentary pain left her stunned.

She nearly didn't react what Eliza said. Leanne shuffled her skirt and rummaged in her small purse, biting her lip a bit in habit. Where was her smelling salt? She was ever so certain that she always kept a spare in her purse! Eliza did have a strange habit of loosing hers. She never did understood why. 'Twas truly a mystery.

Straightening her back, she raised her head and turned to Allen who was giving her a slightly amused look. Oh! Right. The usual strange rule then. If it's not in her purse, it's in his pockets. Giving him an apologetic smile, she immediately reached in his pants and pulled it out.

And oh! So that's where her spare ribbon was! And her comb! It was truly a wonder how it had managed to fit in. Strange mysteries coming into play today. It was almost as if this place was slowly bringing everything out in the open.

If that was so, Leanne hoped the spiders stay away. It was not becoming of a lady of her position to seem so frazzled over such a ... creature. A disgusting, creeping, dirt bringing creature, but a creature nonetheless.

She patted Allen gently on the cheek and handed him the handkerchief he picked out for the day. She didn't know why it appeared in her purse. She was fairly certain that he had held it in his hands earlier today. Her silver-blue eyes met his and she rolled her eyes at him in amusement. Oh dear, sweet, sweet beloved Allen.

She watched as Allen assisted in helping the poor dear up and out the lawn. Leanne didn't understand, of course, as to why the poor lad needed to be brought outside, though sunlight would be most beneficial to him. Wouldn't a proper bed and pillow be a more comfortable to rest upon?

Is this one of the weird quirks of this little quaint town? She would have the lad tell her all. They seemed to of the same age...or younger. Leanne didn't know why, but she felt he was younger. Her motherly instincts were coming into play.

She knelt by the poor lad and wafted the smelling salts under his nose. Watching it take affect with a smile. She held him steady in her arms but then he started flailing about. Her smile quickly turned into a frown and backed away quickly into Allen's arms as the lad suddenly started screaming and screaming and screaming.

And something in her heart sort of understood. As if entranced, Leanne followed his strange gaze upward towards the direction of the house, and for a split second, a wisp of something floated into nothing. She gasped in Allen's arms, his arms around her tightened.

Then as quickly as the feeling of safety in her brother's arms, her mother's sharp claws held her arm tight and she was dragged into the carriage, nearly stumbling into the parson's arms as she did. She pulled quickly away. Another man's touch felt...no. It was simply wrong, she only ever felt family hold her.

She looked out the window, avoiding to look at Allen. Suddenly feeling betrayed, but she knew it wasn't his fault. That woman was always at fault. Always.

She glanced quickly at her sister as she awkwardly patted her knee to try and appease her odd longing. Leanne gave Eliza a broken smile. It's been so long.

Eliza never came to her anymore, and any moment where her siblings came back to her had become such a treasured joy. Leanne knew that Eliza was lonely growing up, and felt guilty but there was nothing she could do. The past has been written.

She held her sister's hand and squeezed lightly. She conveyed her gratitude even though her emotions would not stop. There was no stopping that, one cannot simply stop...feeling.

The carriage stopped and they saw a dear child, sopping wet, looking all so devastatingly sad. Her motherly heart reached out immediately. Leanne simply had to HAVE her. Well, not really have her. She was certain the child had parents, but what proper PARENTS would EVER let their child swim in a river alone?! In fact, she must have an escort! An ESCORT!

"Mother--" she spit out, "--we mustn't leave her! She'll have her death of a cold!"

Before the woman could respond, Leanne had opened the door. "What is it they call you?" she asked, her eyes glazing in concern. She smiled brightly. "Do come in! Do they live in the village?"

Leanne glanced at her brother and saw him sitting so stiffly and her heart went to him. Oh her beloved, she knew his pain, but there was a child that needed a mother's touch. One she was going to give gladly. Her sisters were growing and they were becoming independent. Her heart could not handle such pain.

This child. This child needed her love. Yes, she did.

As Eliza scolded Allen for calling the said scarecrow a corpse, Allen simply sighed. He resigned to his bad mood again, remembering how stubborn and somewhat incorrigible Eliza had become. He forced himself to do the right thing and not argue, he was far too exasperated to. How could one not be able to tell a dead body from a scarecrow, anyway?

It still didn't crush his fascination at the Angstrom father and son, as well as Wywolfe Estate itself. He said nothing as he helped the Pastor bring the Angstrom son onto the lawn although he did not think it necessary at all. He fondly watched as Leanne searched herself for her smelling salts (why did she even bring one around again?), a small grin forming on his lips. Really, his twin picked a good time to be her forgetful self. He let her take it out of his pants and took his handkerchief as she gave it to him.

The younger Angstrom stirred awake, but not in a good way. He looked startled, making Leanne back off onto him and he instinctively held her by the elbows. Finally back close to his sister calmed him a bit but the outside world was seemingly torturing the Angstrom lad. Dr. Angstrom had to cut in to take his son and dismiss the Kingsleys and Allen watched sadly as they disappeared into their house. He had so much to ask. Why keep a corpse in a bathroom? Surely the material of the walls would make that decompose quickly? Was that their point? The corpse didn't seem to be dead for too long too. How does one create maps of unknown places? Is it like how he memorized human anatomy from books? He rubbed his thumbs on Leanne, subconscious habit.

Unfortunately, their mother caught on to their clinging again pretty quickly and she pried him off Leanne, stuffing her into the carriage and seating his sisters together. Allen was placed between his parents, absolutely destroying his day. Whatever he hoped to salvage of his day was immediately wiped off his mind. He patiently controlled himself from having a fit as well, but his eyebrows betrayed his very annoyed thoughts. He wasn't going to give either parents any more reason to scold him, though. He sat stiffly as if between total strangers, his eyes on his shoes.

Perhaps later, they would have some time. Later, hopefully. Allen managed to calm himself with those thoughts.

His thoughts snapped back to the Wywolfe Estate. He was definitely visiting there again, soon. With Leanne, of course. he was the only one he'd trust to assist him as a doctor.

His mother and his two sisters spotted what seemed to be a child...of sorts? Oh, a child indeed as his mother began talking to her. Yes, it was a girl, soaking wet-his ears made sure. They can't just take her, can they?

Leanne opened the door and solidified Allen's guess: yes, they should truly take the child along, the poor thing. They will take care of her they way Eliza and Maria already grew out of. The twins' eyes met and they knew they shared thoughts. They shared the longing.

"I-I saw her!" Archie sobbed to his father. "She--she was--she was in that damned attic!" He yelled, his voice cracking and his hand motioning upwards. He was completely out of his sorts.
"Don't use such foul language, Archibald," His father scolded, but Archie wasn't having any of it.
"Why are we even still here?!" The son ranted on. "We ought to leave! Leave this damned town, this damned country side, all of these no-good wealthy bastards!"
"I said enough with that language!" His father spoke louder, but still keeping his composure. His son, try as he might, didn't. "They are our neighbors- our NEW neighbors, and you'll treat them with the respect we got when we moved from Roma."
"Why DID we move from Roma, again? Tell me, why did we move from our lovely home?"

Dr. Angstrom said nothing. He shook his head, and looked to his son. "Perhaps," He started, "When you are older--"
"Older. Older. Older!! Hell, I'm passing for a bloody adult, and you can't even tell me the simplest things! Older... I swear to you, when I'm as old as you think I ought to be, I'll get the truth out of you!" Archie now had tears of frustration peaking at his lids. "When I'm as old as I ought to be, I might actually be normal..."
"Archibald, come now, you're plenty normal--"
"No!" Archie yelled at him, which startled the Doctor. If he had a tail, it'd be between his legs. "I haven't been outside in years, father. YEARS. I haven't been out in public since we moved. Lord only knows when the last time I was face-to-face with one of our other neighbors was! Is that normal to you? Was what just happened normal, at all? I'm--this town--this country--this blasted nation isn't normal!"
"Look, I understand you're upset, but please calm down--"
"Was what happened to mother at all normal? Tell me, Doctor. " Archibald was about to go on with his rant, when his father slammed his fist down on a table. He saw cracks in the woodwork, and instantly shut up.

"Archibald Augustus Angstrom!!" The Doctor warned, nearly growling at his son. "Don't you bring my wife into this, young man!" He yelled at him. Archie recoiled, stepping back. He could have swore he saw pointed teeth. "Go to your room, now young man!"
"Father, please, I--"
He slammed his fist down on the table again, and he saw the blasted thing smash into two. "NOW!"

Archie couldn't have left fast enough. He was downstairs in a flash, and he didn't dare try to go back up.

Mrs. Kingsley nodded sagely and patted the girl on the head. The child had family, then, and wasn't truly a wastrel. That was good, with the parson there Mrs. Kingsley didn't want to have to commit to caring for the child if she turned out to be an orphan. No matter how the twins might be waiting to sink their delicate little fingers into her, there was simply no room in the house for such a wild, disheveled little thing. She could just see all the dirt the child would track in! Inwardly she shivered; it was going to be enough they they were going to offer the child a ride in the carriage. It would need to be thoroughly cleaned by the servants before it could be used again.
"Are you headed to town? We are headed that way just now to deliver Mr. Weston backto his dinner engagement and would be quite happy to take you as well. I am sure you will get along with my girls delightfully," she said, helping Pippa into the carriage and putting her between Leanne and Eliza. Eliza thought the girl smelled like river water, but she also looked wild and Eliza liked a little spirit.
"What's your name? I'm Eliza Kingsley," she said, reaching over to take Pippa's hand briefly. They were roughly the same shade of pale.

Soon they came into the village and Mrs. Kingsley deposited Mrs. Weston and Pippa.
"Give my regards to your family, dear, and ask them to come visit us sometime. All of our neighbors are always welcome in our home."

Eliza waved goodbye to the two as they turned back towards their own home. It was beginning to get dusky and Eliza noticed few of their neighbors were out of doors, many having already retired to their homes. The more the sun set the denser the fog along the road grew, carpeting the path to their home. A chill crept into the carriage and they were all very glad to be home by the time they arrived. There were no leaves in the house this time, thankfully, and Eliza escaped to the study to settle into the windowseat with a book before bed. The countryside was rife with a fog that seemed to isolate the house entirely and even blanket sound.

There appeared to be a sliver of fog moving faster than the other parts, and Eliza squinted into it. For the briefest of moments she saw the shine of animal eyes and gasped, the book flying to her mouth. As soon as it had happened it was over, but Eliza hurriedly closed the curtains and walked back out into the hall, paler than usual.
"I suppose I knew there would be animals in the country, but what animal doesn't have a body?" she mused to herself as she headed to her room.

The next morning's sun burned the fog away lazily, all of it not gone until early afternoon. Eliza was quiet at breakfast, still pondering what she had seen last night. She wasn't sure if she could trust her siblings not to think she was even more ill than she really was. She found herself looking forward to the pastor's visit, and hoped that perhaps the little Stonewall girl would come for a visit. Perhaps she would know what kinds of animals were in the countryside.

It was with a great relief that Henry finally managed to return to his own home. He didn't mind listening to the Fairfax girls playing the piano, he would simply prefer it if they could actually play. Not that he was complaining. The meal had been good, Mr. Fairfax was always full of interesting conversation, Henry just wished he could get though a day without someone throwing a daughter at him. If he were still in Roma no one would have given two cents about him, but here . . .

Henry sighed as he unlocked the door to the parsonage and let himself in, closing it behind him to keep the nature out, before stooping to pet the cat. "Hello, Cat," he murmured quietly stiffing a yawn, "What do you think hmmm? Maybe if I just chose one to pay attention to the rest would stop . . . problem is I don't particularly care enough to pay attention to any of them. Maybe if I were a feline like you things would be easier. Your only job is to catch mice and keep out the . . . well maybe I don't envy you so much after all." As he spoke Henry removed himself of his coat, boots, and waist coat, before lighting a lantern and settling down with a book before bed. For some reason he always felt more at home in his shirtsleeves. Years of an old habit that was hard to break he supposed. Still, one could not go about in their shirtsleeves in polite company.

Polite company, he leaned back in his chair musing. He had a visit to pay tomorrow. Cat took the opportunity to jump in his lap and as he reached a hand to scratched the white fur behind her ears. He sighed. "They're going to need a cat," he muttered, and as he spoke he could think of half-a-dozen other things that a family from the city might not even know they needed. Unwilling to ignore it for the evening he put the book aside, moved to his desk, and began making a list.

When he went to bed Cat made a point of curling up on his chest just to make sure he stayed there. Her purr lulled him to sleep.

The following morning Henry not only made his normal Monday rounds, but picked up a variety to things for the new country residents. When people realized what he was doing they laughed at him good naturedly, some even pointed out that it would be more fun to watch the new folk settle in and figure out matters for themselves. But still, several people gave him cards to deliver and by the time he set out to walk the distance to Brighton Manor he had a basket over one arm with various cards and gift, and a kitten mewing from his pocket.

On a good day at a fast pace he'd easily make the distance in a little over half an hour. Laden at he was, and enjoying the sweetness of the day, Henry let himself take double that time.

The two men living in the house kept to themselves that night. Archie was busy working on, well, anything to keep his mind off of his dad's outburst, and his father was just talking to the attic. He was talking of The Change that had happened. He did so in a whisper, so that way the boy wouldn't hear. Oh, poor boy. Poor, poor boy. Archie didn't sleep that night, nor did he very much in the passing nights. The only time he had seen his father all that night was during the dawn-- he guessed it, because there was a lovely view of the sunrise when he looked from the basement window.

And because his father sent him breakfast, and a large cup of coffee, like always. Archie looked at him, and looked down again. The Doctor did the same. Archie thanked him, apologized, and his father hugged him, and apologize. They missed their women in the family. They really did, but they were all they had left. Lord knew that Dr. Angstrom was so washed up, he couldn't even get a wench, and Archie was too nervous for company. They'd die together, and that was the truth... But it was comforting.

It was sometime around seven in the morning, and his father had made a house call to help deliver a child. A large one, by the sounds of it. Quintuplets! Who'd of thought that The Old Blind Man and his Hook-Handed Wide would have still had it in them? It was surprising... and mildly disturbing. Archie didn't dwell on it for too long. Instead, he decided to fiddle with some old maps he managed to find from his youth. They were embarrassing, really. Terribly drawn out and terribly executed. He might as well put them to good use.

Archie took the old maps, and took another trinket he had in his position. It was an old typewriter that he used to type out letters, but mostly for business. He had his own ink-stamp and everything! He carefully placed it into the machine, and began to type an apology to his new neighbors.

[spacer][spacer]"To whom it may concern and to those otherwise: Regards from The Angstrom Household and Company.
[spacer] It is my great displeasure to apologize to The Kingsley family. Not at all because I do not wish to apologize, but because I feel that I am furthermore wasting your time with this letter. My actions yesterday were unjustified, and greatly fueled by a dreadful deed known as, from what I and the books my father possesses, The Seed of Anxiety. I have a high functioning form, mostly going with travel. I cannot, and will not leave my house, nor my room because of it. It's personal, you see, and I apologize, once again, for causing a fool of myself, and my famILY/../.,/..,.,;HGFHJ??>"

The last part of his letter seemed very odd, and it was, too. He was startled by a loud knocking at the door, which he did not intend to welcome. But, when it only persisted, he sighed, and got up towards the corner. He looked through a curious telescope mechanism that he made a few months ago, which allowed him to see to the front of the house. It was simply a tube filled with pieces of mirrors, all expertly cut so that they may reflect from eacchother. He sighed, and knelt down a little-- he had a speaker system type of thing, that simply was the same idea, but sound waves bounced from one to another and out the other end.

"My father isn't here," Archie spoke into the speaker, watching the two twins fidget together. He sighed, because he knew that they couldn't leave now. What a strange pair. "Come towards the back, if you must. The door is open, so come down stairs if you wish."
[/spacer][/spacer][/spacer]

The wild child sitting with his sisters was quite a sight. Allen knew if he spoke of keeping the adorably messy girl, he'd only be met with trouble. But he had nothing but concern for her. She looked like a tough one, probably just like Eliza, seeing how they seemed to get along somehow.

When it was time to drop her and Mr. Weston, Allen's attention went right back to Leanne. They were definitely going tonight, that was all he had in mind. She caught his look again and what seemed to be a ghost of a smile played on her lips. Allen's worries were immediately quieted.

Sure enough after a quiet dinner, Allen put on his coat and his riding boots. He marched down to the stable to fetch his horse. The servants were used to him by now, the first week they moved here, he would take his horse and ride with Leanne off somewhere almost everyday.

And of course, Leanne got there, all dressed and ready while Allen was saddling his horse, Joseph. "It has been a long day, hasn't it?" He said, brushing his horse and taking Leanne's hand. "Are you sure you want to go?" He asked her, concerned.

"Come on, Lenny." She said, giving him a reassuring pat on the cheek. "We need this, you and I both know."

He nodded in understanding, helping her up and clambering up too. They quietly left, Allen having Joseph trot on a dust path where his hooves don't make much noise. When they were out of earshot of the Brighton Manor, Allen had Joseph gallop off to a certain clearing near a hill. They called it Fairy Pond for it was always aglow with fireflies for some reason at night. It looked magical and solemn and it was where they went every single time they rode out, after having moved to this new place. They discovered it together, one night.

Allen was going to help Leanne down when he felt a strange chill that extinguished the flame of her lantern.

"Did you hear that?" Leanne said, sounding cautious and looking around. Allen however, was looking closely at the pond. "We could come closer instead of sitting by here like last week."

"No, did you hear that?" Leanne repeated, clutching the stallion's mane. Allen looked around. It was far too foggy to see anything much, even the fireflies seemed to look rather dim, as if they were behind some kind of sheer curtain.

"Hear what?" Allen was fixated at the fireflies.

"That!" Leanne gasped, Joseph was becoming pretty restless too and Allen gripped the reins hard with one hand, Leanne's hand in the other. "No, I don't hear anything but the wind-"

He was unable to finish, something was definitely odd about the fireflies. They formed a neat little row now, gaily zooming about around the pond. Fireflies definitely don't do this, flying in single file.

"We should go." Allen said as calmly as he could, getting on his horse as discreetly as possible, as if to avoid being heard by the strangely behaving fireflies. Leanne was soothing Joseph but when Allen got to position, he had Joseph gallop right back home.

In a matter of minutes, they were in Allen's room, unsure of what happened. They both said nothing for a while until Allen took off his riding boots. "This isn't the first strange thing I saw." Leanne confessed, fiddling with the ribbon that kept her hair in a tidy plait as she sat on his bed. She pulled it off and let her platinum blond locks relax in its long waves. "Back at the Wywolfe estate, there was something in their attic. I saw it, Dr. Angstrom's son seemed to have seen it, too." Allen sighed in response. "They have a corpse in their house. I wouldn't put it past them to have a ghost in their attic."

"You think it's a ghost?" Leanne said, lying down. She looked at her brother who was restless, pacing about his room on bare feet. He put his vest on a chair and continued pacing.

"There's something very much wrong with this place." Allen said habitually touching his lower lip in deep thought. "I don't know all the possibilities but seeing the Wywolfe estate, Dr. Angstrom and his son...maybe they know a little something."

"Must we really get involved?" Leanne asked as Allen closed his windows and lay down on the opposite side of his bed so his head was right next to his twin's but his feet were right on the floor.

"Remember back then..." Allen said as their eyes met, "When we would go on our own adventures. Remember how we found the Lily Place?" It was a sort of an abandoned church, or a schoolhouse. Whichever it was, it was claimed by its new occupants, wild lilies of different types. That was their little getaway that they now replaced with the Fairy Pond. "Who knows what we'll find this time?"

"I don't suppose lilies are causing this strange events." Leanne deadpanned.

"Whatever it is, I want to find out." Allen said, determined. "Like a new adventure together."

"You know that I'll come with you anyway." She smiled.

"Well, you must get going." Allen said, getting up. "Let's go to the Wywolfe Estate first thing after breakfast."

Leanne didn't get up even as Allen walked off to his folding screen. "Can't I sleep here? Like we used to back then?"

Allen came out from behind the screen, not changed. He looked at her, wanting to say yes. There was one thing they hated about moving to Brighton Manor. When they were very little, they shared a room. As they grew up, their parents put them in "appropriate rooms" but were right by each other. After moving however, Mrs. Kingsley took the opportunity to make them both independent. She put Leanne in the East wing but with a balcony garden as consolation. Allen was placed at the West wing beside the study where shelves and shelves of reference books and his piano were placed.

"I know." She said coolly all of a sudden, getting up and walking to the door. "I can't. Good night, Lenny."

"Good night, Lily." He said, sitting down regretfully on his bed.

Fog still hung lazily in the air the next day, but that didn't stop the twins from visiting the Wywolfe Estate.

"I'm worried about Dr. Angstrom's son." Leanne said as Allen knocked on the door. "He doesn't seem too keen around people, don't you think?" She went on, looking at the Wywolfe Estate's doors anxiously. "I mean, I wonder when he last ate, oh, the poor thing. He's so skinny. He seems so frail."

"Is that what all those pastries are for?" Allen asked, pointing to the basket that hung on Leanne's elbow as she held Allen's arm. "Well, some are for you, of course." She shrugged.

"Do you fancy the Angstrom lad?" Allen asked frankly, eyebrows meeting.

"Oh Lenny." She giggled a little. "Your jealousy is cute!"

"Don't be ridiculous." Allen huffed, knocking even harder.

"My father isn't here." Came a voice all of a sudden, making them wince in surprise. Probably the younger Archibald. "Come towards the back if you must. The door is open, so come downstairs if you wish."

The twins looked at each other. "You heard that, right?" Allen asked, sounding amazed.

"Yes, where did it come from?" Leanne looked around.

"I suppose, judging from the sounds, it must be from a pipe-shaped thing, projecting the sound waves accurately from a distance." Allen analyzed. "He must be an inventor."

He hadn't been excited in days. Feeling her brother's spirits were high, Leanne was quite happy as they made their way inside from the said back door. "Hello?" They called out simultaneously. "Mr. Angstrom?" Leanne called. "I have some pastry-"

"What we mean is," Allen said, finding the stairs after a while, "Thanks for letting us in."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.